Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My review for rage goes retro 4

Was a BLAST seeing the BATDANCE comp again, loved it! And saw myself walking around a lot at the end (hahahaha) ... Such a CLASSIC C.Rev episode :-) Collette and Kylie xoxoxo And the reminder that Victoria SHOULD have won over the Queensland guy, still am annoyed by that! Kon Kan's, Bite The Bullet, adoooooore xoxoxoxo The 1985 Countdown with the live studio pre recorded Countdown production for CATS UNDER PRESSURE with Let Me Be was PHENOMINAL, WOW WOW WOW, gooooorgeous as was the fab colour from Rockmelons, Stephen Tin Tin Duffy to King and Nik Kershaw x The 1983 Countdown episode had a very SPECIAL Countdown promo with an extra Simmons drum SOUND which I have since repeated over and over! And Molly in the UK was a CACK! hahahaha .... Intro's from Toto Coelo and Belle Stars were GREAT ... AND ... MOST OF ALL ... The Reel To Reel with the space age back drop whilst Dave Mason hosted was sheer DELIGHT heaven! I also really enjoyed the 100th episode of Countdown Revolution with more Indecent Obsession and Martika int he studio and the Icehouse performance was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bri-llllllll-iant!

However, the Hitscene's were booooooring and Antenna, don't get me started ... A story on a Vietnamese family isn't MUSIC! And that whole first hour was pure TORTURE!

Re: My review for rage goes retro 4

Ha ha Jason, I just posted in the other thread that I didn't bother with the Batdance episode, maybe I should have given it a go! If I had know someone from this forum was in it that would have made it much more interesting.
Glad you enjoued it, then and now.

Glad you got the Batdance episode and enjoyed seeing it again.

I'm about a third of the way through and find it a bit boring TBH. Though I guess it's still 'interesting' to see, plus great to see Collette on there (I haven't got to her 'live' performance yet though) I was a bit shocked though when I heard some boos beneath the crowd cheer for Collette and David Dixon. Surprised I didn't hear any for Kylie.

I haven't yet watched the 1985 Countdown or the Antenna episodes, but have watched (or skimmed through in the case of the Warumpi Band stuff and the Hit Scene episodes) the rest.

The first episode of Countdown Revolution aired was good, with all the live performances, with even some ACTUAL live stuff. The second episode co-hosted by Elton and Neil Finn... not so much.

The 1983 episode of Countdown was great. Loved the Toto Coelo and Belle Stars intros. Would have been great to see them both interviewed though.

I am a bit surprised at the (relative) lack of Countdown over the last few weeks though, and the almost-absent Rock Arena. I wonder what they've got in store for next week. Hopefully no more Antenna or Hit Scene episodes, and no boring Countdown Revolutions. I'd love to see some of The Factory, but aren't counting on it.

And yes that Icehouse performance was great. I thought Iva's vocal was live at first, then I wasn't sure (though I know it was), because it sounded sooo close to the studio version. I didn't realise before that he was such a good live singer.

I also noticed that extra drum clap on the 1983 Countdown promo interlude thing, and thought it was cool.

The '83 Countdown was fun - Molly in the UK with his tiny hat was a hoot. I found Dave Mason's commentary to be interesting. Such as his comment on The Belle Stars usually doing covers.

Enjoyed the Hit Scenes except the third one which was way too much hard rock. Love the far out effects on the intros.

Antenna episodes were fun but not as much as last week. More Rebecca Hetherington!

And Countdown Revolution - not much to say. Although I liked Elton and Neil hosting,it's just so lifeless and boring. Haven't watched the Batdance episode or the '85 Countdown.

Is it just me, but I found the '83 episode boring. No studio audience, Dave Mason was a bore and 'Branded' & '1999' were on the first Countdown episode of 1983 (27/2/83). Thank god for 'Overkill' and 'Love Is A Stranger' to inject a bit of life into it. I did like Molly's Humdrum and The Top 10.

