Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FULL ARCHIVAL DETAILS for 'rage goes retro' 4 ... THIS WEEKEND * Saturday 28th January, 2017

It can't be the 9/2/1980 as the first episode for 1980 was 3/2/1980 and Guru's list that he sent me many years ago has Ted Mulry as 10/2/1980. So maybe the Ellen Foley ep is 9/3/1980 as rage said?

Re: FULL ARCHIVAL DETAILS for 'rage goes retro' 4 ... THIS WEEKEND * Saturday 28th January, 2017

Fantastic to get another 5 episodes of Countdown. That's 17 episodes shown this season which is excellent considering there were just the 4 weekends.

I had previously requested the Ellen Foley episode on the old messageboard as it is the oldest episode in the archives (excepting the unbroadcastable 1978 Adelaide Festival show) that I hadn't seen and it looks like a good show. I will be interested to see if Ellen performs Stupid Girl live or they show the clip. From the guide it looks like a clip but I have seen plenty of errors in how those have been recorded in the past and you would hope they get the guest to perform.

Great to get a good version of the Jo Kennedy/Starstruck episode.

Also really looking forward to the Joan Armatrading episode which I haven't seen before. Nicholas is correct that it is show 385.

No GTK's shown at all after they had mentioned it in the first promo. I would rather see Countdown anyhow but they could have played a few of them on the Saturday morning shows instead of common clips.

Overall, as a Countdown fan, I feel it has been another brilliant January. However, with so many common clips shown on Saturday mornings and some on the nights, I would rather they played GTK, Hitscene, Flashez segments, Beatbox, Countdown Revolution or live performances from The Factory, Blah Blah Blah and 10:30 Slot instead and they would have been able to keep everyone happy at the same time without reducing the number of Countdowns shown.

Nice to have five episodes of Countdown, all from the early eighties. Looking forward to the Ellen Foley episode too, as there are no good quality versions of 'Stupid Girl' around ("live" or the video).
Jo Jo Zep's 'Losing Game' is also scarce, and 10cc's 'Feel The Love' in good quality.

Guru Bob, when you get time, would you mind posting (or updating) the list of unrepeated Countdowns remaining after this year?

I'm not complaining... but I would have liked a wider span of Countdowns shown this year.

The tally for each year this year was:

1980 - 3
1981 - 3
1982 - 4
1983 - 4
1984 - 1
1985 - 1
1986 - 1
1987 - 0

Also, some episodes this year repeated the same songs/artists, e.g. a Countdown with that Queen song at #1 has already aired, Divinyls' 'Siren' has too I think, Michael Jackson's 'One Day In Your Life'. I know some of that is inevitable, though.

Maybe it is the 9/3/1980 then... I don't know why my archives say 09/02/1980, arghhhhhhhhh.

I will check the paper archives the ABC gave me as well and get back to you

Guru also lists it as 10/2/80 as Ted Mulry in a recent thread 'Countdown episodes that rage has still to air'.

Okay, so you think Ellen Foley is 10/02/1980?

I haven't watched the full Ellen Foley ep yet, but did Molly mention Judi Tzuke from the week before or Steve Gilpin next week, which will then confirm it is 9/3/1980?

Jason 'The Moderator"

9/3/1980. So there is no 9/2/80. An error. 10/2/80 is Ted Mulry and there's no playlist for it in your archives. So it must be 9/3/80. I'm sure Guru Bob will confirm this when he's back on the forum.

Okay, so rage are right and my archives are wrong. Darn ABC, wish they would put right dates down when buying archival info!

Yes, but at least we worked it out. 😃

Michael
Jason 'The Moderator"

9/3/1980. So there is no 9/2/80. An error. 10/2/80 is Ted Mulry and there's no playlist for it in your archives. So it must be 9/3/80. I'm sure Guru Bob will confirm this when he's back on the forum.

1980 was a leap year, so 9th Feb would have been a Saturday due to Feb not being exactly 4 weeks.

But that also means that there is no playlist for the Ted Mulry episode in your archives (only saying 'yours' so people don't think i'm referring to the ABC archives) and there is no 9/3/1980 episode in your achives, so 9/2/80 needs to move to a newly created 9/3/1980 and create one for 10/2/80 and ask the ABC ''where's my ******* Ted Mulry playlist'?

Judie Tzuke wasn't mentioned or Steve Gilpin

10/02/1980 is listed in my archives, I just checked;

Year:1980
Date:10/02/1980
Show no:226
Summary:GUEST PRESENTER IS TED MULRY FROM TED MULRY GANG.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
STOCKLEY SEE MASON 'LUCY'
EDITH BLISS 'IF IT'S LOVE YOU WANT'
JOHNNY CHESTER & HOTSPUR 'I LOVE YOU SO REBECCA'
TED MULRY GANG 'SAVE ME'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS MUSIC CLIPS:
QUEEN 'CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE'
GARY NUMAN 'ARE FRIENDS ELECTRIC','CARS','COMPLEX'
LEIF GARRETT 'MEMORISE YOUR NUMBER'
BLONDIE 'UNION CITY BLUE'
CLIFF RICHARD 'CARRIE'
SPLIT ENZ 'I GOT YOU'
DISCO CHECK:
BONNIE POINTER 'HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU'
AMII STEWART 'JEALOUSY'
NICK STRAKER 'WALK IN THE PARK'
RITZ 'LOCOMOTION'
OVERSEAS HUMDRUM ITEMS:
HEAD BOYS 'THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME'
B-52'S 'ROCK LOBSTER'
BOOMTOWN RATS 'DIAMOND SMILES'
SPECIALS 'MESSAGE TO YOU RUDI'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
COLD CHISEL 'CHOIR GIRL'
MI-SEX 'COMPUTER GAMES'
JACKSONS 'BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE'
JUDY TZUKE 'STAY WITH ME TILL DAWN'
STYX 'BABE'
COLLEEN HEWETT' DREAMING MY DREAMS OF YOU'
POLICE 'MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE'
BUGGLES 'VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR'
KC AND THE SUNSHINE BAND 'PLEASE DON'T GO'
RUPERT HOLMES 'ESCAPE'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH'

