Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When did you start keeping stuff from Rage?

This topic might have been done before... but I'm interested to see when everyone started keeping stuff from Rage, and have you still got your first/early recordings? Inspired from Jason's post about recording so much from Saturday night Rage in 1987-8.

The first clip I recorded from Rage to keep, from the top 50, was Enya's 'Orinoco Flow' . I then later recorded and kept the top 5 clips of that week. Referring to an online ARIA chart archive, this was on the 4th February 1989.

I've still got this tape, and converted it to DVD some time ago.

I was first conscious of watching Rage, the top 50, when Kylie's 'I Should Be So Lucky' was #1, around March 1988. But for some reason, I'd never thought of recording videos from it until nearly a year later.

Re: When did you start keeping stuff from Rage?

I didn't transfer all my early recordings from rage as I have since got them in better condition, I am now spewing a bit that I got rid of some of the videos as I had Sinitta's 'Toy Boy' from the rage OZ TOP 50 in very Early 1988 and didn't keep it to put onto DVD.

The first video's I recorded from rage in 1987 were Berlin's 'Sex I'm A ....' and Sylvester's 'Rock The Box'

I still do have some of my rage stuff from 1988 which I have put to DVD :-) And some 1987... I also recorded I Should Be So Lucky from the rage OZ TOP 50 and it was on the same tape as Toy Boy! Ha, ha, ha

First clip i recorded from Rage was Fashion by David Bowie in 1987, back in the day when they had large, sometimes coloured font.

Rage had coloured font on a few occasions for the top 50 in 1989. I know they had it the week that New Kids On the Block's 'You Got It (The Right Stuff)' debuted in the top 50

I've gained a few clips recorded from Rage in 1987 though trades, where they just listed the artist and not the title of the song (Samantha Fox's 'Hold On Tight', Kim Wilde's 'Say You Really Want Me' 12" version, and Mel & Kim's 'Showing Out'). I've also got hold of an airing of Bananarama's 'I Want You Back' (version 2) from 1988 where it just lists the artist.

Jason 'The Moderator'
I didn't transfer all my early recordings from rage as I have since got them in better condition, I am now spewing a bit that I got rid of some of the videos as I had Sinitta's 'Toy Boy' from the rage OZ TOP 50 in very Early 1988 and didn't keep it to put onto DVD.

'Toy Boy' spent one week in the top 50 in early 1988 (although a few weeks also at the end of 1987 hovering between #49 and #50), at #49, for the week ending 4th Jan 1988. So your recording must have been from the (Satur)day before this (3rd Jan), as I remember Rage didn't re-air the full top 50 on Sunday morning; only usually from about #30 onwards (at least in 1989 they did this).

This was the top 50 (possibly the first one Rage aired?) for that week, which was actually a repeat of the last top 50 from 1987, as the charts used to take a 1 or 2 week break at Xmas until Xmas 1997:

TW LW Song Titles ARTISTS
4-Jan-88
1 1 Never Gonna Give You Up RICK ASTLEY
2 2 Got My Mind Set on You GEORGE HARRISON
3 3 Faith GEORGE MICHAEL
4 4 Run to Paradise CHOIRBOYS
5 5 Too Much Ain't Enough Love JIMMY BARNES
6 6 Hold Me Now JOHNNY LOGAN
7 7 The Way You Make Me Feel MICHAEL JACKSON
8 8 Need You Tonight INXS
9 9 La Bamba LOS LOBOS
10 10 Mony Mony BILLY IDOL
11 11 Bad MICHAEL JACKSON
12 12 My Obsession ICEHOUSE
13 13 Electric Blue ICEHOUSE
14 14 To Her Door PAUL KELLY & THE COLOURED GIRLS
15 15 We'll Be Together STING
16 16 You Win Again BEE GEES
17 17 Bridge to Your Heart WAX
18 18 Is This Love WHITESNAKE
19 19 Unchain My Heart JOE COCKER
20 20 Do to You MACHINATIONS
21 21 Causing a Commotion MADONNA
22 22 Beethoven (I Love to Listen to) EURYTHMICS
23 23 I Think We're Alone Now TIFFANY
24 24 Come On, Let's Go LOS LOBOS
25 25 Here I Go Again WHITESNAKE
26 26 Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You GLENN MEDEIROS
27 27 The Right Stuff BRYAN FERRY
28 28 Cherry Bomb JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP
29 29 Hammerhead JAMES REYNE
30 30 Old Time Rock and Roll ® BOB SEGER
31 31 Beds are Burning MIDNIGHT OIL
32 32 Pump Up the Volume M.A.R.R.S.
33 33 Little Lies FLEETWOOD MAC
34 34 Locomotion KYLIE MINOGUE
35 35 Adultery DO.RE.MI.
36 36 Back in the USSR BILLY JOEL
37 37 Do You See What I See HUNTERS & COLLECTORS
38 38 Walk the Dinosaur WAS (NOT WAS)
39 39 So Emotional WHITNEY HOUSTON
40 40 Learning to Fly PINK FLOYD
41 41 Celebration DRAGON
42 42 Hold Your Head Up PARTY BOYS
43 43 Crazy Crazy Night KISS
44 44 Dance Little Sister TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY
45 45 Wishing Well TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY
46 46 Let's Dance CHRIS REA
47 47 (I've Had) The Time of My Life BILL MEDLEY & JENNIFER WARNES
48 48 Resurrection Shuffle CATTLETRUCK
49 49 Toy Boy SINITTA
50 50 Skeletons STEVIE WONDER

