Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some highlights from "week 1"

...or was it week 2...pfffft.

Doug Parkinson & In Focus doing "Dear Prudence"...I know it's been shown before...but utterly hypnotic and beautiful.

Barry Ryan - Love Is Love...so out there, weird and amazing !

Nina Simone - Revolution. Again I'm pretty sure this has been shown before...but what a performance, and her two backing singers were FIERCE !!!

"Sonny Charles of The Checkmates Ltd." doing "Black Pearl" DESTROYED me ! It was amazing to watch in 2012...imagine what it must have been like in 1969 ! Absolutely beautiful. It sounds like HEAVEN to me...

Biggest WTF moment from Saturday night was some guy called Garry Cassica (?) doing a song called "Columbine". OMFG I had tears of laughter rolling down my face. The poor guy was obviously terrified and looked like a gay Thunderbird lol. Anyone know anything more about this chap ? Can't find a single reference to him on the interweb.

The Ned Kelly vox-pops were pure GOLD !

The story about the mods vs. sharpies and all the trouble around them...incredible !

Story about why young people go out to discotheques...again, incredible seeing youth of the late '60s out and about and speaking candidly about their lives...jaw dropping to see that all these years later.

ALL the '70s stuff was incredible ! Noosa Fox, Ian Drury, TMG, Babes Discotheque...totally adored it.

All in all an incredible start to retro month for me, just loved it and was utterly riveted by most of it.

Re: Some highlights from "week 1"

abbaluke

Doug Parkinson & In Focus doing "Dear Prudence"...I know it's been shown before...but utterly hypnotic and beautiful.

A great version of a Beatles classic. Doug has an amazing voice and did the song justice. Not something you can often say of a Beatles cover.

Hi Luke, you don't work at rage do you?

It could be the first and last time Rage will show 8 episodes of Hitscene.

I thought the Fusions show was ok. I was on an LSD trip just watching it.

It was like going through a timewarp on Saturday night. At least these episodes were never shown on Rage before.

Haha...nope I'm just fortunate enough to genuinely enjoy all the '60s stuff (almost...but not quite) as much as the '70s & early '80s stuff. That being said...anything after about '86 is boring to me...and anything after '90 is as repulsive to me as it appears the '60s stuff was to many of the regulars here, which is a shame. But I also recognise that rage has an incredibly difficult job trying to please its broad demographic, and I happen to think they do an amazing job...just amazing !

Biggest WTF moment from Saturday night was some guy called Garry Cassica (?) doing a song called "Columbine". OMFG I had tears of laughter rolling down my face. The poor guy was obviously terrified and looked like a gay Thunderbird lol.

Yes, that was unintentionally HILARIOUS!
The poor guy was just so nervous and awkward.
Loved Dick's unconvincing comment at the end of the performance after he
tap-danced.."Maybe soft shoes are on the way back" or something similar.
Probably trying to make the poor guy feel a little better.[

The Ned Kelly vox-pops were pure GOLD !

Especially loved those two little kids with the squeaky voices. Adorable!!

Story about why young people go out to discotheques...again, incredible seeing youth of the late '60s out and about and speaking candidly about their lives...jaw dropping to see that all these years later.!

The dorky, awkward dancing whilst the reporter was asking them questions was a classic...pure "Kath and Kel". [/quote]

abbaluke

Biggest WTF moment from Saturday night was some guy called Garry Cassica (?) doing a song called "Columbine". OMFG I had tears of laughter rolling down my face. The poor guy was obviously terrified and looked like a gay Thunderbird lol. Anyone know anything more about this chap ? Can't find a single reference to him on the interweb.

I obviously fast forwarded through that performance, and deleted it without watching. Anyone care to upload it to youtube

Christina

The dorky, awkward dancing whilst the reporter was asking them questions was a classic...pure "Kath and Kel".
:)):))

I loved the little blond fella who said something like "awwww excuse me, when's this gonna be on TV"

reporter: "it'll be on the ABC"

kid: "monday night...8.30 ?"

reporter: "yes"

kid: "awww...you bewdy"

Farken GOLD !!!! LOLOL

That Ned Kelly clip was amusing - loved the bit where Dick asked one of the guys who they think should play Ned Kelly and they said 'Rolf Harris' - you gotta laugh!

yes that performance from that guy who looked like a Thunderbird on Hitscene was really kitsch - but he did look good wearing a cravat though!

abbaluke
Christina

The dorky, awkward dancing whilst the reporter was asking them questions was a classic...pure "Kath and Kel".
:)):))

I loved the little blond fella who said something like "awwww excuse me, when's this gonna be on TV"

Farken GOLD !!!! LOLOL

That Blonde kid was HEAVEN, I agree!

