Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Music Videos from 1985 Tape

ohnoitisnathan
Chad Lofts
Clip Magnet
Hi Chad - great list of videos! I would be interested in MPG/VOB uploads of the following:

Whose Problem? – The Models
Just What I Needed - The Cars

(and My Heart’s On Fire – Machinations which Nathan has already asked for )

Fantastic work and from the Youtube uploads - great quality too.

Thanks!

Hey.. No problem.

What I'll do is I'll open up this folder and just drop stuff into there for people to download..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6inh5jgcfugqlpx/AABUBMDl5XXaS6kxnq-QeheSa?dl=0

Can I ask if the vob file in the folder contains the Machinations clip? It's 900MB+, so presumably contains more than just the Machinations video.

Hey,

I just copied the file directly from the DVD so it is

I Drink Alone – George Thorogood & The Destroyers (half - other half on previous vob)
Just a Shadow – Big Country
My Heart’s On Fire – Machinations
Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan
Underground – The Angels
Send My Heart – The Adventures
I’m Going Down to Liverpool (Live on TV) – The Bangles
Belle of St. Mark (Live on TV) – Sheila E

I've also uploaded Music Videos.mp4 which contains all of the music videos (but is around 4 gig)

Video quality came up pretty nicely for a 1985 tape!

Luuuc
Video quality came up pretty nicely for a 1985 tape!

Yeah I'm very happy with how it turned out. I googled how to clean my video heads manually and also how to physically clean a tape.

Chad Lofts

I've already used half of my free account so I'm just going to put them onto my DropBox instead.. I'll post the links here when they've been uploaded :)

DropBox is even better, given you can put the original files on there.

With Vimeo, you get a 500MB limit per week with a free account. It refreshes every week, though, but it is a bit of a pain.

ohnoitisnathan
I know when I've converted vob to mp4 before, using a conversion program, it usually ends up with faint horizontal lines of compression throughout, particularly evident during any intense graphic scenes or where there is rapid movement/editing.

It looks to me that this MP4 file is interlaced. It is not common for MP4s to be interlaced (they are almost always progressive) but it's perfectly legit and in the standards. Is that what you mean by "horizontal lines of compression" because interlacing has a combing effect when a file is viewed on a PC screen.

I pulled it into my video editing programme and could separate the fields out, so this file would look fine when displayed on a TV screen. I always prefer to keep source material in its original interlaced form, deinterlacing is destructive and cannot be undone (but it is fine as an output file for, say, viewing on an iPad).

Clip Magnet
ohnoitisnathan
I know when I've converted vob to mp4 before, using a conversion program, it usually ends up with faint horizontal lines of compression throughout, particularly evident during any intense graphic scenes or where there is rapid movement/editing.

It looks to me that this MP4 file is interlaced. It is not common for MP4s to be interlaced (they are almost always progressive) but it's perfectly legit and in the standards. Is that what you mean by "horizontal lines of compression" because interlacing has a combing effect when a file is viewed on a PC screen.

I pulled it into my video editing programme and could separate the fields out, so this file would look fine when displayed on a TV screen. I always prefer to keep source material in its original interlaced form, deinterlacing is destructive and cannot be undone (but it is fine as an output file for, say, viewing on an iPad).

Yes, it's probably just the interlacing in an mp4 making it look this way... but when I upload interlaced videos (though they're the original vobs I upload) to YouTube, the resulting mp4 files when I download the video I've uploaded don't have this problem. So, if possible, I'd still love to get the original vob file.

I'm with you - the less file conversion, the better

Chad Lofts
ohnoitisnathan
Chad Lofts
Clip Magnet
Hi Chad - great list of videos! I would be interested in MPG/VOB uploads of the following:

Whose Problem? – The Models
Just What I Needed - The Cars

(and My Heart’s On Fire – Machinations which Nathan has already asked for )

Fantastic work and from the Youtube uploads - great quality too.

Thanks!

Hey.. No problem.

What I'll do is I'll open up this folder and just drop stuff into there for people to download..

Can I ask if the vob file in the folder contains the Machinations clip? It's 900MB+, so presumably contains more than just the Machinations video.

Hey,

I just copied the file directly from the DVD so it is

I Drink Alone – George Thorogood & The Destroyers (half - other half on previous vob)
Just a Shadow – Big Country
My Heart’s On Fire – Machinations
Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan
Underground – The Angels
Send My Heart – The Adventures
I’m Going Down to Liverpool (Live on TV) – The Bangles
Belle of St. Mark (Live on TV) – Sheila E

I've also uploaded Music Videos.mp4 which contains all of the music videos (but is around 4 gig)

Thanks, I'll download it later.

Chad Lofts
Hey.. No problem. What I'll do is I'll open up this folder and just drop stuff into there for people to download..

Thanks Chad and the mystery was solved... I was intrigued by The Models "Whose Problem?" since I had never heard of the song... but it's a typo. The Motels!

Cheers!

Chad, I've downloaded the vob now, and it looks good. Thanks!

Hi Chad,

Are you able to please upload The Let Me Be video again bust as a vob file. The MP4 file is out of sync by quite a bit for some reason. If you are also able to do a vob file for F.A.B - Happy People as well, I would be truly appreciative?

The Machinations vob that you did is awesome quality, very very impressed.

By any chance do you have other tapes laying around home that you haven't gone through as yet?

Thankyou heaps Chad

F A B's 'Happy People' was aired on rage a few years ago, during a Vault special (I think 2014).

Lee

I might be missing something obvious, but I can't see a vob for that clip in the directory. All I see is two MP4 versions, one interlaced and one not interlaced, both about the same MB size.

Clip Magnet
Lee

I might be missing something obvious, but I can't see a vob for that clip in the directory. All I see is two MP4 versions, one interlaced and one not interlaced, both about the same MB size.

Hi Clip Magnet

The vob is not a single video. It is about 950mb and the picture in the folder is from George Thorogoods song. The Machinations video is full and the quality is better than the one I have at the moment and clean. It was on Countdown last year but that wasn't the full video. If you don't want to download the whole lot, I don't mind uploading for you just the Machinations clip?

ohnoitisnathan
F A B's 'Happy People' was aired on rage a few years ago, during a Vault special (I think 2014).

Hi Nathan,

Yes mate I did grab that one but I am hoping Chad's might be clean. I am quite surprised that some or most of Chad's videos have come up so well. He has transferred from a tape that 32 years old. I hope my DVD's last that long!!

Lee
The vob is not a single video. It is about 950mb and the picture in the folder is from George Thorogoods song. The Machinations video is full and the quality is better than the one I have at the moment and clean.

Ah I see. Thanks for the offer Lee but I'm fine to download it. Cheers!

Hey all,

I've put an ISO of the entire DVD in the folder for anyone who wants to download that..