Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FULL ARCHIVAL DETAILS for 'rage goes retro' 3 .Morning & Night episodes! Saturday 21st January

The Feb 28 1982 show just shown was absolutely brilliant. Great selection of songs, Elton was good, as pf course was the quiet stone Bill Wyman. However Cliff just stole the show, he is just brilliant in so many ways. Humble, professional and an amazing singer. I loved his response to Molly when he was asked about his Christian beliefs. Cliff spoke so freely about his Christianity and love for God and this is something that normally wouldn't be discussed onn ABC TV. So kudos to Molly for asking the question. Certainly Daddy's Home is far from his best, that would have to go to Dreaming, Wired for Sound, We don't talk anymore & The Only Way Out - oh and then there's the excellent 1987 LP "Always Guaranteed".. Bill Wyman's Come Back Suzanne is so funny - the lyrics and the video. I love the drum work in that song, which sounds like the legendary Charlie Watts, but infact is not.

Thanks Jase for requesting that show - awesome!!

Re: FULL ARCHIVAL DETAILS for 'rage goes retro' 3 .Morning & Night episodes! Saturday 21st January

The Feb 28 1982 show just shown was absolutely brilliant. Great selection of songs, Elton was good, as of course was the quiet stone Bill Wyman. However Cliff just stole the show, he is just brilliant in so many ways. Humble, professional and an amazing singer. I loved his response to Molly when he was asked about his Christian beliefs. Cliff spoke so freely about his Christianity and love for God and this is something that normally wouldn't be discussed onn ABC TV. So kudos to Molly for asking the question. Certainly Daddy's Home is far from his best, that would have to go to Dreaming, Wired for Sound, We don't talk anymore & The Only Way Out - oh and then there's the excellent 1987 LP "Always Guaranteed".. Bill Wyman's Come Back Suzanne is so funny - the lyrics and the video. I love the drum work in that song, which sounds like the legendary Charlie Watts, but infact is not.

Thanks Jase for requesting that show - awesome!!

Matt73 (Aus80sRockRadio)
The Feb 28 1982 show just shown was absolutely brilliant. Great selection of songs, Elton was good, as pf course was the quiet stone Bill Wyman.

It would have been programming genius if they'd saved this episode for a Saturday night, and followed up with the episode of The Factory that Mandy Smith appears on , going by this description on the tara archive:

4. ID: 286326 - THE FACTORY;EPISODE 54 - PROGRAM
Email Sales about this item
recording date: 12-Nov-1988
duration: 3.00.00
summary: THIS WEEK'S SHOW COMES FROM THE NATIONWIDE TRAVELLING BICENTENNIAL EXHIBITION. HOSTS ALEX & ANDREW ARE JOINED BY THE GLOBETROTTERS, MANDY SMITH, STEVEN KEARNEY, RUN DMC, DEREK B, DARYL BRAITHWAITE AND LIVE MUSIC FROM COMPANY B AND SKIPPY & THE BUTCHER. STORIES ON KYLIE MINOGUE, RECORD, MOVIE & VIDEO REVIEWS AS WELL AS REGULAR SEGMENTS
shotlist: 286326

Hi Everyone,

Long time viewer, first time contributor. I look forward to recording Countdown every January but unfortunately I missed last night's 3 episodes. (One of my kids accidently turned my DVD recorder off as I was asleep). Is there any way of obtaining copies of these episodes in any way? I usually convert them to DVD discs so that I have a hard copy. I would be happy to pay or reimburse for these.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

I want to find out does the music videos of Broderick Smith'S Big Combo's Faded Roses, WARD 13's See Venice And Die, Boys' Hurt Me Babe, Mi-Sex's Falling In And Out and Darryl Cotton's My Little Red Book were official or Countdown-produced while being shown on episode 286 and also, does the music video of Colleen Hewett's Gigolo was official or Countdown-produced and what's the same music video was about?

Nicholas
I want to find out does the music videos of Broderick Smith'S Big Combo's Faded Roses, WARD 13's See Venice And Die, Boys' Hurt Me Babe, Mi-Sex's Falling In And Out and Darryl Cotton's My Little Red Book were official or Countdown-produced while being shown on episode 286 and also, does the music video of Colleen Hewett's Gigolo was official or Countdown-produced and what's the same music video was about?

Ward 13 wasn't a music video, but was a snippet of their Countdown performance of the song (which was shown earlier this month in full), I believe.

Darryl Cotton looked like it could have been just a Countdown performance/'video' made by them.

Colleen Hewett looked like it was a music video, as it had an elaborate scene change, which wouldn't have really been possible if it was a Countdown performance. But it was only a snippet of the video shown, during a Chartbusters segment. I'll upload it to YouTube, as it looks like no-one else has yet.

Nicholas
does the music video of Colleen Hewett's Gigolo was official or Countdown-produced and what's the same music video was about?

I've uploaded the snippet they showed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tis0BM0ur8

Yay! I'm surprised i have never heard this song before esp. after hearing Gavin say it is No.27 nationally. I wonder what it's highest position was nationally? Mr Purser has the song uploaded on YouTube from a 45. The sound is great, as all his 45's are. I have played it many a times since the Countdown airing. Thanks Jason for requesting this episode. One of a hanful of gems from retro month 2017!

Michael
Yay! I'm surprised i have never heard this song before esp. after hearing Gavin say it is No.27 nationally. I wonder what it's highest position was nationally? Mr Purser has the song uploaded on YouTube from a 45. The sound is great, as all his 45's are. I have played it many a times since the Countdown airing. Thanks Jason for requesting this episode. One of a hanful of gems from retro month 2017!

'Gigolo' actually peaked at #28 nationally. Countdown were then using their own chart (based on what, I don't know); hence the occasional tied positions in the top 10 you never see on the Kent/ARIA charts. They didn't start using the Kent Music Report chart (then licensed by ARIA) until July 1983:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OxWO4I2NY

ohnoitisnathan
Michael

'Gigolo' actually peaked at #28 nationally. Countdown were then using their own chart (based on what, I don't know); hence the occasional tied positions in the top 10 you never see on the Kent/ARIA charts. They didn't start using the Kent Music Report chart (then licensed by ARIA) until July 1983:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OxWO4I2NY

Interesting - wonder how close Countdown's top 10's were to the kent top 10's? Whenever I think of how a song did - for instance Girls On Film - I always think of the Countdown top 10. #9 IIRC. Also I wonder how many Countdown #1's weren't #1's?

Gary

Interesting - wonder how close Countdown's top 10's were to the kent top 10's? Whenever I think of how a song did - for instance Girls On Film - I always think of the Countdown top 10. #9 IIRC. Also I wonder how many Countdown #1's weren't #1's?

'Girls On Film' peaked at #11 on the Kent Music Report Chart.

'Babooshka' is one Countdown #1 that wasn't a Kent Report #1 (it peaked at #2).

Gary, see Gavin's chart beats, where he lists the No.2's of the 80s. Brass In Pocket is another one.

Thanks for the replies - will check out chart beat