Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage goes retro 2 FULL DETALIS * Saturday 14th January, 2016

Here is the full details on 'rage goes retro' 2 for this Saturday night 14th January, 2017 with starting time at 11:30 pm . . . 3 Countdown episodes and 2 Rock Arena's. No repeated Countdown's but for me I already have a timer code copy of the Hot Chocolate 1982 Countdown and the 1984 Countdown with Grace & Bernie from Eurogliders hosting I once had a timer code copy but I lost it somehow, so guess I will have a copy again. The 1980 Countdown episode looks FAAAAAAB!

Year:1980
Date:02/11/1980
Show no: 264
Summary:WILBUR WILDE AND RED SYMONS HOST THE SHOW.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
JO JO ZEP & THE FALCONS 'I WILL RETURN'
MOTIVATORS 'AFTER THE FALL'
PAUL KELLY & THE DOTS 'BILLY BAXTER'
FLOWERS 'WE CAN GET TOGETHER'
JO STANLEY 'WHEN LOVE'S IN YOUR HEART'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
JO DOLCE 'SHUTUPA YOUR FACE'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
MOTELS 'WHOSE PROBLEM AM I'
SUPERTRAMP 'DREAMER'
POLICE 'DON'T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME'
DONNA SUMMER 'THE WANDERER'
ELTON JOHN 'SATORIAL ELOQUENCE'
THIN LIZZIE 'CHINATOWN'
CHARTBUSTERS:
OL'55 'TWO FACES HAVE I'
ROCKY HORROR SHOW 'TIME WARP'
FISCHER Z 'SO LONG'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
ABBA 'THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL'
STEVIE WONDER 'MASTER BLASTER'
AC/DC 'YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG'
BARBARA STREISAND 'WOMAN IN LOVE'
IRENE CARA 'FAME'
CLIFF RICHARD 'DREAMIN'
DIANA ROSS 'UPSIDE DOWN'
DAVID BOWIE 'ASHES TO ASHES'
KATE BUSH 'BABOOSHKA'
LEO SAYER 'MORE THAN I CAN SAY'

Year:1982
Date:07/11/1982
Show no: 352
Summary:A TOURING PACKAGE OF INTERNATIONAL ACTS APPEARING IN AUSTRALIA REPLACES CHARTBUSTERS AND ERROL BROWN FROM HOT CHOCOLATE HOSTS THE SHOW.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
GOANNA 'SOLID ROCK'
LITTLE HEROES 'SATURDAY AFTERNOON'
HOT CHOCOLATE 'IT STARTED WITH A KISS','GIRL CRAZY'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
INXS 'DON'T CHANGE'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
ABC 'ALL MY HEART'
TOTO COELLO 'I EAT CANNIBALS'
MUSICAL YOUTH 'PASS THE DUTCHIE'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
ANGELS 'STAND UP'
MONSOON 'SHAKTI'
ULTRAVOX 'REAP THE WILD WIND'
OVERSEAS TOUR PACKAGE:
HALL & OATES 'MANEATER'
MOTELS 'TAKE THE L'
IRON MAIDEN 'NUMBER OF THE BEAST'
JOAN JETT 'DO YOU WANNA TOUCH'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
MELISSA MANCHESTER 'YOU SHOULD HEAR HOW SHE TALKS ABOUT YOU'
ABC 'LOOK OF LOVE'
JOE JACKSON 'REAL MEN'
CHICAGO 'HARD TO SAY I'M SORRY'
FRIDA 'I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON'
YAZOO 'DON'T GO'
TRIO 'DA DA DA'
SURVIVOR 'EYE OF THE TIGER'
BANANARAMA 'SHY BOY'
DEXY'S MIDNITE RUNNERS 'COME ON EILEEN'

HOT CHOCOLATE Tears On The Telephone (RAK)

