Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rage vault special 30th August 2014

Good to see the old King Crimson rage theme again.Also enjoyed seeing F.A.B. again. Haven't seen it on TV since 1985 on Top 40 Video in Adelaide where it was a moderate hit.

Jason, you crack me up. But it's good to see someone so excited with the playlist and obviously you stayed up all night to watch it. A lot of these songs are unfamiliar to me, so it will be good to give them a go and discover a lot more music of past years.

I was excited to see the video for 'Numero Uno' by Starlight again. I literally haven't watched that video since it was in the charts early 1990 on rage. Ahhh the memories and it was a track off the compilation 'Hits Of 1990 Vol. 2'.

I noticed rage playing one of their old theme songs. Wow, could have sworn I was watching rage back in 1988.

So how many clips were ripped from Countdown? So far, from what I've watched, they are: Should I Do It, I Am An Island...

Nathan, do let me (us) know what the deal is if they plan to air the last 2 hours of the special again during the week.

The Numero Uno video isn't as good as I remembered. Very low budget. It was good they played it though.

As for Hits of 1990 Volume 2, I never liked that all the tracks were linked together forward slash overlapping.

As for the King Crimson promo, rage posted on FB that it open quote was lost but literally found the reel lying around unmarked in a box. close quote

It was great to see the Edith Bliss music video of 'Heart Of Stone'. I haven't see it since Simon Townsend's Wonder World. I wonder if Rage has the music video of 'Two Single Beds' as well.

I never thought i would see Gliding by Double again. I recorded it off MTV when it was Hip Clip Of The Week and never saw it on TV again. Love all the vintage footage in it. From memory Double was pronounced Dooble

^ Nathan, yeah, I wasn't a fan of the compilations that blended the tracks together. Hit City 1987 was another one. But they're good for parties I guess, a bit like the radio.

I know I'd suggested in the past (when the forum existed) Lene Lovich's 'New Toy' and Depeche Mode's 'See You'. Who knows though whether they referred to previous lists of suggestions or just chose/found those videos themselves.

I never caught the full Depeche Mode special in the early/mid 90's, so don't know if they had/aired 'See You' back then as part of it. I assume they would have if it was (then) in their library.

Nathan, they played "Italo House Mix" on rage tonight!

Yes, I caught that! I really wasn't expecting them to, after last night they re-aired an hour (from 12am Saturday) from the new releases show, and then tonight starting from just after 3am Sunday morning. I recorded it anyway, hoping some small miracle would happen, and it did As soon as they started skipping videos from Sunday morning, I thought there was a chance. It may have helped that I suggested on FB that they air this clip during the week and someone else replied that they also wanted to see it.

Now all we need them to do is air the Tracey Ullman video without the hideous PG logo over the start of it... They re-air that hour tomorrow night on ABC3.

Jason 'The Moderator'
I bow down to you rage, you made my night!!!!

If I recall correctly, you have been known once or twice to spray expletive-ridden tirades in the direction of the rage programmers for their general ineptitude, so does this mean that all is forgiven?

Why did rage swap the clips around when they replayed the 10.30-11.30 Saturday morning program tonight? Is this the norm when they do the repeats on ABC3 weeknights? Very confusing as I only wanted the first half hour and set the timer for it, so ended up miising out on some of the clips I wanted and got ones that I didn't.

What clips were you after? I've got them all now, after catching the second Underground Lovers video in the right aspect ratio from tonight's show.

o m g I spent ages trying to get the last post through the ridiculous s p a m filter, trying changing different words/phrasing etc. But what was stopping it in the end was the word M i c h a e l, believe it or not!

Maybe you can't mention the name of the person posting directly above you?

Here's the rest of what I wanted to post (I cut this part out, thinking maybe the brackets or / symbol was setting the spam filter off):

Yes, I too found it odd that they played the same videos, but in a different order. Though it was similar last night when they didn't play a direct segment from Saturday night's playlist and skipped over several videos, but of course I didn't mind at all since they added in the Rococo video.

I don't religiously follow the ABC3 repeats, I only record them when I got something in the wrong aspect ratio, or if I got a glitch on my weekend recording.

I recorded all of tonight's repeat just to check that some minor glitches (single frame artifacts) weren't signal faults/interference at my end - indeed, they weren't.

Nathan, I was just after the first 35 minutes. But not to worry, no doubt they'll resurface again in the coming months. This is the first time that I have checked out weekday repeats of rage, I don't think I'll be doing it again and I'll just make sure I'm sorted on the weekend. Although, I might check them out again if I got the video ratio wrong or they don't play a video from their playlist.

Most 80s videos are 4.3 so it's always good without a hideous logo BUT Reflex with praying to The Beat wasn't 4.3 or 16.9, it was kind of in between so I had to correct it from my IQ copy... And Loose Ends 'Hanging On A String" was a 16.9 job ... So on BOTH Reflex and Loose Ends I had to have that ABC logo

^ Yes I wish rage would stop artificially enlarging the letterboxed videos to full 16:9. The worst though (or good if you're recording in 4:3) is when they air an old letterboxed video in its original aspect ratio randomly, as occasionally happens (e.g. with LA Style's 'James Brown Is Dead' and Big Fun's 'Can't Shake the Feeling')... so you can sit up waiting to change aspect ratios, and then when it airs, find out you did it for nothing . Luckily I caught both videos in the 'right' ratio anyway, but it (very) occasionally happens. I too don't like those 'in between' 4:3 and 16:9 videos that you can't get in the right ratio no matter what you try.

One video that always come to mind is 'Vienna'.

I'm pretty certain from memory that rage air this video in 16:9... which is just wrong. I've got 'Vienna' from 2 different non-rage sources, and in both, during the second verse it switches from letterboxed fullscreen to full fullscreen (picture filling the full 4:3 area, if that makes sense), right up until the last chorus section begins. So when rage air it in widescreen, they're actually chopping some of the picture for half of the song.