Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Segment Tape and David Essex City Lights

shotlist: STORAGE TAPE 2A:;00.07, FF#1, BE BOP DELUXE - "SHIPS IN THE NIGHT"(DUR 3:34);03.43 FF#2, WALKER BROS - "THE SUN AIN'T GONNA SHINE ANYMORE"(DUR 3:00);06.48 FF#3, SHERBET - "LADY OF THE NIGHT"(DUR 4:02);10.54 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "TRACKS OF MY TEARS"(DUR3:03);14.02 FF#4, JOHN SEBASTIAN - "WELCOME BACK"(DUR 2:48);18.02 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "HEATWAVE"(DUR 2:36);20.42 SUPERTRAMP - "LADY"(DUR 3:38);25.32 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GET RIGHT BACK"(DUR 3:38);28.42 FF#3, GALLAGHER & LYLE - "I WANNA STAY WITH YOU"(DUR 3:18);32.02 FF#5, JOHN PAUL YOUNG - "I HATE THE MUSIC"(DUR 3:45);35.54 FF#1, EAGLES - "DIVELLIN' DALTONS"(DUR 5:54);41.51 FF#3, DARYL BRAITHWAITE - "TIME"(DUR 2:44);44.37 FF#2, DAVID ESSEX - "CITY LIGHTS"(DUR 6:26);51.23 FF#3, AC/DC - "JAIL BREAK"(DUR 4:25);55.49 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "CRAZY"(DUR 3:25);59.18 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG - "DARKTOWN STRUTTERS BALL";1.02.46 BREAKER - (MAP OF AUSTRALIA, NO VO)(DUR 0:17);1.03.07 FF#6, BILLY OCEAN - "LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU"(DUR 2:25);1.06.05 FF#7, LITTLE RIVER BAND (AKA LRB) - "EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE"(DUR 3:42);1.09.51 FF#1, BELLAMY BROS - "LET YOUR LOVE FLOW"(DUR 3:05);1.12.57 FF#8, BAY CITY ROLLERS - "LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU"(DUR 3:07);1.16.05 FF#9, ERIC CARMEN - "ALL BY MYSELF"9DUR 4:29);1.22,00 FF#3, SHERBET - "DANCER"(DUR 3:23);1.25.25 FF#3, SHERBET - "HOWZAT" LIVE PERFORMANCE (DUR 3:42);1.29.19 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GOTTA BE THE ONE"(DUR 2:54); ;STORAGE TAPE 2B:;1.32.11 FF#7 SUPERNAUT - "I LIKE IT BOTH WAYS"(DUR 3:35);1.36.35 FF#10, ABBA - "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY"(DUR 3:06);1.39.46 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "JAMAICA RUM"(DUR 2:36);1.42.25 FF#11, JON ENGLISH - "HOLLYWOOD 7"(DUR 3:55);1.46.22 FF#1, FOX (AKA NOOSHA FOX) - "SSSSINGLE BED"(DUR 3:53);1.50.18 FF#1, SAILOR - "GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS"(DUR 2:57);1.53.18 FF#7, CLIFF RICHARD - "DEVIL WOMEN"(DUR 3:38);1.57.00 FF#12, BRIAN FERRY - "LET'S STICK TOGETHER"(DUR 2:59);2.00.00 FF#10, ABBA - "DANCING QUEEN"(DUR 3:45);2.03.48 FF#7, TAVARES - "HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL"(DUR 3:23);2.07.11, FF#10, STARLAND VOCAL BAND - "AFTERNOON DELIGHT"(DUR 3:02);2.10.15 FF#13, THE MANHATTANS - "KISS AND SAY GOODBYE"(DUR 4:25)

Just reposting the full details of that segment tape again which has now been used for a few clips we have seen this summer.