Nathan, from memory, Toto Coelo were interviewed when they played the clip for 'Dracula's Tango' which is on the 13/3/83 episode that was shown on rage about 5 years ago and from memory The Belle Stars got the same treatment on another episode or the same one.

Watched the 100th episode of Countdown Revolution (17/11/89) and loved it. Once again, I must have missed this episode in its day, as it was a Friday night. Hey, I was almost 16 and had better stuff to do on a Friday night. Martika went off, I was impressed with Bon Jovi's 'unplugged', even though I'm not a big fan and loved Icehouse. 'Touch The Fire' is one of my fave tracks of theirs. Strange that the birthday celebrations didn't go for an hour as you would think. It went too quick. It was strange that a slow song from Indecent Obsession kicked of the party.

Still to watch the '85 Countdown and the other CR's.

Also, that guy out of Antenna (Gerry Sont), he was also on 'Chances' - the aussie soap of the early 90's, which soon got the repuation of weird storylines and just showing naked people to improve ratings. Fast Forward or Full Frontal always took the p i s s out of it.

Michael

Nathan, from memory, Toto Coelo were interviewed when they played the clip for 'Dracula's Tango' which is on the 13/3/83 episode that was shown on rage about 5 years ago and from memory The Belle Stars got the same treatment on another episode or the same one.

If that's the episode that opens with 'Dracula's Tango (Sucker For Your Love)', then I've seen that episode/kept the video from it, but I don't recall an interview segment (and I WOULD have kept that). That re-aired just a few days after I heard 'Dracula's Tango' for the first time (downloaded it out of curiosity), so it was quite a spooky coincidence. And it was in 2006, but yes it only feels like about 5 years ago

Michael
Also, that guy out of Antenna (Gerry Sont), he was also on 'Chances' - the aussie soap of the early 90's, which soon got the repuation of weird storylines and just showing naked people to improve ratings. Fast Forward or Full Frontal always took the p i s s out of it.

Gerry (or Gerard as he was credited) was on Home and Away too, in '88 & '89, as rich a$$hole Brett Macklin who got 17 year-old Roo pregnant He also hosted 'Double Dare' in '89.

I thought I knew the host on Antenna from somewhere - not Chances but from Waterloo Station a short lived cop show from the 80's

Michael - not only was Gerry Sont in those shows as already mentioned but he was also in the classic Australian comedy movie 'Melvin, Son of Alvin' from 1984 where he played Alvin Purple's son - with Abigail playing his mother - it deserved awards for sure - or something at least......!

The whole night was good including the Hitscene episodes.

Now we have to wait for another 12 months.

ohnoitisnathan

And yes that Icehouse performance was great. I thought Iva's vocal was live at first, then I wasn't sure (though I know it was), because it sounded sooo close to the studio version. I didn't realise before that he was such a good live singer.

After viewing it again, I see the vocals *weren't* live Blame it on me being half asleep when viewing it this morning.

Dave

Next weekend is retro too (rage confirmed this a few weeks ago), as there are 5 Saturdays this January.

ohnoitisnathan
Dave

Next weekend is retro too (rage confirmed this a few weeks ago), as there are 5 Saturdays this January.

Ok, everyone's been saying it was only 4 weeks.

That's great and hope to see more Countdown's & Rock Arena.

Thanks ohnoitisnathan.

ohnoitisnathan

If that's the episode that opens with 'Dracula's Tango (Sucker For Your Love)', then I've seen that episode/kept the video from it, but I don't recall an interview segment (and I WOULD have kept that). That re-aired just a few days after I heard 'Dracula's Tango' for the first time (downloaded it out of curiosity), so it was quite a spooky coincidence. And it was in 2006, but yes it only feels like about 5 years ago

Yep, that's the episode I'm talking about. I guess I'm wrong then. I'm sure they got interviewed on some episode.

The Antenna shows were boring back in 85 so nothing has changed. I'd wish they'd have more 86/87 countdowns I was working shift work back then and missed most of them. So i'm seeing them for the first time which is great.