Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Countdown Retro on ABC 3

Would love to see regular showings of Countdown or any other music show the ABC has done over the decades.

Although I have just read an article on the Crikey website about how copyright claims may make this impossible - a bit from the article...which mentions Countdown...

The ABC might not be able to preserve historically significant programs like episodes of Four Corners, Catalyst, Quantum and Compass, documentaries series like Liberals and Labor in Power, and state-based news programs, because copyright laws make it difficult to digitise such content without clearance from multiple copyright holders.

This comes from the ABC's response to the Australian Productivity Commissions Intellectual Property Arrangements public inquiry. Also at risk are some recordings of music and programs like Countdown, cricket broadcasts, and historical children's programming, such as Play School and Bananas in Pyjamas.

I think Crikey got their wires crossed slightly. Crikey's article would be pointing to release of these shows to the general public for sale - that's where a lot of the copyright hurdles come from. The ABC hold broadcast rights including repeats, but have to gain permission to release anything within a program that they don't hold rights to to the general public for sale.

The digitisation of Countdown occured well over 20 years ago when upgraded on air playback systems made themselves known, along with many other shows including GTK, Hitscene, Rock Arena etc etc, and as we know they have all been to air since. Those of you with the Countdown running sheets with included technical data will note a "Date Accessed" on each episode, with most being accessed in 1992.

Frankster
The digitisation of Countdown occured well over 20 years ago when upgraded on air playback systems made themselves known

I don't think all of the Countdowns were digitised then, because e.g. they repeated the Xmas 1986 episode of Countdown last year (or maybe it was the year before), after it was already aired again in 2009 - but the 2015 broadcast had been re-encoded/it looked like the same as the newer (and inferior) digitisation method rage have been using since March 2012 for any material that was not digitised before then. But this Countdown episode *was* digitised to air in January 2009, so I found it particularly odd that it had been re-done to air last year. This suggests to me that rage go to the analogue tapes to digitise the episodes each year, rather than storing the prevously-digitised copy, for some reason.

It also explains the issue with the Marc Hunter 'Big City Talk' Countdown performance last week - there is a version on youtube without the glitch that aired in January 2012 as a standalone video. The Countdown that aired last week then would have been digitised after January 2012, and after March 2012 when this new digitisation format came into being.

Definitely digitised Nathan - countdown originated on 2 inch and 1 inch tape and the machines to run those are no longer in use both in on-air rooms and production suites. I would imagine a safety or some other source was used for Big City Talk.

When VH1 were showing Countdown Studio performances back around 2006/07 I recall them playing 'Big City Talk' and I didn't recall seeing a glitch in the performance then, so I thought it was strange that rage's airing had it. Must have been a technical issue at the ABC that night?