Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
retro 3 playlist

PLAYLIST

9:59am

YOKO ONO Walking On Thin Ice (Polydor)

10:00am

GANGGAJANG Initiation (Polydor)
SPANDAU BALLET True (Festival)
SPANDAU BALLET Gold (Festival)
CYNDI LAUPER What's Going On (Sony)
KATE BUSH The Big Sky (EMI)
XTC Senses Working Overtime (Virgin)

10:30am

CROWDED HOUSE It's Only Natural (EMI)
HOODOO GURUS What's My Scene (BMG)
HOODOO GURUS Miss Freelove '69 (BMG)
THE BANGLES Manic Monday (Festival)
PRINCE U Got The Look (Warner)
ADEVA Warning! (Chrysalis)
SOUL II SOUL Back To Life (Virgin)

12:00am

NU SHOOZ I Can't Wait (Atlantic)
YUKIHIRO TAKAHASHI Walking To The Beat (Fest/Mush)
YOKO ONO Hell In Paradise (Festival)
LAURIE ANDERSON Beautiful Red Dress (Warner)
LA TOYA JACKSON You're Gonna Get Rocked (RCA)
COUNTDOWN November 4th, 1984 - Lin Buckfield (Rage)
ELECTRIC PANDAS Let's Gamble (Warner)
ELECTRIC PANDAS Big Girls (Warner)
ELECTRIC PANDAS Missing Me (Fest/Mush)
COUNTDOWN March 24th, 1985 - Spandau Ballet (Rage)
SPANDAU BALLET Chant No. 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On) (Festival)
SPANDAU BALLET Paint Me Down (Festival)
COUNTDOWN July 20th, 1986 - Russell Mulcahy (Rage)
COUNTDOWN March 22nd, 1987 - Chantoozies (Rage)
CHANTOOZIES Witch Queen (Mushroom)
THE CHANTOOZIES Wanna Be Up (Mushroom)

4:30am

CHANTOOZIES Love The One You're With (Mushroom)
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS They'll Need A Crane (Liberation)
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Purple Toupee (BMG)
HUXTON CREEPERS I Will Persuade You (Fuse)
BIG BLACK Fish Fry (Shock)
THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN Sidewalking (Warner)
GALAXIE 500 Blue Thunder (Festival)
XTC Grass (Virgin)
IT'S IMMATERIAL Driving Away From Home (Jim's Tune) (Virgin)

5:00am

COUNTDOWN REVOLUTION Episode 1, July 3rd, 1989 (Rage)
DEBORAH HARRY French Kissing In The USA (EMI)

5:30am

PET SHOP BOYS Heart (EMI)
PET SHOP BOYS Domino Dancing (Parlophone)
LIZA MINNELLI Losing My Mind (Epic)
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY Wishing Well (Sony)
KATE BUSH The Sensual World (EMI)
KATE BUSH This Woman's Work (EMI)
GEORGE MICHAEL Praying For Time (Epic)

6:00am

ANITA BAKER Sweet Love (Elektra)
CYNDI LAUPER Change Of Heart (Sony)
INNER CITY Big Fun (Festival)
808 STATE Cubik (Warner)
808 STATE Pacific State (WEA)
TOSHINORI KONDO Tokyo Girl (Epic)
ENIGMA Sadeness (Virgin)

Re: retro 3 playlist

Still waiting on individual timings everyone, hang in there.

Let's see what repeats we've got this week

Aired since 1998:

Saturday morning:

YOKO ONO Walking On Thin Ice (Polydor)
SPANDAU BALLET True (Festival)
SPANDAU BALLET Gold (Festival)
CYNDI LAUPER What's Going On (Sony)
KATE BUSH The Big Sky (EMI)
XTC Senses Working Overtime (Virgin)
CROWDED HOUSE It's Only Natural (EMI)
HOODOO GURUS What's My Scene (BMG)
HOODOO GURUS Miss Freelove '69 (BMG)
THE BANGLES Manic Monday (Festival)
PRINCE U Got The Look (Warner)
ADEVA Warning! (Chrysalis)
SOUL II SOUL Back To Life (Virgin)

Saturday night:

NU SHOOZ I Can't Wait (Atlantic)
YUKIHIRO TAKAHASHI Walking To The Beat (Fest/Mush)
YOKO ONO Hell In Paradise (Festival)
ELECTRIC PANDAS Big Girls (Warner)
ELECTRIC PANDAS Missing Me (Fest/Mush)
SPANDAU BALLET Paint Me Down (Festival)
CHANTOOZIES Witch Queen (Mushroom)
CHANTOOZIES Love The One You're With (Mushroom)
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS They'll Need A Crane (Liberation)
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Purple Toupee (BMG)
BIG BLACK Fish Fry (Shock)
THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN Sidewalking (Warner)
GALAXIE 500 Blue Thunder (Festival)
DEBORAH HARRY French Kissing In The USA (EMI)
PET SHOP BOYS Domino Dancing (Parlophone)
LIZA MINNELLI Losing My Mind (Epic)
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY Wishing Well (Sony)
KATE BUSH The Sensual World (EMI)
KATE BUSH This Woman's Work (EMI)
CYNDI LAUPER Change Of Heart (Sony)
INNER CITY Big Fun (Festival)
808 STATE Cubik (Warner)
808 STATE Pacific State (WEA)

Seriously, with a library of over 30,000 videos, it's disappointing to see SO many repeated clips this retro month. Again, many of these aired within the last 2 years.

Absolutely.

Big Fun by Inner City?... That was played on NYE!!!

Walking To A Beat was a treat on the night of Iva Davis which was a month ago, why again?

I Can't Wait played on Wild Card!

Jason 'The Moderator'
Absolutely.

Big Fun by Inner City?... That was played on NYE!!!

Walking To A Beat was a treat on the night of Iva Davis which was a month ago, why again?

I Can't Wait played on Wild Card!

It was 'Good Life' by Inner City they played on NYE, but 'Big Fun' aired in 2008.

Yep, they've taken a few from past Wildcards (thus making them not 'Wild card' anymore) - Liza Minnelli, Electric Pandas 'Big Girls' were also on Wildcard episodes, as was 'I Can't Wait'. That Adeva video was on the Mardi Gras special last year.

And yes, ridiculous they're repeating that clip featured on the Iva Davies special.

They also love re-hashing the same Kate Bush clips. I'm surprised it wasn't 'Running Up That Hill', 'Cloudbusting' or 'Hounds of Love' instead.

I'm glad to see a Countdown Revolution episode, but only one?

Heaaavenly, LA TOYA JACKSON with You're Gonna Get Rocked on rage Saturday night!... I first recorded this on rage in 1988 and it's finally back on again. I bought the 12"... from Brashs the week after Is aw it on rage in 1988. CLASSIC *****

oshinori Kondo IMA "Tokyo Girl" and IT'S IMMATERIAL Driving Away From Home (Jim's Tune) also on rage...

More common, repeated clips between 8 and 10am Saturday morning:

ARETHA FRANKLIN Shoop Shoop Song (Festival)
ROBERT PALMER Addicted To Love (Festival)
MADONNA Burning Up (Warner)
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN Xanadu (Festival)
LIMAHL Never Ending Story (EMI)
SPICE GIRLS Wannabe (Virgin)

You get Ladytron again just before the 10-11 slot, Jason:

LADYTRON Mirage (Shock)

Worst...retro...month...ever

While I adored all the Hit Scene's on "Week 2"...they should not have been all played together in one night.

The repeat of the Countdown ep. last week was an appalling decision...and an enormous disappointment.

The choice of videos this weekend is entirely uninspired, there's nothing truly rare in there that I can see (at least there was a sprinkling of TRUE rarities the week before).

The Countdown eps for me this week are just bland. I don't know if any of them are repeats ? I hope not. I will stress though that my response to them is largely to do with the fact that my interest level in Countdown nose-dives after 1984, and in music in general it all but completely evaporates after about 1987 (which means next week I won't be watching at all).

If all 4 eps this weekend are "new" (as in they haven't been shown since originally aired) then credit to rage for that, and they *do* deserve the credit for it. It's just a shame that for me personally this era does not interest me for the most part, and I wish they weren't all on in one block rather than all mixed up across the entire month as has been the formula in previous years.

I've hated this decade by decade approach, which has seen all the '60s stuff shown in one night, the '70s all but ignored and replaced with the '80s split over two weekends.

Next week obviously being the '90s (and presumably early '00s) is just going to be vile.

So disappointed after waiting all year for this.

The decision to repeat the episode last weekend that had been shown the year before will be remembered as one of the most blatant slap-in-the-face gestures that rage has ever made towards us...and I honestly don't understand why they did it. It *was* out of character for them. I do believe that overall they do an extraordinary job with Retro Month, but this year has been an enormous disappointment for me. I don't know if they are under resourced, or if it was all left too late this year...or if someone who had previously been really passionate about Retro Month is no longer there...I just don't understand

Anyway, it's over for me for this year...sad.