Can't remember the first clip I recorded, no doubt I taped over that at some stage.

I used to flick between Rage and Night Shift on Channel 10 in the late 80's but didn't often record them. Due to having busy weekends I didn't stay up all night to watch it either as I was usually in bed by 2am. With 20/20 hindsight I should have been recording them all but only have three 3 hour tapes left from the period - one episode of Rage from May 1988 and 2 episodes of Night Shift from 1988 and 1989 respectively.

I have uploaded some rarer clips from those episodes:
Rage 1988
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixHeMICGoYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5stSCRRWSI&list=UUyrv0Hh9wBh1l7kdLMkWDLw&index=4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CR78IPfDsg&feature=BFa&list=UUyrv0Hh9wBh1l7kdLMkWDLw

Night Shift 1989
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JaGTOk0j3U&feature=BFa&list=UUyrv0Hh9wBh1l7kdLMkWDLw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_QDchXoET4&feature=BFa&list=UUyrv0Hh9wBh1l7kdLMkWDLw

I used to like their predecessor, and the pioneering Australian all night video show, John Torv's Music Video on Channel 10 which started in late 1984 (I still have about 1 hour of an episode from Oct 1984 which included a Duran Duran competition and some rare clips from Flotsam Jetsam and Samurai Trash) - it was later hosted by Basia Bonkowski before being axed in early 1987 when it was replaced by Video Hits and Night Shift.

A guy from Italy sent me many clips a while back from the early days of Rage (and latter day Rock Arena). He recorded them when he lived here for a while in the late 80's and loved the Australian independent music scene of bands such as Harem Scarem, Spikes, July 14th, Trilobites, Marigolds, James Baker Experience, Happy Hate Me Nots, The Tripps, Spliffs, Mad Turks From Istanbul, Riptides, Wet Taxis, Exploding White Mice, Huxton Creepers, Screaming Tribesmen and Lime Spiders, which you would only ever really see on Rage as other shows avoided this genre.

ohnoitisnathan
Rage had coloured font on a few occasions for the top 50 in 1989. I know they had it the week that New Kids On the Block's 'You Got It (The Right Stuff)' debuted in the top 50

I've gained a few clips recorded from Rage in 1987 though trades, where they just listed the artist and not the title of the song (Samantha Fox's 'Hold On Tight', Kim Wilde's 'Say You Really Want Me' 12" version, and Mel & Kim's 'Showing Out'). I've also got hold of an airing of Bananarama's 'I Want You Back' (version 2) from 1988 where it just lists the artist.

Ahhh, the days of NO song title. All the videos I recorded on nights on rage NEVER had the song title. From Berlin, Sylvester, Bananarama to Jody Watley. They didn't have any titles. I have Kraftwerk, Bananarama and Big Audio Dynamite still with no titles as well from 1987 My Bananarama one actually changes colours on the title, it's GREAT!

ohnoitisnathan
Jason 'The Moderator'

'Toy Boy' spent one week in the top 50 in early 1988 (although a few weeks also at the end of 1987 hovering between #49 and #50), at #49, for the week ending 4th Jan 1988. So your recording must have been from the (Satur)day before this (3rd Jan), as I remember Rage didn't re-air the full top 50 on Sunday morning; only usually from about #30 onwards (at least in 1989 they did this).

This was the top 50 (possibly the first one Rage aired?) for that week, which was actually a repeat of the last top 50 from 1987, as the charts used to take a 1 or 2 week break at Xmas until Xmas 1997:

4-Jan-88
3 3 Faith GEORGE MICHAEL
9 9 La Bamba LOS LOBOS
35 35 Adultery DO.RE.MI.
41 41 Celebration DRAGON
49 49 Toy Boy SINITTA

I was actually thinking that I taped Sinitta in late 1987, it must have been as I am SURE it was on a Sunday morning. I remember the font exactly with 2 circles and in the middle it saying rage OZ TOP 50 in HUGE letters, lol! It was the first time I saw Toy Boy and I pressed record INSTANTLY!