Year:1984
Date:3/06/1984
Show no: 419
Summary:THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY BERNIE LYNCH AND GRACE KNIGHT FROM EUROGLIDERS ALONGSIDE MOLLY WHO PRESENTED NEW RECORD RELEASES FROM THE TOWER RECORD, A RECORD STORE, IN LOS ANGELES AND APPEARED LATER FROM THE KOALA BLUE BAR (WEARING A ST KILDA FOOTBALL JUMPER UNDER A VEGEMITE APRON).
LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCE:
EUROGLIDERS 'HEAVEN'
VIDEO CLIPS:
MI-SEX '5 O'CLOCK (IN THE MORNING)'
DENIECE WILLIAMS 'LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE BOY'
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'I WANT A NEW DRUG (CALLED LOVE)'
CYNDI LAUPER 'TIME AFTER TIME'
VAN HALEN 'PANAMA' AND DAVID LEE ROTH IV RE PERFORMANCE ON STAGE, HIS CHARACTER.
MADONNA 'BURNING UP'
WANG CHUNG 'DANCE HALL DAYS'
ROD STEWART 'INFATUATION'
ELTON JOHN 'SAD SONGS'
TOP TEN:
QUEEN 'I WANT TO BREAK FREE'
MADONNA 'HOLIDAY'
DURAN DURAN 'THE REFLEX'
MEL BROOKS 'TO BE OR NOT TO BE'
CYNDI LAUPER 'TIME AFTER TIME'
IGLESIAS & NELSON 'TO ALL THE GIRLS I'VE LOVED BEFORE'
THE TWELFTH MAN 'IT'S JUST NOT CRICKET'
PHIL COLLINS 'AGAINST ALL ODDS'
KENNY LOGGINS 'FOOTLOOSE'
LIONEL RICHIE 'HELLO'

EUROGLIDERS Without You (Independent)

ROCK ARENA December 1st, 1986
*(No info on this date - There is a Rock Arena from December 6th, 1986 which is the closest date to December 6th, 1986, so it could be this episode below ...

ROCK ARENA - December 6 1986
SUZANNE DOWLING PRESENTS ROCK ARENA SPECIAL ON 'THE THE' FEATURING INTERVIEW WITH MATT JOHNSON IN LONDON TOGETHER WITH VIDEO CLIPS OF 'MERCY BEAT','OUT OF THE BLUE','HEARTLAND','ANGELS OF DECEPTION','INFECTED','TWILIGHT CHAMPION',' AND 'SWEETBIRD OF TRUTH'

ROCK ARENA - May 3 1988
THIS WEEKS SHOW IS HOSTED BY SUZANNE DOWLING WHO INTRODUCES VIDEOS FROM DO RE MI, JIMMY BARNES, PREFAB SPROUT. THE SPECIAL FEATURE OF THIS WEEKS PROGRAM 'THE ROAD TO NEW ORLEANS'(22.42) WHICH IS HOSTED AND WRITTEN BY JULES HOLLAND FROM THE U.K BAND THE SQUEEZE. THE SHOW OPENS WITH STING SITTING IN A TRAIN TUNNEL SINGING A SONG(23.17),THEN FOLLOWS JULES HOLLAND AS HE BUYS A CAR AND BEGINS THE DRIVE DOWN TO NEW ORLEANS, ON HIS WAY HE STOPS OFF AT VARIOUS VENUES TO SEE PEFORMERS AND ONCE IN NEW ORLEANS HE DRIVES AROUND THE STREETS TALKING ABOUT DIFFERENT AREAS AND THEIR IMPORTANCE IN TERMS OF MUSIC AND THE BLUES. THERE ARE APPEARANCES FROM FATS DOMINO(33.28) WHO PLAYS THE PIANO AND TALKS TO JULES ABOUT HIS MUSIC AND HIS OWN DISTINCT STYLE AND APPEARANCES BY THE NEVILLE BROTHERS(61.03) AND GOSPEL SINGERS(31.09).;ARTISTS:;DO RE MI 'HAUNT YOU'(2.17);PREFAB SPROUT 'WHEN LOVE BREAKS DOWN'(6.00);PREFAB SPROUT 'CARS AND GIRLS'(9.37);JIMMY BARNES 'I'M STILL ON YOUR SIDE'(14.30);JIMMY BARNES 'A CHANGE IS GONNA COME'(18.14);JOHNNY ALLEN 'THE PROMISED LAND'(40.11);DR YOUNG 'SUCH A NIGHT'(52.45);LEE DORSEY 'WORKING IN A COALMINE'(59.48);JULES HOLLAND 'DR JAZZ'(64.15);