So far we have seen these clips off the tape

1. Supertramp - Lady
2. Bay City Rollers - Love Me Like I Love You
3. Jon English - Hollywood Seven (Countdown clip)
4. Fox - SSSS Single Bed (previously Rage has only used the one shown in the Countdown Top 100 of 1976 episode)
5. Sailor - Girls Girls Girls

And about to come

6. David Essex - City Lights

There are some other really rare clips in that list - Maxine Nightingale "Gotta Be The One" and Gallagher & Lyle "I Wanna Stay With You" are also ones seldom seen since they charted in 1976.

Re: Segment Tape and David Essex City Lights

And what a thrill it is that Rage are finally showing this incredible film clip of David Essex "City Lights" for the first time in nearly 37 years on Australian TV. As I mentioned, the film clip is the full album version of the song that runs for 6 1/2 minutes. I am absolutely speechless. I will be out of bed and awake at 4.11am when this comes on.

A bit of background - the song was released early in 1976 - I just checked the 3XY charts and it peaked in Melbourne at No. 6 in May of that year. We sure knew how to pick a good song when it came out!! It probably should have charted higher but an edited-down version was the one that got the main radio play. This was another track first exposed on Countdown. During my Easter school break in 1976 (I was in Year 10 or fourth form) Countdown aired this clip in FULL during one of their shows - I still have memories of being blown away by it and how long (and good!!) the song was and how brilliant the film clip was for something produced in the mid-70s. I have never forgotten that moment. Of course that Countdown show has long gone to the vaults in the sky 6 years later thanks to the pathetic government razor gangs and bean counters when most of Countdown's older episodes got wiped during 1982. The only other clip at the time that had such an impact was probably the first viewing of Queens "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the effectiveness of that promo film.

I seem to remember "City Lights" being shown on a few Countdowns in the following weeks whilst it was in the Top Ten - and probably was also shown at the time on Donnie Sutherlands "Sounds Unlimited" show. The only other airing of this film clip since that time in 1976 has been the final minute-and-a-half which has been screened on a Countdown Top 100 of 1976 show early in 1977 and shown on Rage again in retro season a number of years ago - that was just a teaser.

As an aside, David Essex also got to perform this track live on the U.K's flagship "Top Of The Pops" show in March 1976 - when it had just entered the British charts at No. 37. That performance and show have also been completely wiped by the BBC - and the song only peaked at No. 24 over there. He would not have got to perform the whole song on Top Of The Pops either - no way known!!

So finally - we get to see this original film clip in full again on Australian TV!! This clip and its successful record sales owes a debt to Countdown and just how important the show was in this time and the reach of its audience. A trip down memory lane at 4.11am Sunday morning!!

And before I go I do owe a great deal of thanks to the work of a number of other people in here who have done their utmost to get Rage to play this clip over the past few years - To Gurubob (thanks heaps mate for keeping on the case of the guys at archives to dig this out) as well as Jason our fab moderator, abbaluke and a number of others (sorry if I have forgotten anyone in particular) - great work guys!!

Brett (2)
And before I go I do owe a great deal of thanks to the work of a number of other people in here who have done their utmost to get Rage to play this clip over the past few years - To Gurubob (thanks heaps mate for keeping on the case of the guys at archives to dig this out) as well as Jason our fab moderator, abbaluke and a number of others (sorry if I have forgotten anyone in particular) - great work guys!!

Very happy to see this get a look in. While we can never again see those episodes that were wiped it is great to be able to see segments of what was shown. I have never seen the full clip - even on YouTube - so it will be of definite interest.

So why don't rage just put in this tape and press 'PLAY' and screen the whole lot in one hit?

EXACTLY MICHAEL!

Great to hear City Lights being played. Also good to see the full version of Gonna Make You A Star as well. Interestingly CBS Records Australia edited out two lines from the song in 1975. The chorus after the middle eight begins "Oh is he more, too much more than a pretty face? I don't think so!". CBS thought this was "too gay" and edited it out for the single release. Interestingly the edited version popped up on a 2001 CD release of rare hits from the 1970s. I was cursing that and had to wait until the CD release of The David Essex Album in 2011 before I could get the proper version on CD.

