Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Factory 7th May 1988 episode

It was actually interesting catching this episode last night. I do remember watching this episode back in the day. A while ago I downloaded the Crowded House clips from this show on Youtube.

So I am happy to get the whole show, although I noticed the audio dropped out on this recording also during the Crowded House performance.

I had to laugh at the girl (blond permed hair) sitting behind the guys during their performances eyeing off Paul Hester big time. I thought she would jump out of the audience and grab him at one. She was quite smitten over Paul.

Oh my god, they had outtakes at the end of the show. Paul Hester(RIP) was such a funny guy. Thanks RAGE for showing that also.

Re: The Factory 7th May 1988 episode

While I would have preferred more Countdowns, The Factory episode wasn't too bad - even if there were better ones from that series.

Loved the black and white game show footage in it and Alex and Andrew made a good duo. Interesting comparing this to Recovery which was made a decade later. The Factory was much funnier and had better people running it.

Hopefully next time though Rage will just show highlights from it as well as Beat Box rather than entire episodes.

One word for this episode of The Factory, B O R I N G. I switched it off and went to bed.

In 1988 I used to change channels between The Factory and Saturday Morning Live as half of the segments in between clips bored me to pieces. What a waste of 3 hrs!

rage picked a CRAP episode and the thing that's sad is that the Under 18's and Crowded House bits from the Factory was featured as segments on rage goes retro in January 2008 when rage did the little features of The Factory. lazy B A S T A R D S!

I noticed that - a great shame indeed.

I also noticed the 2 Countdown Revolution episodes had clips in them that were used in 2008 as well, such as the Drowning Not Waving live clip.

The Countdown Revolutions were interesting - Collette was so camp! But you can see that 3 hosts was way too much and 2 and a half hrs of that show every week was a bit much I think.

Was quite surprised at some of the video clips. I think Countdown Revolution was at 6.30pm each weeknight? Some of those videos would never be shown in that timeslot these days - such as Madonna's Express Yourself clip which looked like the full version.

Did anyone notice Adam Thompson, the guy from Chocolate Starfish in a former band? He had blonde hair and a very NICE jacket. Geez, hard to believe he went bald and rocked out 5 years later...and also the young boy from Les Miserables play, who would go on to play Michael in 'GP' (ABC series from 1989-1996) for a number of years. A bit weird that a kid that age was singing 'I Want Your Sex'!

Of course, I also remember watching this episode in its day as I remember Eurythmics 'I Need A Man' video & 'Stutter Rap' & 'Crash'. 'China In Your Hand' should have been a huge hit here, as it was a No.1 in the UK.

I went to bed after the Stacey Q video (which seems to be heavily edited at the end, unfortunately) and am yet to watch the rest. While I'm glad The Factory got a look-in, I was hoping for music highlights rather than a full 3 hour show. But yes, it's still interesting to see.

I think Countdown Revolution may have actually been on at 6pm, rather than 6:30, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, they did play the live segments of Crowded House on Rage during retro month a few years ago. A bit of a waste with the repeat.

I'm pretty sure Countdown Revolution was on at 6pm. We always had dinner at 6pm sharp and I remember having to turn the TV around to face the kitchen table while eating dinner. Don't think I did it all the time, but I wanted to see the Eurythmics new video - Revival.

Was Countdown Revolution filmed at the Metro nightclub for the entirety of its 18 month run?

I know it alternated with the Ripponlea studios and the Metro during 1989 but I seem to recall in 1990 it was all filmed at Ripponlea - anyone know?

ohnoitisnathan
I think Countdown Revolution may have actually been on at 6pm, rather than 6:30, but I'm not 100% sure.

It started at 6:30pm but after about 5 weeks it moved to 6pm

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Thanks for clarifying that Guru.

Thanks for clearing that up Guru.

So I’m guessing it moved to 6pm as the original 6.30 timeslot would have placed it directly opposite Neighbours and Home & Away which were then in the same timeslots? Made sense not to compete for basically the same teen market – although perhaps they should have thought of that before they started showing it....

GOD! Those ads make me feel old!

Patrick
Was Countdown Revolution filmed at the Metro nightclub for the entirety of its 18 month run?

