Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kim Wilde hosting Rage

Really great news.
A shame they didn't also get Martha but am really looking forward to seeing Kim hosting.

Michael, I caught 'Million Miles Away' on Rage too, around November '92.

What the hell? I just checked out her singles discography on Wikipedia and her Aus chart placings are wrong. Nathan, I think you need to do your stuff!

Michael
What the hell? I just checked out her singles discography on Wikipedia and her Aus chart placings are wrong. Nathan, I think you need to do your stuff!

Fixed.

I noticed the other day, actually, that someone had listed an Aus chart placing for 'The Second Time'.

Clearly whoever added those entries is confusing their chart fantasies with reality. Unfortunately 'The Second Time', the 'Close' singles after 'You Came', and the 'Love Moves' singles didn't even dent the top 100 in Oz.

Lawks, I see the same vandal has had fun with their imaginary Oz album chart positions too. #1 for 'The Very Best of Kim Wilde' in Oz in 2001?!

Did one of her tour promoters edit these chart peaks to make her feel better about touring here?

edit - now fixed the AUS albums chart peaks too. I think they may have vandalised a couple of the UK album chart peaks as well... will check soon.

Cheers. The first thing I noticed was that 'Never Trust A Stranger' went to No.3. I wish! Actually a few of the singles from 'Close' should have charted in the Top 40 at least. Maybe the tour promoter did 'fix' it. . Occasionally if I'm checking out other artist discographies I fix them up, if I know it's wrong and 100% know the chart placing on the ARIA charts.

Here are a few more reliable sources than Wikipedia.

Australian chart positions as per the Kent Report from the book Australian Chart Book 1970-1992 compiled by David Kent:
 photo kimwildeauscharts_zpsfa6ecb36.jpg

UK chart positions as per Guinness World Records British Hit Singles and Albums Book Issue 17 2003:
 photo kimwildeukcharts_zpsfd287572.jpg

Interesting that Teases And Dares was NOT released here which is just RIDICULOUS!

Guru Bob
Here are a few more reliable sources than Wikipedia.

Australian chart positions as per the Kent Report from the book Australian Chart Book 1970-1992 compiled by David Kent:
 photo kimwildeauscharts_zpsfa6ecb36.jpg

I referenced that in the wikipedia article, Guru... Though from "Hey Mister Heartache" onwards, those are AMR, rather than ARIA chart peaks (this was when ARIA split and started compiling their own chart). Other than "Hey Mister Heartache" (because ARIA haven't released positions 51-100 between June 1988 and Dec 1989 inclusive), the other AUS peaks I've put on the wikipedia page from then onwards are ARIA ones. 'It's Here' missed the ARIA top 100, unfortunately.

But, just the other day I spotted an error in that David Kent chart book. It lists Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love a Bad Name' as peaking at #23, when it was actually #32! (and I have the printed weekly charts from then to prove it). So as always, don't believe everything you read

Michael
Cheers. The first thing I noticed was that 'Never Trust A Stranger' went to No.3. I wish! Actually a few of the singles from 'Close' should have charted in the Top 40 at least. Maybe the tour promoter did 'fix' it. . Occasionally if I'm checking out other artist discographies I fix them up, if I know it's wrong and 100% know the chart placing on the ARIA charts.

'You Came' should have charted higher than it did, too. She performed it on 'The Factory', and I remember seeing the 'Never Trust a Stranger' video on The Factory (where I heard/saw it for the first time), and 'Four Letter Word' on Video Hits.

That wikipedia vandal hasn't limited him/herself to the AUS chart peaks on that page; however. A quick look through the edit history reveals they've also tampered with some entries on other country's charts. As expected, they're not registered under a username, but their IP address (which varies, although has similarities) is listed. Expect them to re-vandalise it at some point in future.

ohnoitisnathan

But, just the other day I spotted an error in that David Kent chart book. It lists Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love a Bad Name' as peaking at #23, when it was actually #32! (and I have the printed weekly charts from then to prove it). So as always, don't believe everything you read

I just checked the Kent book and you are right, it does show 23 (the right numbers in the wrong order so it may have been a book layout error).

Checked my ARIA charts and it did peak at No32 for 2 weeks - March 15 and 22 1987.
 photo aria15-3-1987_zpsb34be32d.jpg

photo aria22-3-1987_zpsee1651bc.jpg

From now on I will only trust information if approved by Nathan.

Guru Bob
From now on I will only trust information if approved by Nathan.

Guru, I am prone to making human-like mistakes too, occasionally.

