Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Episodes of Countdown that Rage have not aired (2017 update)

Thanks GuruBob - always useful to have the updated lists to tell us exactly where we are all at with this. Another very good Summer of Countdowns about to reach its conclusion and another 17 shows never screened before on Rage so very good overall.

With regards to Countdown Friday, yes looks like only 3 episodes in total have survived at all. It wasnt a particularly exciting show, just playing video clips that would normally have made it to Countdown shows but due to lack of time and space they ended up showing them on the alternative show instead. It was only for a period of 1982 that this show lasted, and of course you see the little yellow logo "Countdown Friday" occassionally plastered across the screen during a partial play on a regular Countdown episode which indicated that you could catch the full length version on the following Fridays show. I think we saw this on one of the 1982 shows screened this Summer.

Countdown Flipside was a clip request show (hosted by John Peters), from the 1983 period but I think it finished up at the end of 1983. I dont think any episodes were retained - I do have a few domestic recordings on VHS though including a couple of full shows and many partials. I used to tape clips a lot back in the day. One of the episodes has an old football finals 1983 score plastered across the screen I do recall that. I am sure I transferred all those to DVD a while back, will need to recheck. Interesting that they could be the only surviving copies, maybe Id better get copies back to the ABC!!

Regarding Friday Countdowns, the Kent Music Report (who compiled a national chart from 1974 to 1998, with ARIA licensing it between mid-1983 and mid-June 1988) published Countdown playlists. Here's one with a Friday playlist, thanks to Brad:

edit - coincidentally, this is the same one that Guru Bob mentioned above, though missing the clips that weren't shown in all states.

Brett (2)

You have full episodes of Countdown Flipside!

WOW

So you had a VCR in 1983 and could afford to record full shows seeing videotape was ,mega expensive then.

How FABULOUS!!!!!

I knwo Countdown Friday was only around a short time in 1982 but sometimes some of the clips shown in Humdrum on the Sunday would say with the yellow strip 'Countdown Friday' for the following Friday. So sometimes some more rarer clips made it to Countdown Friday. Again, the Duran Duran COUNTDOWN performance of My Own Way was one of them only shown on Countdown Friday. rage have that performance and they have played it twice luckily as I wanted it for years and was never ab;e to locate it on any 1982 episode.

Here's the earliest Flipside program I saw listed in the Kent Report:

Wow, see I thought Flipside sometimes played some rare things.

Yuki Takahashi with Murdered By The Music, that was only played in a Hundrum on Countdown. Glad that Sardine V and Sandie Shaw got an extra play as well as they only both got played once on Countdown.

And YAY, Like A Ghost got played again. I don't know the Boys Brigade track ...

And The Numbers with Big Beat

Here's one with a Monitors song for which no video (or even an audio-only clip) is on YouTube:

Jason 'The Moderator"
Wow, see I thought Flipside sometimes played some rare things.

Yuki Takahashi with Murdered By The Music, that was only played in a Hundrum on Countdown. Glad that Sardine V and Sandie Shaw got an extra play as well as they only both got played once on Countdown.

And YAY, Like A Ghost got played again. I don't know the Boys Brigade track ...

And The Numbers with Big Beat

I should have mentioned - (P) means only a partial video was shown. The Sunday show is just the regular Countdown; the Friday playlist is the Flipside.

ohnoitisnathan
Here's one with a Monitors song for which no video (or even an audio-only clip) is on YouTube:

Nathan
I have just uploaded the last two videos that The Monitors released as they are quite rare. They were on YouTube for a very short time about 6 years ago and I was fortunate that Lee managed to rip them for me before they disappeared. I don't know why they were removed but in case they get removed and they are of interest to you I suggest that you copy them.

Who Did You Think It Was? released August 1982
https://youtu.be/UtGFY72ZYus

Having You Around released December 1982
https://youtu.be/_FuQeqx0RAc

Guitarist Mark Moffat (not to be confused with Matt Moffitt of the band Matt Finish) went on to become a successful producer and is seen later in the 80's on Countdown Awards shows winning awards for his producing for bands such as Mondo Rock, Mental As Anything, The Saints, Tim Finn, Renee Geyer, Jimmy & The Boys etc.

Singer Terry McCarthy went on to be a successful advertising executive according to wikipedia

Ricky Fataar also went on to produce for a number of bands such as Crowded House, Jenny Morris and Wendy Matthews.