The 90's next week will indeed be horrid. As I've said I love early to mid 90's brit pop but loathe the type of JJJ/Nick Cave crap that usually gets shown.

Anyway aside from the lack of Flashez I'm happy with the Countdowns this weekend..love the mid 80's shows especially the one hosted by the Spands. 1987 shows are blah but as this one is hosted by The Chantoozies it might be fun.

Gary
The 90's next week will indeed be horrid. As I've said I love early to mid 90's brit pop but loathe the type of JJJ/Nick Cave crap that usually gets shown.

I know, I imagine it will be something like this (I have an inkling I've already done one of these parody playlists on here, so forgive me for the repeat if so):

Saturday morning retro clips between 8 and 10:

LENNY KRAVITZ Are You Gonna Go My Way
NIRVANA Come As You Are
PEARL JAM Go
GUNS N' ROSES Live and Let Die

10-11am slot:

GREEN JELLY Three Little Pigs
NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS Do You Love Me
RATCAT That Ain't Bad
NIRVANA In Bloom
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS Vasoline
SILVERCHAIR Tomorrow
UGLY KID JOE Cat's In the Cradle
GREEN DAY Basketcase
PEARL JAM Alive
SMASHING PUMPKINS Rhinoceros
HOLE Miss World
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE Killing In the Name
BLIND MELON No Rain
RADIOHEAD Creep

Saturday night:

NICK CAVE Into My Arms
NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS Stagger Lee
NICK CAVE & PJ HARVEY Henry Lee
NICK CAVE & KYLIE MINOGUE Where the Wild Roses Grow
NICK CAVE live in concert - 1 hour special
RECOVERY - 1st episode, 1996
NICK CAVE - live on RECOVERY Into My Arms
NIRVANA Smells Like Teen Spirit
NIRVANA Lithium
NIRVANA - UNPLUGGED About a Girl
RECOVERY J-FILE Nirvana
PEARL JAM Even Flow
RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS Give It Away
RECOVERY 1997 episode featuring Silverchair live in studio
10:30 SLOT - 1st episode, 1999
TRIPLE J TV episode
THE WHITLAMS No Aphrodisiac
THE OFFSPRING Come Out and Play
SMASHING PUMPKINS Bullet With Butterfly Wings
NINE INCH NAILS Closer
PRESIDENTS OF THE USA Lump
TISM (He'll Never Be an) Ole Man River
SPIDERBAIT Buy Me a Pony
BEN LEE Cigarettes Will Kill You
HOLE Celebrity Skin
NICK CAVE guest programming Rage highlights

Did you all see on the blurb for this weekend, on Saturday morning it has:

rage also has a not-to-be-missed sneak peek of a couple of great cover songs from triple j’s recent Nick Cave tribute! [This part isn't a parody, unfortunately ]

Gary

Anyway aside from the lack of Flashez I'm happy with the Countdowns this weekend..love the mid 80's shows especially the one hosted by the Spands. 1987 shows are blah but as this one is hosted by The Chantoozies it might be fun.

The '87's are very BLASAAAAH, I agree... But, after Ally telling me in our interview about wearing the dark round glasses e.t.c. I want to see it. I am sure I saw this episode in 1987 as I recorded Dead Or Alive and Boy George on all Countdown's from that period!

I still think this weeks is great. 1984 will bring back memories of my last month of HS. I did like the Electric Pandas and saw them 'Live' I'm pretty sure.

Chantoozies were another fav, although just as much for the music, as the hot ladies in the group.

Countdown revolution won't be that appealing as the 80s were closing by this time. Pop music was changing too, with that electronic stuff and New Kids coming out.

A 90s retro will suck, even at my age the 90s were bland for pop music.

The RAGE website has February 4th listed as a RETRO night also. So we not get the 90s till then. Unless we get 2 90s nights.

ohnoitisnathan
I know, I imagine it will be something like this (I have an inkling I've already done one of these parody playlists on here, so forgive me for the repeat if so):

NICK CAVE live in concert - 1 hour special
NICK CAVE guest programming Rage highlights

Thought these were nice touches. Pure torture! What is it about this guys "music" that appeals to so many,so dreary & depressing

abbaluke
The choice of videos this weekend is entirely uninspired, there's nothing truly rare in there that I can see (at least there was a sprinkling of TRUE rarities the week before).