Re: rage goes retro 2 FULL DETALIS * Saturday 14th January, 2016

3 Countdowns that Rage have not aired before is a good night. Looking forward to it.

The Rock Arena with no known details is another mystery box I am anticipating.

Looks like it is that Rock Arena episode, Guru Bob, as a The The video is airing during the Saturday morning retro month hour (where they feature artists appearing on the retro episodes the following night).

OK you can blame me for those two Rock Arenas - I requested both of those, although they were #3 and #5 in my list of five. Yes, the 1 Dec episode is a The The special, labelled in the runsheets as 6 Dec. Those clips are pretty rare. Obviously I hope they play the other Rock Arenas I requested over the subsequent 2 weeks

I requested 3 Countdowns (all from 1980) and none of them have been played yet.

Oh, and everyone should note that rage actually starts at 11:57 pm on Saturday night, not 11:30 pm. Don't get tricked by the rage playlist 30 minute time-tagging thing again

So Clip magnet, so it's a THE THE special then? ... Okay, THE THE are very cool. I have a video compilation with many of their clips, interview should be good.

I got my I'm Talking Liver at Billboard last year which is the Rock Arena I wanted most. Though I desperately want the Funk Down Show 1 and 2 Rock Arena did in 1983 and 1984, arghhh.

I generally loathe 1988 Rock Arena's which we are getting this weekend, arghhhhhhhh. Jimmy Barnes, puke ... Good for the Do Re Mi clips though

I have had no Countdown requests played so far this year, I hope at least 2 of them are played as I requested episodes with lots of Countdown performances from the Early 80s

Jason 'The Moderator"
I generally loathe 1988 Rock Arena's which we are getting this weekend, arghhhhhhhh. Jimmy Barnes, puke ... Good for the Do Re Mi clips though

I requested it for the Do Re Mi clip "Haunt You". Very rare.

Nice to have some variety this week with a couple of Rock Arenas although I'd prefer earlier episodes.

Wilbur Wilde and Red Symons hosting should be entertaining..

As much as Rock Arena is good I'd rather less variety and 5 Countdown's in a row, the end. If we are going to have Rock Arena, 1982-1984 only ...

Yay, a Rock Arena on my birthday! (3 May) and has Prefab Sprouts 'Cars and Girls'. Love that song and clip. Bought the single back in the day when i saw it played in the rage's Top 50.

Jason 'The Moderator"
As much as Rock Arena is good I'd rather less variety and 5 Countdown's in a row, the end. If we are going to have Rock Arena, 1982-1984 only ...

Two of my other Rock Arena requests are from 1984, and the final one was from 1987. Let's see if any of them get up in the last 2 weeks.

Clip Magnet
Oh, and everyone should note that rage actually starts at 11:57 pm on Saturday night, not 11:30 pm. Don't get tricked by the rage playlist 30 minute time-tagging thing again

I never rely on Rage - always check ebroadcast which has the correct starting time. Still miss knowing the exact times for every show. Rage fix your App!!

Gary

I never rely on Rage - always check ebroadcast which has the correct starting time. Still miss knowing the exact times for every show. Rage fix your App!!

They announced on the facebook page last year that they have abandoned the rage app. Apparently the website contains "the same information". Yeah, right.

rage seem to be down to a very skeletal staff these days when it comes to the facebook page/responding to posts (which they hardly ever do now), and even basic things like posting the playlists on the website seems beyond them now.

