Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Retro Week 5 playlist published - looks pretty good

11:30pm

COUNTDOWN September 13th, 1981 (Christopher Atkins) (Rage)
THE SWINGERS Counting The Beat (Festival)
COUNTDOWN March 14th, 1982 (Shakin' Stevens) (Rage)
AC/DC - LIVE AT THE APOLLO THEATRE, GLASGOW (1978) Let There Be Rock (SBME)
AC/DC Hells Bells (Sony)
AC/DC Whole Lotta Rosie (EMI)
COUNTDOWN July 28th, 1985 (AC/DC interview) (Rage)
RENEE GEYER Trouble In Paradise (Mushroom)
RENEE GEYER Born Under A Bad Sign (RCA)

3:00am

RENEE GEYER - Live at the 1975 Music Industry... It's A Man's Man's World (RCA)
COUNTDOWN September 21st, 1986 (Rage)
COUNTDOWN June 8th, 1986 (Wa Wa Nee) (Rage)
ROCK ARENA March 4th, 1986 (Rage)
COUNTDOWN April 26th, 1987 (Hoodoo Gurus and Suzi Quatro) (Rage)

Wow, six countdowns to finish off retro month - that is fantastic. Good to see a heap of countdowns from the later years of 1985 and 1986.

Re: Rage Retro Week 5 playlist published - looks pretty good

Lots of Countdowns... I hope the Rock Arena is the XTC one (does anyone know?)

The rage app hasn't yet been updated with the specific times.

STILL no update on the app (at least on my iPad). The coming up section is still only going up to 3rd January, too. They've started to let the ball drop on the app, too, by the looks of it

The main interruption to our viewing enjoyment will be when that soccer final runs overtime on Saturday night (as it invariably will). With Australia playing it will be even worse, especially if they happen to win. ABC will stay with it for miles past the scheduled 11.00pm, and I can guarantee they wont drop the Adam Hills show so look forward to a starting time of around 12.30 or even 1.00am!! As the last show is a Countdown from 1987 and that is a repeat anyway I am hoping that is the one that gets dropped from the line-up on the night and not any of the other 5.

^ Given that they repeat the 5-6am Sunday slot on Tuesday night, and the 6-7am Sunday slot on Wednesday night, it would make sense for them to drop the last hour (or two) if they need to... but hopefully that doesn't happen.

The other week when soccer affected the broadcast they cut a Hitscene from the middle of the program instead of something from the end.

I think they would only cut a Countdown if the soccer ran overtime by more than 30min.

The ABC broadcast is live and they have a 66min post game show so even if the game runs over it rarely goes that much that it will affect the programming.

We will live in hope.

Brett (2)
As the last show is a Countdown from 1987 and that is a repeat anyway I am hoping that is the one that gets dropped from the line-up on the night and not any of the other 5.

The April 26 1987 episode has not been shown before according to my records so I hope they don't axe anything.

Oh God, I totally forgot the soccer, thanks for the reminder.

To be honest if they have to chop some stuff, I hope they go for the rock arena - rock arena most of the time is rather indie for my liking at times which can become a yawn. That's not to say that Rock Arena is a bad show, there has been some good ones over the years, but also a lot of boring ones too, and I'd rather see the rock arena chopped then countdown.

ohnoitisnathan
I hope the Rock Arena is the XTC one (does anyone know?

I don't think it is. I don't have the runsheet for that Rock Arena (curiously missing) but there were XTC specials on Rock Arena on 29 Nov 1983, 4 Dec 1984 and 18 Oct 1986. So I doubt they would have had two in 1986. Just have to record it and find out...

A bit off the topic here, Hey Mark, I got your discs today. Did you get mine?

You are right there Gurubob, the 1987 show has not been seen in any Rage repeats along with the rest. The Suzi Quatro segment I have seen many times but will be good to see as part of the original episode.

Some more depressing news, now 30 minutes of extra time in that bloody soccer match. Of course it had to end up as a draw. Absolutely zero hope of Rage starting on time now. Expect at least one show to get the chop for sure. I reckon we will lose around 50 minutes of airtime now. Look for around a 1230 or 1235am start.

Last year it was Hockey and this year it's soccer

I'm thinking they may drop one of the '86 Countdowns

I thought uh-oh when I turned on ABC and saw that Australia had won the soccer... as Guru predicted, it's run overtime at least partly because of that.

Still, on the upside, it might give me some more time to clear some pace on my 80GB HDD/DVD recorder

The rage app hasn't been updated for this weekend still... not that it would be accurate anyway if they've had to chop/re-arrange things/start late.