Gayle and Gillian Blakeney appeared in all 4 of the clips (although Kim Durant did the vocals that they mimed to on Singing In The 80's) before going on to host Wombat and appear on Neighbours

That Friday Countdown Sept 17 1982 episode would have been nice to get as it also has Eurogliders - Laughing Matter and Peter Cupples on it.

WOW, No Laughing Matter by Eurogliders video. Such a stunning clip, it was on You Tube in pretty poor shape but was amazing to see.

I also got the Monitors videos off Lee some years ago as well, they are so BRILLIANT!

Guru Bob

Nathan
I have just uploaded the last two videos that The Monitors released as they are quite rare. They were on YouTube for a very short time about 6 years ago and I was fortunate that Lee managed to rip them for me before they disappeared. I don't know why they were removed but in case they get removed and they are of interest to you I suggest that you copy them.

Who Did You Think It Was? released August 1982
https://youtu.be/UtGFY72ZYus

Having You Around released December 1982
https://youtu.be/_FuQeqx0RAc

Guitarist Mark Moffat (not to be confused with Matt Moffitt of the band Matt Finish) went on to become a successful producer and is seen later in the 80's on Countdown Awards shows winning awards for his producing for bands such as Mondo Rock, Mental As Anything, The Saints, Tim Finn, Renee Geyer, Jimmy & The Boys etc.

Singer Terry McCarthy went on to be a successful advertising executive according to wikipedia

Ricky Fataar also went on to produce for a number of bands such as Crowded House, Jenny Morris and Wendy Matthews.

Gayle and Gillian Blakeney appeared in all 4 of the clips (although Kim Durant did the vocals that they mimed to on Singing In The 80's) before going on to host Wombat and appear on Neighbours

That Friday Countdown Sept 17 1982 episode would have been nice to get as it also has Eurogliders - Laughing Matter and Peter Cupples on it.

Thanks for that. My guess is that those videos weren't specifically removed, but that the user who uploaded them's account was probably suspended after receiving 3 non-expired copyright strikes. Copyright strikes now expire after a set no. of months (I think it's 6 months for the first one; the time extends if you get a second strike before the first has expired, and you lose your account when you get 3 non-expired strikes); originally they never expired, and if you got 3 strikes ever, your account was terminated. It's why I now have 77 channels and counting I haven't lost a channel since spreading videos across multiple channels; though I've had many more than 3 strikes across the channels combined in that time.

Here's another one that may be of interest. They're not listed in every Kent Report (or maybe Flipside wasn't on every Friday?); some weeks they just have the Sunday playlist, or the 2 most-recent Sunday episodes.

Thanks Guru Bob for the Monitors videos, I'd never seen or heard those songs before. It's great that they kept the continuity of having the Blakeney twins in all 4 videos.

Nathan, I just noticed in that latest Countdown scan, a single by The Dugites I'd never heard of. Seems they had quite a few non-charting singles between their hits.

Does anyone know why Divinyls 'Only Lonely' was 'LP only' in Australia (as is listed on one of those Countdown playlists)? I heard it a lot on radio, and there were 2 music videos filmed for it. It seems strange that they didn't release it as a single locally, as it no doubt would have been a big (well, top 20 probably) hit for them.

I always assumed that 'Only Lonely' had been a single, due to the airplay it received. Being "LP only" would explain why it didn't chart, and it isn't listed on 45cat either.

267 November 23 1980 Ross Wilson (Mondo Rock)
< I hope they play this episode one day, as it contains the only known performance by Tina Turner of 'Are You Breaking My Heart' (which exists on youtube in fuzzy VHS quality from a TV1 (Foxtel) broadcast of just the clip, as they did sometimes between non-music tv shows.

ohnoitisnathan
Does anyone know why Divinyls 'Only Lonely' was 'LP only' in Australia (as is listed on one of those Countdown playlists)? I heard it a lot on radio, and there were 2 music videos filmed for it. It seems strange that they didn't release it as a single locally, as it no doubt would have been a big (well, top 20 probably) hit for them.

