Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vault special scheduled on rage for Saturday night 7th May

Just saw this on the rage Extras page. Doesn't leave long to make requests/suggestions (if the playlist isn't already finalised), though.

Re: Vault special scheduled on rage for Saturday night 7th May

Well that's exciting news. I send in my requests every few months, so they are probably sick of getting letters from me! It would be very cool if some of them got played though...

One of my requests was played on one of the Tuesday morning vault shows a couple of months ago. Coincidence? Or not?

Clip Magnet
One of my requests was played on one of the Tuesday morning vault shows a couple of months ago. Coincidence? Or not?

Which one was it?

Jason and I both suggested a SAW Vault for Tuesday morning, and it happened just a week or two later (but on a Monday morning). Though rage were asking for ideas for Vault themes.

I also suggested a creepy/'stalker' songs Vault theme, and they seemed to be working on that, combined with an obsessive love songs theme someone else suggested.

ohnoitisnathan
Which one was it?

Dec 21 - Godley & Creme "Save A Mountain".

ohnoitisnathan
Though rage were asking for ideas for Vault themes.

I'm not on Facebook so I can't suggest themes unless I write rage a letter, but I reckon a good one would be "long videos" e.g. music videos longer than 10 minutes.

I'd like them to play the Tin Machine album promo clip which goes for 12 minutes. There's a 17 minute version of Duran Duran's "New Moon On Monday". The long version of David Bowie's "Blue Jean" goes for 20 minutes although that had a run in the tribute show. Michael Jackson is the king of overblown videos, which started with Thriller (14 minutes, gets played quite frequently) leading to other overblown efforts such as "Bad" (16 minutes) and "Ghosts" (a ridiculous 39 minutes). I would be very happy if they skipped all those.

But I'm sure there's probably more interesting and rare long videos they could show. They would only need about 8 or 10 of them to fill 2 hours.

Would you be able to suggest that to rage :)

And then they could back it up the following week with their shortest videos, although that would obviously take a lot more programming to fill the show :)

The shortest music video I have in my collection is Cold Chisel "Hold Me Tight" which goes for 1 min 46 sec. It's the only one I have less than 2 minutes long. The next shortest one I have is Clouds "Here Now" which is 2 min 3 sec.

I'm sure there are shorter videos around that are proper videos for real songs released as singles.

Clip Magnet
I reckon a good one would be "long videos" e.g. music videos longer than 10 minutes.

During the watermark-in-the-4:3-screen-area years, I think 2011 or 2012, they had an 'Epic videos' special, for expensive and/or long music videos. I didn't pay that much attention to it though, as I wasn't as keenly following rage during those years.

I can suggest it to rage, but I think it has more impact if it comes from a new person suggesting it rather than the same person (i.e. me ) requesting things all of the time.

Clip Magnet
And then they could back it up the following week with their shortest videos, although that would obviously take a lot more programming to fill the show :)

The shortest music video I have in my collection is Cold Chisel "Hold Me Tight" which goes for 1 min 46 sec. It's the only one I have less than 2 minutes long. The next shortest one I have is Clouds "Here Now" which is 2 min 3 sec.

I'm sure there are shorter videos around that are proper videos for real songs released as singles.

The shortest videos from rage I have on one of my drives (which makes it easy to sort by length) are:

0:59 The Residents - The Simple Song
1:02 The Residents - The Act of Being Polite
1:06 Custard - Short Pop Song

I've got 18 videos from rage on this drive that are under 2 minutes long.

At the longer end I've got:

13:21 Michael Jackson - Thriller
12:07 Boney M. - That's Boonoonoonoos/Train to Skaville/I Shall Sing
11:11 Michael Jackson - Black Or White
10:35 Stevie Wonder - Do I Do

That's all of the videos from rage I have on this drive that are longer than 10 minutes.

According to the DVB (onair) TV guide, Sat 7th May is programmed by GangGajang, not a Vault special. Although I imagine Cal & co. will programme quite a few vault clips.

I wonder if it has slipped 1 week due to Prince carking it?

Clip Magnet
According to the DVB (onair) TV guide, Sat 7th May is programmed by GangGajang, not a Vault special. Although I imagine Cal & co. will programme quite a few vault clips.

I wonder if it has slipped 1 week due to Prince carking it?

Well the rage Extras page, which was updated mid/late last week, has this:

7 May - Vault Special

and that's as far as it goes.

I would gather that is more accurate than the TV guide. But I guess we'll see.

