Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuzzbox guitarist died

They never had a hit in Oz, but mid-late 80's UK girl group Fuzzbox guitarist Jo Dunne died on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-20109648

I wonder if Rage will air one of their videos as a tribute?

Re: Fuzzbox guitarist died

Fuzzbox were great in their heyday.
Absolutely loved songs like Self ,Love Is The Slug and Irish Bride.

But I doubt that Rage will do any sort of tribute.

I found out on Sunday and I am shocked. Fuzzbox are one of my all time favourite female bands, it;'s tragic she died so young :-( Her solo in SELF was always my fav from her!

Never heard of them, but thanks for the info. I'll check them out on youtube and wikipedia.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Her solo in SELF was always my fav from her!

Well apparently it was Brian May from Queen who really played that solo... but she did a good air-guitar rendition of it in the video

Michael
Never heard of them, but thanks for the info. I'll check them out on youtube and wikipedia.

Rage aired their cover of Yoko Ono's 'Walking On Thin Ice' for the 3rd Wildcard special, in April 2009. They also aired 'Self!' around August 2007 for the 'women with attitude' special.

Self is still one of my all time fave songs and clips.
Yes, love that loud agressive bassline. Didn't realise Brian May did it but yeah, she pulled off a mean air guitar.

Such a sexy, angry, fabulously glam clip.

ohnoitisnathan
Michael

Rage aired their cover of Yoko Ono's 'Walking On Thin Ice' for the 3rd Wildcard special, in April 2009. They also aired 'Self!' around August 2007 for the 'women with attitude' special.

Maybe I was hating rage during these periods or I fast forwarded through it and hit delete. 'Women with attitude' - I don't remember that special.

Christina
Self is still one of my all time fave songs and clips.
Yes, love that loud agressive bassline. Didn't realise Brian May did it but yeah, she pulled off a mean air guitar.

Such a sexy, angry, fabulously glam clip.

Yeah, the 'Self!' video (and song) is amazing. I wasn't actually aware of it until 2007 when it aired on Rage. I remember reading about Fuzzbox in UK pop magazine 'Number One' (similar to Smash Hits but arguably better IMO) and thinking they looked interesting, but never heard one of their songs until catching 'Walking On Thin Ice' randomly on Rage at about 4:30am Saturday morning in late June 1993 (though it was released in 1989, which is odd that it appeared amongst the new release clips then). My VHS tape cut out half way through the song though . Then I heard 'Self!' on Rage 14 years later, spurring me to buy their 'Look At the Hits on That!' CD/DVD compilation.

I did know (and preferred) most of the lower end of the top 100 stuff (and songs that missed it) around 1989, but somehow those Fuzzbox releases completely passed me by. They must have really received ZERO attention/promotion in Oz.

I see the 'Self!' video isn't currently on youtube (other than a sound muted version). Probably a record company claim, I'm guessing, but I might try uploading it on the weekend. It was definitely there in 2007, as I remember looking it up after seeing it on Rage.

Michael

Maybe I was hating rage during these periods or I fast forwarded through it and hit delete. 'Women with attitude' - I don't remember that special.

Here's the link to the special blurb:

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/archive/s2004811.htm

Hi Nathan,
There is a clip for Self on YouTube besides the one with no sound.
Here is the link :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9KUquoLMB4&feature=related

Check out the video for Love is The Slug while you're there - really good catchy song with a great beat. There are some interesting interviews with the girls as well.
A shame you missed out on them in their heyday - I used to listen to 3RRR back then when I lived in Melbourne and they often played Fuzzbox. Rage also quite often played Self and a couple of other clips of theirs in the late 80s.

Judging by their interviews, they sounded like really fun, quirky girls who had a ball playing the clubs in the UK.
Love their sound - they were really unique.

Other great UK bands with girl singers I remember seeing on Rage at that time were The Primitives, Darling Buds, Adult Net and Throwing Muses as well as Australian girl bands, Girl Monstar, The Whippersnappers and Toys Went Berserk.

Also came across a really cool mid 80s UK Goth band with a female singer ,The Skeletal Family, on YouTube while looking for Fuzzbox's videos the other day.
Wasn't familiar with them before now and don't remember ever seeing them played on Rage but they are worth checking out..
Promised Land is one of their best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41AqlPjc-Wc

Love this song and clip - is my new favourite song at the moment ... can see their influence on Toys Went Beserk.

Christine,

I have a vhs which I got on Ebay about 12 years ago with all Japanese and UK Fuzzbox interviews and performances ans it's BRILLIANT. I LOVE their 1986 1st album look when they were fabulously PUNKY and tacks like Love Is The Slug and their cover of Spirit In The Sky :-)

Jason 'The Moderator'
Christine,

I have a vhs which I got on Ebay about 12 years ago with all Japanese and UK Fuzzbox interviews and performances ans it's BRILLIANT. I LOVE their 1986 1st album look when they were fabulously PUNKY and tacks like Love Is The Slug and their cover of Spirit In The Sky :-)

Sounds brilliant, Jason.
Yeah, their first album was the most hard-edged and "punky" before they sold out a bit and polished up their image. Once they lost their "underground" image they lost a lot of their popularity with the original fans.

Loved the mohawks in their early clips.