Actually I dont know why they just dont play the whole segment tape - I just noticed another couple of rare things in there - although we have a copy of the original clip of Billy Ocean "Love Really Hurts Without You" (from the Top 100 1976) it is edited of course - the full version would be great.

Hi Hoin - that is very interesting about "Gonna Make You A Star" - now that I remember the local version did edit that line out. This did not worry them in the UK - I even have a a version on Top Of the Pops where Paul McCartney & Wings do the "I Dont think So" part. Will be good to see that film clip again - I think it may have been shown in the past but not very often.

Guru Bob
Very happy to see this get a look in. While we can never again see those episodes that were wiped it is great to be able to see segments of what was shown. I have never seen the full clip - even on YouTube - so it will be of definite interest.

You know how rare it is Gurubob when not even Youtube have a copy - I can tell you that a lot of David Essex fans around the world who will be very much chasing a copy of this clip after it is shown - and the odds are it will probably be on YT very quickly. I have a few contacts who have told me this is the ONLY known copy where the clip resides in an archive anywhere in the world - although you would think the record company (CBS) and David himself may have kept a copy - considering how expensive it would have been to make!!

Brett (2)

You know how rare it is Gurubob when not even Youtube have a copy

While that may be true, it could also be due to copyright issues. I've had 2 suspended youtube accounts over the years due to having 3 copyright strikes, losing several hundred videos each time... which is why, since late 2009, I limit the number of videos uploaded to any one account to about 20 in most situations.

@ Brett (2)

Was the unedited version of 'City Lights' well worth the wait? I haven't watched the videos in between the two Rock Arenas yet. To be honest, I wasn't going to worry about recording them, but after all the discussion about the video, I had to record it - and will watch it soon.

It has never been up on YT Nathan - at least not the full version.

Hi Michael - having watched "City Lights" again a number of times since taping it at 4.11 this morning, my impressions - the film clip was set to some kind of storyline (like a mini-movie) with David and some gangs around the streets of London at night time. 37 years on it has a dark, grainy and gritty look about it - quality is not the best now - and the passage of time has probably deteriorated its legendary status a bit. What I can say is that for something made in late 75/early 76 this was way ahead of its time and very different to anything else produced as a film clip to accompany a record at the time which makes it very unique. Only Bohemian Rhapsody from Queen had a similar impact during this period. Looking back now, of course the art of making promo films improved dramatically in the 1980s so clips like "City Lights" have been a bit "left behind" in terms of effects and technical expertise. This film clip pales in comparison to what took place years later.

Still in 1976 this was a revelation for an impressionable lad like me - dont get me wrong - it is still just great to see it again after so long - sort of like being reunited with someone you have not seen since then, or someone who died around that time but has now been bought back to life. I am very happy they finally showed this gem - still a great song even if the clip didnt quite live up to the hype I generated!!

I still have vivid memories of "Molly" Meldrum raving about how this film clip was such an innovation for 1976 and then Countdown playing the entire thing during a long-wiped episode. While we will sadly never get to see the actual show now, to see this again has bought the memories flooding back for me- this is another great Countdown memory bought back to life. One cannot underestimate how important this show was in bringing material like this to a wide audience. The most important music show ever in the history of Australian TV. It will remain that way for eternity.

Fair enough. So do you think the quality deteriorated on the segment tape? The Bonnie Tyler and Mark Holden videos held up extremely well though in quality.

Just looked at the content on the segment tape. Those 2 video aren't on it.

Michael
Fair enough. So do you think the quality deteriorated on the segment tape? The Bonnie Tyler and Mark Holden videos held up extremely well though in quality.

Probably a little bit Michael - I remember the Bay City Rollers clip also being fairly grainy. The Bonnie and Mark Holden videos seem to originate from a different segment tape as they are not listed in the one at the top of the page. I think the Essex clip was shot with a grainy, dark feel about it anyway.