It wasn't released as a single itself but was part of the Casual Encounter 3 track single as a B Side in August 1983 - over a year after it was performed on Countdown. It originally appeared on the Monkey Grip album. It was released as a single in the US and Japan but not in Australia.
 photo divinyls_zpst5susx2r.png

ohnoitisnathan
My guess is that those videos weren't specifically removed, but that the user who uploaded them's account was probably suspended after receiving 3 non-expired copyright strikes. Copyright strikes now expire after a set no. of months (I think it's 6 months for the first one; the time extends if you get a second strike before the first has expired, and you lose your account when you get 3 non-expired strikes); originally they never expired, and if you got 3 strikes ever, your account was terminated. It's why I now have 77 channels and counting I haven't lost a channel since spreading videos across multiple channels; though I've had many more than 3 strikes across the channels combined in that time.

With the ContentID system (where copyright content is automatically detected, and copyright owners set monetisation rules and get a tiny amount of revenue per play) you have to try pretty hard to get a copyright strike, or be very unlucky.

First, if something is not even detected by ContentID (I suspect those two Monitors clips are unknown ) then it is unlikely you'll get hit. The only way would be for the copyright owner to manually discover you've uploaded it and file a compliant - there is no automatic notification to them because YouTube didn't detect any copyrighted content.

Uploading something that is blocked worldwide by the ContentID system, and then publishing it, is the easiest way to get a strike. You need to check your Video Manager after uploading to see whether what you just uploaded is blocked worldwide. If is it, don't push the "publish" button. If you never publish the video you won't get a copyright strike because no-one else can find them. I have about ten videos on my channel that are blocked worldwide that I've never published.

You can get unlucky and have stuff that is permitted according to the ContentID system, but then have action taken against it anyway. This happened to me a few times, usually a video that a record company decided to officially upload years after I had, but back in the days when if you deleted that video you immediately got your good standing back.

Nowadays deleting the video won't help. I've only ever got one strike (takedown notice), and that was for uploading a video that is for sale on iTunes (but I didn't realise it at the time, and the ContentID system didn't say it was blocked worldwide, which is normally the case for videos that are on iTunes).

I served out my 6 months and have been more careful since. I'm still on my original channel after 8 years. If it ever gets shut down, I'm probably done with YouTube, I couldn't be bothered doing it all again.

Jason 'The Moderator"
WOW, No Laughing Matter by Eurogliders video. Such a stunning clip, it was on You Tube in pretty poor shape but was amazing to see.

Yes, WOW, we must all request that Countdown Episode be played next retro season (if ABC still has it?). That clip is so rare, and the song itself has never been released on CD or any digital source.

I had a go on my channel at 'fixing up' the poor quality YouTube rips of that clip, the end result is slightly better but still not great. I would so love an HQ copy

Guru Bob

1982 52 episodes made (summer shows pre-recorded in 1981), 37 shown with 15 still to air. Also at least 3 episodes - No. 10, 19 and 20 - of Countdown Friday (clip show hosted by John Peters) exist

- January 3 1982 Molly (Summer Special #3 New Zealand Invasion)
- January 10 1982 Molly (Summer Special #4 Export bands)
316 February 21 1982 Alex Smith (Moving Pictures)
327 May 9 1982 Martha Davis (The Motels)
330 May 30 1982 Ray and Dennis (Dr Hook)
336 July 11 1982 James Reyne (Australian Crawl)
341 August 15 1982 Greedy and Peter (Mental As Anything)
343 August 29 1982 Annalise Morrow (The Numbers)
344 September 5 1982 Billy Miller (The Great Blokes/ex Ferrets)
345 September 12 1982 John Farnham and Derek Pellicci (Little River Band)
346 September 19 1982 Globos
351 October 31 1982 no host (Advance Australia theme - songs introduced by live acts)
355 November 28 1982 Tim Finn
356 December 5 1982 Wendy Stapleton (Wendy & The Rocketts)
358 December 19 1982 Mental As Anything

Edit - Due to Rage broadcasting the wrong episode :

1982 52 episodes made (summer shows pre-recorded in 1981), 36 shown with 16 still to air. Also at least 3 episodes - No. 10, 19 and 20 - of Countdown Friday (clip show hosted by John Peters) exist

- January 3 1982 Molly (Summer Special #3 New Zealand Invasion)
- January 10 1982 Molly (Summer Special #4 Export bands)
316 February 21 1982 Alex Smith (Moving Pictures)
323 April 11 1982 Ross O’Donovan & Jo Kennedy (Starstruck)
327 May 9 1982 Martha Davis (The Motels)
330 May 30 1982 Ray and Dennis (Dr Hook)
341 August 15 1982 Greedy and Peter (Mental As Anything)
344 September 5 1982 Billy Miller (The Great Blokes/ex Ferrets)
345 September 12 1982 John Farnham and Derek Pellicci (Little River Band)
346 September 19 1982 Globos
351 October 31 1982 no host (Advance Australia theme - songs introduced by live acts)
355 November 28 1982 Tim Finn
356 December 5 1982 Wendy Stapleton (Wendy & The Rocketts)
358 December 19 1982 Mental As Anything

Clip Magnet
Jason 'The Moderator"

Yes, WOW, we must all request that Countdown Episode be played next retro season (if ABC still has it?). That clip is so rare, and the song itself has never been released on CD or any digital source.

