Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: retro month week 1

I trust that the Lene Lovich episode is the one that Patrick suggested from 1983. I never knew that it existed and have no idea what is on it. A big thank you to Patrick for this one.

Russell Hitchcock episode is hopefully ep 309 November 8 1981 as that is the only one he hosted that has yet to be shown. They did have Jimmy & The Boys on that episode.

Rik and Tim from Venetians hosted ep 503 April 6 1986.

8th November 1981 (309) (55 minutes)
Host - Russell Hitchcock from Air Supply
1 - Jimmy & The Boys - Get Off My Cloud
2 - Air Supply - Here I Am
3 - Sunny Boys - Alone With You
4 - Men At Work - Down Under
5 - Kevin Borich Express - Shy Boy Shy Girl
6 - Def Leppard - Let It Go (Music Video)
7 - Greg Kihn Band - The Break Up Song (Music Video)
8 - Pointer Sisters - Should I Do It (Music Video)
9 - Charlie Dore - Listen (Music Video)
10 - The Tubes - Talk To Ya Later (Music Video)
11 - Hazel O'Connor - Waiting (Music Video)
12 - Rolling Stones - Start Me Up (Music Video)

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like a playlist is going up for this weekend

Playlists up (but not linked on the website) now:

Saturday morning (though only until 9am):
http://www.abc.net.au/rage/archive/s4600951.htm

Saturday night:
http://www.abc.net.au/rage/archive/s4600948.htm

retro content finishes at 5am, as happened last year, followed by new releases/a repeat of Saturday morning's vault segment Why they feel the need to do this, I don't know... 'Countdown' and similar programs are not M-rated, and therefore can be repeated on ABC ME during the week with no problem.

Does anybody know what is happening between 4:30am and 5:00am, I am pretty sure James Freud's video doesn't go for 30 minutes, if it does then that must be a new record for a music video.

Lee
Does anybody know what is happening between 4:30am and 5:00am, I am pretty sure James Freud's video doesn't go for 30 minutes, if it does then that must be a new record for a music video.

Lee - that's just the peculiarities of rage's 30 minute time tags - the playlist time is the most recent 30 minute tick-over that occurs before that clip. So a clip indicated as showing in the 04:30 'window' can start at any time from 04:30:00 to 04:59:59. Normally this is not a problem when each clip is only 3 or 4 minutes long, so there's many clips in each 30 minute slot, but when the "clip" is an entire 58 minute Countdown episode you get the weirdness you see in the current playlist.

A better way to interpret tonight's playlist is the Countdowns are running roughly on the hour (00:00, 01:00, 02:00, 03:00 and 04:00) and the clips in-between are just before the hour. So DARRYL COTTON clip is on just before 1am, LENE LOVICH just before 2am, AIR SUPPLY just before 3am, and JAMES FREUD just before 5am. So no, it doesn't go for 30 minutes

The old mobile rage app showed the minute start time of every clip, unfortunately it died a death a long time ago.

Clip Magnet

A better way to interpret tonight's playlist is the Countdowns are running roughly on the hour (00:00, 01:00, 02:00, 03:00 and 04:00) and the clips in-between are just before the hour. So DARRYL COTTON clip is on just before 1am, LENE LOVICH just before 2am, AIR SUPPLY just before 3am, and JAMES FREUD just before 5am. So no, it doesn't go for 30 minutes

Correct except these should be an hour earlier than you've written. retro month finishes at 5am, and rage repeat the 5-6 and 6-7 hours on ABC ME during the week on Tuesday/Wednesday nights respectively. I wish they wouldn't do that, and retro material went right through until 7am, as it used to do in years gone by.

Clip Magnet

The old mobile rage app showed the minute start time of every clip, unfortunately it died a death a long time ago.

That was so handy knowing the exact times when everything started. Bring back the Rage app

Gary
Clip Magnet

That was so handy knowing the exact times when everything started. Bring back the Rage app

Yes, that was handy. It's not too bad this week though with only Countdowns and one in-between video shown. It's not like we have to wait for a 90 minute Nick Cave concert to finish or something, as happened one year

Clip Magnet
Lee

Lee - that's just the peculiarities of rage's 30 minute time tags - the playlist time is the most recent 30 minute tick-over that occurs before that clip. So a clip indicated as showing in the 04:30 'window' can start at any time from 04:30:00 to 04:59:59. Normally this is not a problem when each clip is only 3 or 4 minutes long, so there's many clips in each 30 minute slot, but when the "clip" is an entire 58 minute Countdown episode you get the weirdness you see in the current playlist.