As predicted rage is going to start around 40 minutes late. One countdown will be replaced by 15 minutes of Saturday morning clip repeats. Only question will be which countdown we will have to wait another 12 months to see.

Brett (2)
As predicted rage is going to start around 40 minutes late. One countdown will be replaced by 15 minutes of Saturday morning clip repeats. Only question will be which countdown we will have to wait another 12 months to see.

There are no Saturday morning repeats scheduled for tonight (nor were there last week). I'd love if they cut the AC/DC concert footage instead, but of course they won't.

It will be interesting to see whether they air any cut programs during the week on ABC3. Tuesday night is meant to repeat the 5-6am Sunday segment, and Wednesday night is meant to repeat the 6-7am Sunday segment.

Just out of interest, did ABC3 play the Hitscene episode that was cut a couple of weeks ago? If so, then whatever's cut tonight might get an airing during the weeknightz.

@MIcheal, thanks for the CDs, very much appreciated, I've sent you an email..

Regarding tonights rage, yesterday morning I left a comment on Rages Facebook that if they are going to loose time from the soccer that they could please cut the rock arena rather then any of the countdowns. See if that has any baring on tonight's programming. :/

Cheers Mark.

The missed hit scene got played on the following weeks retro week 4. The hitscene that got cut was replaced by 15 minutes of clips that were shown on the morning segment which is why I am thinking they will do the same thing again. Just kicked off with the 1981 show just now.

Just making sure my recordings for Rage Retro month week 5 are working after last weeks absolute disaster where I've lost everything from week 4, and everything looks fine so far. Currently playing Aretha Franklin's "Freeway of love" from the July 1985 episode.

Just googled Sally Boyden after seeing her on Countdown. I never knew that little Sally Boyden from YTT sang back up vocals for Duran Duran and The Dandy Warhols.

I watched it live up until the end of the 1985 episode, will catch the rest later.
Disappointed that they put the date subtitle over both the rare Aussie clips (Renee Geyer & Electric Pandas) on the 1985 episode. I know they have to put them somewhere but it would be nice to get a clean clip, whoever does it should keep in mind that there are people who have waited years for these and want to keep these shows.

So which episode did they cut? I went to bed at 3:20 and haven't watched the rest yet, but skimmed through it to divide my recording into separate programs for editing.

You win the prize Gary for correctly stating a 1986 show would get dropped. September 21 it was and gone into the ether to return in 12 months time if we are lucky, all because of the last 60 seconds of soccer when some last-minute goal got scored leading to 40 minutes of extra time. What did I tell you about sport always interfering with Rage but only in Retro season?

And as I predicted they just cut a segment of clips that ran for 15 minutes from the Saturday morning show and pasted that in the place of the 55 minute Countdown in order to regain time.

ohnoitisnathan
So which episode did they cut? I went to bed at 3:20 and haven't watched the rest yet, but skimmed through it to divide my recording into separate programs for editing.

21/09/86 which is probably the one that interested me the most out of the 86 and 87 stuff Nathan. Always the way isnt it? You heard it first at 9.53 last night from me in here as soon as I heard the soccer was going into extra time.

Those lifeless monkies at rage should be shot. Or more to the point, those animals who are responsible at ABC programming. :( :( :( :( Sorry, not a happy chap this morning - very very annoyed. The rock arena as per usual was as boring as hell. Quickly went through it all this morning to divide the titles up, and Gary was right on the money.

As I stated, 21/9/86 was my 19th B'day

Not happy they canned it, typical of the JJJ influened cretins who program RAGE.

I agree it is very frustrating, but it is not Rage that decides which programs to can if the night gets behind, that decision is done on the fly by program management to get the schedules back on time as best they can.

What we all know SHOULD happen is that those inane repeats of old shows leading into Rage were the obvious choice to be canned, especially the Adam Hills one which ran for 40 minutes exactly which was the show leading directly into Rage. And of course that is exactly how far behind they were almost to the minute once the soccer finished late - as we all knew it would once Australia was playing!!So you would think common sense would tell you that was the easiest option. It was not an option though because firstly 1. Rage cannot run overtime, the news programs that started at 0700 after Rage cannot be deferred. 2. The programs leading into Rage cannot be touched either.

So it boils down to Rage getting cut.

I was thinking the same - why not ditch Adam Hills? Ah well at least we're not still having to put up with that crap Recovery.

And do Rage have any other Swingers clips besides "Counting The Beat".

So far, five people (including myself) have posted on Facebook to have the episode shown on ABC3 this week. Please get on board in any way you can to post a comment. I suggested Tuesday night, which is when they show a Countdown episode in the 5-6am slot. Told them we cannot wait another 12 months!