Jason 'The Moderator'
ohnoitisnathan
Jason 'The Moderator'

4-Jan-88
3 3 Faith GEORGE MICHAEL
9 9 La Bamba LOS LOBOS
35 35 Adultery DO.RE.MI.
41 41 Celebration DRAGON
49 49 Toy Boy SINITTA

I was actually thinking that I taped Sinitta in late 1987, it must have been as I am SURE it was on a Sunday morning. I remember the font exactly with 2 circles and in the middle it saying rage OZ TOP 50 in HUGE letters, lol! It was the first time I saw Toy Boy and I pressed record INSTANTLY!

Hi Jason

If you are interested I have got an awesome copy of a megamix Sinitta - Toy Boy. It is from the original PAL master tape, so it is quite large, over 1 GB for one video, but I can convert it to a normal video for you. Clean video and the audio is brilliant? Do you want me to add it?

I have this Top 50 sheet from 4 Jan '88 in my collection. I think the first thing I recorded from rage was the full Top 50 from about August 1989, although I'm pretty sure I got a few clips from the Top 50's in 1988. I kept the August 1989 Top 50 for about a year and then thought it was pretty daggy as it was well into 1990 (and as we know 1990 was the time for the Guru) and I was now in College, so I recorded over it. In 1988, I used to wake up when the Top 50 started and tune the stereo into the ABC channel and have the audio tape ready. I recorded so many songs from the rage Top 50 on audio cassette and still have them. I also used to do it for friends and sell them or trade them for something else. Ahh the days!....

This was the tracklist for my first music video VHS that I recorded from TV, after transferring it to 2 DVD-R's. Most of the clips are from Rage, though there are a handful from Video Hits, The Factory, and Saturday Morning Live . A few clips are repeated, as I got better/more complete copies of them later on (in the early days, I hadn't quite mastered getting the full intro of a clip):

Video 1 – disc 1: 1989
1.1 Orinoco Flow – Enya
1.2 Rock N’ Roll Music – Mental As Anything
1.3 I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers
1.4 Especially For You – Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan
1.5 Teardrops – Womack & Womack
1.6 Kokomo – Beach Boys
1.7 Orinoco Flow – Enya
1.8 Stand Up For Your Love Rights – Yazz
1.9 Cat Among the Pigeons – Bros
1.10 Angel of Harlem – U2
1.11 Put A Little Love In Your Heart – Annie Lennox & Al Green
1.12 Dumb Things – Paul Kelly & the Coloured Girls
1.13 Orinoco Flow – Enya
1.14 Cat Among the Pigeons – Bros
1.15 Silent Night – Bros
1.16 Nathan Jones – Bananarama
1.17 It’s No Secret – Kylie Minogue
1.18 Like the Way I Do – Melissa Etheridge
1.19 Early In the Morning – Robert Palmer
1.20 Buffalo Stance – Neneh Cherry
1.21 Real Gone Kid – Deacon Blue
1.22 Two Hearts – Phil Collins
1.23 She Makes My Day – Robert Palmer
1.24 Too Many Broken Hearts – Jason Donovan
1.25 What I Am – Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
1.26 Music Goes Round My Head – The Saints
1.27 Tell That Girl To Shut Up – Transvision Vamp
1.28 Buffalo Stance – Neneh Cherry
1.29 I’m On My Way – The Proclaimers
1.30 You’ll Never Know – 1927
1.31 Kiss – Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones
1.32 You Got It – Roy Orbison

Video 1 – disc 2: 1989
1.1 Fine Time – New Order
1.2 Celebrate the World – Womack & Womack
1.3 We’ll Be Right Back – Steinski & Massmedia
1.4 Too Many Broken Hearts – Jason Donovan
1.5 What I Am – Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
1.6 End of the Line – Travelling Wilburys
1.7 Your Mama Don’t Dance – Poison
1.8 Sister Moon – Transvision Vamp
1.9 Nathan Jones – Bananarama
1.10 Eternal Flame – Bangles
1.11 Your Mama Don’t Dance – Poison
1.12 I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers
1.13 Living Years – Mike & The Mechanics
1.14 I’m On My Way – The Proclaimers
1.15 Twist In My Sobriety – Tanita Tikaram
1.16 Buffalo Stance – Neneh Cherry
1.17 Wild Thing – Sam Kinison
1.18 Now You’re In Heaven – Julian Lennon
1.19 Love Train – Holly Johnson
1.20 Compulsory Hero – 1927
1.21 I Only Wanna Be With You – Samantha Fox
1.22 Straight Up – Paula Abdul
1.23 Wild Thing – Tone Loc
1.24 Soul Revival – Johnny Diesel & the Injectors
1.25 Chained To the Wheel – The Black Sorrows
1.26 One Summer – Daryl Braithwaite
1.27 Change His Ways – Robert Palmer
1.28 Addicted To Love – Robert Palmer
1.29 Cry In Shame – Johnny Diesel & the Injectors
1.30 Eternal Flame – Bangles
1.31 Americanos – Holly Johnson

