Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Do Listen

Last year I conducted a poll on this site in which at least 10 members took part in voting for the episodes they would most like to see. The following were the results of the voting which I posted on the Rage Messageboard in July.

Using a 3-2-1 voting system in the order that people have nominated episodes brings an updated tally thus far as follows:

11 votes Aug 3 (Dugites)
5 votes March 2 (Judie Tzuke)
4 votes Aug 17 (radio DJ's)
3 votes Sept 28 (individual bands)
2 votes June 8 (Darryl Cotton)
1 vote Oct 12, March 9 and Sept 7

10 votes (5 people) May 17 (Ignatius Jones)
10 votes (4 people) May 10 (Sheena Easton)
3 votes Feb 22 (Little Nell)
3 votes Sept 29 (standby program Wendy Stapleton)
2 votes Oct 25 (Sharon O'Neill)
1 vote Nov 8, March 15, Sept 2

7 votes Aug 1 (Eurogliders)
4 votes Sept 26 (Billy Field)
4 votes April 25 (Split Enz)
3 votes Sept 5 (Billy Miller)
3 votes March 21 (Molly interviews Duran)
3 votes Jan 3 (Summer Special NZ Bands)
2 votes Sept 19 (Globos)
2 votes Oct 31 (Australian Made)
2 votes Jan Jan 10 (Summer Special Export bands)
1 vote Aug 29 and Feb 28

9 votes May 8 (Eurogliders)
6 votes June 19 (Bonnie Tyler)
5 votes April 10 (Globos)
4 votes May 22 (Molly)
3 votes Oct 2 (Marc Hunter)
2 votes Aug 26 (Greedy Smith)
1 vote July 10

9 votes Nov 4 (Lyn Buckfield)
7 votes Dec 2 (Molly)
6 votes Oct 14 (Los Trios Ringbarkus)
3 votes Dec 9 (Molly)
3 votes Aug 26 (Molly)
1 vote Aug 19 and June 3

6 votes March 24 (Spandau Ballet)
6 votes April 14 (Tom Carroll)
5 votes Nov 10 (Koo De Tah)
3 votes Oct 13 (Lyn Buckfield)
3 votes Feb 10 (Kate Ceberano)
2 votes July 14 (Molly)
2 votes June 16 (Molly)
2 votes April 7 (Molly)
1 vote Oct 6 (Rockhampton)

10 votes July 20 (Russell Mulcahy)
3 votes Nov 2 (Elton John)
3 votes May 25 (Video Story Board)
3 votes June 15 (Brian Canham)
2 votes Nov 23 (Australian Made tour)
1 vote Oct 26, March 2 and Sept 7

13 votes March 22 (Chantoozies)
6 votes Feb 22 (David Reyne)
5 votes March 15 (Cockroaches)
4 votes May 31 (Painters & Dockers)
3 votes March 1 (Dave Stewart)
3 votes June 14 (Warrick Capper)

They have played the most popular picks by us - collectively - for 1980 and 1981 (last week) along with 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987 (this week). I can only assume that they made a mistake when selecting the Aug 16 rather than the May 17 Ignatius Jones episode.

They also played the much requested Rock n Roll Ladies Sharon O'Neill episode.

The clips during last week's show also included many rarities.

Apart from that one repeat and a penchant for showing clips that have aired in more recent times I think they have done a great job this year in trying to please all the varied requests.

Re: Rage Do Listen

Just someone had date dyslexia with the most popular 1981 episode

To a degree they have and indeed the unrepeated Countdowns last week and the ones apparently to be played this weekend have been great.

I just have a major issue in them repeating that 16/8/81 episode. The programmers could easily have done a basic check on what was aired last year to do their planning. Anyway I've already gone on about it and will stop there.

Week 1 could have been better in terms of less Hitscenes and maybe have a balance of 60s/70s - put on some Flashez as well as Hitscenes. 8 Hitscenes in 1 night was a bit much. The other items were interesting though - even if I'm not a huge fan of that era.

When they apply themselves Rage can do a great job in terms of Retro season....although I always love to see more Countdowns of course. It's nice seeing they have paid attention to what Countdowns people want and I give them credit for that.

It's very frustrating being a viewer and not in charge of the Retro season - I reckon I'd do a great job!

Patrick
To a degree they have and indeed the unrepeated Countdowns last week and the ones apparently to be played this weekend have been great.

