Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 70s episodes please

If they have shown all the 70s ones then I'm wondering.. How many years has the retro month been going for? I've only got four of them and a couple of those was years ago from someone on here so I mustn't have been watching them for long...

Retro month has been a thing since 1993, I believe, back when it was only Countdowns shown.

I didn't really become a regular retro month watcher until 2002; shocking, I know!

ohnoitisnathan
Retro month has been a thing since 1993, I believe, back when it was only Countdowns shown.

I didn't really become a regular retro month watcher until 2002; shocking, I know!

That's not really that long after Countdown finished.. I had no idea it has been going on for that long.

Does that mean a lot of people still have theirs on VHS or have they transferred them to DVD?

I loved when it wasn't 'retro month'

It should have always stayed just Countdown and then the intro of Rock Arena and that is it. And I have transferred most of my VHS to DVD.

I started watching and taping from 1993, thank goodness

Yes actually I tend to agree. Countdown eps all the way. They were more to my liking than Rock Arena...etc.

Hi Chad, like Jason (and probably Guru Bob) I have been recording these since 1993 and have them on VHS up until 2005 and then recorded onto disc post 2005. I actually used to ring up the rage hotline (where you could listen to the playlist being read out and it cost a fortune) in 1992 and begged them to play Countdown episodes when you could leave a message after the beep. Ahh, they were the years! I used to do this weekly for about 6 months and bugger me, that night in January 1993 was amazing.

Chad Lofts
ohnoitisnathan

That's not really that long after Countdown finished.. I had no idea it has been going on for that long.

Does that mean a lot of people still have theirs on VHS or have they transferred them to DVD?

I have a lot from the 90s re-runs still on VHS. I have VHS recorder, but just never got around to transferring them yet. I think i only started taping on DVD from the early 00s re-runs.

I'd forgotten about the Rage hotline! Many times in 1992-93 I rang them to listen to the recorded message detailing every song they would be playing that night. They'd even recite the whole top 50/60 before it aired (or afterwards if you missed something).

I also remember the brief period when Rage was simulcast on FM radio, so often I'd be taping songs on cassette as well as VHS.

Brad
I'd forgotten about the Rage hotline! Many times in 1992-93 I rang them to listen to the recorded message detailing every song they would be playing that night. They'd even recite the whole top 50/60 before it aired (or afterwards if you missed something).

I also remember the brief period when Rage was simulcast on FM radio, so often I'd be taping songs on cassette as well as VHS.

I never once called the 0055 number. I probably would have if I'd known what it was (I assumed the 'information' just meant what was coming up in terms of specials etc.), and if I'd had more pocket money at the time to blow on it instead of other things.

The info for the 0055 number and simulcast on Triple J (starting NYE 1992 ) appears in this video... during #56 Teen Queens 'Love How You Love Me' (I put about 10-15 seconds of each video in it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ5yxdVWOoo

When the Triple J simulcast thing started, it ran for the full length of the top 60 on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It was quite strange hearing very commercial songs, like Peter Andre's 'Gimme Little Sign', airing on Triple J.

ohnoitisnathan
Brad

I never once called the 0055 number. I probably would have if I'd known what it was (I assumed the 'information' just meant what was coming up in terms of specials etc.), and if I'd had more pocket money at the time to blow on it instead of other things.

The info for the 0055 number and simulcast on Triple J (starting NYE 1992 ) appears in this video... during #56 Teen Queens 'Love How You Love Me' (I put about 10-15 seconds of each video in it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ5yxdVWOoo

When the Triple J simulcast thing started, it ran for the full length of the top 60 on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It was quite strange hearing very commercial songs, like Peter Andre's 'Gimme Little Sign', airing on Triple J.

Rage simulcast nights were the ONLY time I listened to Triple J. It was quite amusing that they had to play Peter Andre or Teen Queens during the top 60.

The hotline was very expensive and I got into trouble with my parents several times - I wonder what kind of "service" they thought I was calling in the middle of the night

One of the simulcast nights I remember for some reason was when they played Neneh Cherry's "Money Love" as a new release - because it was a song you'd never hear on the radio otherwise. Around that time I also taped some UK hits by Inner City, Innocence and Maxi Priest that you'd never hear here.

Brad
Rage simulcast nights were the ONLY time I listened to Triple J.

Me too at that point... although I never listened to a whole show simulcast, I remember once setting the VCR to record the top 60, then listening to a little bit of it in bed with my clock radio.

Brad
It was quite amusing that they had to play Peter Andre or Teen Queens during the top 60.

Yes, I'm sure they hated having to do that. Although if I remember correctly, they stopped simulcasting while the top 60 was airing a few months later. I remember hearing The Heights' 'How Do You Talk To An Angel' simulcast and thinking how it was so not a Triple J song.

Brad

The hotline was very expensive and I got into trouble with my parents several times - I wonder what kind of "service" they thought I was calling in the middle of the night

Brad

One of the simulcast nights I remember for some reason was when they played Neneh Cherry's "Money Love" as a new release - because it was a song you'd never hear on the radio otherwise. Around that time I also taped some UK hits by Inner City, Innocence and Maxi Priest that you'd never hear here.

Which Inner City track was it, do you remember?

I remember watching rage on New Year's Eve '92, which would have been the first time they went simulcast. I don't remember if that Neneh Cherry video was aired that night, but it was on the 3rd January '93 (I kept a written playlist of that episode for some reason and posted it here a while back).

For some reason it didn't click for me that Friday night aired new release videos up until the start of the top 60, until around mid '93. Then I used to go to bed on Friday night, get up around midnight to watch new releases live for a few hours, then go back to bed. I'm sure they aired a lot of rare videos that they haven't aired again since. Do you still have your VHS tapes/digital transfers from this period?