Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will Molly ever guest program rage and thoughts on mini series?

Will Molly ever guest program Rage? After almost 29 years I can't believe he has never done it. Maybe he has no interest? Maybe he wants to stay far far away from the ABC?, lol. I believe Michael Gudinski was going to guest program at one stage too but from what Rage said I no longer think that will happen. What are peoples thoughts on Mollys bio that aired on 7 the last 2 Sundays? Did anyone lack interest in watching it? I've spoken to 2 Countdown fans who didn't and I was surprised, it was worth watching just for all the Countdown footage that looked like it had been remastered as it looked better than ever despite their only really being small snippets. I thought the way Samuel Johnson portrayed Molly was great, especially the scenes from Countdowns 100th show. But back to Molly guest programming, it would be so amazing to have the man in the hat sit on the red couch, it would be kind of fitting for him to do so. I did read an article about a dude who went behind the scenes at Rage and he noticed a whiteboard with names of potential guest programmers and Mollys and Michaels names were both on it. Anyone read that article?

Re: Will Molly ever guest program rage and thoughts on mini series?

Who knows what rage's agenda is with selecting programmers...

I've suggested once or twice in the last few weeks that they should get Bananarama to guest program while they're here, which received no response. But a couple of days ago, someone asked if they were going to play specials for Bananarama, Prince & Madonna, due to recent/upcoming tours, and someone from rage replied with something like just "I don't know yet," which doesn't sound very likely.

Yet they're quite happy to have on some obscure 'alternative' act that hardly anyone's heard of . Although this weekend just gone's playlists weren't too bad (I don't really care who programs if the playlist is good), rage's facebook post on it only got about 3 comments (usually they get way more), suggesting I wasn't the only one who'd never heard of them before.

I'd never heard from them either but like you I enjoyed some of their choices like Christopher Cross and The Muppets. I'm not sure if I read it right on the Rage website but I think that was the second time they hosted. They might find it hard to get in commercial artists as they are required to do the segments and song choices for free, possibly having to turn down payed media appointments but who knows. Bananarama are still mega popular, I saw a vid posted to FB of their show in Melbourne on Saturday night (I think) and it looked like they were packing a stadium full of people. Singers like Belinda Carlisle (who I love) couldn't possibly do that but maybe it's because she tours here more often. Do you think it's the shows producer who maintains the FB group? Sometimes they can be quite engaging while other times we can feel deserted.

Nathan
Do you think it's the shows producer who maintains the FB group? Sometimes they can be quite engaging while other times we can feel deserted.

I've no idea who is behind the facebook page, but I would assume it's more than one person. And yes, like you, I've found sometimes they respond and 'engage', while other times you're lucky if they acknowledge anyone's posts.

rage has been a shambles (not their doing, but due to ABC policies/staffing) the last few months, with the mobile app not being updated (and now it's just blank), the playlists for the ABC shows during the week being largely anyone's guess (other than the Vault playlist, which they usually post on Facebook), even the Rage Extras/Coming Up page is lucky to be one week in advance where it used to be several weeks ahead.

That Muppet video they aired looked like it was a youtube rip (it even had a blurred artist/title credit from another show at the start), and the audio was badly out of sync. Some of the 'new' Vault videos they unearth look very low quality to my eyes.

Oh, and I've recorded both of the Molly episodes, but are yet to watch either.

I thought Part 1 was better than Part 2. I always find it frustrating when events and years are wrong. ie in Part 2, at 1985 Melbourne Cup when Molly gets a call from Bob Geldof to do Oz for Africa as part of Live Aid. Oz for Africa was July '85 and The Melbourne cup was the first week in November '85.

Also when Molly was in the car with his love interest and on the radio came 'Do They Know It's Christmas' by Band Aid and then he tuned the radio into 'Pleasure & Pain', so this would have been early '85????

What was the go with the filming of the episode of Boy George in the co-hosting chair and then Molly closed the show with 'Holiday'?

The woman that portrayed Madonna may not have looked a lot like her, but had the facial expression and attitude down pat.

I like the end of Part 1 when Molly punched out Squeak and said 'F@#k You Squeak' . I had no idea Lyn Randall was a bit of a party woman. I thought she kept Molly on the straight and narrow from Day 1 of being his personal assistant.

Also Iggy Pop in the tomb. That would have happened in 1979 and by this time it was 1980.

Channel 7 killed it with Ads. I would love to get the DVD and watch the whole show without any interruptions.

I watched the series on Blu Ray - I simply cannot stand commercial TV these days.

Enjoyed the mini-series overall. I agree with Michael though - the time-line was all over the place and was very distracting - at least for a Countdown fan who knew when certain events took place.

For example the bit in Part 1 where Molly interviews Prince Charles is shown to take place before episode 100 - which although both were in the same year happened in different times.

Overall though I liked it - I especially found the moments featuring Caroline in Part 1 to be very moving. I wish the mini-series had gone on longer really - Molly has had such a fascinating life.

Would love Molly to program Rage - bizarre he hasn't been asked either. But good the mini-series paid decent tribute to an amazing person.

I thought the mini-series was ok. Just ok though. As pointed out here, the anachronistic bits really grated. Pleasure & Pain at the same time as Band Aid... Madonna getting to number one in Australia with "Holiday" (did they mean Like A Virgin?)
A funny moment involving Wa Wa Nee placed at least a year before they hit the charts...
Cyndi Lauper in the montage of acts from 1981.
It also ended way too abruptly with the end of Countdown. Which would be fitting if it were a Countdown biopic, but it was about Molly.

Molly's comments on 'Wa Wa Nee' cracked me up, but as we know he wouldn't have said that as it was mid '85 a year before they hit the charts.

Brad
I thought the mini-series was ok. Just ok though. As pointed out here, the anachronistic bits really grated. Pleasure & Pain at the same time as Band Aid... Madonna getting to number one in Australia with "Holiday" (did they mean Like A Virgin?)
A funny moment involving Wa Wa Nee placed at least a year before they hit the charts...
Cyndi Lauper in the montage of acts from 1981.
It also ended way too abruptly with the end of Countdown. Which would be fitting if it were a Countdown biopic, but it was about Molly.

I recorded, but haven't watched, any of the miniseries yet. But gosh... this sounds poor! Even a quick perusal of wikipedia will tell you when those tracks were released (the right year if nothing else). Seriously, how lazy/incompetent were the people who 'researched' the chronology of these releases, if they did at all. Surely everyone knows Cyndi Lauper was not a thing in 1981!

I enjoyed the documentary more. Some great contributions, it's always nice to see people like Kim Wilde, Belinda Carlisle, Kylie & Dannii etc, all speaking with such affection for Molly. Interesting that he almost got married to Martha Davis!