Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ARIA-charts & Falco

I'm pretty sure I have a clip for Body Next To Body which he did with Bridgitte Nielson somewhere on VHS.

Hello!
At the very first I like to thank you for your very nice efforts! I am from Austria and restart investigations for "my music hero" in Australia. I am collecting everything, even original (foreign) chart data out of mags, papers etc.
So I am familiar with FALCO`s success in Australia, but nevertheless thanx for your listing. But I like to pursue for the full possible answer of all my questions.
ad. 1)
Seven years ago I bought this yellow chart-book of Kent, even had a little conversation with him. It was somehow clear for me, that he took most of his investigations out of airplay. So all about this time (1983 & 1986) everything in his book is standing somehow on "shaky feeds". I told him the same you writing about manipulations etc. and: at this moment he was out of arguments and got "very quiet" for what reasons ever...
In Austria the period for FALCO`s chart periode is easy to compile and all fact for % of airplay and sales are clearly determined; year by year, decade by decade.
One thing still confuses me: "Rock Me Amadeus" reached #2 for several weeks on "3XY" in Melbourne for exampel, but nationwide there was "only a minor goal" peaking at #15". Ok, somebody could say this radio-station is i.e. "alternative" or whatever, but all in all it`s very strange seeing the big global impact of this song. In New Zealand he still reached #1...

ad 2)
I think about the same, because Australia has surely followed the ways of Great Britain in this matter.

ad 3) So I may come to the conclusion, that there was only "Countdown", and nothing more, not even a competitive programm. If it`s possible and no special effort for anyone, I would like to get some of these episodes with FALCO. Priority could be 1983, because "Der Kommissar" was surely shown.
For 1986, I am not familiar, if they showed the video-clips beyond the Top Ten. So if anyone likes to help me (even from this flashback music show "Rage") with taped shows, feel free to write me an email. I would be very, very thankful (of course I would pay for that!).

ad. 4) Here is the simple question for a "unknown foreigner" like me: Could anyone give me names of these papers printing on Monday? It doesn`t matter if from Melbourne, Sidney or wherever! Perhaps I could get original papers from that time, who knows. Or somebody is having original "Aria charts" (big posters) at home and likes to sell them. I am having only few..Also clippings about him in mags. or papers.

So nice greetings to a very beautiful country
Vienna Calling
FALCOloge

...of course "shaky feets".*g*

> Seven years ago I bought this yellow chart-book of Kent, even had a little
> conversation with him. It was somehow clear for me, that he took most of
> his investigations out of airplay.

I think that was defintely true for the charts before 1982. The printed ARIA charts (which used the Kent Report chart from April 1983-June 198 had a disclaimer at the bottom of the chart that the chart was compiled from sales data across Australia.

> So all about this time (1983 & 1986) everything in his book is standing
> somehow on "shaky feeds".

I do think that the charts fromt this time were definitely sales-based. Australian FM radio before about 1995 (at least in Melbourne) very rarely played any pop or dance music. So, for example, even Kylie Minogue was hardly touched by radio here until then! If our charts from that period were based on airplay, most of these artists would not have charted at all! The radio instead would play 'classic rock', rock, or what I refer to as 'pub rock' music.

> One thing still confuses me: "Rock Me Amadeus" reached #2 for several
> weeks on "3XY" in Melbourne for exampel, but nationwide there was "only a
> minor goal" peaking at #15". Ok, somebody could say this radio-station is
> i.e. "alternative" or whatever, but all in all it`s very strange seeing
> the big global impact of this song.

I think that in Australia, in the 1980's, songs often peaked on the state-specific charts at different times. So, for example, a single might have been in the top 10 in Victoria, but barely scraping the top 50 in Western Australia, or vice versa. This would mean that the single might not reach a high position overall on the national chart.

> 3) So I may come to the conclusion, that there was only "Countdown", and
> nothing more, not even a competitive programm.

There were many other music and music video shows from around that time (although I was too young to have watched most of them regularly), such as Rock Arena (but focused mainly on alternative music), but Countdown was the most popular/well-known.

> For 1986, I am not familiar, if they showed the video-clips beyond the Top
> Ten. So if anyone likes to help me (even from this flashback music
> show "Rage")

Countdown played many videos from outside the top 10, as did other music video shows.

> 4) Here is the simple question for a "unknown foreigner" like me: Could
> anyone give me names of these papers printing on Monday? It doesn`t matter
> if from Melbourne, Sidney or wherever! Perhaps I could get original papers
> from that time, who knows. Or somebody is having original "Aria charts"
> (big posters) at home and likes to sell them. I am having only few..Also
> clippings about him in mags. or papers.

There is a thread on this forum from earlier this year with links to some scanned ARIA charts. The full chart was not published in any newspaper that I am aware of, but the top 10 might have been.

Music programs like 'Rock around the World' on SBS and 'Music Video' channel 10 played Falco music clips in the 80's. I use to have the videos for 'Jeanny parts 1 and 2', 'Vienna Calling', 'The Sound of Musik' and 'Emotional'.

Thanx for your survey of the chart-facts and Falco in special. After all I can`t expect any old Australian newspaper so quickly having at least the Top 10! There would be of course a chance for any little gossip around the charts and or bio of artists, especially for Falco.
As I have seen on auction-sites, there could be sometimes a possibility for ARIA-chart posters, but this is rare!
Is any of you collecting or storing the old "The Countdown magazine"? Maybe there is anything about him, at least from 1983!
In the meantime I have checked the old episodes of "Countdown" and the reruns on "Rage". There should be at least 4 or 5 episodes (May till June 1983) showing the nearly full video-clip of "Der Kommissar" in their weekly run. Does anyone of you have such old videos at home? Did anyone of you copy a rerun on "Rage" by chance with this few selected old episodes?
Thank you!
nice greetings
from Vienna