Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jim Kerr in COMING UP section of rage guest programmers!!!

O M GOOOODNESS!

I just saw Jim Kerr of Simple Minds in the 'COMING UP' list to program :-)

What an absolute TREAT!!!

Re: Jim Kerr in COMING UP section of rage guest programmers!!!

Excellent! I hope he picks a lot of artists/music from the early 80's. I hope he just stays away from the 90's and '00's and not picking that type of music to be relevant and gain some cred with the younger viewers.

Well, I am pleasantly delighted by Jim's playlist!

I can't wait to watch rage this weekend, Simple Minds from the Early days up until 1984 were possibly THE best band of the period. Stunning xoxoxoxo

Yep. 'Love Song' still gives me goosebumps.

Yeah they declined around '84 - not commercially of course. "New Gold Dream" is a masterpiece.

New Gold Dream is INDEED a complete work of art, pure emotion and complete GENIUS!

Michael
Yep. 'Love Song' still gives me goosebumps.

Me too, it's a complete CLASSIC

Up On The Catwalk is my absolute favourite of theirs.

Yay! Lots of Pretenders in Jim's playlist,(naturally).

Wish rage had the videos for Waterfront and Belfast Child. BTW, did anyone notice when they played PIL, was it taken from a Rock Arena episode? going by the text on the screen, I think it was.

Michael,

If you want the videos to Waterfront and Belfast Child you can get them on the Simple Minds DVD.

After Glittering Prize last night it was like usual, instantly bored. How a stunning band could SELL OUT so majorly will always be sad.

rage could have at least played Speed Your Love To Me and Up On The Catwalk to ease into the badness of 1985 onwards!

Thank goodness Up On the Catwalk is on the DVD as rage missing it is criminal, Simple Minds final golden moment.

MAY I ADD, very ODD that rage skipped Speed Your Love To Me seeing the sample of it has been part of the closing theme on Sunday mornings on rage since 1987 till the present and even uses bits of the video!!!!

The Simple Minds DVD is fabulous for lots of Early Minds bits, I bought it on release in 2003 with all the extra Early British TV Performances from 1979/1981 and the 1982 New Gold Dream concert and videos

What version of the 'Love Song' clip did they play? I was wondering if they played the 'VideoDisc' version. If anyone ever saw that version, they will remember that the Videodisc people did some mirror like effect on the clip.

So Rage didn't show any "Sparkle In The Rain" era clips? To me that's their last great album before they went all stadium rock. "Neapolis" though was a nice return to form.

I also think it's VERY odd that rage didn't play any Sparkle In The Rain videos.

Least it would have eased much nicely from the timeless New Gold Dream era!

Blasphemy that Up On The Catwalk wasn't played!

brett
What version of the 'Love Song' clip did they play? I was wondering if they played the 'VideoDisc' version. If anyone ever saw that version, they will remember that the Videodisc people did some mirror like effect on the clip.

I was SO SO SO SO SOOOOO hoping that rage would play the extended version on Love Song. rage played it back in the old days and I have a copy still on VHS but would have LOVED for them to play again for a better copy :-(

! D A R N !

You know, that was the first time I have seen the promo clip for 'Love Song'.

Jason, I'm not a big fan of Simple Minds to buy their DVD. For groups that I have a small affinity with, I like to get their specials off rage and keep those. I was just disappointed that they went from 1982 to 1985. LOL, I thought that 'Live at ...' was a song or something that went for the usual 4 minutes or something (perhaps a song taken from a concert). I time recorded the special and was shocked to see it was a 50 minute concert. So, needless to say, I missed out on the last 15 minutes of the concert and the following songs. Not to worry, at least I got the 80's vids, even if rage were missing a handful.

I was a bit disappointed that Jim didn't really say much about the videos he chose. Maybe, he wanted the music to speak for itself. Sometimes, the guest programmers can talk and talk and talk about a particular song and you just want them to 'shut the f@#k up' and play the clip.

For later Simple Minds the CRY period from 2002 was good. They got back some Electronics and were a bit more like the Simple Minds I ADORE!

Blasphemy that Up On The Catwalk wasn't played!

For sure!!
Why have an artist like Jim Kerr on and then omit to play their band's full back catalogue?? Really poor form !

Jason 'The Moderator'
For later Simple Minds the CRY period from 2002 was good. They got back some Electronics and were a bit more like the Simple Minds I ADORE!

Will have to check that one out. I like Neapolis from 1998 which is also a return to their electro pop roots. Didn't realise Cry was in a similar vein.

LOL. Just checked through my music DVD's and I actually have 'Glittering Prize '81/'92' the video comp from 1992. I remember I got it on VHS a few years ago and transferred it.

It was rather strange that Rage don't seem to have 'Belfast Child' or 'Let There Be Love' in their library, as both were top 20 hits here. More casualties of the Rage library clear-outs over the years.

And on an unrelated note, I find it really odd that Rage seem to be re-encoding a few clips they've aired digitally in recent years (and therefore I assume would still be in their digital library) in the new lower resolustion/blurrier rage logo & superscript format. Primal Scream's 'Rocks' from this weekend aired in the clearer picture/font format in 2009, but this time it broadcasted in the new format. Odd.

Michael
LOL. Just checked through my music DVD's and I actually have 'Glittering Prize '81/'92' the video comp from 1992. I remember I got it on VHS a few years ago and transferred it.

I've been after the "Love Song '92" clip for a while - it was omitted from their DVD compilation. Any chance of uploading it somewhere??!

Too hard! I don't know how to do that. If you like, I can copy the video or the whole VHS on disc and post to you.

Michael
If you like, I can copy the video or the whole VHS on disc and post to you.

That'd be great - can you please send an email to me: as3 (at) bc (dot) id (dot) au and I can send you my details.

Thanks.

Done.