I had a go on my channel at 'fixing up' the poor quality YouTube rips of that clip, the end result is slightly better but still not great. I would so love an HQ copy

That was episode 9 of Countdown Friday which I have no record of it existing. It's only due to the Kent Report publishing it and Brad ans Nathan sharing that information that we know what was on that episode unless Molly happened to mention it in Humdrum as he often would.

Jason 'The Moderator"
Brett (2)

You have full episodes of Countdown Flipside!

WOW

So you had a VCR in 1983 and could afford to record full shows seeing videotape was ,mega expensive then.

How FABULOUS!!!!!

I knwo Countdown Friday was only around a short time in 1982 but sometimes some of the clips shown in Humdrum on the Sunday would say with the yellow strip 'Countdown Friday' for the following Friday. So sometimes some more rarer clips made it to Countdown Friday. Again, the Duran Duran COUNTDOWN performance of My Own Way was one of them only shown on Countdown Friday. rage have that performance and they have played it twice luckily as I wanted it for years and was never ab;e to locate it on any 1982 episode.

It was only by commencing work full time in late 1982 that suddenly wonderful things like VCR's and blank tapes became affordable for me. The VHS recorder I bought was a wonderful bit of modern technology for the time, it was hard to believe that I could actually KEEP things that I saw on TV at the time. The blank videotapes were **** expensive at the time, you were right and the price didnt really drop much until later in 1983 and into 1984. So in the early days one tended to try and conserve precious tape space as much as one could, by only recording music clips you liked or wanted to keep and deleting other stuff. As a result, it was rare to tape complete episodes of anything at the time. Certainly with Countdown episodes all I tended to tape was individual performances never complete shows. A pity in hindsight but those of us around at the time will know and understand the logic and reasons for this.

With "Countdown Flipside" hosted by John Peters, I recall it ran late on a Saturday afternoon back in 1983 and I was often rostered to be at work while it was screened. So the VCR timer device came in handy, I would set it for the time the show was on and then be able to check it when I got home. This meant of course I taped the whole show and couldnt edit it down generally. I still chopped up a number of shows sadly, especially if there was only one or two clips I really wanted to keep, so often I would tape over the bits I didnt want (again just in the interests of preserving tape space) and so I would be left with a patch-up job of clips which left nasty static and tracking bits and interference as one show was taped over with another. The beauty of ancient VCR's!! Lol

What I am left with though is a few complete Flipside shows, of which the ABC most certainly no longer have in their archives. They would be from the period August-September 1983.

I will seek these out as soon as I get back home up country Tuesday and post the details. Will be happy to share the episodes with whoever wants a copy too.

Regards

Brett

ohnoitisnathan
Here's another one that may be of interest. They're not listed in every Kent Report (or maybe Flipside wasn't on every Friday?); some weeks they just have the Sunday playlist, or the 2 most-recent Sunday episodes.

Hi Nathan

This is wonderful stuff, I had no idea Kent Music Report published such information. Really great documentation for the era which otherwise would remain unknown.

A few points for everyone here though.

"Countdown Friday" was the separate Countdown show shown on Fridays during 1982. Hosted by John Peters. It would probably not have screened every Friday. All they did was show clips and performances. The unique Duran Duran studio performance comes from one of those "Friday" shows. It appears that only 3 episodes survive in full, there could be others plus segments etc though. One timecoded one has circulated over the years. This show did not screen beyond 1982 that I know of.

In 1983 the show "Countdown Flipside" started screening but was gone by the end of that year. Also hosted by John Peters it was purely a clip request show, with the name of the person requesting the clip displayed briefly on screen. They would play both current and older clips, some very old. Because of the tendency to screen older clips, this was the show that was of real interest to me at the time. It was hosted by John Peters and screened late Saturday afternoons around 4.30 to 5.00

I am not aware of any episodes surviving.