Who is going to put and upload the full version of David Essex's City Lights promo film on YouTube? I've been looking for it on the same site.

Brett (2)
Actually I dont know why they just dont play the whole segment tape - I just noticed another couple of rare things in there - although we have a copy of the original clip of Billy Ocean "Love Really Hurts Without You" (from the Top 100 1976) it is edited of course - the full version would be great.

Hi Hoin - that is very interesting about "Gonna Make You A Star" - now that I remember the local version did edit that line out. This did not worry them in the UK - I even have a a version on Top Of the Pops where Paul McCartney & Wings do the "I Dont think So" part. Will be good to see that film clip again - I think it may have been shown in the past but not very often.

G'day Brett

What does the original video for Billy Ocean look like. There is an official one on you tube but it is from Musikladen, so I doubt that would be the original official one?

Thanks mate

Nicholas
Who is going to put and upload the full version of David Essex's City Lights promo film on YouTube? I've been looking for it on the same site.

Yes, I checked YouTube a few hours ago to see if it has been uploaded yet...nothing!

The "City Lights" promo was interesting -very dark and certainly cutting edge for the time. "Gonna Make You A Star" was fun too,one of my fave 70's songs and hadn't heard it for ages. Wonder what David Essex is up to these days?

And what about the Alvin Stardust video! Sooo gloriously 80's

Lee
Brett (2)

G'day Brett

What does the original video for Billy Ocean look like. There is an official one on you tube but it is from Musikladen, so I doubt that would be the original official one?

Thanks mate

Hi Lee - the original video was actually played (in part) on an old Rage show back in the 90s as part of Retro Season - it was one of a series of Countdown episodes from January 1977 featuring the Top 100 of 1976 which does exist. It is not the whole song though. It features Billy singing with a mic and two Jamaican ladies in the background swinging their behinds in time to the music - another famous Countdown-played clip of 1976 which turned the song into a major hit.

Nicholas

I could rip a clean mpeg2 copy of the song up to my website for download. This should keep everyone out of trouble with the youtube copyright compulsives, and they wouldn't be any compression degradation. I'll wait a few days for a consensus, then upload if need be. :)

I was also worried for Brett that they weren't going to show it. Rages website noted that the program was going to start at midnight, and saw the next morning when taping that it didn't start till 12:30. The first thing I thought was a program error on ABC's behalf, which led to me thinking that the first thing that Rage would cut out are the video clips, including the David Essex one to trim the program down to six hours. But glad I was so wrong.

I can try uploading it to youtube maybe in the next week or so, if it's not already there.

Brett (2)
And what a thrill it is that Rage are finally showing this incredible film clip of David Essex "City Lights" for the first time in nearly 37 years on Australian TV. As I mentioned, the film clip is the full album version of the song that runs for 6 1/2 minutes. I am absolutely speechless.

Likewise...I was (and still am) gobsmacked by this event. For me, rage screening this impossibly rare film-clip, in its entirity, counts as being one of the most amazing things I have ever seen on rage.

I've probably watched it a dozen times since and have had David's Greatest Hits cd on repeat for the last couple of days. As Brett has described, seeing this again has evoked all sorts of emotional responses in me too. I was only ever aware of David Essex in my peripheral at the time. I was very young and my love affair with music was only just beginning. I was in love with ABBA, Olivia and Sherbet, but whenever David was on tv or the radio I always enjoyed it. "City Lights" though had a lingering effect. It was, and still is, so ominous and "dangerous"...and absolutely unlike anything else at the time. Even though the clip, when seen through adult eyes, is very simple, it fitted the song perfectly and really complimented the mood of it. It's so gritty and dark, dirty and scary and reflects what was such a terribly bleak and depressed time in the U.K. when it was made. It captures an entire era and was very groundbreaking when it was released. No doubt there are many who will see it and scratch their head as to why some of us are so excited to see it again...but there's a lot to it for those of us who were affected by it at the time.

