Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blackout section on 14th June, 1981?

On my DVD Recorder and Foxtel copy of Countdown 14th June, 1981 there was a section of black nothing on Marc Hunter's 'Big City Talk' . . . This didn't just hap[en on my end did it as it is apparent on both recordings of mine

Re: Blackout section on 14th June, 1981?

I got that too - so it must have been a fault with the source tape (or broadcast).

Yes me too!!

Ditto

Yup, here as well

Yep same here which made me so annoyed as I'm a big Marc Hunter Dragon admirer. If it had to do it why couldn't it be somewhere less interesting.

Did it happen on the repeat? Or wasn't that episode repeated?

This Countdown show with guest host Marc Hunter was not replayed. It is most likely the transmission of the show itself. If there was a repeat of it would still most likely occur again. Annoyed as I wanted a good copy of Marc performing Big City Talk in the Countdown studio. Oh well I spose you can't always have everything.

Scott
This Countdown show with guest host Marc Hunter was not replayed. It is most likely the transmission of the show itself. If there was a repeat of it would still most likely occur again. Annoyed as I wanted a good copy of Marc performing Big City Talk in the Countdown studio. Oh well I spose you can't always have everything.

Is it the same performance of this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Hig2QPTEI

Scott

I assume it was a tape error rather than a broadcasting one - in which case repeating it would have made no difference. But yeah, they could have repeated it on the ABC Tuesday night/Wednesday morning program (so we would know for certain then what the source of the error was), which re-aired the other Countdown shown.

I don't put the blackout in Big City Talk down to technical difficulties.
I put it down to whoever was in charge of censorship at the ABC at the time having a problem with the line " made a murder in the marketplace".
Given this was not long after John Lennon had been murdered,this might have had something to do with it.
And before everyone starts thinking my censorship theory sounds far fetched,go back to the End Of The Decade special for where they censored Rickie Lee Jones saying the word "sex" and the 1984 episode where they weren't allowed to say or show onscreen the word "sex" in Sex Crime (1984) as further proof that what happened to Big City Talk wasn't an isolated incident.

John
I don't put the blackout in Big City Talk down to technical difficulties.
I put it down to whoever was in charge of censorship at the ABC at the time having a problem with the line " made a murder in the marketplace".
Given this was not long after John Lennon had been murdered,this might have had something to do with it.
And before everyone starts thinking my censorship theory sounds far fetched,go back to the End Of The Decade special for where they censored Rickie Lee Jones saying the word "sex" and the 1984 episode where they weren't allowed to say or show onscreen the word "sex" in Sex Crime (1984) as further proof that what happened to Big City Talk wasn't an isolated incident.

...but the clip aired during the watermark in the 4:3 screen area years as a separate video without this blackout bit. Someone uploaded it to youtube, too.