Nathan are there any other Countdown details available on Kent Music Report, or even any Countdown Flipsides from 1983 for that matter? Any more information would be very welcomed.

Cheers

Regards

Brett

Clip Magnet

With the ContentID system (where copyright content is automatically detected, and copyright owners set monetisation rules and get a tiny amount of revenue per play) you have to try pretty hard to get a copyright strike, or be very unlucky.

First, if something is not even detected by ContentID (I suspect those two Monitors clips are unknown ) then it is unlikely you'll get hit. The only way would be for the copyright owner to manually discover you've uploaded it and file a compliant - there is no automatic notification to them because YouTube didn't detect any copyrighted content.

Uploading something that is blocked worldwide by the ContentID system, and then publishing it, is the easiest way to get a strike. You need to check your Video Manager after uploading to see whether what you just uploaded is blocked worldwide. If is it, don't push the "publish" button. If you never publish the video you won't get a copyright strike because no-one else can find them. I have about ten videos on my channel that are blocked worldwide that I've never published.

The record company/rights owner can change their mind, and a copyright ID video that is initially permitted on YouTube can later be blocked.

I've had a couple of strikes where the video was copyright ID identified, but allowed by the record company... but then the artist themselves (Kym Mazelle) or an agent acting on their behalf (Prince's sister for Quindon Tarver's 'When Doves Cry', Meat Loaf's touring company for the 'Nowhere Fast' music video), who technically don't own the copyright but I wasn't willing to file a counter-notice against them, filed a takedown notice months after I uploaded the videos (over a year for the Kym Mazelle one), and the video was removed. I've also received a strike in a similar situation from a publishing company who wrongly identified the track (Gary Clail's 'Human Nature'), and appealed it and got the video back.

It doesn't matter about publishing a video that is instantly blocked through copyright detection; that doesn't count as a strike against your account. Copyright strikes only occur when you receive a takedown notice. You'll know, because you have to complete 'copyright school' before being allowed to access your YouTube account. A video that is instantly (or even later) blocked worldwide does not count as a strike - the video has to be removed from YouTube.

Clip Magnet
Jason 'The Moderator"

Maybe the ABC have the video lurking in their archives, and could air it as a standalone video, which would be even better.

By the way, the Kent Report info I have posted is from scans done by the National Library of Australia (they offer a scanning service for a fee). Brad obtained some of these after requesting the new releases/hit predictions sections of the Kent Report from 1982-3. There are no Countdown playlists I've seen on the scans from the second half of 1983; maybe they were on a different page, or no longer included. But theoretically, the Kent Music Report could contain playlists for some of the Countdowns where no archival information is available on TARA.

My understanding is that these lists were published after the event - so the episode actually had to air before it was included in the Kent Report. For some weeks in 1982, the playlists for 2 weeks of Countdown are listed in the same section, so maybe it wasn't included every week.

Brett (2) If you find the full Flipside episodes I's love copies, I can pay you for them.

We didn't get a VCR till 1985 and I also had to really limit and be fussy with what I recorded as video tapes were expensive and sometimes after tapes were full I'd have to re record over some things as well, arghhhhh. It's amazing the technology we have now compared to then. We can now record limitless amounts of material but unfortunately, the content then was GENIUS and now it isn't. So all we have is January for Countdown's to be recorded and the occasional VAULTS when rage play some RARE vintage pieces

Brett (2)

Nathan are there any other Countdown details available on Kent Music Report, or even any Countdown Flipsides from 1983 for that matter? Any more information would be very welcomed.

I've posted those Brad obtained in the new thread for these started by Guru Bob. Nothing from 1983 as yet.

ohnoitisnathan
Brett (2)

I've posted those Brad obtained in the new thread for these started by Guru Bob. Nothing from 1983 as yet.

Glad the information is proving useful to people. I had no idea before today that the extra Countdown playlists were missing from the archives!

ohnoitisnathan
It doesn't matter about publishing a video that is instantly blocked through copyright detection; that doesn't count as a strike against your account. Copyright strikes only occur when you receive a takedown notice.

OK they must have changed the rules. I once uploaded the Cruel Sea's "Honeymoon Is Over" video because I couldn't find it on YouTube anywhere, and got instantly hit with a Copyright Violation and on my Copyright page I was "not in good standing". It turns out that video is sold on iTunes and is blocked worldwide.

Since then, I have never dared to publish anything that is blocked worldwide.

