Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rage Mardi Gras Special

Last year's special was pretty good although none of the ones since the 1998 special which was programmed by one of the Mardi Gras DJ's have been as good. The Bob Downe/Vanessa Wagner one from 2000 was good too - they should have someone from Mardi Gras either host or program it - seems to work much better and make it more entertaining.

I posted my rage MARDI GRAS suggestions to the rage Facebook page and the rage Messageboard.

Would be good if they played some as last year's special was CRAP!!!

Why rage have NEVER played Skat Brothers with Life At The Outpost before is BEYOND me!!!

I had long asked Rage about the Skatt Bros clip. I have a similar one to the one posted on YouTube, also from a NightLife video from the early 90's but my graphics are a still image while the YouTube version moves.

This clip was made for the Australian market as it became a hit here and Countdown and Sounds requested a clip from Casablanca Records. From what I have read online, the clip was actually also made and only released in Australia after Casablanca didn't make one.

Maybe Rage don't have the clip.

Jason 'The Moderator'

Why rage have NEVER played Skat Brothers with Life At The Outpost before is BEYOND me!!!

Skatt Bros - Life At The Outpost only became a hit in one place in the world, Melbourne, where it actually went to No.1 (in the process being the first to knock off Genghis Khan from No.1 after the 1980 Olympics). Due to it's success in Melbourne it got to No.13 nationally.

photo 3xy12sept1979_zps5c362f33.jpg

I have only ever seen the clip on the Nightlife video releases - the copy on YouTube is also from these. Mine was on the Classics Tape 20 but it was also obviously on another as the YouTube one has different graphics to mine. I have about 15 of these Night Life video compilation issues and there are a couple of rarer clips amongst them. Well worth keeping an eye out for if you see them. You would wonder where that clip is today.

photo nightlifec20_zps339d4105.jpg

photo nightlifec20b_zps2bf48c0b.jpg

Another hard to find clip, from around this period, is "We Live For Love" - Pat Benatar. It's not even on her videos DVD. Not even on YouTube, Nowhere I tell you, Nowhere!

Michael
Another hard to find clip, from around this period, is "We Live For Love" - Pat Benatar. It's not even on her videos DVD. Not even on YouTube, Nowhere I tell you, Nowhere!

That's because there was no video clip made, there is only a live performance which appears on her live video.

Same goes for a number of other songs such as Laura Branigan - Ti Amo only exists from the Live At Caesars concert, Madonna songs Angel, Dress You Up and Over And Over were all just live performances as she was too busy touring at the time although a mock up for Angel was made later, Shiela E - Belle Of St.Mark live performance, Hazel Dean - Searchin' only live performance from Top Of The Pops, Donna Summer - Hot Stuff only various live performances. There would be many more.

Some artists actually released clips that either were live or looked live deliberately such as Bruce Springsteen's Dancing In The Dark.

Devo - Working In A Coalmine and B-52's - Private Idaho never made any clips either and their Countdown appearances are now their official clips.

I used to go into MISS SHOP at Myer to watch their NIGHTLIFE videos for hours. I LONGED to have them!!!

I NEED Skatt Brothers video DESPERATELY! Regarding Madonna - Holiday (12"...)... What video is it exactly???

There's the footage of the Skatt Bros clip was shown on Spicks and Specks that I saw before in about 2008 or 2009.

Nicholas
There's the footage of the Skatt Bros clip was shown on Spicks and Specks that I saw before in about 2008 or 2009.

If they showed the actual clip then it means the ABC have the video. They probably ripped it from YouTube though so it may not be good enough quality for Rage unfortunately.

They ripped one of my clips once (Warwick Capper - I Only Take What's Mine) and showed it on Spicks & Specks as well. I remember a while after I uploaded it there was a sudden spike in views and when I traced it I found it had been embedded on an ABC site. About 5 weeks later it appeared on Spicks & Specks. It's had over 38,000 views now for a song that never even made the Top 100 purely for the comedy value, which would be the same reason that Spicks & Specks showed Skatt Bros.