Kate Ceberano recorded a guest programmer segment for rage recently too, but no date has been posted for that yet.

ohnoitisnathan
Kate Ceberano recorded a guest programmer segment for rage recently too, but no date has been posted for that yet.

As long as we get all 3 over the next few weeks - a Vault special, and GP's by GangGajang and Kate I'll be a very happy camper

The Coming Up section of the rage website has GANGgajang coming up for this weekend... but the Extras page still says Vault special.

I gather it's GANGgajang though, as they wouldn't have put that on the Coming Up page today if not.

Some shocking typos though in the description:

Sit out on the patio, breath some humidity and watch Gang Gajang host Rage.

Here's a selection of what they'll be playing:

Jimmy Barnes – No Second Place
Yothu Yindi – Tjupina

Clip Magnet
ohnoitisnathan
Which one was it?

Dec 21 - Godley & Creme "Save A Mountain".

ohnoitisnathan
Though rage were asking for ideas for Vault themes.

I'm not on Facebook so I can't suggest themes unless I write rage a letter, but I reckon a good one would be "long videos" e.g. music videos longer than 10 minutes.

I'd like them to play the Tin Machine album promo clip which goes for 12 minutes. There's a 17 minute version of Duran Duran's "New Moon On Monday". The long version of David Bowie's "Blue Jean" goes for 20 minutes although that had a run in the tribute show. Michael Jackson is the king of overblown videos, which started with Thriller (14 minutes, gets played quite frequently) leading to other overblown efforts such as "Bad" (16 minutes) and "Ghosts" (a ridiculous 39 minutes). I would be very happy if they skipped all those.

But I'm sure there's probably more interesting and rare long videos they could show. They would only need about 8 or 10 of them to fill 2 hours.

Would you be able to suggest that to rage :)

Hello Clip Magnet and Nathan, how's things guys?

Just wanted to let you know that I have the "New Moon On Monday" - Movie version it goes for 17:40. It is a DVD rip but NTSC if you are interested?

I was also going through my Duran Duran collection and if interested I also have "Someone Else Not Me" - Betamax PAL and also the 720p Master of "Girl Panic"? if you are interested just let me know

Have fun

Lee

All good for me...
Lee
Just wanted to let you know that I have the "New Moon On Monday" - Movie version it goes for 17:40. It is a DVD rip but NTSC if you are interested? I was also going through my Duran Duran collection and if interested I also have "Someone Else Not Me" - Betamax PAL and also the 720p Master of "Girl Panic"? if you are interested just let me know

Thanks for the offer, but I have all those. I actually edited the Girl Panic video to make a 'proper' music video without interruptions. I reckon it's better than the original... maybe I should upload it to YouTube, provided it won't result in my account being shut down

Clip Magnet
Lee

All good for me...
Lee
Just wanted to let you know that I have the "New Moon On Monday" - Movie version it goes for 17:40. It is a DVD rip but NTSC if you are interested? I was also going through my Duran Duran collection and if interested I also have "Someone Else Not Me" - Betamax PAL and also the 720p Master of "Girl Panic"? if you are interested just let me know

Thanks for the offer, but I have all those. I actually edited the Girl Panic video to make a 'proper' music video without interruptions. I reckon it's better than the original... maybe I should upload it to YouTube, provided it won't result in my account being shut down

I uploaded a 'Careless Memories' video ripped from rage last year, and that was allowed.

Generally (but not always) if a video is on a Vevo or official record company channel, it will be blocked worldwide if you try to upload it. Copyright strikes only count against your account when you receive a take-down notice (i.e. you had the video uploaded, but someone files a notice to have it removed later on). Strikes expire after 6 months now, but if you get 3 strikes before they have expired, your account will be closed.

Clip Magnet
Lee

All good for me...
Lee

Thanks heaps Clip Magnet. I don't want your channel going down as it is a great source for some awesome videos.

So now I am assuming that you have all the Duran Duran videos, are you missing any at all?

Thanks heaps mate

ohnoitisnathan
Clip Magnet
Lee

All good for me...
Lee

I uploaded a 'Careless Memories' video ripped from rage last year, and that was allowed.

Generally (but not always) if a video is on a Vevo or official record company channel, it will be blocked worldwide if you try to upload it. Copyright strikes only count against your account when you receive a take-down notice (i.e. you had the video uploaded, but someone files a notice to have it removed later on). Strikes expire after 6 months now, but if you get 3 strikes before they have expired, your account will be closed.