Clip Magnet
ohnoitisnathan
It doesn't matter about publishing a video that is instantly blocked through copyright detection; that doesn't count as a strike against your account. Copyright strikes only occur when you receive a takedown notice.

OK they must have changed the rules. I once uploaded the Cruel Sea's "Honeymoon Is Over" video because I couldn't find it on YouTube anywhere, and got instantly hit with a Copyright Violation and on my Copyright page I was "not in good standing". It turns out that video is sold on iTunes and is blocked worldwide.

Since then, I have never dared to publish anything that is blocked worldwide.

Oh yes, they changed that a while ago. But even then, those weren't strikes - they just restricted some of the functions on your account, e.g. you weren't allowed to have unlisted or private videos for a specified period of time (I think 3 months, maybe 6), and you weren't allowed to monetise videos (this last one still might be true, as I don't monetise them).

Wow just read the entire thread and am so impressed with all of the info and resources that people have gone through. I would love to see Countdown Flipside shows replayed if possible also maybe as tv fillers through out the year on ch 2 though I doubt very much that is going to happen. I too can relate to copywrite strikes on You Tube and over a period of time I just decided not to bother anymore. Too much time and effort spent only to lose an account altogether. I deal with Dailymotion and Vimeo now and have to this time had no such trouble. As much as You Tube is wonderful to browse for classic content of whatever source you can want they are a complete pain in the **** to deal with as an account holder so it is for that reason I have chosen not to deal with them anymore.

Scott
Wow just read the entire thread and am so impressed with all of the info and resources that people have gone through. I would love to see Countdown Flipside shows replayed if possible also maybe as tv fillers through out the year on ch 2 though I doubt very much that is going to happen. I too can relate to copywrite strikes on You Tube and over a period of time I just decided not to bother anymore. Too much time and effort spent only to lose an account altogether. I deal with Dailymotion and Vimeo now and have to this time had no such trouble. As much as You Tube is wonderful to browse for classic content of whatever source you can want they are a complete pain in the **** to deal with as an account holder so it is for that reason I have chosen not to deal with them anymore.

Yeah, I noticed that one of your channels with a lot of Australian female artist content went down late last year. I've since uploaded some of the videos that were on it (from my own sources).

And the 7" single version (also featured on 1982 With A Bullet) is far better than the slower version on the Rio LP don't you think?

That explains also to me that the "My Own Way" clip that I have only seen on rage in retro month once - back in 2010, from memory - had words across the screen saying it was requested by someone - which at the time I couldn't figure out why that was there, but if it was lifted from Countdown Friday, then it makes sense.

Hi GuruBob,

this is my first post.

I have been collecting and recording Countdowns since Rage started playing them. In the 90s. I had a friend of Molly who worded me up that they would drop every January. First ones i recorded were to SVHS (JVC-7600 Gold - possibly the best Super VHS VCR ever made) and then in the early 2000s i captured them digitally to my PC. Sometimes i ran out of hard drive space back then tho half way, and the **** thing also liked corrupting files and i also lost some episodes by burning them to DVD-Rs that now have erased themselves (what a terrible format).

at any rate, your list is waaayyyy off.

I have cross-referenced your list to the episodes i have on my HDs that were played by Rage at some point. For 2 of them, i only have half of the episode due to corruption problems. Also several of them you have the date wrong by a few days.

This is what i have from your list that HAS been replayed on Rage (because i have them!) ...you will need to adjust your list:

231 March 16 1980 Steve Gilpin (Mi-Sex)
239 May 11 1980 Bob Geldof (Boomtown Rats)
267 November 23 1980 Ross Wilson (Mondo Rock)

283 May 3 1981 Greedy Smith (Mental As Anything)
298 August 23 1981 Paul Northam (MEO 245)
307 October 25 1981 Sharon O’Neill

341 August 15 (ACTUALLY 17th!!!) 1982 Greedy and Peter (Mental As Anything) (I HAVE HALF ONLY)

366 April 10 1983 Mark (aka comedian Bob Downe) and Wendy (Globos) (I HAVE HALF ONLY)
390 October 2 1983 Marc Hunter (Dragon)

404 February 19 1984 David Sterry and Richard Zatorski (Real Life)

474 August 11 1985 Howard Jones
489 November 24 (ACTUALLY 23rd!!) 1985 Brian Canham (Pseudo Echo)

497 February 23 1986 Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
499 March 9 (ACTUALLY 8th!!) 1986 Molly (interviews Stevie Nicks)
504 April 13 1986 Spencer and Billy (The Johnnys)
536 November 23 1986 Molly (Australian Made Tour)

550 April 19 1987 Molly (from Underground disco)
560 June 28 1987 Dave Dobbyn

i am yet to transfer any of my SVHS tapes, so there is probably more. But i figure whats the point in transferring them when they are likely to come around again on Rage again soon to capture digitally.

