Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Retro Week 4 - The Reels?

Gary
It's a quirky & interesting song but wouldn't be my #1. Perhaps "Great Southern Land"

What 5th Dimension song did they cover?

"(Last Night) I Didnt get to Sleep At All" Gary. Makes me actually like the original!!

I forgot about Bad Moon Rising, somewhat different to the CCR version. Dont mind it, but yes the video clip was terrible.

With the tone of this thread, I suppose to me liking the reels would be akin to some sort of confession, but their music (1980 to 1987) was right in the path of my childhood.

Like Wham, Pseudo Echo, Laura Branigan, Donna Summer, Culture Club, Australian Crawl, Wa Wa Nee, Icehouse, Bucks FIzz (I do have all eight of their albums, ha um), and so forth, they were one of the groups that were to me a major influence.

So yeah, some may cringe, but I actually love "Love will find a way", "After the news", "according to my heart", "shout and deliver", "this guy's in love with you", and "bad moon rising", and just cannot go past their rather bizarre version of "love grows where my rosemary goes".

But having said that, and from the point of being a reels fan, frankly I've seen enough reels on rage from the last 5 years - please rage give them a rest.

Mark from 2PR FM
With the tone of this thread, I suppose to me liking the reels would be akin to some sort of confession, but their music (1980 to 1987) was right in the path of my childhood.

Like Wham, Pseudo Echo, Laura Branigan, Donna Summer, Culture Club, Australian Crawl, Wa Wa Nee, Icehouse, Bucks FIzz (I do have all eight of their albums, ha um), and so forth, they were one of the groups that were to me a major influence.

So yeah, some may cringe, but I actually love "Love will find a way", "After the news", "according to my heart", "shout and deliver", "this guy's in love with you", and "bad moon rising", and just cannot go past their rather bizarre version of "love grows where my rosemary goes".

But having said that, and from the point of being a reels fan, frankly I've seen enough reels on rage from the last 5 years - please rage give them a rest.

I don't think it's a matter of people not liking/slagging off The Reels as much as it is us not wanting rage to repeat that concert AGAIN, or repeat an episode of Countdown that has already been re-aired, which could well happen given that 2 repeats have already been aired this January (including Rock Arena). Plus The Reels have been featured heaps of times over the last 5 or so retro months. Given that they weren't exactly a huge band with massive influence, it's over the top.

Brett (2)

"(Last Night) I Didnt get to Sleep At All" Gary. Makes me actually like the original!!

I forgot about Bad Moon Rising, somewhat different to the CCR version. Dont mind it, but yes the video clip was terrible.

Thought they might have covered Aquarius - now that would be interesting. Their cover of Bad Moon Rising is not too bad.

Very happy that they are showing the April 3 1983 episode of Countdown as I had fears of a repeat of something that had already been shown. It has both my favourite Men At Work track (Overkill) and Eurythmics track (Love Is A Stranger).

Overall not a standout episode for 1983 but to see any unrepeated Countdowns is a fantastic bonus.

They will now have to dig deep in the vaults to find something else by the Reels for future Retros.

Guru Bob

They will now have to dig deep in the vaults to find something else by the Reels for future Retros.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

No more f u c k i n g Reels during Countdown month

Thank you