Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone remember "War of the Worlds" music videos on Countdown?

Does anyone else remember two music videos made for Jeff Wayne's musical version of "War of the Worlds"?

The first one was an animated video to an edited version of the "Eve of the War" - I clearly remember seeing it on both Countdown (on one of the missing episodes??) and Sounds in 1978. Apparently the video was "unofficial" and not made with the consent of Jeff Wayne but it got screenplay nonetheless, used to promote the album in Australia.

My vague (and less certain) recollection of the second one was a more conventional video to "Forever Autumn" (without narration) by Justin Hayward, and he appeared in the video miming, but I don't recall much else about it. My recollection was that it shown on Countdown (another one of the missing episodes??) late 1978 or possibly early 1979.

The interesting thing is neither of these are on YouTube and I have not found any reference or description of them on the web anywhere.

So either I am going mad and never saw them, or this is a rare instance of something being erased from the collective world memory - itself a notable event if that's what happened.

Re: Anyone remember "War of the Worlds" music videos on Countdown?

Clip Magnet
Does anyone else remember two music videos made for Jeff Wayne's musical version of "War of the Worlds"?

The first one was an animated video to an edited version of the "Eve of the War" - I clearly remember seeing it on both Countdown (on one of the missing episodes??) and Sounds in 1978. Apparently the video was "unofficial" and not made with the consent of Jeff Wayne but it got screenplay nonetheless, used to promote the album in Australia.

My vague (and less certain) recollection of the second one was a more conventional video to "Forever Autumn" (without narration) by Justin Hayward, and he appeared in the video miming, but I don't recall much else about it. My recollection was that it shown on Countdown (another one of the missing episodes??) late 1978 or possibly early 1979.

The interesting thing is neither of these are on YouTube and I have not found any reference or description of them on the web anywhere.

So either I am going mad and never saw them, or this is a rare instance of something being erased from the collective world memory - itself a notable event if that's what happened.

Hi Clip Magnet

The only version I have ever seen of "The Eve Of War" is the Ben Liebrand Remix in about 1988. These are the 2 versions I have, the first is a Live 1978 video and the second is the Ben Liebrand Remix

and is this the Justin Hayward video that you are talking about?

Clip Magnet

The music clip that I remember was almost a compilation clip that went for quite some time. It started off with the 'Eve of the War', then it moved into 'Forever Autumn', then into 'Brave New World', then I think back to the 'EvE Of The War' again. It was like a Promo clip for the whole album.

Does "Forever Autumn" music video have got special effects as a concept?

I remember seeing the animated clip on Video Hits in the late 90's

I would love to see a video if it exists for "Forever Autumn",such a hauntingly beautiful song. As for "Eve Of The War" that was the first single I ever bought back in '78/'79.

Lee

The only version I have ever seen of "The Eve Of War" is the Ben Liebrand Remix in about 1988. These are the 2 versions I have, the first is a Live 1978 video and the second is the Ben Liebrand Remix

No these are not the ones I remember - although the second looks like it has excerpts from the video which Brett posted, which IS the one I remember.
Lee

and is this the Justin Hayward video that you are talking about?

No, I vaguely remember it was a concept video, with an overall green hue to it. But my recollection is particularly hazy on this one.

brett
The music clip that I remember was almost a compilation clip that went for quite some time. It started off with the 'Eve of the War', then it moved into 'Forever Autumn', then into 'Brave New World', then I think back to the 'EvE Of The War' again. It was like a Promo clip for the whole album.

Oh wow - well done, THAT is the clip I remember. I looked and looked on YouTube but couldn't find it. What is also scary is how little of it I accurately remembered - I remember some of the middle and ending (before the epilogue credits) but that's all.

It's also amazing that this rip is from an 8mm or 16mm film copy of the clip. How technology has changed since 1978.

It would be stunning to have a copy from the master tape (or film - rotoscoped). I wonder if it still exists, or has been lost?

Thanks for dredging up an amazing memory from (gulp) 35 years ago.

Clip Magnet
brett

Oh wow - well done, THAT is the clip I remember. I looked and looked on YouTube but couldn't find it. What is also scary is how little of it I accurately remembered - I remember some of the middle and ending (before the epilogue credits) but that's all.

It's also amazing that this rip is from an 8mm or 16mm film copy of the clip. How technology has changed since 1978.

It would be stunning to have a copy from the master tape (or film - rotoscoped). I wonder if it still exists, or has been lost?

Thanks for dredging up an amazing memory from (gulp) 35 years ago.

I accidently stumbled onto the clip on youtube by cross searching. On the 7 disc 'War Of The Worlds' box set there is a DVD in it, I wonder if it's included.

brett
I accidently stumbled onto the clip on youtube by cross searching. On the 7 disc 'War Of The Worlds' box set there is a DVD in it, I wonder if it's included.

It isn't included, which is why I began to think there had been some kind of deliberate effort to "bury" this clip as if it never existed. Why it wasn't included on the DVD is a mytery to me.

Clip Magnet
brett

It isn't included, which is why I began to think there had been some kind of deliberate effort to "bury" this clip as if it never existed. Why it wasn't included on the DVD is a mytery to me.

Thank you, I was going to buy the 7 disc version for that reason. Lucky I didn't, I would've been very dissapointed.

brett

Thats crazy, It would have been interesting if a whole film had been made.