Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EUROGLIDERS * NO ACTION!

My gaaaawd. I FREAKED when the Countdown studio 'FILM CLIP' of No Action from Eurogliders came on! RARE OR WHAT!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh

I messaged Grace Knight on Friday night about how she was on Hosting last weekend with the 1982 Countdown episode and today with the 1983 Episode and asked if she wanted me to send her each show on DVD and she replied with this below:

Jason, that would be fantastic, what would I do without you? I've heard from a couple of people that I was on last week but I missed it and would love to see that old footage. Thanks for being so thoughtful. love, grace

Re: EUROGLIDERS * NO ACTION!

I freaked too - never seen it before, I think I now have a complete Eurogliders clip collection

Although as an ABC-made clip it's not quite "official" like a record company made clip. But I'm not complaining!

In Sydney the watermark went AWOL for the first 10 minutes of Countdown, which just happened to be when this clip was on. Did that happen in other states? No 'rage' titles over it either. Nice!

It wasn't bad track back in the day, but surprisingly didn't chart that well.

According to the Kent Music Report, it barely cracked the Top100, reaching number 97 on a 3 week run.

They didn't start to chart more successfully until the 84/85 period of course.

I love these in-house Countdown made clips.

YES, NO Watermark during No Action. Totally CLEAN! I noticed while No Action was nearly half way through! Then it cam on half way during U2 with new Years Day.

I also LOVE the Countdown in-house made clips too!!!

The Countdown clip for 'No Action' was fantastic. It was the highlight of the night and one of the best Countdown clips I've seen. When 'The Reels' in concert came on after this episode, I played the 'No Action' clip 2 more times - couldn't get enough of it. Jason, I'm so glad you contacted Grace and she'll be getting both Eurogliders episodes.

Grace gave me her postal address when I interviewed her and told me to send her anything I want signed at any time. I also bought her a Dictaphone from officeworks as she gave me money to get her one as she loved mine that I used to interview her with. Since then we have been in contact on Facebook here and there and i KNEW she would want copies of Countdown!

She is a real SWEETIE!

I still have the sound recorded interview you did with Grace. I won't be deleting that! esp. after the time I put into it!

How many in-house Countdown made clips were existed?

Nicholas
How many in-house Countdown made clips were existed?

There were about 20 in house Countdown clips produced from my estimations. The description of live or clip performances on the runsheets is not well enough documented to be able to confirm an exact number unless you were able to actually view each episode and work it out from there.

They were all done in 1983 when the Countdown format of live bands in the studio changed and they produced these clips. In 1984 they went back to live bands. There were still some live performances in 1983 but these mainly centered around international artists who hosted but weren't around long enough to do a special clip such as Laura Branigan, KC & The Sunshine Band, Bonnie Tyler etc. As far as I am aware they were all exclusively Australian bands/artists for these in house clips.

I find that many of the Countdown produced clips were actually far better than the official releases.

I think the following clips were done, but would need to check to confirm:
Eurogliders - No Action
Wendy & The Rocketts - Play The Game
Real Life - Send Me An Angel
Go-Betweens - Cattle & Cane
Australian Crawl - Reckless
Pat Wilson - Bop Girl
Pseudo Echo - Listening
Mi-Sex - Only Thinking
Uncanny X-Men - How Do You Get Your Kicks
Uncanny X-Men - Time Goes So Fast
Sharon O'Neill - Losing You
Sharon O'Neill - Danger
Globos - The Beat Goes On
The Expression - With Closed Eyes
The Expression - Decisions
Mental As Anything - Spirit Got Lost
Kids In The Kitchen - Change In Mood
Dragon - Rain
Ignatius Jones - Whispering Your Name
John Justin - Out In The Outback

There are probably more plus I may have one or two wrong but as far as a list goes it's a start.

Michael
I still have the sound recorded interview you did with Grace. I won't be deleting that! esp. after the time I put into it!

He, He, He

Guru Bob
There were about 20 in house Countdown clips produced from my estimations. The description of live or clip performances on the runsheets is not well enough documented to be able to confirm an exact number unless you were able to actually view each episode and work it out from there.

They were all done in 1983 when the Countdown format of live bands in the studio changed and they produced these clips. In 1984 they went back to live bands. There were still some live performances in 1983 but these mainly centered around international artists who hosted but weren't around long enough to do a special clip such as Laura Branigan, KC & The Sunshine Band, Bonnie Tyler etc. As far as I am aware they were all exclusively Australian bands/artists for these in house clips.

I find that many of the Countdown produced clips were actually far better than the official releases.

There are probably more plus I may have one or two wrong but as far as a list goes it's a start.

