Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rage Retro week 3 blurb

They have aired all the Elton John Countdowns. According to Guru Bob's run sheet, the December 2 1979 episode was last aired in 1998. This is pre DVD and analogue meaning we can receive and back up in digital.

I'm definitely not a fan of Elton (though don't mind some of his songs when performed by other artists). Is it really necessary to have a 'tribute' to him while he's still walking this earth?

I don't think rage would be that silly to play a repeat these days? Maybe it's Countdown episodes that only feature him in small parts? Doesn't Elton get a look in every year?

I do like the Rock Arena episode (minus the Bangladesh stuff) and Glenn Shorrock hosting. Yay!

I hope this doesn't mean that the Saturday morning retro segment is an hour of Elton John clips.

Frank FM
They have aired all the Elton John Countdowns. According to Guru Bob's run sheet, the December 2 1979 episode was last aired in 1998. This is pre DVD and analogue meaning we can receive and back up in digital.

I do LOVE that 1979 Elton and Molly Countdown but I don't want repeats. Though a copy in digital would nicely replace my 90s copy. But this weekend is goign to be CRAP, Elton all night and 2 hrs cut, geeeeez

Jason 'The Moderator'

I do LOVE that 1979 Elton and Molly Countdown but I don't want repeats. Though a copy in digital would nicely replace my 90s copy. But this weekend is goign to be CRAP, Elton all night and 2 hrs cut, geeeeez

At least it starts at 11pm this Saturday, as opposed 12.30am like last Saturday, so that in some way kind of balances out the ridiculous interruption for the hockey.

I do appreciate the opportunity to upgrade episodes to digital that have previously only been shown in the vhs age...which includes most of the '70s eps. Also, there are people who weren't even born the last time some of the '70s eps were shown, so I have no problem with them gradually being repeated.

However Jase, i doubt any of the George Harrison bits on this show will get any air time whatsoever with the Beatles embargo that has been apparent on the ABC for about the last 20 or so years, unfortunatley.

Matt
However Jase, i doubt any of the George Harrison bits on this show will get any air time whatsoever with the Beatles embargo that has been apparent on the ABC for about the last 20 or so years, unfortunatley.

rage did play all The Beatles loooong parts in Humdrum on the 1987 Countdown last weekend so I see no reason why George Harrison would be cut out of Rock Arena?

Very good point, i had never even thought about that, unless they had forgotten to edit it out? Anyway, hope you are right!

Matt

But the embargo is only on Beatles stuff isn't it ? Not solo stuff. rage has shown heaps of solo stuff in the years since the Beatles embargo was put in place, so I'd be pretty surprised if the George Harrison stuff is edited out.

BTW - I was p i s s e d that Ferry Aid's 'Let It Be' went for only 2 minutes on the '87 Countdown.

I hope rage don't repeat the Molly and Elton episode from November '78. It was so boring/unforgettable. Jason, the Elton one from late '79 is a def. a goodin'.

I hope they play Blow Away By George. I love got My Mind Set On You.

Michael
BTW - I was p i s s e d that Ferry Aid's 'Let It Be' went for only 2 minutes on the '87 Countdown.

I hope rage don't repeat the Molly and Elton episode from November '78. It was so boring/unforgettable. Jason, the Elton one from late '79 is a def. a goodin'.

The one good thing about the 1979 Elton and Molly episode being repeated is that I get Judie Tzuke's actual video for Stay With me Till Dawn in better condition than I got it in the 90s, it is a FABULOUS episode, I must say. All of Elton's cap changes are fabulous... I too was ****** about Let It Be being cut off! The Nik Kershaw and Kim Wilde part is one of the highlights!!!!

I remember two or three years ago one of the early 80's episodes of C-down shown on rage only ran for 45 mins. Upon furher investigation there was a McCartney interview & clip cut out & from either that show or another, around the same time, All Those Years ago video had also been cut. Anyone remember that? And does anyone know why there was an embargo in the first place?

I recall the Bette Midler episode from 1980 went for about 45-48 minutes and an 81 episode.

There isnt any Beatles embargo, for a period of time the record company was asking too much for the airing of the clips so all of the material owned by Apple was being edited out of shows, that situation has now resolved itself it would appear. There are clips being played now, both with the group and solo.

One thing we must all note is that there are extensive music and other clearances that have to be arranged in order to screen any of these old Countdown episodes - the ABC, the archives section and Rage all do a great job to get that happening every January. As much as we all would like to see the screenings expanded to other ABC digital channels, given the costs involved it is unlikely to happen. The ABC cannot just dig these episodes out and play them, it is a lot more complicated than that.

Hi Brett(2)or Guru Bob,

Just questioning regarding the playlist on Saturday morning from 11am.

There are 3 songs by The Groove who were an Australian Northern Soul group from the late 1960s.

Would you know anything about the show they appeared on 'For Swingers Only'.

The first time I knew such footage even existed Dave - quite amazing. This will be a viewing highlight. There is very little known footage of The Groove in existence. Dont know anything about "For Swingers Only" either.

Brett (2)
The first time I knew such footage even existed Dave - quite amazing. This will be a viewing highlight. There is very little known footage of The Groove in existence. Dont know anything about "For Swingers Only" either.

There you go.

Just finished watching the footage and looks like it was released between 1967-68. Obviously transferred to kine-scope film from the 2" quad video masters like most shows were during the period just to save money on purchasing more video tapes.

This is the first time I've seen live footage of this Group unless there's others appearing on 'Uptight','Bandstand',etc. on YouTube.

There could be more lost footage from the 60s which haven't yet been rediscovered in the ABC archives. Who knows.
Also, there is a guy named 'Farkle Berry' on YouTube who has uploaded clips from both GTK & Hitscene. It's worth checking out.

Thanks Dave - quite an amazing recovery. Probably the only person who may know the background to that "For Swingers Only" would be John Williams at ABC archives who helps program the January shows. I am thrilled they dug this out to play on Rage, tremendous thanks to whoever organised that.

Only 2 other pieces of Groove footage exist, "You Are the One I Love" ex Uptight, and "Relax Me" from a colour pop music film called "Popcorn" as produced by Peter Clifton.