I recorded Holly Johnson's 'Americano's' as well in 1989 from Saturday Morning Live and on the same tape I had Reynolds Girls 'I'd Rather Jack and Kylie's Hand On Your Heart all from SAT MORN LIVE

Lee
Jason 'The Moderator'
ohnoitisnathan
Jason 'The Moderator'

4-Jan-88
3 3 Faith GEORGE MICHAEL
9 9 La Bamba LOS LOBOS
35 35 Adultery DO.RE.MI.
41 41 Celebration DRAGON
49 49 Toy Boy SINITTA

Hi Jason

If you are interested I have got an awesome copy of a megamix Sinitta - Toy Boy. It is from the original PAL master tape, so it is quite large, over 1 GB for one video, but I can convert it to a normal video for you. Clean video and the audio is brilliant? Do you want me to add it?

YES YES YES PLEASE!

Jason 'The Moderator'
I recorded Holly Johnson's 'Americano's' as well in 1989 from Saturday Morning Live and on the same tape I had Reynolds Girls 'I'd Rather Jack and Kylie's Hand On Your Heart all from SAT MORN LIVE

I remember seeing Reynolds Girls 'I'd Rather Jack' on Rage just before the top 50, and then it appeared in the top 50 half an hour or so later, at #43. I didn't manage to record it though, and thought, 'ah, I'll get it next week', then it fell out of the top 50 never to be seen again!

I also remember waiting for weeks and weeks for Neneh Cherry's 'Manchild' to dent the top 50, so that I could get a good copy of the video (I otherwise only had it from Video Hits), but it never did (it peaked at #51 on the rival Australian Music Report chart).

My copy of 'Americanos' on that tape was from The Factory. I had at least one video from late 1989/early 1990 that I stupidly taped over about 6 months later, and have regretted ever since, with a few rare clips on there that I haven't been able to find since, like Rococo's 'Inside Out', and Crimefighters Inc.'s 'Bat Attack '89'.

ohnoitisnathan
Jason 'The Moderator'

I remember seeing Reynolds Girls 'I'd Rather Jack' on Rage just before the top 50, and then it appeared in the top 50 half an hour or so later, at #43. I didn't manage to record it though, and thought, 'ah, I'll get it next week', then it fell out of the top 50 never to be seen again!

I also remember waiting for weeks and weeks for Neneh Cherry's 'Manchild' to dent the top 50, so that I could get a good copy of the video (I otherwise only had it from Video Hits), but it never did (it peaked at #51 on the rival Australian Music Report chart).

My copy of 'Americanos' on that tape was from The Factory. I had at least one video from late 1989/early 1990 that I stupidly taped over about 6 months later, and have regretted ever since, with a few rare clips on there that I haven't been able to find since, like Rococo's 'Inside Out', and Crimefighters Inc.'s 'Bat Attack '89'.

Don't talk to me about regrets due to taping over videos! My first vhs's I recorded from 1985 and 1986from Countdown, SOUNDS, The Noise and more have ALL gone Tapes were SO expensive and I was only young so by 1988 these were already gone I WISH to death I had never taped over them.

I will forever be upset by it! I would LOVE to see those lost 1985/1985 vhs's I recorded

OMG! I so recorded Rococo's 'Inside Out' from Coutndown Revolution, not the video but their Countdown Revolution studio performance! I still had it in the late 90s but it seems to have dissapeared It was such a COOL performance! I still have the Coutndown Revolution studio performance of Crimefighters Inc.'s 'Bat Attack '89'from my 1989 vhs video which has not be taped over.

Luckily I kept some stuff from 1988 and 1989 I still have

I've been trying to get hold of the 'Bat Attack '89' video for years. Couldn't find it on YouTube either. I managed to get the single a few years ago. Was the artist Australian or ? I remember the video and thought it was pretty cool with excerpts from the 60's TV series.

Nathan, you know you might get people asking you this if you put up your list, but I would very much like to get hold of about 10 songs from your 2 discs!

I remember 'I'd Rather Jack' a statement to radio to stop playing old songs and play new stuff. 'No golden oldies, rolling stones, we don't want them back. I'd Rather Jack, than Fleetwood Mac'. I also remember Molly reviewing this song on Hey Hey and being in favour of this song and supporting it, well the theme behind it.

