Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Retro Week 3

Something similar happens with early Doctor Who episodes as the storage film is around the 12 and a half minute mark, so each episode is on two reels (of film not of the band variety) per episode each.

Patrick
This has probably been answered several times before but do all episodes of Rock Arena still survive? Wouldn't mind seeing some of the very early episodes at least....

Good question. I think they do but most have not been entered into the TARA archives (similar to Countdown Revolution). That is the only show I really don't know about - in regards to what exists - where I am interested. I will get in contact with ABC Sales and see if they sell those runsheets. I should also ask regarding Countdown Friday (1982) and Countdown Flipside (1983) episodes. I've got a few of those but would be good to know what there is.

They showed a lot of concerts in the early episodes of Rock Arena, I think they were trying to be a show similar to Seven's Nightmoves. The first episode was shown on Rage in 2011 (Feb 23 1982 episode) and it was a Kinks concert from 1979. In 1983-84 they were more clips and once Suzanne got there they showed a mixture of clips and especially recorded live performances.

In 1986 I think TV stations were recording onto 1 inch tape as opposed to the earlier 2 inch format, and this allowed for longer recording and playback times, certainly not shorter. The part 1 and part 2 is probably written up that way for the rage website template for the 6.00am slot and may not have been possible to make a template for 5.30am and as Patrick said, only split for timing purposes (which would probably be the start time or slightly after for this countdown episode). Unless they were using extremely short tapes for this episode and as previously mentioned was spread over two tapes. I do remember reading somewhere a few years ago one 1970's episode had a black section in the middle of it as the tape for it had literally been cut in half - maybe this episode suffered the same fate.

In any case, the mystery will be solved as soon as their official playlists are up, and of course shortly afterwards the individual timings listing I'll put up.

Patrick
Yes strange about Countdowns part 1 and 2....but I assume that is just for timing purposes as surely the last Countdown of the evening would start at 5.30am or thereabouts.

Must admit to not being terribly excited about the Rock Arenas this year.....I much prefer ones from 1982/83....although not sure if many exist from that era or not. I know some 83 ones have been shown but not nearly enough - at least not for me!

I am not too excited either!

Jason, at least you can go to bed an hour earlier re 16/11/86 episode.

No, I won't go to bed as it's Countdown, just an Episode to not pay too much attention to like the 1983 HEAVENLY one

Rage's retro clip selection before 10:30 this Saturday morning is so lazy! All are clips they've played several times over the last few years.

JOE JACKSON Steppin' Out
ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK Enola Gay
CAMEO Word Up

Considering that they had to drop some items due adjusted times you would think they could have axed those common clips and kept in the Sherbet item.

EXACTLY Guru, rage are a very ODD bunch!

ohnoitisnathan
Rage's retro clip selection before 10:30 this Saturday morning is so lazy! All are clips they've played several times over the last few years.

Even worse - no Flashez

I'll be requesting non-interview Flashez segments for 2014 There's hundreds of them - stop being stingy!

The Rolling Stones, Beach Boys & 2 of The Who's videos airing on Saturday morning were ALSO repeats! How lazy of Rage. Surely they could find *something* else in the vault to air instead?

Spot on Nathan - there are still plenty of great unseen 1970s original promo clips on that storage tape that still need airing for a start!! They may still show some more next week - we need to get on the case on Rages facebook page now!! More stuff like Bonnie Tyler and Mark Holden would be very much appreciated!!

Brett (2)
Spot on Nathan - there are still plenty of great unseen 1970s original promo clips on that storage tape that still need airing for a start!! They may still show some more next week - we need to get on the case on Rages facebook page now!! More stuff like Bonnie Tyler and Mark Holden would be very much appreciated!!

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling that Rage will play Triple J Hottest 100 clips from previous years in the 10:30-11:30 slot this coming Saturday morning, given that it will technically be a 'preview' of Satuday night's Rage. Also, they may not feel the need for another hour of retro if they're already filling (hopefully) most of Friday night's playlist with retro stuff. Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they bump retro stuff for Saturday morning, in keeping with their Triple J >>>>>> anything else mode of operation.