Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any notice the music played in the background during Humdrum, Apr.'85??

All the songs were off the compilaiton "Hit's Hot" '84/85. Nothing really odd about that, except that by April, that LP had dropped off dramatically in the charts - so I have no idea why they would be trying to promote it as it was released in late 1984? I thought they should have been playing Turn It Up '85 instead?!! Now, speaking of nerds...

Re: Any notice the music played in the background during Humdrum, Apr.'85??

Turn It Up '85 debuted on the charts at the end of August 1985. The 'current' hits compilations when that episode of Countdown aired would have been maybe 1985 Comes Alive (debuted end of Feb) and Bustin' Thru 1985 - but that was released on Telmak, which released lots of compilations, so maybe it was just one of those cheapo labels.

The earliest memory of these type of releases I have is '87 Let's Party (although I later discovered my cousin's 1986...Just For Kicks cassette), so I don't have a first hand recall - I'm just going by the entries listed under Various in David Kent's chart book

Hey Matt, I did mention that comp. played in the background of Humdrum in a previous post...Anyway, what about 'Heaps Of Hits '85'? A double LP or cassette. This comp. would have been around this time.

Yes, you are right - I was a bit early saying that Turn It Up would have been appropriate, that didn't come out till around August. I should have done what Nathan did and check out my David Kent Chart book first!

I was to intrigued with the selections as the background music for Humdrum, especially She Bop which was quite old by then. I did like though how the tracks kept changing, it was interesting. I also found it interesting that Boy George's 'Waking Up With The House On Fire' photo was up on the set as my darlings Culture Club were unfortunately fading by then :-(

The "War Song", Culture Club's third best song behind God Thank You Woman (2nd) and Miss Me Blind (1st), is included on the Hit's Hot 84/85 comp. that was played throughout the segment, and as you say, it was quiet old by then.

I was living in New Zealand when 'The War Song' was released . It's one of a handful of songs that take me back to that period, along with Band Aid's 'Do They Know It's Christmas', The Cars' 'Drive', George Michael's 'Careless Whisper', Stevie Wonder's 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', and Nik Kershaw's 'The Riddle'.

Coincidentally, that 1985 episode would have aired not long after returning to Oz, and Mental As Anything's 'Youre So Strong' is one of the first 'new' songs I remember after coming back.