Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage 2012 Mardi Gras special

It says on the blurb they're playing "all Kylie" after the special. Hmmm... not too thrilled about this; most of her videos are easily obtainable on DVD. I wouldn't mind if they had a Kylie special on another night, but I fear it's going to eat too much into space that could be filled with rare retro trash videos.

Re: Rage 2012 Mardi Gras special

Typical rage staff!

They think that queens just want to see Kylie all night, look... I love Early Kylie but come on!... Yes, Kylie is back in Australia so 40 minutes would have been cool but not ALL Kylie!

I MUST say that I am so NOT surprised, the programmers there these days really have no idea what so ever!

BOOORING!

Judging by the description, it's crap. More Lady Ga Ga, how inspiring... NOT!!!

I know

Someone has been pestering them for a 'full Kylie special' on the Rage message board for a while; so I guess they thought this was a good time to drag it out (plus it will save them the bother of going through the archives to find the likes of Sabrina's 'Sexy Girl'). You're right - it's lazy. It's just as bad as the Madonna special in retro month 2007. Actually, I'm slightly surprised they didn't just go with a full Kylie & Madonna special for the Mardi Gras episode

I was hoping Ignatius Jones would host a Mardi Gras special seeing as he has been in charge of the Mardi Gras parade over the last 2 years - would have been appropriate. Or Rage could have gotten a Mardi Gras DJ to program it like they did in 1998 - which was the last truly great Mardi Gras night.

Sadly it seems it is not to be.....

I know a lot of gay people are offended when anyone brings up Kylie in conversation with them (a common occurrence among gay people) because it's so stereotypical to assume that all gay people are obsessed with Kylie Minogue.

But then again, to be fair, Kylie as well as Ru Paul are actually coming to this year's Mardi Gras. I just hope the Mardi Gras special is not eaten up by Kylie's back catalogue. A few clips would be sufficient, seeing as Kylie has had lot of airplay on rage over the years. I agree nathan, it would be disappointing if Kylie were to take over the Mardi Gras special.

I reckon it would be funny if they got Bob Downe to program the night, or his Aunt...Ida Downe.

Some highlights (for me anyway):

GERI HALLIWELL Look At Me
DEEE-LITE Good Beat

WAYNE G Twisted (!!!! Rage have never aired this!)

JAM AND SPOON Right In The Night
STRIKE U Sure Do
DEUCE On The Bible
BANANARAMA Love, Truth and Honesty (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

DANNII Love and Kisses (Mushroom)
DANNII Jump To The Beat (Mushroom)
DANNII I Don't Wanna Take This Pain (Mushroom)
DANNII Baby Love (Mushroom)
DANNII Everlasting Night (MDS)

Ha ha - not that exiting though, although L&K & IDWTTP will be the Oz versions, presumably, which aren't on her DVD(s).

The rest is a bit blah, unfortunately, and the Kylie videos are aired in reverse chronological order, which is stupid. Plus the last hour of the show is just new release $hit they could play at any time!

Oh, and on Saturday morning:

TINA ARENA Turn Up The Beat (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

EFUA Somewhere (!!!!!!)

Some good stuff in there, but a bit disappointing on the whole.

Nathan, I'm excited by the same as you, naturally!!! I'm really quite happy when all is said and done.

Tina = O.M.G.!!!!!

OMFG, Turn Up The Beat on Saturday morning from Tina Arena!!!

RAAAAAAARE!

Saturday night is pure CRAP!

Only thing for me is Bananarama 'Love Truth And Honesty' which is complete BLISS!!!!!

All the rest is complete S H I T !!!! All that Kylie is SUCH a waste. And those new releases at the end.

There is hardly anything camp 80s!!!

There is some really good stuff in there. But it's a shame they didn't use the last hour for the special. Either by programming other clips for the special, or pushing back Kylie's back catalogue by an hour to fit in more clips.

Some of the clips on the Mardi Gras playlist are a bit puzzling:

CHICANE Saltwater - I love the song, but is it considered a 'gay' classic? A dance/trance classic, yes.

KATE CEBERANO Pash - ??, surely something like 'Young Boys Are My Weakness' would have been more fitting

THE COMMUNARDS Don't Leave Me This Way - classic, but it nearly always gets an airing on the Mardi Gras special. Give it a rest. Why not air something less/never seen on Rage like Bronski Beat's 'Why'?

GWEN STEFANI Hollaback Girl - is this really considered a gay classic? 'What You Waiting For', maybe.

It would be good if they had a few more 'dyke' tunes too, like early Melissa Etheridge.

Just going off-topic here, I was surprised Rage are playing 4 Monkees clips on Saturday morning in tribute to Davy Jones.

Dave (DJA69)
Just going off-topic here, I was surprised Rage are playing 4 Monkees clips on Saturday morning in tribute to Davy Jones.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised. They only make an effort when people die! That could make more of an effort while people are still with us!

ohnoitisnathan

CHICANE Saltwater - I love the song, but is it considered a 'gay' classic? A dance/trance classic, yes.

Haha yeah I thought the same thing. But after some research I found out that Chicane is performing during the Mardi Gras. Chicane also performed at the Manchester Pride festival too. Apparently Chicane is a gay icon

http://www.starobserver.com.au/play/entertainment-play/2012/01/20/chicanes-onshore-for-mardi-gras/69740

Repined On Venus

Haha yeah I thought the same thing. But after some research I found out that Chicane is performing during the Mardi Gras. Chicane also performed at the Manchester Pride festival too. Apparently Chicane is a gay icon

Well if Jimmy Barnes can perform at Mardi Gras...

I only discovered a year ago that the guy behind Chicane was also responsible for this a couple of years earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqN69aHYtmY

SydneySean
Dave (DJA69)

Unfortunately I'm not surprised. They only make an effort when people die! That could make more of an effort while people are still with us!

Unfortunately they didn't make much of an effort when Clive Shakespeare (Sherbet) died two weeks ago with only playing two Sherbet clips. Shame shame.

The Tina Arena video was funny. I swear she thought she was Tina Turner with the big 'TINA' up in lights!

Michael
The Tina Arena video was funny. I swear she thought she was Tina Turner with the big 'TINA' up in lights!

He, He, He!

rage are SO sad. I don't know WHO on earth is working there BUT on the Kylie special on 'Breathe' rage called it The Bre???!!! SO Breathe is NOW about CHEESE (Bre) Also 'What Do I Have To Do' wasn't listed but then played just before 'Cowboy Style' TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERIOD!. Hand On Your Heart was played twice, the first time after G.B.I??? Never Too Late from Countdown Revolution was edited disgracefully! AND, may I add!. Rupaul was listed to be featured as was NOT yet he was in Sydney!!! Obviously, one needs no qualifications to work at rage!!! Why am I NOT working there!

Are you serious? I knew there was a typo on the rage playlist for 'Breathe', but did they actually have the song title on the screen as 'The Bre'? and the other mistakes...WTF? I did notice the sudden cut at the end of CR 'Never Too Late'.

The 'Breathe' superscript was correct on the video itself, just not on the playlist. I have my sneaking suspicions that they've got some new type of playlist generator program, that automatically puts 'the' at the end of an artist title on the playlists on the website (e.g. BEATLES, THE) - maybe it's also doing it for song titles that have 'the' at the end of them?