Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage goes retro 4 *COUNTDOWN FULL SHOWS info, only 2 Episodes and 3 C.Revolutions

Only 2 Countdown's again this weekend from 1983 and 1985. And COUNTDOWN REVOLUTION November 26th, 1989 which is the BATDANCE COMPETITION! I will see myself A LOT on that episode, YAY! smile emoticon How exciting .... Plus another 2 Countdown Revolutions.

Year:1983
Date:3/4/1983
Show no: 365
Summary:THIS SHOW WAS KNOWN AS A VIDEOTAPE INSERT SHOW THEREFORE THERE WERE NO STUDIO ACTS. THE SHOW WAS
HOSTED BY DAVE MASON (OF THE 'REELS') AND CO-HOSTED BY MOLLY MELDRUM (WITH BOWLER HAT) LIVE VIA SATELLITE FROM VARIOUS LOCATIONS (HOUSES OF PARL, BUCKINGHAM PALACE & TOWER BRIDGE) AROUND LONDON. CLIPS OF PAST AUSTRALIAN ROCK MUSIC AWARDS WERE SHOWN. MOLLY WITH HUMDRUM MENTIONED THAT HE HAD DONE MANY IV'S WITH VARIOUS STARS, DISCUSSED AUST ARTISTS SUCCESS IN BRITAIN AND INTRODUCED SOME CLIPS.
LOCAL ARTISTS:THE REELS 'LAST NIGHT'
ROSE TATOO 'BRANDED'
ANGELS (ADELAIDE GROUP) 'EAT CITY'
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'SPIRIT GOT LOST'
MEN AT WORK 'OVERKILL'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
BILLY IDOL 'WHITE WEDDING'
BELLE STARS 'SIGN OF THE TIMES'
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN 'THE CUTTER'
WHAM 'WHAM RAP'
EURYTHMICS 'LOVE IS A STRANGER'
PRINCE '1999'
NATIONAL TOP TEN:
CULTURE CLUB 'TIME' (NO.10)
KENNY ROGERS & SHEENA EASTON 'WE'VE GOT TONIGHT' (NO.9)
KAJAGOOGOO 'TOO SHY' (NO.8)
MARVIN GAYE 'SEXUAL HEALING' (NO.7)
LAURA BRANIGAN 'GLORIA' (NO.6)
PHIL COLLINS 'YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE' (NO.5)
BLANCMANGE 'LIVING ON THE CEILING' (NO.4)
DIRE STRAITS 'TWISTING BY THE POOL' (NO.3)
MICHAEL JACKSON 'BILLY JEAN' (NO.2)
JOE COCKER & JENNIFER WARNES 'UP WHERE WE BELONG' (NO.1)

Year:1985
Date:07/04/1985
Show no: 457
Summary:THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY MOLLY IV PHIL COLLINS RE SINGLE, STUDIO RECORDING, AUSTRALIA AND WORLD TOUR AND WORKING WITH OTHER ARTISTS.
LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCE (PRE-RECORDED):
CATS UNDER PRESSURE 'LET ME BE'
VIDEO CLIPS:
KIDS IN THE KITCHEN 'SOMETHING THAT YOU SAID'
ROCKMELONS 'TIME OUT (FOR SERIOUS FUN)'
BUCKFIELD/REYNE 'R.O.C.K. ROCK'
PHIL COLLINS 'SUSSUDIO' (EXCERPT), 'ONE MORE NIGHT'
JULIAN LENNON 'SAY YOU'RE WRONG'
KING 'LOVE & PRIDE'
STEPHEN DUFFY 'KISS ME'
NIK KERSHAW 'WIDE BOY'
TOM PETTY 'DON'T COME AROUND HERE NO MORE' (EXCERPT)
AMADEUS MONTAGE (SYMPHONY 29 - MOZART)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'I'M ON FIRE' (EXCERPT)
FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD 'WELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME'
COUNTDOWN MUSIC AND VIDEO AWARDS NOMINATIONS (EXCERPTS):
DRAGON 'SPEAK NO EVIL'
MENTAL AS ANYTHING 'YOU'RE SO STRONG'
DYNAMIC HEPNOTICS 'GOTTA BE WRONG'
MODELS 'BARBADOS'
TOP TEN:
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'BORN IN THE USA'
DON HENLEY 'BOYS OF SUMMER'
BILLY OCEAN 'LOVER BOY'
MURRAY HEAD 'ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK'
MADONNA 'MATERIAL GIRL'
DEAD OR ALIVE 'YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD)'
POINTER SISTERS 'NEUTRON DANCE'
JIM DIAMOND 'I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER'
TEARS FOR FEARS 'SHOUT'
USA FOR AFRICA 'WE ARE THE WORLD'

Re: rage goes retro 4 *COUNTDOWN FULL SHOWS info, only 2 Episodes and 3 C.Revolutions

Cool, I like that Julian Lennon song (and don't have the video). I won a VHS compilation with it on it on eBay... except they sent me the wrong one (though it has some other rare videos on it, so I didn't mind that much).