This 1988 Rock Arena is such s h i t ... I am not even watching for any glitches whilst recording. What a horrific waster of time that could have been Countdown. New Orleans helllll

I rarely press stop on my dvd recorder but this 1988 Rock Arena on rage right now is not being kept, not even for the collection. Utterly vile episode of Rock Arena

The jumping tonight on the performance of Time After Time from Cyndi Lauper on the 1984 Countdown episose was so annoying. This episode wad certainly not kept well

Cyndi also jumped in the Top Ten as well, very interesting

I hear you Jason. Didn't know what the hell you were talking about when you said New Orleans, but just saw it then, well actually i saw a bit of it when it was airing. Went to bed after the '82 episode and woke up a few hours later and tbought i'd check out the recording and what's currently showing on Rock Arena. New Orleans was on, but had no idea what is was and was watching and thinking what the f u c k! so went back to bed.

Jason 'The Moderator'
The jumping tonight on the performance of Time After Time from Cyndi Lauper on the 1984 Countdown episose was so annoying. This episode wad certainly not kept well

I just watched that episode and noticed the jumping. Do you know where that performance is from? It presumably wasn't a Countdown performance.

Jason 'The Moderator'
This 1988 Rock Arena is such s h i t ... I am not even watching for any glitches whilst recording. What a horrific waster of time that could have been Countdown. New Orleans helllll

Ah well, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

OK the second half of that episode was a "miss" but hey, from my perspective that's the price of getting that rare Do Re Mi clip which I have been after for AGES

Watched the first 10 minutes or so but loved the Prefab Sprout clip for Cars & Girls. My first exposure to the band. The '88 Rock Arena was worth it just for that. And of course the lovely Suzanne!

Nathan, the Time After Time performance is from the Cyndi hosted episode from March, 1984 and there is no jumping on that episode as l have that episode so l dont know why it was jumping on the Eurogliders episode

Jason 'The Moderator'
Nathan, the Time After Time performance is from the Cyndi hosted episode from March, 1984 and there is no jumping on that episode as l have that episode so l dont know why it was jumping on the Eurogliders episode

Thanks for the info.

Did you not see the Cyndi Lauper Countdown episode from 1984?

One of the best Countdown episodes, I don't know why the very same performance of Time After Time jumps on the Eurogliders episode when it was just shortly after the very Cyndi Lauper hosted episode, go figure ...

The 1980 episode of Countdown last night was brilliant just as 1980 episodes are. Jo Stanley was camp performing When Love's In Your Heart with spectacular lights and set effects and I am glad she appeared a second time on Countdown as her earlier performance of Sad Songs earlier in 1980 was SUBLIME. Motivators performing After The Fall was energetic and Molly introducing Flowers on HUMDRUM with the performance of We Can Get Together was SUBLIMMMME as was Molly reviewing Donna Summer's 1980 album The Wanderer and saying though Giorgio Moroder produced it, it was less Disco and more Rock ... My favourite track on The Wanderer will always be Grand Illusion, it's simply superb, eventuating in synth magic that builds and builds to sheer perfection * And Nightlife is like what Molly said, more Rock but still with a touch of Disco majesty :-) And then the actual video performance of Who's Problem Am I from The Motels was fabulous.

The 1982 Hot Chocolate episode of Countdown, I already had on Timer Code but nice to have a new copy and like always, 1982 Countdown's are simply MAGICAL * * * * * Errol Brown is a gorgeously spoken presenter and performer and I loved Errol introducing ABC with All Of My Heart. The performance for Girl Crazy in the Countdown studio was amazing with the aerobic dancers in the cages, soooo brilliantly 80s and Little Heroes with Saturday Afternoon live in the Countdown studio was great as Little Heroes always are on Countdown with maximum ENERGY <3 Seeing the fabbbbbulous MONSOON with 'SHAKTI' on HUMDRUM was beautiful and I wish it was a full play as they were simply magnificent and beautifully cultured, Molly made me laugh saying 'No, you are not tuned into Channel '028' but you are still watching Countdown on the ABC .... As much as Countdown will always be my most loved and cherished music program, I loved all o28 music programs in the 80s like The Noise and they had Continental Drift, one saw THE most Underground and most Interesting music clips and international performances on SBS in the 80s <3 Just divine xoxoxoxo ULTRAVOX with 'REAP THE WILD WIND in HUMDRUM was also simply beautiful <3 .... The OVERSEAS TOUR PACKAGE section was also so very exciting advertising The Motels, Hall & Oates and Iron maiden all performing the following week on Countdown, which rage played that very episode about 7 years ago xoxoxoxo

