Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Popswops cards

Scanlen's Popswops issued in 1977 featuring Australian artists who all appeared on Countdown at various stages.

An unopened pack

Photobucket

The full set consisted of:
1 Marcia Hines - Statuesque
2 Marcia Hines - Elegant
3 Marcia Hines - Casual
4 Marcia Hines - Thoughtful
5 John Paul Young - Daydreaming
6 John Paul Young - At Home
7 John Paul Young - Live
8 John Paul Young - Live Again
9 Punksz - Rollin' around
10 Punkz - Lee Emmet
11 Punkz - Robin Jackson
12 Punkz
13 Punkz - Dastardly!!
14 TMG - Formal
15 TMG - Decidedly informal
16 TMG - Backstage
17 TMG - Ted with Sherbet's Garth
18 TMG - Gary onstage
19 TMG - Les onstage
20 TMG - Ted Mulry
21 TMG - Gary Dixon
22 TMG - Les Hall
23 TMG - Herm Kovacs
24 AC/DC - In surgery!
25 AC/DC - Streetlife
26 AC/DC - The Old Days
27 AC/DC - Coming home
28 AC/DC - Bon Scott
29 AC/DC - Angus Young
30 AC/DC - Mark Evans
31 AC/DC - Malcolm Young
32 AC/DC - Phil Rudd
33 AC/DC - Angus Again
34 Mark Holden - Nature Boy
35 Mark Holden - Concert 'n' Carnations
36 Mark Holden - Elegant Splendour
37 Mark Holden - Keeping Fit
38 Sherbet - The Conquerers Return
39 Sherbet - Pin-up Boys
40 Sherbet - In England
41 Sherbet - Concert Power
42 Sherbet - Daryl, Garth & Harvey
43 Sherbet - Tony Mitchell
44 Sherbet - Harvey James
45 Sherbet - Alan Sandow
46 Sherbet - Garth Porter
47 Sherbet - Daryl Braithwaite
48 Supernaut
49 Supernaut - Gary Twinn
50 Supernaut - Phil Foxman
51 Supernaut - Chris Burnham
52 Supernaut - Joe Burnham
53 Ol '55 - Explosive
54 Ol '55 - Jimmy Live
55 Ol '55 - Frankie J. Holden
56 Ol '55 - Rockpile Jones
57 Ol '55 - Geoff Peterkin
58 Ol '55 - Wilbur Wilde (Wild Kingdom)
59 Ol '55 - Patrick Drummond
60 Ol '55 - Jimmy Manzie
61 Ol'55 - Storming The Stage
62 Ol '55 - Clowning
63 Skyhooks - Live
64 Skyhooks - Welcome Back
65 Skyhooks - Bongo Starr
66 Skyhooks - Shirley Strachan
67 Skyhooks - Greg Macainsh
68 Skyhooks - Freddie Strauks
69 Skyhooks - Bob Spencer
70 Skyhooks - Camoflaged
71 Skyhooks - Contemplating
72 Skyhooks - Takin' It To The Streets

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Popswops cards

These are great, Guru.

Mark Holden's are priceless.

"Nature Boy" and "Mr Elegant Splendour" indeed... Gloriously kitch.

You should contact the producers of Ch.10 'Puberty Blues'. They could use these cards as a prop in the upcoming 2nd series (since these were released in 1977!)

You say it's an unopened pack. Does it still have the bubble gum? LOL. Did Countdown/ABC in any way receive money from the sale of this product?

Christina
These are great, Guru.

Mark Holden's are priceless.

"Nature Boy" and "Mr Elegant Splendour" indeed... Gloriously kitch.

Just posted the images of the cards as Jason mentioned getting the images a while back when I posted a few in another thread. Just taken a few months to get around to it.

The captions are typical of the period and are similar to what you found on ABBA, King Kong, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind etc. releases in the mid 70's.

Michael
You should contact the producers of Ch.10 'Puberty Blues'. They could use these cards as a prop in the upcoming 2nd series (since these were released in 1977!)

You say it's an unopened pack. Does it still have the bubble gum? LOL. Did Countdown/ABC in any way receive money from the sale of this product?

Probably could be a handy prop but they may be too small to have a visual effect on TV.

Yes it still has a stick of bubblgum, you can sort of make it out standing upright on the left side. Not sure what it would look like after 35 years though but wouldn't be surprised if it still appeared alright, those pink sticks are probably indestructible. As a kid I used to love the smell of cardboard and bubblegum as I opened those packs.

The cards were produced by Scanlens in conjunction with Glen A. Baker and were not associated with Countdown or the ABC so they wouldn't have gotten anything. Glen was manager of Punkz at the time so that is why they appear rather than Dragon or Split Enz - it was probably a manager's marketing exercise.

I can picture Debbie's little brother playing with them at the kitchen table while eating breakfast and a camera close up of them and a few comments thrown in. Geez, maybe I should be a Director or script writer? I hired the 'Puberty Blues' DVD (which has just been released) at the local video shop as there is a good 45 minutes footage of behind the scenes etc and it's very interesting and shows how it all came together, the props, ideas etc.

I loved Puberty Blues - definitely my favourite telly show of the year by far.

Young David was such a character and both the girls were fantastic, as were the supporting cast, esp Sue's mum and dad played by Susie POrter and Dan Wylie.

Everything about this show was spot on - the fashion, the decor, the attitudes, the language, the music and the atmosphere.

Really hope there is a second season..

Agree. With all the junk that's on TV today, mainly US crime/police/murder/vampire shows, it was great to watch an Australian series that was just about how suburban life was in the late 70's. Initially, I thought just a chick show for teenagers, but I gave it a go esp. with the shows intro 'Are You Old Enough' by Dragon, getting my curiosity.

Yeah, a refreshing change from most of the truly crappy local shows.

So much more than a chick show. I'm curious to find out if Gazza survives his drug addiction.

I remember in the book and the original 1981 movie that he doesn't...

???? I haven't read the book and saw the movie once on TV in the late 90's and paid very little attention - I thought it looked too old.

Yeah, the movie is looking pretty old and a bit dated these days but it is still regarded as a bit of an Aussie film classic and quite an accurate reporesentation of those times.

The current telly series is loosely based on the book and movie, with some similar characters such as Deb's druggo surfer boyfiend who originally dies of a heroin overdose.
Have a feeling he may pull through in the telly series though...