Have you heard of Anne- Marie Hurst from the Skeletal Family ?
She had great hair as well circa 1984/1985.

ohnoitisnathan
Michael

Here's the link to the special blurb:

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/archive/s2004811.htm

Hi Nathan, thanks for the link - still don't remember it.
Had to laugh at one of the artists on the playlist - Cycle S l u t s from Hell'

Jason 'The Moderator'
Christine,

The 'Love Is the Slug' video, along with all their other music videos, is on the 'Look at the Hits on That!' DVD.

I've got a fan-made NTSC DVD full of Fuzzbox TV appearances/interviews etc. But I'm sad to admit I'm yet to properly watch it . I think I was so dismayed at it being NTSC (esp. considering they had no US success) that I didn't bother with it.

Christina
A shame you missed out on them in their heyday - I used to listen to 3RRR back then when I lived in Melbourne and they often played Fuzzbox. Rage also quite often played Self and a couple of other clips of theirs in the late 80s.

Unfortunately I only watched Rage for the top 50/60 in the late 80s, and so I missed seeing any Fuzzbox videos on Rage at the time.

RRR was a bit ahead of my time then too. My only memory of listening to it was stumbling upon Kraftwerk's 'Musique Non-Stop' on RRR in 1991, and taping it onto cassette because it sounded so amusing.

Unfortunately I only watched Rage for the top 50/60 in the late 80s, and so I missed seeing any Fuzzbox videos on Rage at the time.

RRR was a bit ahead of my time then too. My only memory of listening to it was stumbling upon Kraftwerk's 'Musique Non-Stop' on RRR in 1991, and taping it onto cassette because it sounded so amusing.

Rage was THE best in the late 80s - you missed a lot of great stuff, Nathan.
A shame so many of those clips from back then have now apparently been culled from the Rage library.

Used to love listening to RRR in the late 80s/early 90s - along with watching Rage, I was introduced to so many obscure/underground bands that I would never have known about otherwise.

Had to laugh at one of the artists on the playlist - Cycle S l u t s from Hell'

Aah yes, "Wish You Were a Beer" was the name of that song.
Great clip which was played a fair bit on Rage in the early days and is still occasionally trundled out by a Guest Programmer or for one of their specials...

ohnoitisnathan
Jason 'The Moderator'
Christine,

The 'Love Is the Slug' video, along with all their other music videos, is on the 'Look at the Hits on That!' DVD.

I've got a fan-made NTSC DVD full of Fuzzbox TV appearances/interviews etc. But I'm sad to admit I'm yet to properly watch it . I think I was so dismayed at it being NTSC (esp. considering they had no US success) that I didn't bother with it.

Christina

I have the official cd/dvd Nathan

I tried to create 2 threads on the Rage forum this week, suggesting they air a Fuzzbox video or 2 as a tribute to their guitar player's recent passing. But bizarrely, neither have been published, despite the moderator updating the forum after I tried to create both threads! I wonder what that's about? I've seen plenty of other 'tribute requests' posted on the Rage forum for other artists. It's all very strange.

I tried re-posting the thread after I started the first one on my work computer and thought maybe it didn't show up because it was blocked.

ohnoitisnathan
I tried to create 2 threads on the Rage forum this week, suggesting they air a Fuzzbox video or 2 as a tribute to their guitar player's recent passing. But bizarrely, neither have been published, despite the moderator updating the forum after I tried to create both threads! I wonder what that's about? I've seen plenty of other 'tribute requests' posted on the Rage forum for other artists. It's all very strange.

I tried re-posting the thread after I started the first one on my work computer and thought maybe it didn't show up because it was blocked.

Hi Nathan,
I also posted a suggestion around the 31st of Oct that they air a couple of Fuzzbox clips in tribute to their guitarist on The Rage requests thread.
Like yours, it never appeared, even though posts by other ppl from a later date did.

Hmmm....very suss !

Really poor form and so rude if they just decided to delete them.
It's not like they're run off their feet these days updating posts and requests on the messageboard!

All good... Rage have finally got around to posting those suggestions.
Doubtful we will see a tribute of any kind though..

Christina
All good... Rage have finally got around to posting those suggestions.
Doubtful we will see a tribute of any kind though..

Christina
The people at Rage appear to be thoughtful individuals and I feel that the delay was caused by their unpreparedness (need to locate clip) to play any Fuzzbox last week so they held over the messages.

The only messages they don't seem to post are those that cross the boundaries of decency in communication, after which you could write any amount of letters but will have burnt bridges.

Yours and Nathan's requests were genuine appeals by fans and I am sure they will receive a fair consideration by the programmers - even if some artists have been overlooked in recent times. Maybe I am just an optimist but I feel that the delay in posting the message would be because they are looking to get a clip (or two) available for this week.

I have a copy of the clip Self taped from Rage back in 1989 - I can tell by the large font they used for the artist title plus it was recorded close to when Roxette - The Look was at No1 on the Rage Top 50.

Yours and Nathan's requests were genuine appeals by fans and I am sure they will receive a fair consideration by the programmers - even if some artists have been overlooked in recent times. Maybe I am just an optimist but I feel that the delay in posting the message would be because they are looking to get a clip (or two) available for this week.

Wish I was as optimistic as you, Bob.

But I guess you never know.

Unfortunately most of the current Rage team have probably never even heard of Fuzzbox - no doubt long before their time, so the passing of some unknown guitarist from some long forgotten, shortlived 80s band wouldn't mean all that much to them.

I agree, I didn't even know them!