Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Countdown 40th Anniversary Special, Part 2

Yes,so enjoyed this.
As Jason said, it was almost like times of old, sitting in front of the telly watching Countdown on a Sunday night again.

Such a shame there was only 2 eps - with so much material and so great many memories, they could have easily stretched it to 4 or 5 eps.
Of course they were unable to squeeze everything into the short time they had.
Would have been good also if they could have interviewed more Countdown audience members/fans/performers at the time about their memories of the show.

Even though I like "50 Years" ,Bwian is most certainly a bogan. I remember him making fun of the "Vienna" video on Spicks & Specks...

That was a rare treat to see Kate dancing in the studio as an audience member. I had no idea. Yes, they should have shown some I'm Talking or even a snippet of Kate hosting the first episode of 1985, which still hasn't been shown on rage yet, considering they have unearthed all the first shows of each year except this one. We should all get behind this one on facebook and give this reason for why they should play it.

I thought Molly's interview with Kim Wilde was definitely going to get a look in when Julia was talking about how sometimes Molly made no sense with his interview questions.

I loved the 2 part special overall and found it very entertaining. Really enjoyed the interview snippets with Simon Le Bon and Adam Ant - very insightful and interesting.

It would have been nice had it been a 5 part special though - in the style of ''Long Way to the Top' and 'Love is in the Air' docos from a decade ago. It really needed more episodes - they could have interviewed more of the audience members, the crew and the dancers, etc.

But at least the ABC seemed to go all out to celebrate Molly and Countdown unlike in 2004 when the 30th anniversary was virtually ignored - I'm glad the show has been getting the respect and place in history it deserves.

I honestly don't know one Uncanny X-men track. I've seen a few on rage during retro month, but they never sink in. I wasn't really into music in a big way until '87, so missed them. Though I still knew most top 20 hits/songs played on radio often before then, but the Uncanny X-men stuff still passed me by.

50 Years is a classic Australian song. I think Molly produced it too.

Um...Red Symonds produced it. Ooops my bad

ohnoitisnathan
I honestly don't know one Uncanny X-men track. I've seen a few on rage during retro month, but they never sink in. I wasn't really into music in a big way until '87, so missed them. Though I still knew most top 20 hits/songs played on radio often before then, but the Uncanny X-men stuff still passed me by.

50 Years was a great song and knocked We Are The World off No1 in Melbourne where it had been for about 2 months. That clip is being shown on Saturday morning. The Party and Still Waiting were other good tracks off their Cos Life Hurts LP.

Their 1986 album also had some great tracks with Don't Wake Me and I Am. I guess they fizzled out by the time you started following music in 1987 but I guess even before then they were an acquired taste - people either liked or disliked them. I always enjoyed Brian's hosting and general banter and thought he was always entertaining, similar to Ignatius Jones in that he wasn't afraid to speak his mind either.

photo uncannyxmenchart_zps10286e8f.jpg

I saw Uncanny X men with school mate back in 1985/86 at the AIS in Canberra.

I think i also saw them at Canberra Fair amusement park in 1987 too.

My sister was actually a bigger fan, but the X-men attracted lovely young women to their concerts back then