All 4 major stations have ripped my clips with Channel Ten (Before The Game 2012), Channel 7 (The Bounce 2010) and Channel 9 (The Footy Show 2008) having also used my footage. It's a common practice now but I'm happy they find it of interest.

Hopefully the ABC do have Life At The Outpost though and we get to see it at Mardi Gras time.

I recorded Life At The Outpost from Video Hits some years ago. Could Rage get a copy from Channel 10??. Is it true that it's not actually the Skatt Bros in this clip??

JASE
I recorded Life At The Outpost from Video Hits some years ago. Could Rage get a copy from Channel 10??. Is it true that it's not actually the Skatt Bros in this clip??

Channel 10 have the best video clip library as they kept all their clips while the ABC were throwing theirs out. They had always had clip programs starting with the first all night music clip show in Sydney in 1983 with John Torv's Video Music, which also started airing in Melbourne by mid 1984. In 1985 it became known as just Video Music and was hosted by Basia Bonkowski (who had been on SBS's Rock Around The World from 1982-84), and ran until 1986. I only have 90min of one episode but wish I had more as they played some great clips on there.

In 1987 Video Hits started on Ch10 weekend mornings while they also had Night Shift on Friday/Saturday nights (in competition with Rage) in the late 80's.

It would be great if they could share clips but think it would be unlikely.

Here is a scan of my Skatt Bros LP showing the actual band. If you watch the clip you will see the members are different, amongst other things the singer (Sean Delaney) in the clip has lost his tattoo and only one member had a body builders shape. I never noticed that until it was mentioned by the Casablanca Records history publication. The actual clip was shot in Australia and they have done a good job in finding similar characters while the choreography is as good as anything from the era. The 2 most obvious changes are the guy in the yellow singlet on the cover (Richie Fontana) has no comparable character in the clip while there is a blond guy in the clip who looks totally out of place as none of the band members looked like him.

photo skattbros_zps4b4e8e01.jpg

Jason 'The Moderator'
I used to go into MISS SHOP at Myer to watch their NIGHTLIFE videos for hours. I LONGED to have them!!!

I NEED Skatt Brothers video DESPERATELY! Regarding Madonna - Holiday (12"...)... What video is it exactly???

That's funny hanging out in Miss Shop to see the videos.

I have 13 of the Night Life Classic titles - CL 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20 + 22. Not sure how many there were all up.

They also released new monthly Chart issue from April 1991 to at least Oct 1993. I have got 6 of those issues as well. I have another 2 titles numbered BC02 and BC04 but I don't know what the BC stands for as they don't have covers but it just featured early 90's music clips.

The Madonna Holiday 12" is the extended version with the normal clip re-edited to fit the music, it goes for 5:35 min.

Guru Bob
Michael

That's because there was no video clip made, there is only a live performance which appears on her live video.

Same goes for a number of other songs such as Laura Branigan - Ti Amo only exists from the Live At Caesars concert, Madonna songs Angel, Dress You Up and Over And Over were all just live performances as she was too busy touring at the time although a mock up for Angel was made later, Shiela E - Belle Of St.Mark live performance, Hazel Dean - Searchin' only live performance from Top Of The Pops, Donna Summer - Hot Stuff only various live performances. There would be many more.

Some artists actually released clips that either were live or looked live deliberately such as Bruce Springsteen's Dancing In The Dark.

Devo - Working In A Coalmine and B-52's - Private Idaho never made any clips either and their Countdown appearances are now their official clips.

Someone has confirmed to me that there is a promotional video for it (ie not a live performance).

So I'm taking it, that "Life At The Outpost" didn't pop up on a 1980 Countdown episode?

I remember seeing the video on Channel on "Rewind" hosted by Maynard. That would have been 1999 or 2000.

Michael
Someone has confirmed to me that there is a promotional video for it (ie not a live performance).

Wow, that's news to me. I really liked the We Live For Love song and every time I ever saw it on TV in the 80's it was the live version. There was no clip ever shown that I saw.

