Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countdown's Silver Jubilee

It's almost coming up to 25 years since Countdown ended!

Re: Countdown's Silver Jubilee

Hard to believe it's been so long. Seems like yesterday it ended. A very sad day for Australian TV and music in general.

To be fair I often wonder who much longer it could have gone on for. I could imagine it going to 1989 but not much further.

It may be gone but we'll never forget such a fantastic show!

I believe it would have lasted two more years if Molly hadn't changed the format and renamed it CDPTV (Pirate Television) at the start of 1987. I still can't understand why that disaster happened.

True - the 1987 episodes weren't that good. Although I note that from about May of that year they ditched the CDPTV format and went back to what the show used to be like - with a mix of live performances, videos, etc.

I could easily imagine it continuing into 1988 with BROS or Yazz in the studio....

It was pretty sad in the '87 period when bands were performing live in the studio to no audience.

I read in the paper today that it was on this day in 1987 that the ABC announced Countdown would end.

JASE
I read in the paper today that it was on this day in 1987 that the ABC announced Countdown would end.

:-(

Hoin
I believe it would have lasted two more years if Molly hadn't changed the format and renamed it CDPTV (Pirate Television) at the start of 1987. I still can't understand why that disaster happened.

I agree, as the Countdowns from 1987 are better than the CPTV which was SO ice cold and not in a good way. It was more like the format of Between The Teeth on ABC which i LOVED but it didn't work for Countdown at all!

I to believe Countdown could have lasted up to late 89 or 90 and instead of Countdown Revolution Countdown could have continued till the end of the decade and could have lasted the whole of the 80s :-(

And I to could have seen Bros and Yazz on Countdown, ah well.

In a way I am glad it didn't got o much longer as Countdown will always be So special for the QUALITY music of the period and the thought of having 80% 1990 crap on Countdown would have been depressing!