I only discovered the Bon Jovi error after noticing that it entered the ARIA top 50 some months later than I expected it would have (I remember it being on my sister's 'Summer '87' cassette she bought in December '86). Given that the song is well-known, and I knew it at the time (which was before I became a chart freak), I naturally assumed it would have been a hit some time in late '86. I recently had access to some of the printed charts from that period, and was surprised to see that it didn't debut in the top 50 until around March '87... then noticed that it peaked at #32, which to me seemed quite low for such a well-known song. So I checked with the David Kent chart book, and lo and behold, I spotted the error.

Do you have a complete set of printed ARIA charts from this period? I only have scattered ones, but recently came across a stack that someone was selling on eBay (and posted photos of both sides of it), and frantically saved them all... but your scans are clearer.

ohnoitisnathan
Guru, I am prone to making human-like mistakes too, occasionally.

For the period 1987-92 I consider you to be the absolute master. The details you have trotted out over the years have been nothing short of amazing. If there were mistakes (I didn't notice any) then I wouldn't be brave enough to mention them.

ohnoitisnathan
I only discovered the Bon Jovi error after noticing that it entered the ARIA top 50 some months later than I expected it would have (I remember it being on my sister's 'Summer '87' cassette she bought in December '86). Given that the song is well-known, and I knew it at the time (which was before I became a chart freak), I naturally assumed it would have been a hit some time in late '86. I recently had access to some of the printed charts from that period, and was surprised to see that it didn't debut in the top 50 until around March '87... then noticed that it peaked at #32, which to me seemed quite low for such a well-known song. So I checked with the David Kent chart book, and lo and behold, I spotted the error.

That was a bit odd as Bon Jovi reached the Top 100 in Oct 1986 but took nearly 5 months to reach the Top 50. But they were an unknown band at the time. 12 months later they were huge.

ohnoitisnathan
Do you have a complete set of printed ARIA charts from this period? I only have scattered ones, but recently came across a stack that someone was selling on eBay (and posted photos of both sides of it), and frantically saved them all... but your scans are clearer.

I have actually just bought a lot of them off that seller on ebay from Aug 1986-Jan 1988 - which means I have got about 58 of 72 charts from that period. They are in pristine condition and only $2 each. I am wondering whether I should get the 1988 charts as well.

I had previously bought a lot of EON FM charts and Countdown charts off the same seller and found a couple of 3XY charts that I needed to complete my 1979-1988 collection of those. I know computer files are often an easier reference source to use but I love the original hard copies of the time.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Interesting that Teases And Dares was NOT released here which is just RIDICULOUS!

It was, it just didn't make the Top 100, which is even more ridiculous.

I must admit I was tempted to buy some of those eBay charts... but TBH I need the space more than the original charts, and after I'd scanned them, they would have been relegated to becoming silverfish food.

This blog - http://chartbeat.blogspot.com.au/ - also has good resolution scans of the 1988 singles charts (though only a handful of album charts are posted), and I've saved them all... kind of negating the need to own the original charts, though there's a handful that he's highlighted from earlier in the year.

I've got a stack of printed ARIA charts from '92 to '98 (a complete set from around August '92), but they just sit in a drawer.

I find the printed ARIA charts from mid 1988-Dec 1989 particularly interesting, due to the 'breakers' (the 5 singles outside the top 50 which haven't yet cracked it in most cases - listed in order of their chart position) listed at the bottom of the chart - ARIA have never released their chart positions 51-100 from this era (they diverged from the AMR chart from the 26th Jun 1988 onwards). Occasionally there are large discrepancies between the AMR and ARIA chart peaks, e.g. an Underworld single is listed as a breaker on a 1988 chart that didn't enter the AMR top 100.

I thought it was ODD that it wasn't released here, as I didn't see it int he chart that is what I thought. How even more RIDICULOUS as it's my 2nd FAV Kim album after Select. Bloody Australia, all the good stuff didn't chart!

So 'Teases & Dares' was not released in Oz? Strange, considering it has the single 'Rage To Love' and the video was played on Countdown. I know the look on the album cover is a departure from her previous image, but in the 'Rage To Love' video and the cover of the single her image is totally different (normal) I guess.

From Australian Music Charts 1988-2010 book by one of Australian chart historians, Gavin Ryan about the ARIA singles chart:
31 October 1988 You Come No.34
14 June 1992 Love Is Holy No.29
29 August 1993 If I Can't Have You No.3
12 December 1993 In My Life No.78

That is correct Nathan in regard to the Kim Wilde Chart positions from the Australian Chart Book 1972-1992 by David Kent as I worked in radio for 10 years and that book was one of the sources that I would use. Good of you to post.