Hope this update helps.

Cheers,
Eightys Boy.

Well I’m impressed, even if no-one else is.

When did you get your first digital TV tuner to record direct to computer disk (not DVD)? For me it was in 2006. But I was an early adopter in 2002 buying a digital set top box - HD capable too - which cost me a huge sum. But I still recorded that signal to VHS. Better than analog, but nothing like a pure digital recording workflow.

Oh - and did you record Rock Arenas as well or just the Countdowns?

Clip Magnet
Well I’m impressed, even if no-one else is.

When did you get your first digital TV tuner to record direct to computer disk (not DVD)? For me it was in 2006. But I was an early adopter in 2002 buying a digital set top box - HD capable too - which cost me a huge sum. But I still recorded that signal to VHS. Better than analog, but nothing like a pure digital recording workflow.
I was impressed too!

heya Clip!

first captures were analog to hard drive with a TV tuner board that cost me a packet. It used to crash a lot. Then I had a Canopus ADVC100 and took SVHS feeds from my JVC recorder's tuner into the Canopus and then firewire into the PC around 2002 or so which was a lot more stable.

Yes i grabbed the Rock arenas as well that looked interesting. A lot of them were crap tho and i struggled in the early days with limited hard drive space for the huge video files (not these days!!) so i didnt keep them all. ive got 6 complete episodes.

i lost around 10 dvds each with 2 countdowns per DVD due to dvd "fade"...burnt to bad media. The media started throwing errors 2 years after the burn and now are all completely corrupt. I managed to extract a few of them after a lot of research using some special dvd readers, but you only had 1 crack at extracting, once the laser read the track it self destructed and the data was gone you had to extract once and it was your only chance! And i lost another 6 or 7 with a buggy copy of Roxio that i used back then to free up my hard drive, which would burn the files and everything look ok but now that ive gone back to the dvds, the files are listed in the dvd fine but they are all 00000000000 empty. I cried when i went back to those dvds :(

nowadays all my countdowns sit in a QNAP server with backup RAID running, along with a second QNAP that is unplugged and i turn on once every 6 months to back up the main QNAP (so a virus cannot corrupt it) and then i got hard drives sitting in my parents house under the stairs in case my place burns down. Im not taking any chances these days!!

Ha ha, I have got off-site back-ups of my music video external hard drives just in case they get stolen, burnt, or corrupted, too.

Hi Jason

Not sure if the site is updated however, I have a video tape copy of this show i recorded from the day it was broadcaat (I appeared in it -ahaha)

Ep 432 Thriller Dance competition episode only known to exist in an off air recording, it may not be in the ABC archives.

I have this one on tape too - 425 July 15 1984 State Heats Beatstreet competition

Regards

John

John donaldson
Hi Jason

Not sure if the site is updated however, I have a video tape copy of this show i recorded from the day it was broadcaat (I appeared in it -ahaha)

Ep 432 Thriller Dance competition episode only known to exist in an off air recording, it may not be in the ABC archives.

I have this one on tape too - 425 July 15 1984 State Heats Beatstreet competition

Regards

John
They're two good episodes to have kept.

The Thriller Dance competition episode doesn't appear to be in the ABC archives although it probably is there somewhere but hasn't been correctly labelled. About 6-7 years ago I traded with you for a copy of this episode, which was in NTSC format for some reason, of which I passed on a copy to the ABC just in case they didn't have it. It is not broadcast quality however it is a fantastic episode to have.

Brilliant that you also have ep 425 as that one hasn't aired yet. The Beatstreet final (ep 427) was shown in 2001 but they have never aired the State Heats episode 425.

Howdy there,

Sorry for the 2 year late reply. So 43 episodes of 1970's Countdown have been aired. I only have 22 of them. So if anyone wants to head over to the Countdown Digital File Sharing thread and share some of the others I would appreciate it. My list of C/D shows is there for all to see. I will willingly share copies to everyone who wants it.

cheers,

kiersey...