Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rage - July 8 1989

I loved how random Rage was in the early days. In Adelaide there was a local show also called Night Shift hosted by David Day and there was Simulrock hosted by Andrew Peters that were on Friday and Saturday nights. Not sure if they were still going by the time Rage and MTV started though. BTW the first guest programmer was Andrew Denton in January 1990. The first one I remember seeing was Maynard F# Crabbes in March 1990.

I was vaguely aware in the late 80's that Rage had artist specials sometimes on Saturday nights, but at that stage I was only really interested in the top 50.

I've got a snippet of a rage ad for a forthcoming Madonna special, around the time of 'Express Yourself', on tape still. The add actually shows segments of her videos with some running text along the bottom of the screen. It would have aired during the top 50, probably between numbers 6 and 5.

The first Saturday night artist special I watched though was the Kylie Minogue/Jason Donovan/Dannii Minogue special in late November 1991. I was only aware of it because the TV guide (probably TV week) listed it next to Saturday night's program. I even bought a special $4 VHS tape in K-Mart that afternoon to record it, ha ha.

I then caught most of the Pet Shop Boys special a few weeks later.

The first guest programmer segment I recorded I think was Kylie Minogue guest programming in 1992, though I had taped over it by the next week.

It wasn't really until mid 1999, when I was over both the top 50 AND most of the new releases, that I switched my focus to Saturday night's programming, to catch retro videos.

Guru Bob
Christina

Yes,very cool. Those were the days.
Watching Rage and listening to 3RRR in the late 80s/early 90s introduced me to so many great "alternative" bands that I otherwise would not have known about.

3RRR... I didn't realise you were a Melbourne girl originally. I was a RRR subscriber for a while in the 90's. It seemed to be run by uni students out at Fitzroy somewhere - my brother was involved with a science show that they had.

Nah Bob, not a Melbourne girl originally, but I lived down there for a while in the late 80s/early 90s.

RRR was THe best radio station back then with so many unique hosts playing some brilliant local underground music.
My two faves were probably Cat's 'Mousetrap' on a Sunday arvo, featuring lots of obscure and alternative Aus, N/Z and international bands and Bohdan, an out of control pommy ex punk rocker with a really deep voice, on Friday nights, who played a selection of heavier stuff from bands such as The Cosmic Psychos and The Hard-ons.

Yes, think it was run by current and ex Uni students who often bought in their own private record collections to play.THey weren't paid.
Like you, a couple of my friends were subscribers and also volunteers who helped out behind the scenes at the station on the weekends.
3PBS was also another great station - used to listen to a show on there called 'Counting Sheep' with a Kiwi host, featuring a whole range of obscure NZ bands, late on Sunday nights.

Christina
Another great early Rage playlist,Guru.
I probably watched that one - Rage used to play a lot of great "underground" NZ bands/artists back then, especially those on the Flying Nun label like the Bats, Snapper,The Chills, Straitjacket fits, Bailterspace, The JPS Experience, Look Blue Go Purple, The Clean etc.
Still have a soft spot for the Dunedin sound today, especially The Bats.

The Lime Spider's Weirdo Libido and Echo and The Bunnyman's The Cutter were amongst the very first clips shown on Rage if I remember rightly.

Guru Bob
[I probably appreciate that music much more now than in the day. I would just watch all the obscure clips but never seemed to remember the band/song names. It wasn't until 1994 when I saw the Countdown repeats that I first though of recording that sort of thing but by then that particular sound had moved on and Rage had stopped playing them.

The early Rage days are still my very favourite period.
Maybe its just me but it seemed to have an atmosphere of vitality and excitement back then that is somewhat lacking today...

ohnoitisnathan
I was vaguely aware in the late 80's that Rage had artist specials sometimes on Saturday nights, but at that stage I was only really interested in the top 50.

Those late 80s/early 90s specials were brilliant, esp the ones featuring female singers like Sinead O'Connor, Blondie, The Pretenders etc.

I think Guest Programming was introduced around 1990.

What a GREAT Playlist!!!!!!!! BRILLIANT!!!!!!! Xymox - Muscoviet Mosquito is HEAVENLY, YAY for Visage!!!

2 of the earliest clips I recorded from rage in late 1987 were Berlin's Sex I'm A ..... and Sylvester's Rock The Box

@ Nathan,

Kylie Minogue GP in 1992? Wow, that would have been at the height of her backlash in Australia. I'm surprised for an alternative music show like rage, they got her on to program.

One of my uncles had taped Bill Collins' Golden Years Of Hollywood screening of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? starring Bette Davis and Joan Crawford from ATV-10 Melbourne which was featured in this 1988 TV Week program line-up in the same year and I didn't saw it until 1995 when it still on one of VHS video tapes that he taped and kept until he send this and other VHS video tapes which have old movies from Melbourne television channels to my family which it is me, my sister, my mum and my dad.
Maybe Rod Stewart's song, Baby Jane should be on the soundtrack of this Bette Davis and Joan Crawford movie.

