Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: At Nathan regardign Countdown Friday

ohnoitisnathan
Brad
I used to enjoy Power Cuts, because the weekday edition featured songs that debuted on the lower half of the ARIA top 100 (with the number), before I'd seen the information anywhere else. I always recall seeing the episode featured in Nathan's post, with 'Martika's Kitchen', and one with "Spending My Time', when then debuted in the sixties or seventies.I subscribed to the ARIA report at the time, but wouldn't receive it til the following Monday.

What was the show on the ABC circa 1994, that featured a rundown of the top ten on a Thursday? I recall seeing "I Believe' by Marcella Detroit and 'Pray' by Take That on it the week they entered the top ten.

It may be a false memory, but I was fairly sure I caught Vanessa Williams' 'Running Back To You' on Power Cuts with a chart position next to it... until finding out that it missed the top 100. But after finding out that it peaked at #102, it may have actually had #102 beside it.

I remember seeing Seal's 'Killer' on Power Cuts, and have a recording of it still. Though I think it was the week it debuted at #95, which would have been later than the playlist above, from memory (i.e. it was also aired later on).

I don't remember any ABC show in 1994 showing the top 10 other than rage. Though there was Vidiot, the game show aimed at teens. I don't remember ever seeing a top 10 chart on it though.

You might be thinking of Take 40 TV, which aired on Channel 10 on Sunday night, hosted by Eden Gaha, from late '93 (I think October-ish) until at least March 1994. It's where I first saw the video for Marcella Detroit's 'I Believe'. From memory it had a top 10 chart at the end; but I thought it had finished by the time 'I Believe' reached the top 10 (early July). The ARIA Report might shed some light on when it began and finished.

Thanks. It wasn't Take 40 TV or Vidiot. I'm sure it was on the ABC at about 5:30/6 on weeknights, similar to Countdown Revolution (which had finished by this time). I'm also pretty sure it was a half hour clip show, with the top ten at the end.
It isn't listed on here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_music_television_shows either, but I know I'm not imagining it. It wasn't on Foxtel (Galaxy) either, like Molly Meldrum's "The Drum", because I (and probably no one in Australia) had pay tv in 1994.

and another one. Note that the MTV list does not distinguish between what is a video and what is a live performance.

Brad
Thanks. It wasn't Take 40 TV or Vidiot. I'm sure it was on the ABC at about 5:30/6 on weeknights, similar to Countdown Revolution (which had finished by this time). I'm also pretty sure it was a half hour clip show, with the top ten at the end.
It isn't listed on here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_music_television_shows either, but I know I'm not imagining it. It wasn't on Foxtel (Galaxy) either, like Molly Meldrum's "The Drum", because I (and probably no one in Australia) had pay tv in 1994.

The only other shows listed in the ARIA Report from that period is Live & Sweaty, which was the Andrew Denton-hosted show airing at night I'm pretty sure, and Big Soup Music - Tas TV, whatever that is (a show airing only in Tasmania)?

Guru Bob might be able to help with checking the TV guide from mid '94.

There was the Afternoon Show too, of course, but I'm sure you don't mean that. Sometimes the ABC would air a single music video in between The Afternoon Show and whatever program began at 6pm - at least in early 1996, but not a top 10 Countdown (that I saw anyway).

Found it in an online tv guide, it must have been called 'Loud'.

11 April – Michael Tunn, the host of the ABC's Afternoon Show returns with a brand new music series called Loud as a replacement for the weekday afternoon magazine show that was axed in late 1993. The show includes music videos as well as reviews on movies and video games, feature stories on youth culture, musicians talking about their favourite music videos and on location interviews with bands and will be shown from Monday to Thursday at 5:30 pm.

TV Guide for 28th and 29th April 1994

I don't suppose you happen to still have any copies of M.C. Tee Vee laying around? I'd be very appreciative to take a look at them.

Re: At Nathan regarding Countdown Friday

I've got scans of all the Music Video Airplay pages from The ARIA Report between 26/09/1991 - 20/11/1992 which I'm willing to trade for scans from after these dates until 1995 or videos of M.C. Tee Vee (full of part episodes - regardless of quality).

Rexamillian
I don't suppose you happen to still have any copies of M.C. Tee Vee laying around? I'd be very appreciative to take a look at them.
No, unfortunately. I have one or two videos recorded from The Noise, but that's it. I used to watch them on a TV that didn't have a VCR attached, back in the day, so didn't normally record things from these two programs.