I'd like to add Models - "No Shoulders No Head", on 11 Dec 1983 episode.

I'm pretty sure Divinyls' 'Siren (Never Let You Go)' was another Countdown 1983 video. If I remember correctly, they were announced as performing 'live in the studio' when it aired, but this "video" appears on an official Divinyls VHS music video compilation, so it is regarded as being the video for the song.

TopPop in the Netherlands produced a few videos for its show that have since been regarded as the actual music video. Nena's '99 Luftballons' is one, as far as I'm aware, as is Stars on 45's 'Stars on 45'.

The most talked about in-house Countdown clip of the 70's was Supernaut's 'I like It Both Ways'.

Clip Magnet
Guru Bob

I'd like to add Models - "No Shoulders No Head", on 11 Dec 1983 episode.

INDEED! No Shoulders No Head!

My dates are a little rubbery, but definitely remember the Divinyls performing Siren on Countdown either on the 13th or 20th March 1983, and Sharon O'Neill performed Maxine on either the 24th or 31st July 1983, possibly 7th August, but I'm quite sure that was the Flashdance special, so it would of been one of the last episodes in July.

Was 'That's The Way' by Deckchairs Overboard a CountDown in-house clip?

Jason 'The Moderator'
My gaaaawd. I FREAKED when the Countdown studio 'FILM CLIP' of No Action from Eurogliders came on! RARE OR WHAT!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh

Absolutely beautiful and stunning...I was gobsmacked. I didn't even know a Countdown clip existed !

Abbaluke,

When I interviewed Grace she told me they did a clip for Maybe Only I Dream which I have seen on You Tube and I am SURE she said they did a No Action clip as well.

It was SOOOOOOO amazing!!!

Mark from 2PR FM
My dates are a little rubbery, but definitely remember the Divinyls performing Siren on Countdown either on the 13th or 20th March 1983, and Sharon O'Neill performed Maxine on either the 24th or 31st July 1983, possibly 7th August, but I'm quite sure that was the Flashdance special, so it would of been one of the last episodes in July.

Hi Mark, Sharon performing 'Maxine' was the 31/7/83 episode. Hosted by Jennifer Beals and Molly.

There were some songs have official music videos as second version from record labels and directed by music video directors such as Chris Lofven and Paul Goldman being shown on other music video shows before which I saw two of the songs on Rock Arena from Rage Goes Retro and it includes:
Wendy & The Rocketts - Play The Game directed by Chris Lofven
Real Life - Send Me An Angel directed by Paul Goldman
Go-Betweens - Cattle & Cane
Australian Crawl - Reckless
Pat Wilson - Bop Girl directed by Gillian Armstrong and a special guest appearance by a young Nicole Kidman
Pseudo Echo - Listening
Sharon O'Neill - Losing You
The Expression - With Closed Eyes
Mental As Anything - Spirit Got Lost
Kids In The Kitchen - Change In Mood also directed by Chris Lofven
Dragon - Rain
You can check it out on YouTube if you like.

Eurogliders are reforming for a one off performance in Melbourne on May 23 as a support act to Boom Town Rats (who are also reforming after nearly 30 years).

Guru Bob
Eurogliders are reforming for a one off performance in Melbourne on May 23 as a support act to Boom Town Rats (who are also reforming after nearly 30 years).

Even thirty plus years ago this would and still is an 'interesting' double bill to say the least. Thank goodness there are now some mature heads amongst the crowd these days as thirty plus years ago there might have been an 'incident' or two. Time in this case being a great healer. I wish both bands the best on the night as well, of course.

WOW WOW WOW

Amazing. What venue in Melbourne?

Looks like Bernie and Grace are talking now! or maybe just for one night?

Clip Magnet
I freaked too - never seen it before, I think I now have a complete Eurogliders clip collection

Although as an ABC-made clip it's not quite "official" like a record company made clip. But I'm not complaining!

In Sydney the watermark went AWOL for the first 10 minutes of Countdown, which just happened to be when this clip was on. Did that happen in other states? No 'rage' titles over it either. Nice!

The watermark was on the Perth edition. But the without you on countdown the watermark was missing. Infact it was off for about 2hrs.

In Melbourne, the watermark was missing on No Action which was BRILLIANT! But we had the logo on Without You

Does anyone know if the last Eurogliders album, "Blue Kiss", was ever actually released? I've read that it was on some internet sites, but don't recall ever seeing it available to purchase. Is it available to download anywhere? I note that the album was mentioned in the Grace Knight interview on this site, but there was no indepth discussion of it.
Any information on this would be keenly devoured!