Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jon English RIP

What the??

Surely Rage could at least play a few of Jon's songs in his memory??
Perhaps, because he died on Wednesday and they didn't have much time, they are putting together a proper tribute to be shown next weekend...

This was very sad news. He did heaps of appearances on Countdown. This is what I came up with looking through my papers.

91/4 – 1976 summer special Hollywood 7 Clip discussed and shown in full (no. 37 for that year)

113 – Jon English hosts, performs Behind Blue Eyes, talks with Molly about his Minutes to Midnight album

159 – Jon English Hosts, interviewed in Humdrum and performs Words Are Not Enough

169 – Jon English performs Nights In Paradise

181 – Six Ribbons excerpt x2

184 – Six Ribbons excerpt Top Ten

208 – Hollywood 7, Nights In Paradise and Words Are Not Enough (excerpts?)

221 – Hot Town excerpt in Humdrum

228 – Jon English Hot Town excerpt in Chartbusters

235 – Awards. John English Performs Get Your Love Right.

238 – Jon English hosts and performs Carmilla

241 – Camilla excerpt

272 – Jon English performs Hold Back The Night

290 – Jon English Hosts and performs Straight From The Heart

305 – Jon English performs The Shining

314/4 – 1982 Summer Special John English finishes the show with Against The Wind

322 – Jon English hosts and performs Beating The Boards

335 – Jon English performs Jokers And Queens (with Marcia Hines)

389 – Jon English performs Some People Have All the Fun

562 – Excerpt from play Rasputin (49:07)

There's plenty for the RAGE team to chose from even if they just take some clips. Next retro perhaps they could play 238? To the best of my knowledge its never been repeated and it features him performing Camilla which I've always thought was one of his better songs.

Guru Bob
There is an episode of Countdown from July 16 1978 that John hosted that has never been shown on Rage due to quality as it was recorded off air, although I think it is still quite good. The ABC could show that as a tribute next Retro season or lift the segments featuring John for a tribute likely to air either this or next week.

Has been another sad week with Ross Hannaford, George Martin and John English all departing.

TV stations air shows with sub par video/audio all the time. If they aired that one

Sad about Jon - they could repeat the ballroom performance...just don't show that unicycle guy! Will always love Six Ribbons - one of the most romantic love songs ever

It looks like Rage are showing everything they have access to for the Ross Hanaford and Jon English tributes this morning. Was hoping they had a full performance of Six Ribbons (No.5 in Australia, No.1 Norway and No.4 Sweden...thanks wikipedia) or Turn The Page somewhere. Still, as comprehensive a special as you would find anywhere.

Yes, disappointing Turn The Page and Behind Blue Eyes are missing from Rage's tribute to Jon.
My two favourite songs of his.
Bur still a pretty good Special - would have required quite a bit of effort on Rage's behalf to find all those all clips and Countdown performances.

Watched it with great enjoyment. Loved seeing the clip for "Some People Have All The Fun"!