Happy Birthday Kim!

Yes, Happy Birthday for Monday And it seems rage now have LOCKED IN the date for Kim's programming which is 14th December!

That's great. I'm expecting a lot of stuff from the late 70's and early 80's, which would have been her era.

Well, what did everyone think? Kim Wilde's not the most natural presenter, a bit stilted, and the reference to the "black and white stripey T-shirt" when she played Jailhouse Rock fell flat, the version rage played is clearly not the same one she originally saw, with Elvis wearing a leather jacket.

When it came to her own clips, 7 had been played by rage in the previous 20 years, but 10 had never been played before (although Love Blonde had been played as part of a Rock Arena episode a few years ago):

Four Letter Word
Never Trust A Stranger
Hey Mister Headache
Another Step
Rage To Love
Dancing In The Dark
Love Blonde
Child Come Away
It's Here
School Girl

That still makes 16 Kim Wilde clips that have not seen the light of day, either because rage doesn't have them, or they thought 17 Kim Wilde clips was more than enough for the audience:

The Second Time
The Touch
Say You Really Want Me
You Came
Love in the Natural Way
Time
Love Is Holy
Heart Over Mind
Who Do You Think You Are
Million Miles Away
In My Life
Breakin' Away
This I Swear
Shame
Born to Be Wild
Perfect Girl

Don't forget 'You Came' 2006, or was that just a video made for YouTube?

There were definitely a few mix ups with Kim's intro's and the video that got shown. What about how she was talking about Rufus Wainwright and here's his video and then they played 'The Riddle' ???

It would have been great if rage sourced some of her performances from TOTP's. Actually, it would be great if they did this for a lot of the artists. Come to think of it they didn't play 'You Keep Me Hangin' On' Countdown performance.

Michael
Don't forget 'You Came' 2006, or was that just a video made for YouTube?

There were definitely a few mix ups with Kim's intro's and the video that got shown. What about how she was talking about Rufus Wainwright and here's his video and then they played 'The Riddle' ???

It would have been great if rage sourced some of her performances from TOTP's. Actually, it would be great if they did this for a lot of the artists. Come to think of it they didn't play 'You Keep Me Hangin' On' Countdown performance.

Yes, the Rufus and Nik mix up was terrible. As for Jailhouse Rock, that was rage's fault that they didn't play the right clip. Don't think Kim wanted to talk a lot, but she was fine on the couch. She is so sweet xxxxxx Very happy Dancing In The Dark was in FULL and AMAZING quality!!!

I've uploaded the segments of Kim speaking (recorded in 4:3) to my ohnoitisnathan36 youtube channel.

I'm sure Say You Really Want Me has been played on Rage back in the early days. I think it was an extended version too.

Is there a clip for 'Water on Glass'

Clip Magnet
Well, what did everyone think? Kim Wilde's not the most natural presenter, a bit stilted, and the reference to the "black and white stripey T-shirt" when she played Jailhouse Rock fell flat, the version rage played is clearly not the same one she originally saw, with Elvis wearing a leather jacket.

When it came to her own clips, 7 had been played by rage in the previous 20 years, but 10 had never been played before (although Love Blonde had been played as part of a Rock Arena episode a few years ago):

Four Letter Word
Never Trust A Stranger
Hey Mister Headache
Another Step
Rage To Love
Dancing In The Dark
Love Blonde
Child Come Away
It's Here
School Girl

That still makes 16 Kim Wilde clips that have not seen the light of day, either because rage doesn't have them, or they thought 17 Kim Wilde clips was more than enough for the audience:

The Second Time
The Touch
Say You Really Want Me
You Came
Love in the Natural Way
Time
Love Is Holy
Heart Over Mind
Who Do You Think You Are
Million Miles Away
In My Life
Breakin' Away
This I Swear
Shame
Born to Be Wild
Perfect Girl

Hello Clip Magnet

Are you actually looking for any of the 17 that haven't been shown by any chance?

ohnoitisnathan
I've uploaded the segments of Kim speaking (recorded in 4:3) to my ohnoitisnathan36 youtube channel.

Thanks a million Nathan. I will check it out. I often miss hearing the GP's talk cause I focus on recording the must have videos (time record them while I'm out or sleeping). Kim's chats, I really want to see. Cheers.