Finally found my 1994 tape...

playlist Sunday 24/7/1994 (The Sugarcubes/Bjork special, followed by [mostly] female artists), from the start of the program:

THE SUGARCUBES Cold Sweat
THE SUGARCUBES Deus
THE SUGARCUBES Birthday
THE SUGARCUBES Regina
THE SUGARCUBES Planet
THE SUGARCUBES Hit
THE SUGARCUBES Walkabout
808 STATE featuring BJORK Ooops
BJORK Human Behaviour
BJORK Venus As a Boy
BJORK Play Dead
BJORK Big Time Sensuality
BJORK Violently Happy
SOUL II SOUL Get a Life
NENEH CHERRY Buffalo Stance
MASSIVE ATTACK Unfinished Sympathy
SHARA NELSON Uptight
DEEE-LITE Groove Is In the Heart
MADONNA Deeper and Deeper
JANET JACKSON Throb
HOLE Miss World
LUSH Hypocrite
SONIC YOUTH Bull In the Heather
SISTERS UNDERGROUND In the Neighbourhood
QUEEN LATIFAH Fly Girl
GALLIANO Long Time Gone
CURTIS MAYFIELD & THE REPERCUSSIONS Let's Do It
ME'SHELL NDEGE'OCELLO If That's Your Boyfriend
SALT 'N' PEPA Let's Talk About Sex
MONIE LOVE It's a Shame (My Sister)
M PEOPLE Moving On Up
CARLEEN ANDERSON Nervous Breakdown
THE BRAND NEW HEAVIES Back To Love
YOUSSOU N'DOUR & NENEH CHERRY 7 Seconds
CHRISTINE ANU with PAUL KELLY Last Train
3 THE HARD WAY Many Rivers
UTE Situations Vacant
CURVE Fait Accompli
DEBORAH HARRY Strike Me Pink
JENNY MORRIS Only We Can Hear (remix)
SILVERFISH D@mn Fine Woman
THE BREEDERS Cannonball
TOM TOM CLUB Don't Say No
THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH Everybody's Talking
CONCRETE BLONDE Happy Birthday
CLOUDS Cloud Factory
MAGIC DIRT Readhead
HOLOCENE Flying
THE FALLING JOYS Fiesta
CLEOPATRA WONG Thank You
MAROODY BARAMBA Lullaby
SINGLE GUN THEORY From a Million Miles
MELANIE OXLEY & CLARIS ABRAHAMS Breathe
MOTHER EARTH Jessie
TRACY CHAPMAN Bang Bang Bang

(now the top 50... my tape cuts out soon)

MADONNA I'll Remember
ROACHFORD Only To Be With You
JAMES Laid
CJ LEWIS Sweets For My Sweet
THE SCREAMING JETS Helping Hand
BJORN AGAIN Flashdance... What a Feeling
JANET JACKSON Any Time, Any Place
D:REAM Things Can Only Get Better
2 UNLIMITED The Real Thing
GIN BLOSSOMS Hey Jealousy
METALLICA One
ELECTRIC HIPPIES Greedy People
JOHN MELLENCAMP with ME'SHELL NDEGE'OCELLO Wild Night
ACE OF BASE The Sign
DOOP Doop
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS Disarm
THE SHARP Alone Like Me
ACE OF BASE Don't Turn Around
CLUBHOUSE featuring CARL Light My Fire
PRINCE The Most Beautiful Girl In the World
BLUR Girls and Boys
MARCELLA DETROIT I Believe
MELODIE MC I Wanna Dance
D:REAM U R the Best Thing
JX Son of a Gun
ELTON JOHN Can You Feel the Love Tonight
THE POOR More Wine Waiter Please
LIGHTER SHADE OF BROWN Hey DJ
EAST 17 Around the World
TAKE THAT Pray
3 THE HARD WAY Hip Hop Holiday
TAG TEAM Whoomp! (There It Is)
THE PRETENDERS I'll Stand By You
COLLECTIVE SOUL Shine
FRENTE! Lonely
FRENTE! Bizarre Love Triangle
JAM & SPOON featuring PLAVKA Right In the Night (Fall In Love With Music)
KULCHA Don't Be Shy
SOUTHEND with NIK FISH The Winner Is...
MARIAH CAREY Anytime You Need a Friend
DES'REE You Gotta Be
KULCHA Shaka Jam
SOUNDGARDEN Black Hole Sun
ETERNAL Stay
ALL 4 ONE I Swear
REEL 2 REAL featuring THE MAD STUNTMAN I Like To Move It
CRASH TEST DUMMIES Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
BIG MOUNTAIN Baby, I Love Your Way
CRYSTAL WATERS 100% Pure Love
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS Absolutely Fabulous
WET WET WET Love Is All Around

Thanks for the 1994 playlist Nathan. I have a very similar special recorded around 1996.

Hi Guru, many thanks for this. My details are still the same. I will email you to trade for something you might like. Cheers.

Thanks for the disc Guru. You always deliver as promised and in a very short time period. Cheers.