Michael
I've been trying to get hold of the 'Bat Attack '89' video for years. Couldn't find it on YouTube either. I managed to get the single a few years ago. Was the artist Australian or ? I remember the video and thought it was pretty cool with excerpts from the 60's TV series.

I recorded it from Video Hits; I don't recall ever seeing it aired on Rage. They used to air that King Crimson 'Sleepless' promo with the title over it when it was charting in the top 50.

I'm not 100% certain, but I have an inkling that Crimefighters Inc. were Dutch, or at the least from continental Europe. Collette was about the most technologically advanced production Australia could produce back then

Michael

Nathan, you know you might get people asking you this if you put up your list, but I would very much like to get hold of about 10 songs from your 2 discs!

The quality of virtually all of the clips though on those 2 discs is very average at best - complete with mono audio, tape wobbles here and there, some analogue signal interference on a few clips, and incomplete intros/outros. I would have better quality copies of most of those videos, but the old rage large lettering and top 50 position does hold a certain rustic charm.

Hmmmm... not to mention I still haven't finished your wants list from probably 18 months ago now. I was thinking of some day transferring all of my videos as individual .vob files to external hard drives, making DVD compilation for trading infinitely easier. But it would take ages to do it, and I'd need to quit my job or take long service leave to catch up on it all.

Michael

I remember 'I'd Rather Jack' a statement to radio to stop playing old songs and play new stuff. 'No golden oldies, rolling stones, we don't want them back. I'd Rather Jack, than Fleetwood Mac'. I also remember Molly reviewing this song on Hey Hey and being in favour of this song and supporting it, well the theme behind it.

I liked it particularly because they sang "We'd rather sing along with Yazz" . Some speculate that S/A/W would have given the song to Mel & Kim if they were able to record at the time; but it doesn't sound as 'sophisticated' as them.

I just remember hearing 'I'd Rather Jack' on Triple M's (Melbourne) 'Top 8 at 8', then seeing the video on Rage.

Michael

G'day Gentlemen (Nathan and Michael)

I have still got my original video of Crime Fighters Inc if you guys are interested. Like Nathan, I recorded it from Video Hits in 1989. I have gone to have a look at the quality, the picture is pretty darn good but the audio is rather dull.

Michael are you able to upload me your audio of the single (I am assuming it is from Vinyl) and I will try and replace the audio with yours and then maybe I could upload the finished project for you guys to download?

As Nathan said I only ever saw it on Video Hits. Luckily there isn't as much writing all over the video back in 1989 like there was in the mid 90's.

Let me know what you reckon?

Hi Lee

I don't know how to do any of that tricky techo stuff!
is it pretty straight forward? I could post the single to you (in good faith) and you do it your end and post it back? In the meantime, are you (or Nathan) able to put the clip up on YouTube?

Lee

I have still got my original video of Crime Fighters Inc if you guys are interested. Like Nathan, I recorded it from Video Hits in 1989. I have gone to have a look at the quality, the picture is pretty darn good but the audio is rather dull.

I would definitely be interested in a copy of this clip. I've been trying to find an mp3 of the track for a while, to no avail.

Michael
Hi Lee

I don't know how to do any of that tricky techo stuff!
is it pretty straight forward? I could post the single to you (in good faith) and you do it your end and post it back? In the meantime, are you (or Nathan) able to put the clip up on YouTube?

Michael, is yours from Vinyl or CD?

ohnoitisnathan
Lee

I would definitely be interested in a copy of this clip. I've been trying to find an mp3 of the track for a while, to no avail.

I do have an mp3, I was hoping Michael's was CD? If you want the mp3 it is rather good, it also has the B side as well?

Is 4 Jan 1988 chart from AMR or ARIA?

Lee
ohnoitisnathan
Lee

I do have an mp3, I was hoping Michael's was CD? If you want the mp3 it is rather good, it also has the B side as well?

Hi Lee, sorry, it's on vinyl. . Can you email the mp3 to me?

Nicholas
Is 4 Jan 1988 chart from AMR or ARIA?

ARIA licensed the Kent Report/AMR chart from its inception in May 1983, until it produced its first 'in-house' chart in late June 1988. Before mid 1988, there was only the AMR chart, so the ARIA & AMR charts were one and the same.

Michael
Lee

Hi Lee, sorry, it's on vinyl. . Can you email the mp3 to me?

No problems Michael

I have emailed you and Nathan

I can't remember the first clips I recorded from Rage. However, the first video clip I've recorded was from Sounds (Donnie Sutherland) in 1982 with Rod Stewart's 'Young Turks'. Unfortunately I've wiped all these off as 3 hour VHS video tapes during the period were quite expensive.