Likewise I want to thank all those who collectively rallied and petitioned rage to show it. We did good...and it's another example of how receptive rage is to constructive feedback and requests. We are very very fortunate indeed to be able to interact with rage in the way that we can, and that they are open to communicating with us, when they really don't have to be at all. I am grateful and I don't take it for granted. Thank you rage

I first heard this song as a 16 year old in 1976. At the time I didn't like it, I thought it dragged on for too long and wasn't commercial enough.

During the early 2000s - when all of David's 1970s records had long been deleted and his only available CDs were of newer stuff - I found the Out On the Streets LP at Trash and Treasure, bought it and played it. The foldout cover contained lyrics and when City Lights came on I couldn't believe it. I thought it was great and played it over and over.

It seems to be a very adult song - "Church steeple crippled in the city", "Take me to your car, drink me to your bar" - and I'm surprised David's young fans at the time bought it.

Of course with the advent of the Internet we were able to finally get David's 1970s albums on CD from overseas sites such as GEMM and Amazon. He really was an understated talent. Written off as a teen pretty boy at the time his songs stand up well today and it is little wonder he is regarded as one of the great British singers and entertainers.

Hi Abbaluke and Hoin - I totally agree with you both there on all your observations. The film clip for "City Lights" actually does fit the tone of the song perfectly although I was probably a bit young to realise it at the time. It was a total departure from material that he released both before and after this track (eg Hold Me Close, Coming Home etc). He certainly had a lot of material that sold extremely well and definitely an under-stated talent. Good to see he is finally getting some recognition now as one of the great British talents.

It was a surprise that this track did so well in the charts in Australia in 1976 - I think the exposure on Countdown had plenty to do with it. A lot of artists including the likes af Abba can thank Countdown for much of their success and the exposure that showing those iconic film clips achieved for them in Australia at the time. They were great times to grow up and be involved in the music scene - I feel sorry for the kids of today and what they are exposed to.

Here's a warning to anybody considering uploading the City Lights clip to YouTube. I tried to upload it to my Facebook page and I immediately received a message saying that the clip had been removed due to copyright violation, and if I did it again my account would be closed down. Don't try it.

Copyright crap on You Tube makes me SOOOOO angry, it's RIDICULOUS!

And BELIEVE ME, You Tube DON'T mess around. When they shut you down THEY SHUT YOU DOWN!

Jason 'The Moderator'
Copyright crap on You Tube makes me SOOOOO angry, it's RIDICULOUS!

And BELIEVE ME, You Tube DON'T mess around. When they shut you down THEY SHUT YOU DOWN!

You should try my multiple account strategy then, with a smaller number of vids (I usually stick to 20) on each channel. I've been doing it since Oct 2009, when my last account suspension occurred (losing about 440 videos). So far, I haven't lost another account, despite over 550 videos. I've had a couple of copyright strikes - the most was 2 on one channel, but they expire after 6 months... so as long as you don't get a 3rd in that time, you're safe. Videos being blocked doesn't count as a strike, it's only when the copyright holder has requested that the video is removed that it counts. If I'd stuck with having only one channel, I would have been suspended, losing all of my videos, again about 18 months ago.

The main downside of having multiple accounts though is that none receives quite the same number of views/traffic as before, and you have to log into every single one to check messages/comments etc. I check mine once a week currently, but it still takes a while logging into nearly 30 accounts. I tag all of my uploads with ohnoitisnathan though, to help people find them, and use the channel linking function on each channel page so users can find my other accounts.

What pi$$es me off most about youtube though, is when people re-upload 'my' videos (with a file saved from playing one of my vids), especially if theirs ends up getting more views/a higher placing on the search results. The re-uploaded videos usually play at a lower resolution than my original file - what is the point?! Occasionally they stretch a 4:3 video to fit the full 16:9 screen too - how can anyone possibly think distorting the picture makes it look better? Also I hate how several of my videos mysteriously disappear from the search results, sometimes never to be seen again (although occasionally they re-surface after a few months).