ohnoitisnathan
Michael
Jason 'The Moderator"

1980 was a leap year, so 9th Feb would have been a Saturday due to Feb not being exactly 4 weeks.

And the 80's first show was 3/2

Oh cool, so 10/2/80 is in your archives. Soz must have overlooked it, but yeah does confirm that the Ellen Foley ep is 9/3/1980. Yes, darn ABC, but now you only have to complain about the wrong '82 episode being played on Sat. night. Unless you also wanna tell them about the wrong Rock Arena episode too?

Oh cool, so 10/2/80 is in your archives. Soz must have overlooked it, but yeah does confirm that the Ellen Foley ep is 9/3/1980. Yes, darn ABC, but now you only have to complain about the wrong '82 episode being played on Sat. night. Unless you also wanna tell them about the wrong Rock Arena episode too?

Soz for posting twice....darn phone!

I wasn't going to complain when I call rage about what I thought was the wrong date for Ellen Foley.

I will be calling them about the 11th April, 1982 that was advertised and not played and I may as well mention the wrong date for Rock Arena as well which wasn't played on weekend 3 ....

Well hopefully they fix up one of their mistakes and pkay the right Countdown ep during the week.

Michael
Well hopefully they fix up one of their mistakes and pkay the right Countdown ep during the week.

While that would be great for us, I can just imagine now a bunch people complaining on facebook that they didn't know about it (even if rage make a special post alerting viewers - as unless you actually check the rage page regularly, you may not see it in your feed).

Michael
I'm sure Guru Bob will confirm this when he's back on the forum.

It looks like you have it worked out anyhow but the following is the start of the 1980 Countdowns that were aired with their episode number and dates that Rage have shown them. Ellen Foley is March 9 1980 as per the onscreen info.

225 February 3 1980 Molly (1st show for 1980) (2004)
226 February 10 1980 Ted Mulry (Ted Mulry Gang)
227 February 17 1980 Daryl Braithewaite (2011)
228 February 24 1980 Darryl Cotton (2017)
229 March 2 1980 Judie Tzuke (2013)
230 March 9 1980 Ellen Foley (2017)
231 March 16 1980 Steve Gilpin (Mi-Sex)
232 March 23 1980 Robin Scott (M) (1995, 2003)
233 March 30 1980 Racey (2013)
234 April 6 1980 Christie Allen (2009)
235 April 13 1980 TV Week Rock Music Awards (2009)

The disappointing one was advertising the Starstruck episode and then showing the Duran Duran one instead. I think the problem there arose from the fact that both episodes have been recorded in the ABC archives as being transmitted on Saturday April 17 and there is nothing recorded in the archives as having been shown on Sunday April 11 where a standard Countdown had definitely aired according to the TV guides.

I had always assumed that the Starstruck episode must have been shown on April 11 but it may have been the Duran episode. I have it recorded in my records as:

322 April 4 1982 Jon English (2016)
323 April 11 1982 Ross O’Donovan & Jo Kennedy (Starstruck)
323/1 April 17 1982 Duran Duran (2005, 2017)
- April 18 1982 1981 Countdown Awards (2009)
325 April 25 1982 Split Enz (2015)

It is also possible that whatever was shown on April 11 was repeated on April 17 and one of the two episodes may never have aired originally - most likely to have been the Duran one if that was the case.

Certainly both episodes didn't air on the same night. The two episodes are both officially recorded as episode 323 (with the Duran Duran one being 323/1) and both transmitted April 17. Interestingly there is no episode 324. The Awards shows were never numbered so the Duran one probably should have been 324 rather than 323/1.

I will probably have to look through episodes 322, 323 and 323/1 and see if they mention information that will solve this mystery.

Either way, if you advertise the Starstruck episode then surely you would have located that tape or did someone from Rage just send down a message to the archives room that they wanted episode 323 and whoever works there just grabbed the wrong tape as a result not realising there were two episode 323's.

Guru Bob

I had always assumed that the Starstruck episode must have been shown on April 11 but it may have been the Duran episode.

The Duran episode that aired this weekend was definitely originally broadcast on the 17th. It says that the Countdown Music Awards are "tomorrow night", and on screen it then has the date for them of Sunday 18th April.

Guru,

Yes... On Friday when rage listed the episodes that they were going to play I to wasn't quite sure what was going on with the show numbers 323, so I can see how the wrong episode was played. But again, rage should have checked the tapes as they advertised Jo Kennedy.