And all your 60 odd channels are fantastic to Nathan. I love every single one of them. You certainly have some very fine videos.

I didn't know that strikes expire after 6 months, I have one at present so that should be gone soon. Thanks for the info mate!!

Lee
And all your 60 odd channels are fantastic to Nathan. I love every single one of them. You certainly have some very fine videos.

I didn't know that strikes expire after 6 months, I have one at present so that should be gone soon. Thanks for the info mate!!

Thanks!

If you go to Creator Studio (beneath your channel icon) then to Channel on the left hand side of the page, it will show your account status. If you have any strikes, they will be listed there, along with the date they expire.

You now get a warning, it seems, when you have uploaded 2 videos that are instantly blocked worldwide. If you get 3 warnings, you temporarily lose some features (being able to monetise your videos, custom thumbnails, uploading videos longer than 15 minutes - for verified accounts), but the warning expires after a month, and does not put your account in jepoardy - only take-down notices do.

ohnoitisnathan
You now get a warning, it seems, when you have uploaded 2 videos that are instantly blocked worldwide. If you get 3 warnings, you temporarily lose some features (being able to monetise your videos, custom thumbnails, uploading videos longer than 15 minutes - for verified accounts), but the warning expires after a month, and does not put your account in jepoardy - only take-down notices do.

I've had one instance of 3 warnings on my channel so far, and simply didn't upload anything for a month until it expired. I've never received a takedown notice.

I steer a mile away from any clip that is on Vevo or an official record company channel or iTunes. That's committing suicide. I always do exhaustive searches first before uploading. In any event, I respect the fact that they've uploaded a clean and often remastered copy, so there's actually no need or point me doing the same. My mission is to upload what record companies haven't.

In quite a few cases HQ "clean" clips on my channel have survived for a year or more until the record company uploaded their own copy. Simple Minds "Chelsea Girl", Cars "Since You're Gone", The Dandy Warhols "Horse Pills" and a few Duran Duran clips have had this done to them. They get globally blocked and I have to delete them to restore account privileges.

I've had a few weird things happen. I uploaded Jane Wiedlin "World On Fire" and it was up for a few weeks but then blocked worldwide and I got a warning. I changed its status to private and a few months later the worldwide block disappeared. I'm tempted to make it public again, but also worried what might happen.

I've had two instances of incorrect ContentID being applied - basically saying a certain song had been identified in my video but it's actually not. One of those (Peter Gabriel "Shaking The Tree", ContentID said it was "Sweet Lullaby" Album Version 2004) led to a warning but a few months later the incorrect ID disappeared and the clip became viewable again.

Lee
Thanks heaps Clip Magnet. I don't want your channel going down as it is a great source for some awesome videos.

You are too kind...
Lee
So now I am assuming that you have all the Duran Duran videos, are you missing any at all?

Nope, got 'em all now as far as I know. So thanks again, you did your bit

The electronic TV guide has the Vault special listed for this coming weekend.

Clip Magnet

In quite a few cases HQ "clean" clips on my channel have survived for a year or more until the record company uploaded their own copy. Simple Minds "Chelsea Girl", Cars "Since You're Gone", The Dandy Warhols "Horse Pills" and a few Duran Duran clips have had this done to them. They get globally blocked and I have to delete them to restore account privileges.

You shouldn't need to delete the videos. A record company can decide to block other users' uploads of a video, but it won't affect your account standing unless you receive a copyright strike (take-down notice, requiring you to complete 'copyright school' before you can access your account).

I have about 5 videos by The Chimes that are currently blocked worldwide, but they were allowed initially... then years later blocked, then allowed again, and now blocked again. But none of it has affected my account standing on any of those accounts.

Clip Magnet

I've had two instances of incorrect ContentID being applied - basically saying a certain song had been identified in my video but it's actually not. One of those (Peter Gabriel "Shaking The Tree", ContentID said it was "Sweet Lullaby" Album Version 2004) led to a warning but a few months later the incorrect ID disappeared and the clip became viewable again.

This happened to me with Gary Clail's 'Human Nature'. It was on youtube for months but then a Japanese company (not the original record label) decided to file a notice because (I found out) it appeared on a compilation album they released. Except it was the wrong track; it wasn't 'Human Nature'. I filed a counter-notice, on the basis they had identified the wrong track, and it was restored anyway.