I recorded clips from John Torv's Music Video (Ch 10) between 1983-1987 before Rage and Video Hits started and still obtained all of these tapes in my archives. These tapes haven't seen the light of day since the 80's. I'm just as bad as the ABC. lol!

Dave (DJA69)
I can't remember the first clips I recorded from Rage. However, the first video clip I've recorded was from Sounds (Donnie Sutherland) in 1982 with Rod Stewart's 'Young Turks'. Unfortunately I've wiped all these off as 3 hour VHS video tapes during the period were quite expensive.

I recorded clips from John Torv's Music Video (Ch 10) between 1983-1987 before Rage and Video Hits started and still obtained all of these tapes in my archives. These tapes haven't seen the light of day since the 80's. I'm just as bad as the ABC. lol!

Um, PLEASE get your tapes out!!! How could you not want to get them out of the light and convert them to DVD?!?!

Basically the same week my dad bought a VCR!! I had already started switching from cartoons to Rage and I am pretty sure the first clip I recorded, with the intention of keeping was Tears For Fears 'Sowing the Seeds of Love'. It was wiped soon after though... As were the Top 5 videos I used to record with the intention of keeping, but we only had a few tapes in the house :-)

First tape I bought myself and stored in my room, which didn't get wiped began with 1927's 'Tell Me A Story'. I consider that to be my first real rage video. Never stopped after that except for one year (1995) during which time I didn't have a TV.

Dave (DJA69)

That's brilliant that you have kept tapes from John Torv's Music Video as I thought that was the first great music video show in Australia. Having to fill so many hours each week meant they would play a lot of minor clips, particularly from Australian bands.

If you have any rare or obscure clips you should set up a YouTube channel and post them. I did that with my rarer clips to share them with other fans and in a number of cases such as FX, Kam Sha, The Tribe, Liquid Engineers, Koo De Tah etc band members, family, friends, or in a number of cases their children, left messages appreciating seeing those clips.

John Torv's Music Video started in Melbourne in late 1984 so we missed a fair bit of it down here as it started out in Sydney in mid 1983 sometime.

I had no idea there was even a video for ''Bat Attack 89''. Would there be a video for ''Stuck on Earth'' or ''Old time rock and roll''? Rage have never played these, even when they charted.

Rage played Old Time Rock 'n' Roll (by Bob Seger) at least once as I have 3 hours of an episode from May 21 1988 and it appeared on that night. It also appears on Australian video releases by Night Life Music Video (early 90's release) and Showbiz video. I'm probably thinking of the wrong song though.

I have a recording of Old Time Rock N Roll from Rage from back in 1987. It only has the artist title and they spelt it wrong (Bob Seeger).

I'm pretty sure there's no video for Alf's "Stuck on Earth"... well, not that I'm aware of anyway. I wasn't quite watching the full top 50 routinely when it charted in Oz, so I don't know for certain... but there was nothing on youtube when I searched a few weeks back.

I'm about 99% sure there is no video for it. I watched the rage Top 50 every Saturday morning from Feb 1988 and I didn't ever see rage play it. They always showed the song title and artist over the rage music before they played the next video.

The only tape I have anymore is when Rage did a Beatles (plus solo careers) special after George Harrison died. Does anyone else remember that?

Because of my space interest, during the 1980s I recorded much about NASA and the Space shuttle. This lead to a taping of a Four Corners special on the Space shuttle in late July 1987 - which was 20 minutes use of a TDK 120 minute video tape. The next Sunday that came, I think Sunday 2nd Aug 1987, I tape the top 15 section of Video Hits (with ads and all), I still have it, but it was done on a mono VCR. It was when Video hits showed the entire video clips, without cutting their graphics, or competitions into the intros or outros.

From memory, some of the video clips were:

Heart - Alone
Angry Anderson - Suddenly
Kylie Minogue - Locomotion
Breakfast Club - Right on track
Mel and Kim - Respectible
Swingout Sister - Breakout
Starship - Nothing's gonna stop us now
Paul Carrack - When you walk in the room....

Ummm can't remember anymore, I'll have to dig the tape out, but that was my first tape of videos I ever kept.

Dug out this old chart in hoping of rekendling the memory....

Photobucket

I went through the songs, but the order doesn't seem quite right; they mixed in new releases as well, as I clearly remember Bananarama's "I heard a rumour" being played, yet it's not in the above chart.