I discussed this with some people about 10-15 years ago and was told there was no clip made and in my time on YouTube had never seen any either. Was this a concept clip shot in 1980 or a retrospectively made clip? Fantastic news if there was an actual clip, let me know if you track it down as I would love to see it.

Michael
So I'm taking it, that "Life At The Outpost" didn't pop up on a 1980 Countdown episode?

I remember seeing the video on Channel on "Rewind" hosted by Maynard. That would have been 1999 or 2000.

It appeared in Chartbusters on Sept 14 and October 5 but they never showed the full clip (maybe it didn't pass the censors due to it's time slot). On both occasions they mentioned that it had gone to No.1 in Melbourne.

Guru Bob
Michael

Wow, that's news to me. I really liked the We Live For Love song and every time I ever saw it on TV in the 80's it was the live version. There was no clip ever shown that I saw.

I discussed this with some people about 10-15 years ago and was told there was no clip made and in my time on YouTube had never seen any either. Was this a concept clip shot in 1980 or a retrospectively made clip? Fantastic news if there was an actual clip, let me know if you track it down as I would love to see it.

Same here. I have always loved this song - definitely my favourite one of hers.
Have seen the live performance but would love to see this rare promotional video as well.

Guru Bob
JASE

Channel 10 have the best video clip library as they kept all their clips while the ABC were throwing theirs out. They had always had clip programs starting with the first all night music clip show in Sydney in 1983 with John Torv's Video Music, which also started airing in Melbourne by mid 1984. In 1985 it became known as just Video Music and was hosted by Basia Bonkowski (who had been on SBS's Rock Around The World from 1982-84), and ran until 1986. I only have 90min of one episode but wish I had more as they played some great clips on there.

In 1987 Video Hits started on Ch10 weekend mornings while they also had Night Shift on Friday/Saturday nights (in competition with Rage) in the late 80's.

It would be great if they could share clips but think it would be unlikely.

Here is a scan of my Skatt Bros LP showing the actual band. If you watch the clip you will see the members are different, amongst other things the singer (Sean Delaney) in the clip has lost his tattoo and only one member had a body builders shape. I never noticed that until it was mentioned by the Casablanca Records history publication. The actual clip was shot in Australia and they have done a good job in finding similar characters while the choreography is as good as anything from the era. The 2 most obvious changes are the guy in the yellow singlet on the cover (Richie Fontana) has no comparable character in the clip while there is a blond guy in the clip who looks totally out of place as none of the band members looked like him.

photo skattbros_zps4b4e8e01.jpg

Video Hits was great in the early years (1989-91). Straight after the commercial break they played an oldie and as the mandatory Community Service ad was coming to a close you pressed the pause button on the video (which was in record standby mode) and you'd tape a rare oldie. They played this clip (Life At the Outpost) and it was an edited version as the song on record ran over 4 minutes. The second verse and chorus was cut out.

One of my best tapings from Video Hits was the original 1975 clip for It's Almost Summer by Billy Thorpe. After Thorpie died Rage did a tribute and did not play the clip. I then put it on YouTube (my first upload). The producer of the clip posted a comment thanking me for uploading it as all broadcast copies of the clip had been destroyed.

Hoin
Video Hits was great in the early years (1989-91). Straight after the commercial break they played an oldie and as the mandatory Community Service ad was coming to a close you pressed the pause button on the video (which was in record standby mode) and you'd tape a rare oldie. They played this clip (Life At the Outpost) and it was an edited version as the song on record ran over 4 minutes. The second verse and chorus was cut out.

One of my best tapings from Video Hits was the original 1975 clip for It's Almost Summer by Billy Thorpe. After Thorpie died Rage did a tribute and did not play the clip. I then put it on YouTube (my first upload). The producer of the clip posted a comment thanking me for uploading it as all broadcast copies of the clip had been destroyed.

Great YouTube upload, very good quality copy. That's what I love about YouTube, the quality of the material that is out there in the suburbs that people can now share. I wish I had recorded more back then. It's great to have 20-20 vision with hindsight.