Now that Prince is dead, I uploaded 'Thieves In the Temple' (regular video; the extended version is instantly blocked), and it was allowed, to my surprise. The record company were monetizing it, and it had no country/device viewing restrictions. But then just yesterday (2 weeks later), I received a take-down notice from his sister I don't know how she can override the record company's decision that it was allowed on youtube.

She also filed a notice for my upload of Quindon Tarver's 'When Doves Cry' video last year, which is a cover version (hence I didn't think it would be a problem) of a Prince track. I recently re-uploaded it on another channel anyway, and haven't received another strike from her yet.

But I've had other Prince-related videos on youtube for years/months (Apollonia 6's 'Sex Shooter' and Vanity 6's 'Nasty Girl'), and they've been fine.

ohnoitisnathan
You shouldn't need to delete the videos.

YouTube keep changing the rules, seemingly every few months or so. When this happened (forget exactly which clip it was) about 3 years ago, the clip was blocked worldwide, and my Channel Status indicated my account was not in good standing (dreaded red dot next to "Copyright"). I deleted the offending video and instantly my account went back to being in good standing.

My recollection is YouTube changed the rules again about 6 months after that, saying that deleting blocked videos wouldn't fix bad account standing.

ohnoitisnathan
But I've had other Prince-related videos on youtube for years/months (Apollonia 6's 'Sex Shooter' and Vanity 6's 'Nasty Girl'), and they've been fine.

Hey, I have 'Nasty Girl' on my channel (ultimate remaster :-) and yes, it seems fine.

Blurb on the website now... I wonder which Bananarama video it is:

This Saturday we've got a VAULT SPECIAL for you, so kick back and prepare for an entertaining night journeying back through music video history. We love these occasions that allow us to unscrew The Vault door and lay light to some tapes we haven't shown for a long time.

If you're a sucker for rare music videos, you do NOT want to miss this week's Raaaage!

The Vault Special will be uncovering lost gems from BANANARAMA, STEVIE WONDER, BOBBY BROWN, ENYA, JAMES BROWN AND THE FAMOUS FLAMES and much much more.

Watch the VAULT SPECIAL on Rage, Saturday 30th April from 10:30-11:30am, returning for the night from 11:05pm on ABC1.

A pretty good playlist for the Vault special.
Good too see Rage has chosen some lesser known stuff rather than the same old, same old.

Especially impressed with the three Bats clips - brings back some great memories of that time...

I got one of my requests up! Yay! One is better than none!

Robert De Niro's Waiting - rare vid.? Please.

A lot of songs I don't know in tonight's line up. Will be interesting.

Clip Magnet

Which one was it?

A few I had suggested before... like 2+ years ago, so rage must keep lists of suggestions (or it was just a major coincidence).

There was a lot of obscure stuff I didn't know either - some interesting, some not really my thing.

Michael
Robert De Niro's Waiting - rare vid.? Please.

A lot of songs I don't know in tonight's line up. Will be interesting.

'Robert De Niro...' isn't 'rare' by any means, but it hasn't aired on rage probably ever, or at least not since the playlists have been online (before 1998 ).

ohnoitisnathan
Clip Magnet

Which one was it?

The first clip played - XTC "Wonderland". I had a fairly good NTSC copy but they're never as clear as the PAL original. I've requested it about 4 times over the past 2 years, most recently 2 months ago.

The Vault special was OK - lots of obscure stuff they haven't played in a decade or more, some not so obscure (e.g. Enya).

Clip Magnet

The first clip played - XTC "Wonderland". I had a fairly good NTSC copy but they're never as clear as the PAL original. I've requested it about 4 times over the past 2 years, most recently 2 months ago.

The Vault special was OK - lots of obscure stuff they haven't played in a decade or more, some not so obscure (e.g. Enya).

Yeah, NTSC never looks as good as PAL. Though many of the Vault clips that aired on the weekend looked fuzzy/dull/not sharp, picture-wise, due to whatever video encoding process rage use these days/have done since 2012.

I'd never seen that Enya video on rage before, though I assume it was aired as a new release in 1989. I didn't need a copy though, as I already had a copy from an official DVD source. Rage playing Enya willingly does not seem like 'rage' at all! Not that it's a bad thing.

They aired that Candyman 'Knockin' Boots' video in 2010, though, as a guest programmer selection. They re-encoded it for this special, too, which seems odd. I compared recordings, and this version that aired on the weekend wasn't any longer than the one they aired previously, so it's not like they didn't have a complete fade-out last time.