Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
R.I.P. Clive Shakespeare

My message that I just submitted on the rage discussion boards. Some support for a tribute to this great artist would be appreciated.

We lost yet another stalwart of Aussie pop/rock history yesterday.

Clive Shakespeare, one of the founding members of the impossibly beautiful and amazing Sherbet lost his battle with cancer at the age of 62.

Clive, along with Garth Porter, wrote most of Sherbet's songs up until he left the band in 1976.

I know this news comes late in the week, and this weekend will be all about Whitney...but I would hope rage will acknowledge this great Aussie artist with a fitting tribute if not this weekend, then next.

A couple of suggestions are Sherbet's staggering live performance of the amazing "Life Is For Living" which opened Countdown on 31st of August 1975...and also their performance of the truly beautiful "Silvery Moon" from Countdown on 8th of November, 1974. Both of these performances exist in the rage archives.

Both songs were co-written by Clive and his beautiful guitar work is featured heavily in the these clips, both musically and visually.

On youtube there's also an interview from GTK which is predominantly with Clive and then goes into a performance of "Do It" which features a great Clive guitar solo. I don't know the date for this I'm sorry, but I would hope this could also be included. It provides a terrific glimpse of how tight and professional a band Sherbet were right from the start. It's titled "Sherbet - Interview + Do It " on youtube.

The contribution to Aussie pop/rock history of this vastly talented artist should not be forgotten or under estimated.

R.I.P. Clive and thank you...thank you for bringing us some of the most beautiful moments in Australian pop history. Honestly x

Re: R.I.P. Clive Shakespeare

An opportunity to air the Sherbet concert footage that has been recently discovered, even if a tribute is put back a week because of Whitney.

I know it's probably late to mention as I've made some suggestions to Rage this past weekend with Sherbet clips from GTK and Hitscene featuring Clive between 1971 - 1975.

At least it's worth a shot.

Good going, I am not much of a Sherbet fan BUT I think the fact that they were one of THE biggest Australian bands of the 70s means Clive should have a tribute as ALL overseas artists have that honour!