Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: rage goes retro * 5 Countdown Episodes! * Full info below * Saturday 7th January, 2017

Jason 'The Moderator"

Year: 1981
Date: 08/11/1981
Show no: 309
Summary: SHOW HOSTED BY RUSSELL HITCHCOCK FROM AIR SUPPLY.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
PRE RECORD - JIMMY & THE BOYS 'GET OFF MY CLOUD'
AIR SUPPLY 'HERE I AM'
SUNNY BOYS 'ALONE WITH YOU'
MEN AT WORK 'DOWN UNDER'
KEVIN BORICH EXPRESS 'SHY BOY SHY GIRL'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
DEF LEPPARD 'LET IT GO'
GREG KIHN BAND 'THE BREAK UP SONG'
THE POINTER SISTERS 'SHOULD I DO IT'
CHARLIE DORE 'LISTEN'
THE TUBES 'TALK TO YA LATER'
HAZEL O'CONNOR 'WAITING'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
PHD 'I WON'T LET YOU DOWN'
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'TOO MANY TIMES'
LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA 'HOOKED ON CLASSICS'
BILLY SQUIER 'THE STROKE'
ELO 'HOLD ON TIGHT'
ADAM & THE ANTS 'PRINCE CHARMING'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'PHYSICAL'
BILLY FIELD 'YOU WEREN'T IN LOVE WITH ME'
DIANA ROSS/LIONEL RITCHIE 'ENDLESS LOVE'
THE ROLLING STONES 'START ME UP'
OVERSEAS CHARTBUSTERS:
BILLY SQUIER 'THE STROKE'
POLICE 'EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES IS MAGIC'
FOREIGNER 'URGENT'

For those that are interested, The Sunnyboys - Alone With You live performance is the 2nd version. On at least 5 occasions there were bands that came back on and did a second performance of their song, presumably if Molly thought the song should have done better and wanted to give it another boost.

The first version, which was in a darker setting with Jeremy Oxley having longer hair, was aired on the Sept 20 and Oct 18 episodes. This second version with with the coloured scaffolding also appears on the Wonder Years DVD

Re: rage goes retro * 5 Countdown Episodes! * Full info below * Saturday 7th January, 2017

Does anyone know if the Roxy Music 'Jealous Guy' performance shown on the 5th April 1981 episode was actually a Countdown performance, or was it aired from another program?

ohnoitisnathan
Does anyone know if the Roxy Music 'Jealous Guy' performance shown on the 5th April 1981 episode was actually a Countdown performance, or was it aired from another program?

I was wondering that myself. I dont know the answer, but I reckon it didn't have that Countdown Clip look about it.

Why of course Jealous Guy was filmed at the ABC Countdown studios. Roxy performed Same Old Scene on the first Countdown of 1981 in the studio with a live audience whilst they were here in OZ touring and Bryan Ferry did a Humdrum interview with Moly. Exact same set as Same Old Scene with the blinds but Jealous Guy was filmed on the same set on Countdown but without a studio audience

THE FIRST COUNTDOWN FOR THE YEAR 1981 OFF TO A FLYING START WITH ROXY MUSIC THE FIRST
INTERNATIONAL GUESTS. ALSO FEATURES AN INTERVIEW MOLLY RECORDED IN BRUSSELLS WITH BRIAN JOHNSON AND ANGUS YOUNG FROM AC/DC.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
FLOWERS 'WALLS'
AIR SUPPLY 'EVERY WOMAN IN THE WORLD'
SLIM DUSTY 'DUNCAN'
THE SWINGERS 'COUNTING THE BEAT'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
AC/DC 'HELLS BELLS','ROCK & ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION'
ROXY MUSIC 'SAME OLD SCENE' .... rage played this episode in around 2004

Countdown pre recorded the 2nd number being Jealous Guy and didn't show it till later on which you saw the other night on the April episode.

Countdown did the same with A-ha in 1985 when A-ha performed Take On me and Train Of Thought with a studio audience but then pre recorded Hunting High And Low without a studio audience but in the Countdown studio.

Countdown were very clever like that, they would have extra performances to show later on to spread the performances by international artists put.

The very interesting studio performance was with Duran Duran's 'My Own Way'. The performance actually does not appear on the Duran Duran hosted episode with Molly from 1982, it only appeared on the Countdown request show, rage have played this performance and it has the request name on the bottom of the screen. It actually does not appear on any FULL proper Countdown episode which was odd seeing Duran Duran were huge. It is in none of the 1982 Archives unless it is a case of a missing episode like the Lene Lovich 1983 and the James Freud 1981.

You're onto it!
(though how come AC/DC are listed as overseas artists?)

Jason 'The Moderator'
Why of course Jealous Guy was filmed at the ABC Countdown studios. Roxy performed Same Old Scene on the first Countdown of 1981 in the studio with a live audience whilst they were here in OZ touring and Bryan Ferry did a Humdrum interview with Moly. Exact same set as Same Old Scene with the blinds but Jealous Guy was filmed on the same set on Countdown but without a studio audience

Thanks. That explains why it seemed different to the other 'live' performances that episode.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Why of course Jealous Guy was filmed at the ABC Countdown studios

That would make me wrong, then.