Does that mean Channel 10 don't have a copy of It's Almost Summer anymore? I was under the impression they had kept their material since the mid 80's at least due to using it on their clip shows. I know here in Melbourne there are stories that they did create some space in their library at one stage and dumped a lot of it as landfill - I don't know what was supposed to have been dumped. They were based at outer-eastern Nunawading at the time and apparently the Nunawading Football Ground is propped up by old film.

Jason 'The Moderator'
I posted my rage MARDI GRAS suggestions to the rage Facebook page and the rage Messageboard.

Would be good if they played some as last year's special was CRAP!!!

Skatt Bros group had Sean Delaney on keyboards, who was the unofficial 5th member of KISS back in the 70s.

Delaney was very much responsible for helping with the characters/makeup designs and the stageshow and moves etc.

He was also in a relationship with KISS manager Bill Aucoin. Bill later managed Billy Idol and brought Idol from the UK back in the early 80s.

Sean Delaney died of cancer a few years ago.

According to the Rage blurb we will see some of the following.

"In celebration of Mardi Gras this Saturday night our playlist will keep you dancing and celebrating long into the night. With a big focus on 90s disco, the line-up will also feature music videos from The Scissor Sisters, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, Tegan & Sara, Janet Jackson, K. D Lang, Bonnie Tyler, Boy George, Kim Hart, Chantoozies, The Skatt Bros among many more. The night’s full playlist will be posted on our website Friday afternoon. "

They have found a clip for Skatt Bros. Also interested in the Kim Hart clip.

YAY!

I requested Kim Hart and Scatt Brothers on my list!

I didn't think either of them would show up! Gawd, rage really ARE good to me at times

I also requested Bonnie's 'If You Were A Woman And i Was A Man' ... I WONDER if that will show up AND I requested SOLD from Boy George, if that gets played I WILL FREAK!

Guru Bob

Same goes for a number of other songs such as Laura Branigan - Ti Amo only exists from the Live At Caesars concert, Madonna songs Angel

'Angel' has a roughly 2:30 minute video compiled for the UK market, consisting merely of footage from her other videos up until that point.

AHHHHHH!!! rage are playing a nice little chunk of my requests for their Mardi Gras special this Saturday night! From my list they are playing BOY GEORGE with SOLD!!! O M F G, I am SURE it's from Rock Arena 1987 when I originally saw it, Kim hart with Love At First Night, Scatt Brothers with Life At The Outpost, Bonnie Tyler with If You Were A Woman And I Was A Man and Chantoozies with Walk On and Rupaul with Back To My Roots! I LOVE being spoilt from rage very often! :-) I don't mean to brag but F U C K I am GOOD!

There are a handful of 'new'/rare clips, but whole slabs of the playlist are cut and paste jobs from previous Mardi Gras specials... including a stack of stuff that aired on last year's one!

Whilst I'm grateful there's a Mardi Gras special allowing for the airing of the few rare clips, on the whole it just seems rather.. lazy.

Sean will be happy they're playing Chantoozies 'Walk On' (as am I). Coincidentally, they've been airing that a bit recently in the Summer Bay 'diner' on the 1991 Home & Away episodes currently re-screening on 7two.

ohnoitisnathan
Guru Bob

Same goes for a number of other songs such as Laura Branigan - Ti Amo only exists from the Live At Caesars concert, Madonna songs Angel

'Angel' has a roughly 2:30 minute video compiled for the UK market, consisting merely of footage from her other videos up until that point.

Hi Guys

If anybody is interested here is what the video of Angel looks like

If anybody would like the video I have provided a free link underneath this

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q2ae3o

I bought the Madonna video She's Breathless on ebay about 12-13 years ago because it had a clip of Angel on it and never seen one. That's when I found that it was only a mock up clip that is available for that.