It does suck. I hate the ads that pop up every 15 mins or so when watching a video. Bring back the days of 2006! I don't have a YouTube account and never will, I haven't even signed up. Everything's commercialised today esp. the last 5 years. Look at Australia Day now for example. The cheapie shops/supermarkets now dedicate merchandise for it and it's a day where they can capitalise on it now and make a buck...Sorry, I got a bit of track here! Oh yeah, and if you don't have a BBQ on Australia day, well then you're not Australian. Just another avenue for butchers/supermarkets to sell more meat/make more money....This is so far off the topic of 'David Essex City Lights'.

Michael
It does suck. I hate the ads that pop up every 15 mins or so when watching a video.

Just install an ad blocker program. I browse with Firefox, and installed Firefox Ad Block (I think that was the name of the program) a month or so again, and now I don't get ANY of the ads or pop-ups on youtube.

Someone has uploaded the City Lights video to YouTube and it is showing up in the search engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guk3l8UJoAI

As far as copyright is concerned, it seems to have earned an amber copyright strike: ie: the uploader being allowed to keep it up but with advertising banners because a Kogan ad was on the bottom of the screen when I watched it.

ohnoitisnathan
Michael
It does suck. I hate the ads that pop up every 15 mins or so when watching a video.

Just install an ad blocker program. I browse with Firefox, and installed Firefox Ad Block (I think that was the name of the program) a month or so again, and now I don't get ANY of the ads or pop-ups on youtube.

Brett (2)
shotlist: STORAGE TAPE 2A:;00.07, FF#1, BE BOP DELUXE - "SHIPS IN THE NIGHT"(DUR 3:34);03.43 FF#2, WALKER BROS - "THE SUN AIN'T GONNA SHINE ANYMORE"(DUR 3:00);06.48 FF#3, SHERBET - "LADY OF THE NIGHT"(DUR 4:02);10.54 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "TRACKS OF MY TEARS"(DUR3:03);14.02 FF#4, JOHN SEBASTIAN - "WELCOME BACK"(DUR 2:48);18.02 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "HEATWAVE"(DUR 2:36);20.42 SUPERTRAMP - "LADY"(DUR 3:38);25.32 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GET RIGHT BACK"(DUR 3:38);28.42 FF#3, GALLAGHER & LYLE - "I WANNA STAY WITH YOU"(DUR 3:18);32.02 FF#5, JOHN PAUL YOUNG - "I HATE THE MUSIC"(DUR 3:45);35.54 FF#1, EAGLES - "DIVELLIN' DALTONS"(DUR 5:54);41.51 FF#3, DARYL BRAITHWAITE - "TIME"(DUR 2:44);44.37 FF#2, DAVID ESSEX - "CITY LIGHTS"(DUR 6:26);51.23 FF#3, AC/DC - "JAIL BREAK"(DUR 4:25);55.49 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "CRAZY"(DUR 3:25);59.18 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG - "DARKTOWN STRUTTERS BALL";1.02.46 BREAKER - (MAP OF AUSTRALIA, NO VO)(DUR 0:17);1.03.07 FF#6, BILLY OCEAN - "LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU"(DUR 2:25);1.06.05 FF#7, LITTLE RIVER BAND (AKA LRB) - "EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE"(DUR 3:42);1.09.51 FF#1, BELLAMY BROS - "LET YOUR LOVE FLOW"(DUR 3:05);1.12.57 FF#8, BAY CITY ROLLERS - "LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU"(DUR 3:07);1.16.05 FF#9, ERIC CARMEN - "ALL BY MYSELF"9DUR 4:29);1.22,00 FF#3, SHERBET - "DANCER"(DUR 3:23);1.25.25 FF#3, SHERBET - "HOWZAT" LIVE PERFORMANCE (DUR 3:42);1.29.19 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GOTTA BE THE ONE"(DUR 2:54); ;STORAGE TAPE 2B:;1.32.11 FF#7 SUPERNAUT - "I LIKE IT BOTH WAYS"(DUR 3:35);1.36.35 FF#10, ABBA - "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY"(DUR 3:06);1.39.46 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "JAMAICA RUM"(DUR 2:36);1.42.25 FF#11, JON ENGLISH - "HOLLYWOOD 7"(DUR 3:55);1.46.22 FF#1, FOX (AKA NOOSHA FOX) - "SSSSINGLE BED"(DUR 3:53);1.50.18 FF#1, SAILOR - "GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS"(DUR 2:57);1.53.18 FF#7, CLIFF RICHARD - "DEVIL WOMEN"(DUR 3:38);1.57.00 FF#12, BRIAN FERRY - "LET'S STICK TOGETHER"(DUR 2:59);2.00.00 FF#10, ABBA - "DANCING QUEEN"(DUR 3:45);2.03.48 FF#7, TAVARES - "HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL"(DUR 3:23);2.07.11, FF#10, STARLAND VOCAL BAND - "AFTERNOON DELIGHT"(DUR 3:02);2.10.15 FF#13, THE MANHATTANS - "KISS AND SAY GOODBYE"(DUR 4:25)

