Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage 30th anniversary - opportunity to have your playlist of 30 songs aired

I just saw this on the rage website; no facebook post has been made on it yet that I've seen.

"RAGE 30: ENTER YOUR PLAYLIST

Rage is turning the big 3-0 so we're inviting you to program the show!

Submit your perfect playlist below and tell us the story behind it.

The very best will then be broadcast in Rage over our birthday weekend 14-17 April.

Make sure you take care when entering your contact details so that we can let you know if your playlist has been selected and when it will go to air.

Playlist submissions close on Friday 7th April 2017.

Looking for inspiration? Check out a selection of some of the most iconic music videos from the past three decades on our #Rage30 YouTube Playlists."

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/extras/

It's a pity about it being "the very best" playlist, rather than there being a more-objective selection process, like the last time time rage did this with the 6 degrees of separation special in 2010.

i.e. so playlists that don't contain a high proportion of 'alternative' artists probably won't win it

Re: rage 30th anniversary - opportunity to have your playlist of 30 songs aired

Hahahaha, I was about to start a thread for this very topic.

I saw the whole, check out this link for inspiration and when I read that I figured it would be leaning more towards 'Alternative' so called classic videos.

Anyhow, I still entered and this is what I submitted! ... Like your list Nathan, I am sure mine is too left field, dance and pop ...

These 5 videos and tracks I chose are all very special to me and to the early rage era. I grew up with Countdown and when Countdown ended in July 1987, music and video ended, so I thought ... BUT... then came rage at the very end of the Countdown era.

So rage was my next music video show savior and my word how it introduced me to so many new videos! ... As a lover of Dance Music, Electronic Music, Synth Pop and House Music, rage arrived just in time for the new era of Dance Music. When Smiley faces, Hands in the air on the Dance Floor, Ripped Jeans, Doc Martens and Boy London caps were all the rage on rage!

1. Dance Like A Mother with You Ain't So Tough, I chose this as it was one of the most striking videos of 1987. This video featured an all male bunch of models miming guitars and was the all 'Male' - answer and take off - to Robert Palmer's all 'Female' styled videos which have now become ICONIC. Terence Donovan who was the video director of Robert Palmer's iconic videos I Didn't Mean To Turn You On, Addicted To Love and Simply Irresistible featured a full female line up playing guitars. On Dance Like A Mother's - 'You Ain't So Tough' it's the all 'Male' models being the FOCUS. I think for those who have not seen this video, it will be interesting for them to see, seeing they would probably only know of Robert Palmer's all 'Female' models in videos.

2. The Big Supreme with Please Yourself was a slice of British POWER POP from 1987. A foot stomping big production which was vastly underrated and only played on Countdown once and reviewed by Molly with great praise. The track itself had a brilliant message 'Please yourself, when no one else is pleasing you' ... The video is fun, features an array of brilliant and tailored fashions with a big band, some great choreography and it's sassy and smart just as pop music should be!

3. Gene & Jim Get Into Shakes with Shake (How About A Sampling Gene?) is a video rage played HEAPS in 1988. rage would feature this video almost every Saturday night among all the other new House and Dance 'New Releases' at the time. I first saw this video and heard this track thanks to rage as you guys would play it on HIGH ROTATION!!!!! ... It's one of those early House Records of the time that I only saw on rage and no other program and then I bought the 12" single as part of a Dance Compilation titled Hi-Funk. Again, the video is colourful, fun and has a 'big band' cardboard set, a Marilyn Monroe 'Pop Art' cartoon replica, Jukeboxes, Horn playing and much more! ... This video is VINTAGE 'rage' for me so it's a very MUST on my list for rage culture!

4. Lou with Rookies Revenge was a video and track again which I first saw on rage. Again, rage played this video quite a lot on release back in the days when rage had no song title, but just the artist advertised on the video. I remember first seeing this video on rage and the big letters LOU appeared. I knew when I first saw this video and heard the track that it was a PWL related (Stock Aitken Waterman) HIT FACTORY production. It's a simple video of Lou dancing with a Male Dancer who would soon become one of Kylie Minogue's dancers! ... The track Rookies Revenge is one of 1988's most BRILLIANT pop funk records and it is also a VINTAGE 'rage' video for me. As you guys flogged this video :-) ... The band Climie Fisher released their first single 'Rise To The Occasion' with PWL also in 1988 after Lou's single 'Rookies Revenge' and sampled the whole backing track from Lou, Climie Fisher's 2nd single Love Changes Everything would become a huge hit in 1988 (I added the Climie Fisher reference as some interesting trivia) ...

5. Neneh Cherry's video for Manchild is for me one of THE THE THE most ICONIC videos and singles of 1989. The video features Barry Kamen who died in 2015, Barry Kamen was one of the leading 'Buffalo Boys' of the late 80s and was a successful model in the UK posing all the latest then 'Buffalo Boy' fashions and brother of Nick Kamen who's debut single 'Each Time You Break My Heart' was written by Madonna and Madonna also does backing vocals on the track (again, some trivia). Neneh Cherry's debut album 'Raw Like Sushi' for me is one of THE most ICONIC debut albums of 1989 and it's her best, as good as Buffalo Stance was and is, it's Manchild which really shows off Neneh's song writing, artistic direction in a video and beautifully displayed video. I met Neneh Cherry on her last tour of Austraila in 2015 and discussed this video with her in great depth and again it was played heaps on rage on release and many programmers since have chosen it.

My list represents the videos of early rage in it's first few years and these videos and tracks are important as only shows like rage would play many of these videos at the time. And thanks to rage I was exposed to these videos and tracks which have become among some of my all time favourites!

