Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smash Hits magazine

I know this was mentioned some years ago and I tried to find the previous post...and Guru Bob listed all the issues of Australian Smash Hits magazine. Can someone (or maybe Guru can recite his full list!) tell me when the first Oz issue was released, the date and who was on the cover? Cheers.

Re: Smash Hits magazine

Unfortunately I don't have a list that I can access, and at the moment don't have the time to do one, but below is Issue 1 of the Australian Smash Hits. The UK version started in Nov 1978 with Blondie on the cover.

Photobucket

Thanks Guru, I will keep an eye out for this issue on ebay. Cheers.

I wasn't quite sure if this was the first issue, cause going on wikipedia (and we all know how correct that is!) it said the first Oz issue was November 1984, but I guess that's right because the date on the cover (and with all issues) was 2 weeks in advance, so this issue was released late November. I'm surprised that it doesn't mention it being the first issue on the cover?

at the $1.00 price. I bought my first Smash Hits mag around March '88, with Michael Hutchence on the cover. From memory it was $1.75.

Michael - have tried sending you an email about this topic but no luck. Can you email me back please? Cheers.

All issue numbers were on the contents page - shown below - although you might imagine that being the first issue they may have made a bit of noise about it on the cover. I have a spare copy of this issue but it doesn't have the stickers or the John Taylor poster which had Beargarden - The Finer Things songwords page and a full page QED ad on the back - ie missing pages 23-26.

Photobucket

ohnoitisnathan
at the $1.00 price. I bought my first Smash Hits mag around March '88, with Michael Hutchence on the cover. From memory it was $1.75.

Nathan, if this is in good condition and you don't mind parting with it could be worth more than $50 on ebay. I have been bidding for old Smash Hits mags from '87 & '88 and have always been outbid of ones that feature Michael Hutchence, INXS, Madonna on the cover. I guess if they're dead or are music icons and still in the biz today, they fetch very high prices. An issue from Feb '88 with INXS on the cover sold for $70 with a starting bid of $5.00. A MH May '88 cover sold for over $50. Billy Idol, Jon Bon Jovi and Madonna from these periods do well too.

Unfortunately Michael, I chucked all of my old Smash Hits & Number One (UK pop mag) magazines out when moving house in 1995! But even if I still had them, I used to cut songwords out of them and stick them into my scrap book containing songwords and top 50/60 charts I used to write down each week from Rage

. Yeah, I pretty much defaced most of my Smash Hits mags from '87 & '88, but still have them. I want to replace them and throw these ones out.

A great cover. The gender benders of the 80's, together!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SMASH-HITS-1983-CHRISTMAS-SPECIAL-BOY-GEORGE-DURAN-DURAN-DAVID-BOWIE-/261075345652?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item3cc94da0f4