The Countdown eps for me this week are just bland. I don't know if any of them are repeats ? I hope not. I will stress though that my response to them is largely to do with the fact that my interest level in Countdown nose-dives after 1984, and in music in general it all but completely evaporates after about 1987 (which means next week I won't be watching at all).

I've hated this decade by decade approach, which has seen all the '60s stuff shown in one night, the '70s all but ignored and replaced with the '80s split over two weekends.

I agree, abbaluke.

They've virtally ignored the 70s this year.

Like you, I'm not much interested in Countdowns after 1983.
The late 70s/early 80s ones are by far the best.

Chantoozies = Happy Sean...that is all!

Did anyone else notice the ABC1 watermark disappearing temporarily during George Michael's 'Praying For Time' clip? Maybe the 'words on the screen' did it... Maybe we should all be praying for the removal of the watermark

ohnoitisnathan
Did anyone else notice the ABC1 watermark disappearing temporarily during George Michael's 'Praying For Time' clip? Maybe the 'words on the screen' did it... Maybe we should all be praying for the removal of the watermark

I didn't notice that but yes, let's all start praying!

rage did very WELL on the past weekend.

Great that they mixed it up, when the show is mixed up it's so much more enjoyable.

That whole night of 60s is an example of how they did TO MUCH of one thing in one night. If they played 2 of the Countdown's on that night and then left some of the 60s stuff for the weekend after it would have made the majority of ppl watching rage more happy...

Anyhow, when rage do things BRILLIANTLY they really do deserve applause and the past weekend was a fine example of getting it right!

Yes they sure did. I'm always happy to point out their errors but am happy to give them applause when they give it right - which is what I want to do all the time!

Last Saturday was great and they should do that more often. However I think Rage should stop showing video clips in between shows and simply air the shows themselves back to back. Rage can air video clips any other time in the year, even rare ones. Would rather they do that than take up valuable space in January.

As far as rage go I am one of THE only ones which gave them POSITIVE feedback and praised them on everything they played on Saturday 14th January EXCEPT for the Ignatius repeat.

Yet, they act like I am full of criticism, it's crazy I TELL YOU!

SydneySean
ohnoitisnathan

I didn't notice that but yes, let's all start praying!

The watermark was gone for a whole 14 seconds (yes I counted). A small step in the right direction, but a step at least.

Don't get to excited. The Watermark dissapeared for the same amount of time the weekend before on a video around the 6 am mark or so.

Does anybody remember the fact that there were actually two clips for George Michael's Praying For Time? The first one was the one played last weekend consisting of just the lyrics. The second one had George actually performing the song in a studio with the lyrics from the first clip rolling on the bottom of the screen.

The story I read at the time was that the first clip was unofficial and produced by the record company (which George was in dispute with at the time) because George refused to produce a clip for the song. George must have relented with the second clip judging by his on-screen appearance. Neither one of the clips appear on his Greatest Hits DVD.

The second clip is now apparently rare. I recorded both clips at the time off the Rage Top 50. I've considered posting the second clip to YouTube, but George is a client of Web Sheriff and I don't want to suffer another copyright strike which would close my channel down

Hoin, I remember the 2 'Praying For Time' clips! Rage initially aired the 'words on screen' version (the same one that aired on Rage last weekend) in the top 60 (as it was then), and then later used the 'George in studio' version. Initially, there was no video shown in the top 60, and I remember reading in Smash Hits that George said he wasn't going to make any videos for the single releases from 'Listen Without Prejudice Volume 1'.

I was thinking about this after the recent airing on Rage. I wouldn't be surprised if he relented and made the second version to appease the American record company, to promote the single's release there. If I remember correctly, it was a fairly plain/simple video, with George miming the song in the studio whilst wearing headphones.

A friend and I often at the 'shot for America' video clips from back then, which nearly always show the artist performing the song "live" with a band and microphone in their hands.

PS Hoin - the way to circumvent youtube's ridiculous '3 copyright strikes and you're out' policy is to create multiple accounts. I've got 23 youtube accounts now, with about 20 videos on each, so I don't lose the lot if an account gets suspended again (as has happened twice to me, losing over 300 videos each time). So far, this plan has worked for me (going 2+ years now with no account suspensions). The only downside is that most of my videos don't get as many views as they used to, when they were all on the one account. You have to register each account to a different email address (yahoo is your friend if you want to avoid google's ridiculous text message verification code thingie).