Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost 70's countdown

I was inquiring since most of 1977/1978 episodes were wiped. on Youtube they have countdown at the movie Premiere of Grease. Molly talks to Olivia, John Tavolta and Andy Gibb. The interview is about 10 mins.

Re: Lost 70's countdown

That comes from an off air recording that was recovered (in Queensland I believe) from an old video tape. It is apparently the July 16 1978 episode. I think Troy had something to do with finding it and he handed a copy over to the ABC but it is not in broadcast quality so unfortunately it won't get aired.

I got a copy of it years ago by accident via this site. A guy named Jan in Poland left a message on this forum in around 2005 asking if anyone had a copy of a Suzi Quatro hosted Countdown that he was after. I may have been the only person who responded to his request for help. He said he had a lot of music items that he was happy to trade. It was mostly 60's and 70's artists and European music shows of the era - not what I was after but very impressive in quantity. In amongst it all was this Countdown episode that I had not heard of so I asked for that as a trade. It has obviously been widely traded if people overseas have copies.

The playlist of that episode hosted by Jon English is:
Graham Bonnet - Warm Ride (video) - apparently extremely rare clip
Genesis - Follow You, Follow Me (video)
Flash & The Pan - Down Among The Dead Men (video)
Russell Morris - On The Wings Of An Eagle (live)
Angels - Take A Long Line (live)
The Clouds/Clowns? - Marion (live) - couldn't make out the band name when it was announced, a Perth band that don't appear in my reference book.
Frankie Valli - Grease theme
Humdrum - Grease premiere/John Farrer interview
Bryan Ferry - What Goes On? (clip) - only a guess, I didn't know the song
John English - Words Are Not Enough (live)
No1 Boney M - Rivers Of Babylon

I've only got about a 6th generation copy with some pixelation caused by scratches on the disc (Jan wasn't too quality conscious).

Re: Lost 70's countdown

Guru Bob
That comes from an off air recording that was recovered (in Queensland I believe) from an old video tape. It is apparently the July 16 1978 episode. I think Troy had something to do with finding it and he handed a copy over to the ABC but it is not in broadcast quality so unfortunately it won't get aired.

I got a copy of it years ago by accident via this site. A guy named Jan in Poland left a message on this forum in around 2005 asking if anyone had a copy of a Suzi Quatro hosted Countdown that he was after. I may have been the only person who responded to his request for help. He said he had a lot of music items that he was happy to trade. It was mostly 60's and 70's artists and European music shows of the era - not what I was after but very impressive in quantity. In amongst it all was this Countdown episode that I had not heard of so I asked for that as a trade. It has obviously been widely traded if people overseas have copies.

The playlist of that episode hosted by Jon English is:
Graham Bonnet - Warm Ride (video) - apparently extremely rare clip
Genesis - Follow You, Follow Me (video)
Flash & The Pan - Down Among The Dead Men (video)
Russell Morris - On The Wings Of An Eagle (live)
Angels - Take A Long Line (live)
The Clouds/Clowns? - Marion (live) - couldn't make out the band name when it was announced, a Perth band that don't appear in my reference book.
Frankie Valli - Grease theme
Humdrum - Grease premiere/John Farrer interview
Bryan Ferry - What Goes On? (clip) - only a guess, I didn't know the song
John English - Words Are Not Enough (live)
No1 Boney M - Rivers Of Babylon

I've only got about a 6th generation copy with some pixelation caused by scratches on the disc (Jan wasn't too quality conscious).

I will probably be able to help you there with a slightly better one Gurubob although mine is probably still 4th generation. Still a little bit of picture and color drop-out - a pity as it is a great episode. Troy did send a copy to the ABC but it will never be transmitted due to the low generation. The original was taped on a Beta videotape (in Queensland from what the word is) but from what I can gather it too is not in good condition - and copies were made well prior to the days of DVD-quality copying so each video copy is progressively one generation worse than that which preceded it. A far greater effort should have been made at the time to trace and recover the source tape but it would be far too late now.

Considering this is one of only two officially missing 1970s episodes ever recovered on domestic videotape (the other being July 1977 also hosted by Jon English and shown on Rage a few years back as it was considered to be of transmission quality (just). Due to the fact this 1978 episode has circulated around the world, not to mention a myriad of other great 60s and 70s Australian material as well - later and more recent Australian music recoveries that I have been involved in have had to be held back from being seen by anyone which has caused some consternation in some collectors circles but it is necessary in order to retain some type of credibility.