Skatt Bros on Rage this morning was a heavily edited and short clip but also contained a few head shots not on the full version - no idea where Rage sourced that from. I am assuming that it had some logos on the left as the clip went all blurry on that half of the screen. The official clip is already missing one verse but what Rage showed was very unusual. Maybe it had to be edited to be shown in the morning slot and they have the full version for tonight hopefully but I would doubt that.

When I looked at the Playlist yesterday afternoon the Mardi Gras morning edition wasn't there so I missed it this morning. Crap! SO Life AT The Outpost was only like a minute

It's on past 5 tomorrow morning so I doubt it will be any different

You can watch this special on ABCiView if you like.

Jason 'The Moderator'
When I looked at the Playlist yesterday afternoon the Mardi Gras morning edition wasn't there so I missed it this morning. Crap! SO Life AT The Outpost was only like a minute

Jason, I recorded it Sat. morning and it went for over 4 mins. So I'd be interested to see how long the unedited version is. Funny video. Did they know how gay it looked when they made it or was that their intention?

If interested, maybe a trade, that for 'If You Were A Woman And I Was A Man' & 'Sold'. Forgot to record them!

Michael

If interested, maybe a trade, that for 'If You Were A Woman And I Was A Man' & 'Sold'. Forgot to record them!

I caught both of those Michael, and can copy them for you if you don't get a more punctual offer

I didn't know the Bonnie Tyler song previously, but loved it, and the video. It does make you wonder what is lurking in the Rage library sometimes... Very similar melody to Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love a Bad Name', but a quick google/wikipedia reveals that both were written by the same guy, and Bonnie's song was released first.

Hi Nathan, thanks for that. Yeah, I had never heard of the Bonnie Tyler song or seen the video before too. Speaking of Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love A Bad Name', didn't Bon Jovi take the writers of 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' to court because it sounded a lot like that song, or was it 'Living On A Prayer'? Anyway, I remember hearing about it in early 1988 on The Factory and I remember Belinda Carlisle saying they were (along the line of) C#NTS.

I recorded the Bonnie Tyler song on Top 40 Video way back in 1986. It was the only time i saw it on TV so i thought i was pretty lucky to have it. You may (or may not)be interested to know it was wedged in between The Venetian's Inspiration and Tim Finn's No Thunder No Fire No Rain

Michael
Jason 'The Moderator'

Jason, I recorded it Sat. morning and it went for over 4 mins. So I'd be interested to see how long the unedited version is. Funny video. Did they know how gay it looked when they made it or was that their intention?

The Sunday morning version of Life At The Outpost went for just on 3 minutes and you say Saturday mornings version went over 4 minutes!

I will 101% do a swap with you for the Saturday morning version of Life At The Outpost and in return I will do you Bonnie Tyler and Boy!

Oops! Sorry Jason. I double checked it again and 'Life At The Outpost' only went for 3 minutes Saturday morning. What was I on? Yeah, I guess we'll forget the trade then. Cheers.

Michael
Hi Nathan, thanks for that. Yeah, I had never heard of the Bonnie Tyler song or seen the video before too. Speaking of Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love A Bad Name', didn't Bon Jovi take the writers of 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' to court because it sounded a lot like that song, or was it 'Living On A Prayer'? Anyway, I remember hearing about it in early 1988 on The Factory and I remember Belinda Carlisle saying they were (along the line of) C#NTS.

I remember reading about this incident in Smash Hits. From memory it was 'You Give Love a Bad Name' that HIAPOE supposedly plagiarised... In that case, would Bonnie Tyler not also have the right to sue? (although yes she didn't write the song)

I also have a memory of reading Jon Bon Jovi commenting in Smash Hits that he ran into Belinda somewhere (at an awards show?) and she hung her head down as he passed her. Jon said something like "she knew (hence hanging her head in shame), but it's not really her fault as she didn't write the song." I also remember reading a Belinda Carlisle interview in Smash Hits where they asked her to finish off the couplet 'Roses are red, violets are blue...', and she responded, "Bon Jovi's beard is weird, and so are you." It's funny the trivial things I remember like that.