Hi Clip Magnet my good buddy

Thankyou so much for your awesome explanation. I totally understand now.

I did think it looked a bit peculiar when I first saw it. I knew that the James Freud video couldn't go for 30 minutes that would be absurd. The Michael Jackson videos that go for over 20 minutes are way too long

I hope you had a good Christmas and New Year!

Hi Lee, I emailed you weeks before Christmas, hope you got my email and the discs?

So I recorded Countdown on the HDD last night and was wanting to break it up to burn them onto disc this morning. Not working and yes, it has worked many a times before.

Nathan, can you please tell me if rage on any ABC channels are likely to repeat any Countdowns during the week (I'm assuming Wednesday morning? yes?), so I can at least record another one straight onto disc.

Hi Michael, based on last week: Tuesday night on ABC1 they aired selected video from the first 4 hours of the New Years special from Saturday night in a 1 hour and 45 minute block. On Wednesday night on ABC3 they played the 6:00am to 9:00am block in their entirety. This is you best chance at getting a rerun of Countdown.

Michael
So I recorded Countdown on the HDD last night and was wanting to break it up to burn them onto disc this morning. Not working and yes, it has worked many a times before.

Nathan, can you please tell me if rage on any ABC channels are likely to repeat any Countdowns during the week (I'm assuming Wednesday morning? yes?), so I can at least record another one straight onto disc.

Yes, normally Wednesday morning's ABC program is a repeat of part of Saturday night... except I'm pretty sure there is no Wednesday morning show this week.

What recording setting did you record the show in? On a single layer DVD, you can fit an hour of XP/FINE, and 2 hours of SP. Can't you break your recording into separate files?

Frank FM
Hi Michael, based on last week: Tuesday night on ABC1 they aired selected video from the first 4 hours of the New Years special from Saturday night in a 1 hour and 45 minute block. On Wednesday night on ABC3 they played the 6:00am to 9:00am block in their entirety. This is you best chance at getting a rerun of Countdown.

That doesn't normally happen, though. ABC ME Tuesday night is usually a repeat of the 5-6 Sunday morning segment, and ABC ME Wednesday night is usually a repeat of the 6-7 Sunday morning segment. Neither of those segments this week were retro month material, though the 5-6 segment contained a repeat of Saturday morning's vault section (as is usually the case).

Michael, I'm in the process of editing my recording. I cut it down to individual episodes and save as MP4 files, which I'm happy to share if they're of any use to you (note that I use the H.265 codec format so your DVD software would need to support that)
Here's an example - the 24/02/1980 episode:
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D2907716_07271324_965032

(I'd be happy to share my original recording too, but it's the raw .TS file and is 13GB in size so it'd take a while for me to upload)

As I can also no longer record any Countdowns since my relocation to the country (and I get stuck working in the city) anyone who can file share MP4's of the episodes would be get a very warm welcome from me as well!!

Regards

Brett

Brett / anyone else interested, please email me using the link below this post ...

ohnoitisnathan
Michael

Yes, normally Wednesday morning's ABC program is a repeat of part of Saturday night... except I'm pretty sure there is no Wednesday morning show this week.

What recording setting did you record the show in? On a single layer DVD, you can fit an hour of XP/FINE, and 2 hours of SP. Can't you break your recording into separate files?

Hi Nathan, sorry for the late reply. I recorded it in XP. Then wanted to divide titles, but this time when i do it ie hit the pause button which divides it, it actually pauses and doesn't divide. I have a panasonic hdd recorder 2009. Maybe it's on the way out? Anyway, i'll just have to hook up my other dvd recorder to it and play the episodes and record as i go onto 5 discs. I only like one Countxown on each disc for better quality. Thanks Luuuc for offering your services, but sounds confusing. I'm old school.

Luuuc
Brett / anyone else interested, please email me using the link below this post ...

Thanks a lot, Luuuc. You rock!