Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Countdown 2 Part Special on the ABC in November

My local Tv Guide mentions boy George, Prince Charles and Kylie Take part in the special on Sunday 16th November.

Cheers,
Adam W

On 27th November 8:30pm on Music Max on Foxtel there is a special called 'The Molly Meldrum Story' http://www.maxtv.com.au/other/the-molly-meldrum-story.aspx

Did I see footage of Sherbet that's from a deleted/lost episode from 75/76?

I don't think I have seen there performance of 'Silvery Moon'in any of the RAGE repeats since 1993.

Stephen, the Sherbet performance is from the very FIRST Countdown episode from November, 1974! They found footage of that performance!!!!

The Sherbet Silvery Moon footage from Episode No. 1 is not a recent discovery (despite what was hinted on the documentary), the existence of the clip has been known about for many years. Dont think it has been screened on Rage (possibly) but it is on the official Sherbet DVD. The performance of Skyhooks "Living In The 70s" is also from the first show. What does also exist is the Sherbet intro from DJ host Grant Goldman in which he calls the track "Silver Moon"!!

Nice to see the Meatloaf intro to the Angels, that episode is another wiped one FROM 1978 and there is more segments from this show that have never been seen.

One Countdown studio performance clip which has NEVER been seen in full, of which a portion was spotted towards the end of the documentary was Mark Holden "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again". This needs to be requested to show in full on Rage for sure. This is another from those segment tapes.

The recollections of the segments of Prince Charles and also Iggy Pop were very well done, even though both have been done to death over the years. They were two of the shows more memorable moments, along with the "tired and emotional" Molly on the 100th show.

One thing I hadnt noticed before on the Iggy Pop performance was the startled look on the very young female audience, I just spotted the very young girl with what I assumed was her mother standing nearby while Iggy was prancing around and how truly terrified she was. Priceless!!

So enjoyed this last night - a real trip down memory lane.
Sad though that so many of the Countdown regulars back then are no longer with us - Bon Scott, Chriisie Amphlett, Shirl, Marc Hunter,Ted Mulry, Christie Allen, Harvey James from Sherbet, Michael Hutchence,Edith Bliss, Daryl Cotton....the list goes on and on.

I enjoyed the first part of the special and overall it was quite entertaining. Although I know only around 45 or so shows from the 1970's still exist (plus items from the segment tapes) I was somewhat surprised how little these shows were utilised. It would have been nice had they focussed also on the dancers who were on it - even on the 70's episodes remaining there are quite a few examples of the dancers performing to various tracks (such as the ones dancing to Donna Summer's 'Hot Stuff' in the July 79 ep.

It would also been great had they also interviewed some more of the audience members -get more of their experiences, etc. I think 2 parts covering Countdown is a little short to truly do it justice - it needs to be 5 episodes like the Love is in the Air/Long Way to the Top docos are.

But having said all that, it was generally quite entertaining and at least the ABC are giving Countdown the attention it deserves. Hopefully this will lead to a huge run of unaired episodes in January on Rage - here's hoping!

There should be plenty of episodes being aired on Rage right now instead of all the drivel they program week after week. Inexcusable for the 40th anniversary of such a landmark show. Nothing on the Rage Facebook page either, just a collection of idiotic morons arguing over insignificant crap and using plenty of inappropriate language as well, something that was frowned upon in the old guestbook days.

As the FB page has been hijacked by idiots I think we need some other forum to request specific episodes on Rage. FB is not the way.

They could, nay should, endeavour to emulate what they did with Doctor Who when it turned 40 back in '03. That is a beginning to then end run of programmes that is the full surviving run of every episode of Countdown, say once a night or twice weekly until done. The weeks playlist can be viewed again on say ABC2 or ABC3 on the weekends.

Brett (2)
There should be plenty of episodes being aired on Rage right now instead of all the drivel they program week after week. Inexcusable for the 40th anniversary of such a landmark show. Nothing on the Rage Facebook page either, just a collection of idiotic morons arguing over insignificant crap and using plenty of inappropriate language as well, something that was frowned upon in the old guestbook days.

As the FB page has been hijacked by idiots I think we need some other forum to request specific episodes on Rage. FB is not the way.

The comments on the Facebook page are such a joke, it's almost parody. Who on earth thought it would be a better way for viewers to communicate with rage than the website forum?

I shudder to think at who the primary demographic of the people posting on the Facebook page is. Surely it's mostly teens... but then it can't be, because there seems to be so many viewers who loved Recovery. How sad that (probably mid) 20-something viewers are posting such childish drivel?

Countdown Part 1 & 2 will be repeated on the ABC (not ABC2) 31st December and 1 January @ 7.30pm.