I know it alternated with the Ripponlea studios and the Metro during 1989 but I seem to recall in 1990 it was all filmed at Ripponlea - anyone know?

It permanently shifted back to Ripponlea sometime during 1990.

Patrick
Thanks for clearing that up Guru.

So I’m guessing it moved to 6pm as the original 6.30 timeslot would have placed it directly opposite Neighbours and Home & Away which were then in the same timeslots? Made sense not to compete for basically the same teen market – although perhaps they should have thought of that before they started showing it....

Yep - Home & Away and A Current Affair would have been killing it in the ratings at 6.30pm which is the reason it was shifted back to 6.00pm. I never watched it in either slot, although there were some great studio performances I missed over its time span. Luckily some of them were repeated on Rage in 2008 including Faith No More "Epic" (about the only grunge-rap type of track I actually liked at the time) and Mental As Anything's "World Seems Difficult" - a great, under-rated song which should have been far more successful. I am hoping Rage can dig out more music segments from the show - especially the "live" ones shot at the Metro and back at Ripponlea. Forget all the film clips shown at the time - common as muck.

And that "protest" episode from June 1990 is still a classic, even if it all looks a bit silly now!! This would not happen today - it would be yanked off the air in literally seconds.

Patrick

Patrick, it was INDEED filmed just in Ripponlea in 1990. Most of the shows I went to were at Ripplonlea. I only went to one Metro show which was The Batdance one. In 1990 I went to a further 3 shows or so at The Ripponlea studios, I also went to 2 in 1989 at Ripponlea. The Metro was only used for the first half on the show, maybe to create some hype... After 1989 The Metro was no longer used!

Ok interesting information there - thanks for clearing that up.

Perhaps the show should have stayed at the Metro - seemed to have far more atmosphere really and made the show a little different outside of the normal studio set.

Yes I remember that Faith No More clip - where the singer made a total mockery of the miming issue and did what he liked - great footage too.

I think the show was better when they crossed from The Metro to the ABC studios. When it just went to the ABC studios it lacked something.

Countdown was 101% fine just at the ABC studios because the era was so amazing that it didn't need any extra boost!

Exactly and it was sort of a shame Countdown Revolution didn't get some of the bands/singers themselves to host the show. I think that's what made the original Countdown so special as we got to see the performers do something else.

Having 3 hosts initially for C. Rev. was a mistake as was having it 5 nights a week - a bit too much to ask for audiences I think. Should have been 1 hr a week in a prime time slot and not called Countdown!

Um, in a matter of 11 months which is how long C.Rev went for they had the 3 hosts rage have been showing PLUS the black lesbian, the heavy metal guy, chook, mark little and tania lacey. That really was JUST ridiculouuuus!

I know, the show never really had its own identity and having so many hosts just highlighted that.

Would have been much better having just maybe Lisa as the host and have the main performers co-host too. It's easy being wise in hindsight but the show really needed far more work to it before it ever aired - a wasted opportunity really.

Crowded House seemed to be almost angry at the ABC whilst on The Factory. There were a few gibes aimed at the ABC and they wouldn't cooperate fully when making the promos at the end.

Either that, or they were just tired, or playing up and being typical rockstars.

I must admit to never liking Crowded House much at all. I love Split Enz and think their early songs are fantastic but Crowded House never did anything for me. I know others love them so each to their own.

I noticed on one of the 1987 Countdowns they actually performed one of their songs live instead of miming it. I wonder if they refused to mime and insisted on being 'live'? Maybe that was why they didn't like the ABC much? Not sure.

Crowded House S U C K, from the brilliance of Split Enz to S H I T Crowded House, lol

Definitely Split Enz over Crowded House, but their debut album and Woodface are iconic albums.

I like most of the Crowded House single releases from the 'Woodface' (not 'It's Only Natural' though) & 'Together Alone' (but not 'Locked Out') albums a lot. But yes, at other times, their songs were a mite bland.

Loving this episode of The Factory and the show in general. Here's to more full episodes in the future. I can't believe the rage moderator said some people loved it and some people hated it. Shoot the haters now!