Thanks Mark for posting that scan of the ARIA chart! I have an incomplete collection of these from the 80's. Though I've got all of the charts typed out in an Excel document, I'm interested in the printed versions of these ARIA charts from June 1988 to December 1989 inclusive. This period covers the time from when ARIA compiled their own chart (rather than using the Australian Music Report chart), when positions 51-100 were not available through an ARIA subscription. The 'breakers' listed on these charts list 5 singles outside of the top 50 which have yet to enter the top 50, in rank of their chart position. Do you have printed ARIA charts from this period? I'd love to obtain scans of charts covering this period if you do.

ohnoitisnathan
Thanks Mark for posting that scan of the ARIA chart! I have an incomplete collection of these from the 80's. Though I've got all of the charts typed out in an Excel document, I'm interested in the printed versions of these ARIA charts from June 1988 to December 1989 inclusive. This period covers the time from when ARIA compiled their own chart (rather than using the Australian Music Report chart), when positions 51-100 were not available through an ARIA subscription. The 'breakers' listed on these charts list 5 singles outside of the top 50 which have yet to enter the top 50, in rank of their chart position. Do you have printed ARIA charts from this period? I'd love to obtain scans of charts covering this period if you do.

Nathan, my charts from this time were pretty hit and miss when it comes to ARIA. Though I've compiled my own charts every week back to 1979, I didn't start collecting ARIA charts until about March 1989. I had just moved to the Blue Mountains at the time from Sydney with my parents, and if it was a case of my mother and I getting to the K-Mart Hypermarket, I would go off to the music section, buy some CDs, and get the latest ARIA chart. If I missed that weeks printed chart, I would listen to the top 15 portion of Barry Bissel's Take 40, and note the tracks down in their respective numbers (back up charts for missing weeks). So yes, I do have every ARIA chart from March 1989, but no in the way that about 30 to 40% of these are backup charts noted from tape 40. I'd be glad to scan from what I've got. I'm pretty much sure though that most of the chartt (90%) from March to August 1989 are backups. I do have a whole swag of these from the second half of 1987, that I picked up later.

Mark from 2PR FM

Nathan, my charts from this time were pretty hit and miss when it comes to ARIA. Though I've compiled my own charts every week back to 1979, I didn't start collecting ARIA charts until about March 1989. I had just moved to the Blue Mountains at the time from Sydney with my parents, and if it was a case of my mother and I getting to the K-Mart Hypermarket, I would go off to the music section, buy some CDs, and get the latest ARIA chart. If I missed that weeks printed chart, I would listen to the top 15 portion of Barry Bissel's Take 40, and note the tracks down in their respective numbers (back up charts for missing weeks). So yes, I do have every ARIA chart from March 1989, but no in the way that about 30 to 40% of these are backup charts noted from tape 40. I'd be glad to scan from what I've got. I'm pretty much sure though that most of the chartt (90%) from March to August 1989 are backups. I do have a whole swag of these from the second half of 1987, that I picked up later.

Thanks for the reply. My mother used to walk down to Brashs during her lunch break on Mondays in the early 90's to pick up an ARIA chart for me . I remember there was one week in '93 where I couldn't find that week's printed ARIA top 50 singles/albums chart anywhere until the Saturday, when I found just one copy of it in my local Myer store.

ohnoitisnathan
I'm interested in the printed versions of these ARIA charts from June 1988 to December 1989 inclusive. This period covers the time from when ARIA compiled their own chart (rather than using the Australian Music Report chart), when positions 51-100 were not available through an ARIA subscription. The 'breakers' listed on these charts list 5 singles outside of the top 50 which have yet to enter the top 50, in rank of their chart position. Do you have printed ARIA charts from this period? I'd love to obtain scans of charts covering this period if you do.

Nathan
While most of my charts cover the Countdown years, I do have 3 ARIA charts from the period that you mention - 19/6/1988, 9/10/88 and 23/10/88. Have I passed the info on those on to you before?

I have most of the Juke magazines for this period but their Oz Top 25 does not match the ARIA version.

I would have thought that this info should be on an official website but when I checked with ARIA I found the following comment on their page:

"Can ARIA provide me with old chart related information, for example a chart history for a specific artist?

The ARIA charts date back to the middle of 1983 but our database only goes back to mid 1988 when we started calculating the charts in-house. Accessing information for ad-hoc chart enquiries can be quite time consuming and may incur a charge. If you would like to know how much your request will cost, email us your requirements."

Knowing how keen you are on charts I was wondering if you had thought of contacting them?

Guru Bob

Nathan
While most of my charts cover the Countdown years, I do have 3 ARIA charts from the period that you mention - 19/6/1988, 9/10/88 and 23/10/88. Have I passed the info on those on to you before?

I would have thought that this info should be on an official website but when I checked with ARIA I found the following comment on their page:

"Can ARIA provide me with old chart related information, for example a chart history for a specific artist?