Re: rage goes retro 4 *COUNTDOWN FULL SHOWS info, only 2 Episodes and 3 C.Revolutions

I love the 1985 episode.
Hopefully someone will be able to capture "Kiss Me" by Stephen Duffy as there is a serious lack of it on youtube except one in very poor quality. If anyone does this I'd really appreciate a copy.

pissed that Countdown doesn't start til 1am. I enjoy watching the show 'live', but I think I will be recording the night.

I can't believe they have James Reyne/Lin Buckfields video. This is as rare as hens teeth. I think even rarer.

Lee
I can't believe they have James Reyne/Lin Buckfields video. This is as rare as hens teeth. I think even rarer.

It's one of the reasons that I had been requesting that episode. That will come in handy if you ever do the Let's Go 1985 compilation video.

Yes, 1985 Let's Go is a great album. ROCK Rock will be a great rare addition.
The other Reyne-related song by Cats Under Pressure is also on that compilation too.

Brad
Yes, 1985 Let's Go is a great album. ROCK Rock will be a great rare addition.
The other Reyne-related song by Cats Under Pressure is also on that compilation too.

You're right Brad, that will probably now enable Lee to make the video compilation as those two clips are impossibly rare.

photo 1985 lets go_zpsd40d0f16.jpg

Other rare clips on that album include Fun Fun Fun - Colour My Love which was an Italo Disco hit. The band was actually called Fun Fun but as there was a band here in Australia of the same name they added another 'Fun' for their Australian release. Many Italo Disco songs never had clips made for them and the only clips available are usually sourced from live/mimed European TV broadcasts.

Another rare clip is the Bowie/Pat Methany Group song This Is Not America as it is a soundtrack clip from the brilliant espionage film starring Sean Penn and Timothy Hutton - The Falcon & The Snowman, probably my favourite film of that year.

Even some of the other Australian songs on the album from Dynamic Hepnotics, Vitabeats, Uncanny X-Men and Jacko are rarer but all exist at least.

The Australian Smash Hits of April 22 1985 covers this era well as it has the songwords to both Let Me Be and R.O.C.K. Rock

photo smashhits apr 22 1985_zpstxqvhzhu.jpg
 photo smashhits apr 22 1985a_zpstzionc8u.jpg
 photo smashhits apr 22 1985b_zpszzbx91nx.jpg

Daryl Braithwaite would cover the Cats Under Pressure track on his Edge album

One thing that occurred to me last night... the last Countdown Revolution episode runs for 54 minutes according to the rage app, but weren't all of the episodes only 28 and a half minutes long? Unless it was a special/'double' episode or something (this was the Batdance competition episode Jason appears in the audience in).

Was the Batdance episode aired on a Friday night? I used to watch CR all the time, but would miss the Friday night episodes. So, I don't really recall this episode.

I think Daryl's version of 'Let Me Be' way surpasses Cats Under Pressure's version. Funny how the other brother (James) would end up doing vocals on another Simon Hussey project in 92/93 with the group 'Company of Strangers' and with Daryl coming on board also....and....on James' album 'Electric Digger Dandy' released in mid '91 one of the tracks is 'Company of Strangers'. I bought their album in '93 when it came out and I remember seeing James live for the first time in '92 and he sung 'Motor City (I Get Lost)' as part of the set list and it was only just released as a single. Great stuff!

Guru, you probably saw a few years back that raged played 'This Is Not America' on one of their GP Saturday nights?

I hope 'R.O.C.K. ROCK gets played in full and without Gavin's voiceover.

Wasn't Freestyle records an Australian Crawl label?

It was great to see the original 1983 promo for 'Blue Monday' air this morning.

ohnoitisnathan
It was great to see the original 1983 promo for 'Blue Monday' air this morning.

Surprising that they didn't play the usual Top Of The Pops clip. Pleasant surprise.

Michael
Guru, you probably saw a few years back that raged played 'This Is Not America' on one of their GP Saturday nights?

I hope 'R.O.C.K. ROCK gets played in full and without Gavin's voiceover.