Thank You
Jason

^ Do they specify how many songs you can choose? I don't think I'm going to enter, as I won the last one

Boring Mardi Gras special this year... full of videos they've aired in recent years I emailed them a short list of suggestions, but none of those were selected.

I'm assuming you submit 30 songs? That would be your playlist and they will select many 'winners' and play each playlist back to back. Correct me if I'm wrong

It only let me submit 5 videos. And onw could only submit videos from 1987 on wards which is CRAP!

And yes Nathan, the Mardi Gras special is the sammmme olllllld hat videos they always play.

I didn't expect anything other than the usual stuff ...

I don't think I'll enter, because the clips I'd like them to play are rare clips that I don't have, hence are not well known and possibly even not in the rage library.

For an anniversary show such as this I would totally expect them to play well known clips that caters to the nostalgia of the audience, as they did for their 20th and 25th anniversary shows. In which case I either already have the clips or am not interested in the clips.

I hope they play Windowlicker again. That hardly ever gets an airing.

I too would only be interested in rare eighties videos, and I doubt my selections would be played. Mainstream, yes, but clips that haven't been played since they were released.
Last year I requested 'It's Your Move' by Zan, and heard nothing more of it. Whether they have it or not I don't know. There's a Wa Wa Nee video from MTV on youtube, which has a "coming Up : Zan' insert, but the video remains elusive.

I'm going to pick common stuff to get my name up in lights! 😉

5 clips is ridiculous. They should let you pick 30 videos and they have to be one from each year from 1987 onwards and if you f u c k up and select two vids from the same year ie don't know your music and release dates then your out....Next!

I posted this here a while ago, but someone added this to the rage wikipedia page months ago:

Thirtieth Anniversary special
Rage's 30th anniversary occurred during April 2017. The nation will celebrate with a week of programming including two specially produced documentaries which will explore the uniquely Australian experience of watching the influential music show. The first will celebrate the incredible history of rage and explore its influence on Australian music and culture. The program will feature a plethora of musical talent and songs from across the decades, musicians whose work has been a mainstay of rage but who were also viewers themselves. The second, Songs from the Red Couch: 30 Years of Guests rage Programmers, will delve into the archives to relive some classic moments from our studio. Out of the thousands of songs programmed by our guests over the years a few have been chosen multiple times; those are songs that have resonated with artists from all genres, ages, genders and nationalities. Essentially this list makes up the best music videos of all time.

It doesn't mention this competition; maybe plans have changed, or the info above is not accurate (no source was provided).

The rage website still has the '28 years of music videos' slogan on it A sign of how much they've dropped the ball with updating this kind of basic stuff.

Michael, really, one song from each year?

Well then I am out of the competition as I chose 2 videos from 1987 and then 2 videos from 1988, ooooops.

Just my thoughts there Jason, but i have come up with my Top 5. They are going to be from our dearly departed multi million selling artists of the 80s who all had an album and a video in 1987, which being the start of rage. 'Whitney' - Whitney Houston,'Sign of The Times' - Prince, 'Faith' - George Michael, 'Bad' - Michael Jackson, 'Time Will Crawl' - David Bowie. Now I've just got to pick a single/video from each album? Surely the rage provrammers will like this playlist? It's themed! 😃 which is what they love.

Oops....'Never Let Me Down' - David Bowie

I could select the album title singles, but 'Whitney' throws a spanner in the works.

Well, Richard Wilkins (the f@#ker) stole my idea. He did a music report on Today yesterday morning talking about the great albums of 1987 and most of those by departed artists. . I'm abandoning this idea now. Anyway, had a think about it and here is my Top 5 that I submitted:

Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
The Way - Fastball
Big Love - Fleetwood Mac
Mirrors - Justin Timberlake
Patience - Guns n Roses

I won't bore you with my reasons for picking these songs. They're not my ideal playlist, but have to keep the rage guys happy and for me to get a look in. Don't get me wrong, I love these songs and I just hope they still have the video for 'Runaway Train' - can't say I've seen it on rage recently. I also had to span the songs out over the years, ie picking 'Mirrors' from 2013.

When I submitted, they said we may play or all one of your videos. WTF? I guess if people have submitted the same songs/videos then it will be silly to play a song numerous times over the weekend. I was also being selective too, thinking that any of my songs won't be replicated in someone else's playlist.

Michael
Well, Richard Wilkins (the f@#ker) stole my idea. He did a music report on Today yesterday morning talking about the great albums of 1987 and most of those by departed artists.

Mel & Kim 'F.L.M'

Michael
here is my Top 5 that I submitted:

Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
The Way - Fastball
Big Love - Fleetwood Mac
Mirrors - Justin Timberlake
Patience - Guns n Roses

I won't bore you with my reasons for picking these songs. They're not my ideal playlist, but have to keep the rage guys happy and for me to get a look in. Don't get me wrong, I love these songs and I just hope they still have the video for 'Runaway Train' - can't say I've seen it on rage recently. I also had to span the songs out over the years, ie picking 'Mirrors' from 2013.

The original Australian video (each country it was released in had different missing people) for 'Runaway Train' featured several of the backpacker murder victims... whose bodies were found while it was in the charts!

A second edit was subsequently made, with new missing persons in their place, which I've uploaded to my Vimeo account here - https://vimeo.com/196389137

There was a site I saw a few months ago which had updates on some of the missing people featured in the video (from various countries).

I saw a disc someone sent me a while ago with 'Runaway Train' on the playlist, presumably the Australian version, but I haven't checked yet whether it was the first or second edit.

Nice bit of info there Nathan. I checked out your vimeo and the clip is taken from the Top 60 of 1993. I have this also. It's starting to become vintage now hey?