The final Countdown of the night was the 1984 Grace & Bernie episode of Countdown, I once had a timer code episode but lost it. As much as I love 1984 Countdown's, the episodes filled with just clips get a little boring. Grace looked tremendous in her fabulouuuus 1984 jump suit and I always love Grace & Bernie hosting. The highlight was Mi Sex with the RARE '5 O'clock In The Morning which is simply tremendous <3 Madonna with the Burning Up video is always exciting to see as seeing Madonna as a 'NEW' artist is 1984 changed my life and it still has the same effect all these years later seeing how magical, fresh, exciting, powering and new she was, and that early Madonna never ages or gets old ... It still commands attention, YEAAAAH * Molly at Tower Records in LA was great to see again and the performance of Heaven (Must Be There) by Eurogliders is always good for Amanda's brilliant clothes on keyboards but overall, one of my least favourite 1984 episodes and nowhere a highlight episode from 1984 like many of the other episodes from 1984.

Loved that rage played the video for my most loved Eurogliders track 'Without You' again, as it hasn't aired on rage for about 8 years now ...

Moving on to the first Rock Arena of this January from 1986, with the feature on Matt Johnson 'aka' THE THE whom I adore ... After the very commercial videos played on the 1984 Countdown episode, this THE THE special on Rock Arena was very much appreciated. Matt Johnson is seriously and quite simply very beautifully intelligent, stunning, so very handsome, glowing and such a pleasure to listen to and look at. What a terribly underrated band The The were and are <3 It was so interesting to watch this episode, just SENSATIONAL!!!!! SO much culture, creativity and so much covered in one episode <3

Next up, was the final Rock Arena for the night from 1988 and it was simply boring, terrible and a waste of time. Suzanne Dowling looked BRILLIANT and Prefab Sprout were gorgeous and the Do Re Mi RARE clip for Haunt You was interesting but the rest of the episodes with Jools Holland in New Orleans was extremely tiresome, bland, exhausting to watch and I just switched off waiting for it to end. And the Jimmy Barnes videos were just simply S H I T and terrible.... A waste of an hour of 'rage goes retro' programming

Jason 'The Moderator"
Did you not see the Cyndi Lauper Countdown episode from 1984?

One of the best Countdown episodes, I don't know why the very same performance of Time After Time jumps on the Eurogliders episode when it was just shortly after the very Cyndi Lauper hosted episode, go figure ...

I saw it when it aired around 2002-3 from memory (could be wrong), but back then was recording rage on VHS and usually didn't keep anything from retro month.

edit - just checked, and that episode was shown in 2002.

Nice critiques Jason. 1982 eps are amazing. I want that hosting couch and Countdown sign in my lounge room! Watching last night, reminded me of all the artists that have passed away the past 5 years. How spoilt were we in the 90's when rage only showed Countdowns all night/morning and all those artists were alive and kicking. Yes, the Cyndi episode from March '84 is great. Always great too when the hosts finish the show with their No.1. Toni Basil also comes to mind. Although all played, for me, 1979 episodes are the golden year of Countdown.

1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1984 is the golden era of Countdown for me but especially 1980, 1981 and 1982, sighhhhhhh

The Cyndi Lauper hosted episode with Molly from March 1984 is one of my very favourite episodes of Countdown from 1984. I had it previously in the 90s on Timer Code from a friend of mine, who's sister worked at the ABC. I wish she still worked there!

It was great though when rage actually played the episode in 2002