Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NO RETRO 4 on JANUARY 26th!

It says on the rage website that on Saturday January 26th there will be triple j's Hottest 100 2012??? Where has retro 4 gone???

I am NOT happy!!!

Re: NO RETRO 4 on JANUARY 26th!

Well, that's ****.
Ripped off bigtime!!

Didn't they do this once before? I remember being very dissapointed about it then.

Jason 'The Moderator'
It says on the rage website that on Saturday January 26th there will be triple j's Hottest 100 2012??? Where has retro 4 gone???

I am NOT happy!!!

They had retro on the 26th on the website a couple of days ago. It had the February 2ns as TBC, what in the heck is going on?

Surely it is a mistake

Yes they have done this before - although I think it was more those moronic "Big Day Out" Specials that used to intrude into January - and more recently they have been leaving that inane piece of garbage called the Triple J Top 100 till early February - why they have to cut into Retro season I have absolutely no idea - but no amount of complaining this end is going to change their minds so only 3 weeks to look forward to this year - unless they do make the 1st week of February another retro week to make up for this. It is a long shot but it has happened once before (2001 or 2002 maybe?) so there is a precedent.

If there is enough of an outcry about this you never know - people it is time to get onto Facebook and the message board now. I will convey my thoughts on that inane brain-dead rubbish they call the Triple J Hottest 100 right now. And dont get me started on that drivel they call the Big Day Out Specials. Still, as 48 of Rages 52 weeks are drivel then why not have 49 weeks instead. Back to sleep for another 11 months and one week after the 19th January by the look of it.

Lee
Jason 'The Moderator'

I am NOT happy!!!

They had retro on the 26th on the website a couple of days ago. It had the February 2ns as TBC, what in the heck is going on?

Surely it is a mistake

They have made mistakes like this before Lee so we can only hope!! Nothing would surprise me with the ABC or Rage though - they have an unnatural obsession with this BDO and Triple J "alternative" crap that appeals to about 1% of the population.

It is sadly not a mistake - but the good news is they are playing Countdown episodes on Friday 25th now - just saw the postings on facebook - some of us are already on the case so great work guys and gals!!

NOT GREAT!

The fact is, they shouldn't be changing s h i t around like they always do in January! I for one have HAD IT with rage!

I have a dj gig on the Friday night which means now I am s c r e w e d !

Rage do not place high priority on this Retro month thing and Countdown - they have always placed far greater emphasis on their audience that is into the alternative music scene - whether that be Triple j Top 100, BDO specials or whatever. They always conveniently overlook the simple fact Rage gets its highest audience figures in January than any other month of the year - ooh I forgot - no ratings in January.

It is a pain in the **** - Friday night is not a great viewing night for many of us, but I am sure many of us in here will be happy to arrange you a copy Jason if you cannot watch or tape it on the night. The benefit maybe an earlier start time also - although they will probably still do their usual playlist of pure crap for a large portion of the night as well.

I can record it but that's not the point.

i ALWAYS watch live! And the other FACT is that it's so disrespectful and UN PROFESSIONAL that it's ALWAYS January month that has to be shifted, cut or any other STUFF UP'S!

Retro should move to ABC3.

ABC 3 is down from 9PM to 6AM (9 hours) so it won't be affected by any late night programming changes anyhow, or repeated dramas as per this year. So for January Saturdays surely it can be done for 4 or 5 weeks - depending on number of Saturdays. They have to broadcast a useless message anyway saying they will be back at 6AM so they may as well broadcast something useful.

Most of the music programs up to the 80's were targeted at kids anyhow so it would still fit in with the child friendly format.

Bloody hell

No doubt they're synchronising the two to coincide with the 'Hottest 100' airing on Australia day as it usually does from memory...

Although they've got TBC for the two weekends afterwards, so hopefully they do retro for at least one of those weeks to make up for it. Still, not happy about it.

Brett (2)
Nothing would surprise me with the ABC or Rage though - they have an unnatural obsession with this BDO and Triple J "alternative" crap that appeals to about 1% of the population.

Soooooo true, unfortunately

I really REALLY despise how all this JJJ/BDO crap has intruded into the retro season. The fans of that crap get it all year long anyway - how about they leave January JUST for Countdown and shows up to 1988ish...and NO Nick Cave!!

Guru Bob
Retro should move to ABC3.

ABC 3 is down from 9PM to 6AM (9 hours) so it won't be affected by any late night programming changes anyhow, or repeated dramas as per this year. So for January Saturdays surely it can be done for 4 or 5 weeks - depending on number of Saturdays. They have to broadcast a useless message anyway saying they will be back at 6AM so they may as well broadcast something useful.