Just reposting the full details of that segment tape again which has now been used for a few clips we have seen this summer.

So far we have seen these clips off the tape

1. Supertramp - Lady
2. Bay City Rollers - Love Me Like I Love You
3. Jon English - Hollywood Seven (Countdown clip)
4. Fox - SSSS Single Bed (previously Rage has only used the one shown in the Countdown Top 100 of 1976 episode)
5. Sailor - Girls Girls Girls

And about to come

6. David Essex - City Lights

There are some other really rare clips in that list - Maxine Nightingale "Gotta Be The One" and Gallagher & Lyle "I Wanna Stay With You" are also ones seldom seen since they charted in 1976.

Wouldnt it be fantastic as somebody else.
suggested that they just push play and played the whole thing.
Who found out that they had this storage tape??And how??

I used to work in a hifi/record shop around 1975 1976 so I had or saw lots of lps and 45's from around this time.Including the Albums from Mr Essex.

I have also seen him perform on you tube in later years and I can tell you I did not recognize him.Gone was his long black hair and cute face instead he is a balding,beared grey haired older gent.I had to look closely to see it was him.

Ah the ravages of time.

Have only just caught up with this wonderful clip as I've been away.

Wow! Haven't heard or thought of this song since it first came out all those years ago.
Brought the memories flooding back -always loved this song and clip.
What a gorgeous looking man David Essex was back then with his long, wavy dark hair and the most lovely "twinkling" blue eyes.

No wonder all the teenage girls went ga- ga for him! (Actually heard he was a sex addict for quite a while in his heyday...no wonder with so many women apparently "throwing themselves" at him).

Yeah, I have also seen recent clips and pics of him and as others have commented, I could barely recognise him...such a shame but guess age catches up with the best of us.
Though he still looks pretty good for his age...

Also enjoyed Gonna Make you A Star though it's been on earlier in the year.

Hope Rage can also dig up Rock On and Rolling Stone and play them sometime.

Gary
The "City Lights" promo was interesting -very dark and certainly cutting edge for the time. "Gonna Make You A Star" was fun too,one of my fave 70's songs and hadn't heard it for ages. Wonder what David Essex is up to these days?

And what about the Alvin Stardust video! Sooo gloriously 80's

Think Alvin was well and truly past his use by date at this stage.

Pretty lame compared to his earlier clips.. would be a real treat if Rage could dig up Alvin in all his sleazy, tacky 70s glory, singing My Coo ca choo or Jealous Mind to play sometime soon.