The ARIA charts date back to the middle of 1983 but our database only goes back to mid 1988 when we started calculating the charts in-house. Accessing information for ad-hoc chart enquiries can be quite time consuming and may incur a charge. If you would like to know how much your request will cost, email us your requirements."

Knowing how keen you are on charts I was wondering if you had thought of contacting them?

I think I've got either one or both of those Oct 1988 printed charts, I'll have to check.

I've got a database of ARIA top 50 chart positions from 1983 (when they started printing them) onwards, but it's the 51-100 positions between the end of June 1988 and the end of December 1989 that I'm after. I haven't tried contacting ARIA directly though.

I've pretty much got all the printed ARIA Top 50 charts from this period, but nothing from 100-51. I did subscribe to the Aria Charts at the beginning of 1998 for a 12 month subscription. Cost me $220, but that was when I had too much money and was still living at home. It was great to get the ARIA book posted weekly. I'm pretty sure it had the Top 100? (haven't looked at them since 1998). I have been collecting Aria Charts since May 1987 and stopped in late 2010. A few year ago, any gaps in my weekly Top 50 sheets, I got onto the australian-charts.com website and printed them out (as they are taken from the ARIA charts). I have about 10 folders chocked full of Top 50 sheets each one in plastic sleeves. I saved heaps doing the printing at work at lunchtime and quiet periods and taking all the sleeves from the stores cupboard. (LOL). Close to 25 years was enough and my interest in the charts was waning.

A year or so back, I emailed Aria and told them that their 'this week in aria chart history' feature (when they showed the Top 10 singles and albums of a week/year) does not match the Top 10 on Countdown (viewed on this site). They emailed me back and sent me the scan of the Aria Top 50 chart from that week in June 1985). Long story, but it did match, but a difference of a week or so. BTW emailed them about a year ago and asked what happened to this feature on the Aria chart and they said it has been taken off and don't know when/if it will come back. It was around the time they updated their website to what it looks like now.

I'm sure you all know about the australian-charts.com website, which I have put up a few times here before. It lists the weekly Top 50 singles & album charts from late June '88 to present. It's also great to look at the images of the covers of the singles next to each entry.

Michael
I'm sure you all know about the australian-charts.com website, which I have put up a few times here before. It lists the weekly Top 50 singles & album charts from late June '88 to present. It's also great to look at the images of the covers of the singles next to each entry.

I wasn't aware of that site, thanks for the tip!

This thread got me searching for my old chart collection (which I'd almost forgotten about). Turns out I've got a couple of 5KA charts (Adelaide radio station) from 1985, many SAFM (another Adelaide station) charts from 1983 through to 1990, several Aria charts from 1984 through to 1992 (but not that many of them), many 5AD charts (another Adelaide station) from 1982 through to 1985, and a lone 2DayFM chart from 1992.

I think I ought to scan these in at some stage!

WXJL

This thread got me searching for my old chart collection (which I'd almost forgotten about). Turns out I've got a couple of 5KA charts (Adelaide radio station) from 1985, many SAFM (another Adelaide station) charts from 1983 through to 1990, several Aria charts from 1984 through to 1992 (but not that many of them), many 5AD charts (another Adelaide station) from 1982 through to 1985, and a lone 2DayFM chart from 1992.

I think I ought to scan these in at some stage!

Be great if you could scan your Aria charts from '84-mid '87, as I have hardly any from this period. Could you post some up here?

Michael
Be great if you could scan your Aria charts from '84-mid '87, as I have hardly any from this period. Could you post some up here?

I'll try to do this soon. I've only got 1 from 1984 and 6 from 1985, and then a huge gap until the 90's.

I've got an excel document with the ARIA top 50 singles for each week (typed out though, not a scan of the printed chart) from when it started in May 1983 until 1988 if anyone wants it (and then another document with the top 50 from 1989, and the top 100 from 1990 onwards).

I cant answer for keeping stuff from RAGE

But I started keeping stuff (on VHS tapes) from Countdown as early as late in 1982..which (remarkably to me) I still have,,,,

Amazing! What episodes? and are they the full episode/s?

I apologize if this is the wrong place on the site for this. I'd be real interested in trading for a DVD-R copy of ohnoitisnathan's two 1989 rage and other shows set. Also, where is a good site to contact about trading for old 1980's to now rage episodes and the older Countdown episodes? The only rage episodes I have are from the 2000's I believe, with a Beatles episode and a Kate Bush episode. I do have a lot of UK Top of the Pops episodes, as well as lots of Bruce Springsteen and Beatles related footage from the past several decades. I am in the U.S. but have multi region DVD players. Send me an e-mail if you can be of help. Thanks!

Hi Marshall, replied by email.