Most of the music programs up to the 80's were targeted at kids anyhow so it would still fit in with the child friendly format.

That sir, is a bloody GOOD idea. it might even get other kids into countdown!!

rage are complete ass holes for doing this. Yes, we still get it the night before on a Friday night but that is NOT the point!

An alternative night would NEVER get changed for a retro night YET January's ALWAYS get stuffed around for other events and I for one have had ENOUGH of it!

Why can't they show Hottest 100 on Friday night? (technically it's 26/1 for most of it). I know what Jason means, watching retro LIVE is what makes it. So ****** that it starts at 1am.

Michael
Why can't they show Hottest 100 on Friday night? (technically it's 26/1 for most of it).

I guess because the Hottest 100 countdown doesn't air until Saturday itself, and airing it early on Rage would ruin the 'surprise' for anyone having a "Hottest 100 party".

Even when I did listen to JJJ, the hottest 100 was always pretty $hit, well definitely the upper half of it, IMO.

I agree, watching retro live makes it exciting. I don't know if I can be ar$ed sitting up until 2 to start watching Countdown this weekend... might just go to bed and watch the next day.

The JJJ Top 100 has always been complete $hit - not just the upper half. Same with the BDO specials. Why they perservere with this crap I have no idea but dont try and tell me they get a large audience for these exercises in tedium. What really does change year-after-year in this so-called "Top 100" - what moron would go and buy these totally irrelevant CD's and DVD's that come with all this, and how many votes do you need to reach position No. 100 in this mind boggling "chart" that no-one in their right mind would give a flying f**k about anyway. It is a bit like having to contend with the tedium of these boring 50-over games of cricket - outdated concept, no-one attends but we go through the motions just to appease the greedy tv networks. Interest level = 0

Still no mention of any Rec-crapery or 1030 slop for what they deem as "retro" so maybe they are saving it all for this last Friday night. Let us hope not.

A "Hottest 100 party" - ha ha ha ha ha ha. 99 of the songs and artists are things 99% of the population have never heard of - that would be some party. I would have to be totally drunk or stoned out of my mind to attend such a gathering although that is probably a prequisite for the attendees of these
"parties" and the type of people into the sort of music that makes this so-called "chart".Still, Rage has always been an "alternative" music show so this is the way it will always be.

ohnoitisnathan
Michael
Why can't they show Hottest 100 on Friday night? (technically it's 26/1 for most of it).

I guess because the Hottest 100 countdown doesn't air until Saturday itself, and airing it early on Rage would ruin the 'surprise' for anyone having a "Hottest 100 party".

Even when I did listen to JJJ, the hottest 100 was always pretty $hit, well definitely the upper half of it, IMO.

I agree, watching retro live makes it exciting. I don't know if I can be ar$ed sitting up until 2 to start watching Countdown this weekend... might just go to bed and watch the next day.

Nathan, I might be living under a rock when it comes to this s h i t, but are you telling me that they air the Top 100 on Triple J and then air it again in video format on rage the same day? Far out!

I bought Triple J Hottest 100 Vol.6 years ago, trying to be hip (LOL), played it once and got rid of it. I must admit 'I Don't Like It' by Pauline Pantsdown was half the reason for buying it.

Being that it is Retro month and has been 20 years this year since Rage started retro month back in 1993.

If the Rage team had brains why don't they make Friday nights retro as well during January.

Surely they can leave out the latest releases for one month only each year so us retro fans can at least have double the pleasure on weekends as Saturday nights is not enough.

Just a thought!

There's not many new releases in January, which is why Countdown (now 'retro' month) started.

Michael

Nathan, I might be living under a rock when it comes to this s h i t, but are you telling me that they air the Top 100 on Triple J and then air it again in video format on rage the same day? Far out!

Yes! Although normally Rage airs it a week or 2 later. The last Hottest 100 I listened to was in 1998, about 6 months after JJJ had reached its use-by date with me. That chart was the final nail in the coffin. Only about 10-15 of the songs on the list were songs I liked from that year. There were only literally about 5-8 songs with female vocals in the whole 100 list, too!

Michael

I bought Triple J Hottest 100 Vol.6 years ago, trying to be hip (LOL), played it once and got rid of it. I must admit 'I Don't Like It' by Pauline Pantsdown was half the reason for buying it.

Ha ha, that was one of the songs I 'liked' from the countdown.

JJJ is something you listen to when you're in first year uni and think you're all grown up, but you haven't really

I'm into my 3rd year at Uni (part-time). I should be into this ****, as my peers probably are.

Michael
I'm into my 3rd year at Uni (part-time). I should be into this ****, as my peers probably are.

That would suck (having such peers)