Of course it would be wonderful if Recovery got chopped for the soccer. I think it could watch a thousand hours of that compared to 5 minutes of Recovery.

Michael
So far, five people (including myself) have posted on Facebook to have the episode shown on ABC3 this week. Please get on board in any way you can to post a comment. I suggested Tuesday night, which is when they show a Countdown episode in the 5-6am slot. Told them we cannot wait another 12 months!

Very good idea and I have done the same as well.

Brett (2)
I agree it is very frustrating, but it is not Rage that decides which programs to can if the night gets behind, that decision is done on the fly by program management to get the schedules back on time as best they can.

What we all know SHOULD happen is that those inane repeats of old shows leading into Rage were the obvious choice to be canned, especially the Adam Hills one which ran for 40 minutes exactly which was the show leading directly into Rage. And of course that is exactly how far behind they were almost to the minute once the soccer finished late - as we all knew it would once Australia was playing!!So you would think common sense would tell you that was the easiest option. It was not an option though because firstly 1. Rage cannot run overtime, the news programs that started at 0700 after Rage cannot be deferred. 2. The programs leading into Rage cannot be touched either.

So it boils down to Rage getting cut.

That's the problem with the repeat programming. Adam Hills airs on Wednesday night, is repeated on Thursday morning, shown again on Saturday night for a second repeat in 3 days and is available around the clock on iview anyhow. What is their desperation to air something that anyone with a remote interest in it would have already seen anyhow.

When the tennis is shown on Channel 7 or the cricket on Channel 9 and the news is due to start a message comes up that those wishing to continue watching that can go to 7Two or Gem. The ABC could have done exactly the same with no effect to their programming as ABC3 shuts down at 11pm on a Saturday and they could have switched Adam Hills to there or started Retro season there on time with no need for anything to be cut.

Hopefully those that have Facebook can plead the case for that episode to be screened during the week instead on Thursday night.

Ok, I'm on Facebook and have just posted a message asking Rage to air this on Thursday - be terrible to wait a whole year for this one........

Must admit I dread January sometimes as sports ALWAYS gets shown on a Saturday night (funny how it is NEVER shown any other time of the year!) So as a consequence if a sports match runs overtime everything else gets the wipe. And it's correct that the ABC could easily not air a show like the Adam Hills one that has already been shown several times anyway - very frustrating.

Anyway here's to Rage hopefully airing this missing Countdown......

I've just had what appears to be a confirmation from Rage about this missing show...

HI Rage - this January's Retro month was great as always and I know everyone appreciated your efforts. I have to ask though due to the soccer over-running last night by 40 minutes, this led to Rage cutting out a promised Countdown episode - 21 Sept 1986. Rather than wait a year until next January to see it, it would be great if Rage could air it during one of their slots during the week - the Thursday night slot on ABC3 would be ideal. Again, thanks for this January and hope to see this missing episode soon, cheers!
Like · · Share

rage Will probably show it during the week. Stay tuned.
Like · Reply · Just now

Good news, nice to know they do actually listen to their viewers (occasionally).

If this eventuates then a big thanks to all those Facebookers who helped out.

I will record Rage every night just in case although I expect it will be on either Tuesday or Thursday if it happens.

That would be the 201st 1980's Countdown to have been played by Rage.

Ok just had confirmation from Rage about the 1986 episode...

rage The September 21st, 1986 episode will be played on Wednesday night at 9:30pm on ABC3.

There you go - proof that an extra ABC channel is worth it sometimes....!

I've just put in a slight comment over there that hopefully this may lead to an inspiration in putting to air one ep a week in that timeslot :) Fingers crossed eh?

At Patrick,

Between you and I and a small handful, we get our 1986 missing episode!

It pays to be on rage's Facebook page, they HAD to play it or they knew we would be on their back. rage really are GOOD to us xxxxx

This is the exact point I and others have been making, it shows that rage can play COUNTDOWN on ABC3, one episode a week is more than viable!!!!!!

Great result. Well done to everyone who posted on facebook about it (I can't myself), it clearly worked.

One episode of Countdown a week would be brilliant. Even if it were repeats of episodes previously shown on Rage, it would still be getting it out there. I'd happily watch any eighties episodes anytime, especially 84-85.

Great news indeed and it pays to be on Facebook to keep Rage on their toes with airing shows.

But this does prove that ABC3 can easily be used to air classic music TV shows and other archived material. Might be an idea to keep on suggesting Rage or the ABC in general use their digital channels better in terms of airing older shows.

Anyway glad this 1986 episode will be aired, good news.