Farken GOLD !!!! LOLOL

And then skipped away off camera , with a big dopey grin on his face..

Wasn't he brilliant!!

Yeah, that Rolf Harris comment was a classic as well.

That lead singer from Steppenwolf , John Kay, was a pretty cool, hip looking dude...

ohnoitisnathan

I obviously fast forwarded through that performance, and deleted it without watching. Anyone care to upload it to youtube

Hey Nathan...it's been uploaded to youtube (not by me) here:

http://youtu.be/cx9TC1uDY_U

Unfortunately the very awkward interviews before and after it aren't included here, which is a shame because they had to be seen to get the full idea of how seemingly scared this poor fella seemed to be. Good old Dick tried his best to put him at ease, but all I could think of was "deer in headlights" LOL

Christina

And then skipped away off camera , with a big dopey grin on his face..

Wasn't he brilliant!!

Yep...loved him, literally laughed out loud when I saw him. Wonder where he is today...if he's still with us. Hope so, and hope he's had a good life. Wonder if he had any idea at all it was shown again...probably not. Bless his cotton socks

The link of this guy Gary Keseker singing, I must have missed this while watching Yazoo after being bored senseless.

He is camp, he is almost like a robotic puppet which I am loving. WOW, is this guy real?... Could see him being winded up once his batteries stopped.

Kind of spewing I didn't keep the IQ copy now just for this clip!!!

abbaluke

Hey Nathan...it's been uploaded to youtube (not by me) here:

http://youtu.be/cx9TC1uDY_U

Unfortunately the very awkward interviews before and after it aren't included here, which is a shame because they had to be seen to get the full idea of how seemingly scared this poor fella seemed to be. Good old Dick tried his best to put him at ease, but all I could think of was "deer in headlights" LOL

Thanks for the link. Very interesting 'dancing'. He looks a bit stoned, too.

Anyone care to upload the interview?

Well, a quick google (revealing only 13 search results when quotes are used around his name!) reveals that the b-side to 'Columbine' was 'Felicity Grey', and the catalogue number was SP-006 (Sweet Peach records, how fitting!)

The South Australian State Library has it in their collection:

Columbine

Title
Columbine [sound recording] / Bryant - Davidson ; [performed by] Gary Keseker. Felicity Grey / Stewart -Langley ; [performed by] Gary Keseker.
Date
[1969]
Name

Keseker, Gary.
Sweet Peach (Firm)

Description
1 sound disc : 45 rpm, stereo ; 7 in.
Released
[Adelaide] : Sweet Peach, [1969]
Contents

Keseker, Gary. Felicity Grey.

Notes

Produced by Jimmy Stewart.
Musical director & arranger : Phil Cunneen.

Subject/Genre

Popular music -- South Australia -- 1961-1970.
Popular music -- Australia -- 1961-1970.

Issue Number

SP 006

Matrix Number

270 056 TF 1F
MX160027
MX160028
270 056 TF 2F

Language
English
From Collection

State Library of South Australia Shelf: held

Record number

http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-ma-an13115439

Is he the new Joyce?

ohnoitisnathan

Thanks for the link. Very interesting 'dancing'. He looks a bit stoned, too.

Anyone care to upload the interview?

I will, if no one else does...just be patient with me

abbaluke

Yep...loved him, literally laughed out loud when I saw him. Wonder where he is today...if he's still with us. Hope so, and hope he's had a good life. Wonder if he had any idea at all it was shown again...probably not. Bless his cotton socks

That would be so strange,seeing yourself all these years later...

The more I listen to that Steppenwolf song, the more I like it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3PRV5JsTJg

Peace out.

I enjoyed every bit of "rage" this week except the article on discotques with the mods and rockers (OK, it was't bad but it did go on a bit) and that song "Classica Muddly" I have to wonder what they were tripping on when they decided to play that clip! As for the rest, my hard drive is my friend and YouTube is my home. I enjoyed it and I hope everybody else will too.