Wasn't Freestyle records an Australian Crawl label?

I did record the June 15 2013 broadcast of This Is Not America, which was the first time Rage had shown that since about 2000. It doesn't appear on any of David Bowie's video releases as far as I know due to the film footage.

photo bowie methany_zpsxwab8elb.jpg

Bugger! missed it. I saw on rage's facebook that you and Jason were after the original 'Blue Monday' video.

Michael
Bugger! missed it. I saw on rage's facebook that you and Jason were after the original 'Blue Monday' video.

It will be played again Thursday night 9:30-10:30 logo free

It was aired at 9:30 this morning. Aren't the Thursday night repeats the 10:30-11:30 Saturday morning slot?

I just realised we have the 'April' theme happening again this week.

Also, yourtv.com.au says that rage finishes at 7am and the playlist only goes up til 6.30am.

Michael
It was aired at 9:30 this morning. Aren't the Thursday night repeats the 10:30-11:30 Saturday morning slot?

You're absolutely right. It will be on Sunday night instead.

These are the times that Nathan had posted in another thread:

Sunday 9:30pm-2:00am: repeat of 6:00am-10:30am Saturday morning
Monday 9:30pm-10:30pm: repeat of 5:00am-6:00am Saturday morning
Tuesday 9:30pm-10:30pm: repeat of 5:00am-6:00am Sunday morning
Wednesday 9:30pm-10:30pm: repeat of 6:00am-7:00am Sunday morning
Thursday 9:30pm-10:30pm: repeat of 10:30am-11:30am Saturday morning

Yep, 'Blue Monday' will be repeated Sunday night (technically Monday morning), around (or just before) 1:00am.

The original TOTP performance was actually live vocal and music (I've got a copy of it form a US promo 'reel')... well, as 'live' as programmed synthesisers can be... hence why Hooky's drumming doesn't quite match the studio recording that rage have overdubbed onto it. 'Barney's chewing gum as he sings, too

Really enjoyed the April 1985 episode, though it was disapponting that ROCK Rock was an excerpt and not the full clip. Would have liked a full version of that and Dynamic Hepnotics.

Does anyone else dread the Rage date subtitles appearing over a rare clip you want "clean"? At least it didn't appear over Julian Lennon, Stephen Duffy or Cats Under Pressure.

Quality-wise, there were a few odd choices in the episode. That Rockmelons song was light years away from the quality of their hits a few years later. Who was that female singer?

I actually enjoyed the 1985 edition of Antenna too. What timeslot was that originally aited in? I was unaware that it existed at the time, if I knew i definately would have taped the music videos off it.

Couldn't keep watching the Countdown Revolution Batdance special, despite the presence of Kylie and Collette. What a strange concept, and dated very quickly. Was Batdancing EVER a thing?

Brad
Does anyone else dread the Rage date subtitles appearing over a rare clip you want "clean"? At least it didn't appear over Julian Lennon, Stephen Duffy or Cats Under Pressure.

Yes I don't like when the dates over the clip thing happens either, but what can you do. It's rare that I rely on a rage retro show for a music video though, unless it's the *only* place I can find it.

They got the year wrong for the first (100th) episode of Countdown Revolution - it should've been 1989, not 1990 (I think it was correct on the rage playlist though). That was a bit annoying.

As for Batdancing, yes that was a strange concept to base a show around, and even more bizarre for the ABC with its usual 'no commercial endorsements/product placement' stance.

Yeah, but don't forget the dance competitions during the Countdown years of 'Saturday Night Fever', 'Xanadu' & 'Flashdance'.

Brad
Really enjoyed the April 1985 episode, though it was disapponting that ROCK Rock was an excerpt and not the full clip. Would have liked a full version of that and Dynamic Hepnotics.

Quality-wise, there were a few odd choices in the episode. That Rockmelons song was light years away from the quality of their hits a few years later. Who was that female singer?

I actually enjoyed the 1985 edition of Antenna too. What timeslot was that originally aited in? I was unaware that it existed at the time, if I knew i definately would have taped the music videos off it.

Couldn't keep watching the Countdown Revolution Batdance special, despite the presence of Kylie and Collette. What a strange concept, and dated very quickly. Was Batdancing EVER a thing?

I think The Rockmelons singer was Sandi Chick, I think she was one of the singers in the Scribble music video 'Adaptability'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH6EdwZf97c

Thanks Brett for the info on Sandi Chick

Guru Bob confirmed it a few years ago when I raised the Q about the female singer of The Rockmelons. Yes, that is her in the Scribble video 'Adaptability'.