I just have a major issue in them repeating that 16/8/81 episode. The programmers could easily have done a basic check on what was aired last year to do their planning. Anyway I've already gone on about it and will stop there.

Week 1 could have been better in terms of less Hitscenes and maybe have a balance of 60s/70s - put on some Flashez as well as Hitscenes. 8 Hitscenes in 1 night was a bit much. The other items were interesting though - even if I'm not a huge fan of that era.

When they apply themselves Rage can do a great job in terms of Retro season....although I always love to see more Countdowns of course. It's nice seeing they have paid attention to what Countdowns people want and I give them credit for that.

I think we all agree, and have mentioned both here and on Rage, that the repeat was a major disappointment. But, it has happened and is now history. The rest of the Countdowns this week look fantastic.

I, more than anyone, have petitioned Rage not to repeat material. glendo even referred to me indirectly as heading the Repeat Police. I would be happy to head that department should it ever be created.

I remember watching Rage through the 90's and was constantly disappointed by the 70's repeats they would show every year and we had very few 80's episodes for a long time. The 1976 Sherbet episode was shown 4 times between 1994 and 2002 while the Iggy Pop episode from 1979 was also aired 4 times - shown every 2 years between 1994 and 2000. By comparison we get a much better deal these days.

I would also have structured the programming differently by spreading out the material from the different eras. 8 Hitscenes in one night was too much in one go and they could have spread it out over the 4 nights with 2 episodes each week. We had a similar situation in 1997 when they showed 20 Countdowns - all from the 70's and mostly from 1979. It felt like every episode had The Knack, Boomtown Rats, Roger Voudouros etc on it and I was just screaming out for an 80's episode for variety.

Although they have played some rare clips, there are also a lot of common ones. I would have played the rare clips - like Ya Ya Choral last week which I had never seen before - in the morning slot and not shown any at night. That way we could have had other items such as Flashez included on the nights.

Patrick
It's very frustrating being a viewer and not in charge of the Retro season - I reckon I'd do a great job!

If it was up to me it would just be wall to wall Countdown, Rock Arena and music shows that cover the 1979 to 1987 period. Like the format was in the late 90's but without all the repeats.

But I content myself by at least trying to have an influence on some of the programming and guiding them in the right direction. I think the best way to do that is to accept that all eras get played and to appreciate the items they do play when it covers your particular era.

We will get 6 fantastic Countdowns, the Sharon O'Neill Rock Arena and other items that have great interest. I will stay positive with the good things they show and not get down about the rest.

Some things about Rage's programming may be annoying at times but we must remember that they are our only access to Countdown and without them we would have nothing. I prefer not to bite the hand that feeds and be appreciative of the fact I do get to see something every year, even if it doesn't feel like it is enough.

Yes, Rage listen... but do they 'learn'? Again, there are many common, repeated music videos this weekend.

ohnoitisnathan
Yes, Rage listen... but do they 'learn'? Again, there are many common, repeated music videos this weekend.

That is an unfortunate quirk that they have. We can only try to guide them towards the light.

3 of the episodes this weekend are 3 I have had on my request list so I am happy this weekend...

If that's the case then I'm going to put in a request for some Flashez segments for next jan.

ohnoitisnathan

Nathan, the playlist has just gone up and there are more common clips again. I will just concentrate on the fantastic Countdowns.

While I have been less than impressed by Rage's handling of last week's 1981 Countdown fiasco, this week's playlist is much better.

It seems Rage have made an effort this week with a broad mix of items and it shows what a little thought and care can do in presenting something worthwhile.

I would imagine next week will have the dreaded Recovery episode but maybe perhaps a 1990 Countdown Revolution episode or two?

rage listen when they have a whole TONE of people complaining, that is when they listen!!!

Because they know they F U C K E D up last weekend, LOL!

And YES Patrick, I am rather sure next weekend will be drongo night with 90s Recovery rubbish from H E L L ... So all up there have been 2 nights of Countdown through January if that's the case. Ah dear ... I most certainly will not be tuning in next week if that's the case, terrible business.

I'll admit it this Retro month is the best I've seen in years whether Rage has stuff it up or not.

CJ, I hope for both our sakes the last Retro weekend isn't the s h i t 1990's rubbish. If that's the case I won't be watching. Then again Rage has to a least please the 90's fans at some extent.

They haven't played much from the 1970's so far and I was hoping the 5th weekend is certainly that.