Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday December 31st rage Goes Retro! - New Years Eve Party Mix

Hmmmm, this is now on the rage website under 'COMING UP'.

I wonder if NYE will just be retro music video's as Party Mix doesn't sound like it will include Countdown, Rock Arena e.t.c till the week after...

Re: Saturday December 31st rage Goes Retro! - New Years Eve Party Mix

I just spotted that as well.

As you say, I hope it is ABC TV music shows and not just a mixture of common clips.

Well, at the very least, Rage have listened to our hopes for 5 weeks of Retro and another week of Retro is better than any guest programmer.

True, True...

So the first proper retro night this year is jan 7th

Here's the program guide from yourtv.com.au :

rage Goes Retro! - New Year's Eve Party Mix

11.35pm - 4am
ABC1
Saturday

ALT. TIMES

Party into the New Year with rage playing all the best retro party classics, all night long. From MC Hammer to Blondie, Kylie Minogue to Bon Jovi, your New Year's Eve playlist is sorted.

It will no doubt go until 6:30; yourtv just has the first Rage slot until 4am on Saturday nights.

I hope they play some rarely seen/not aired for a LONG time clips, instead of the common as muck 'party' classics like 'Groove Is In the Heart' etc.

No doubt the MC Hammer track aired will be 'U Can't Touch This'.

Not forgetting Soft Cell with Tainted Love, Sylvester with Mighty Real, Village People with YMCA, etc, etc, etc, !!

Hope some rare clips are played as well but somehow I doubt it - I wait to be surprised though!

It will be s h i t. Not worth a look in. Just party favourites to please the masses and those that wouldn't really give rage the time of day any other time. I'm sure people will find it hard to party to tunes they don't know too well.

Patrick
Not forgetting Soft Cell with Tainted Love, Sylvester with Mighty Real, Village People with YMCA, etc, etc, etc, !!

But that might be a bit too Mardi Gras though?

Michael
It will be s h i t. Not worth a look in. Just party favourites to please the masses and those that wouldn't really give rage the time of day any other time. I'm sure people will find it hard to party to tunes they don't know too well.

Very true, unfortunately.

Let's see if we can guess what else might be on the playlist:

Pseudo Echo 'Funky Town'
Chic 'Le Freak'
Pointer Sisters 'I'm So Excited'
Blondie 'Heart of Glass' or 'Rapture' (well we know they're gonna be on it)
Madonna 'Holiday'
Madonna 'Into the Groove'
Prince '1999'
Michael Jackson 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough'
Kylie Minogue 'Locomotion' or 'Step Back In Time'
The Prodigy 'Firestarter'
The Chemical Brothers 'Setting Sun'
Daft Punk 'One More Time'
Cyndi Lauper 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun'
Queen 'Bohemian Rhapsody' or 'We Will Rock You'
KISS 'I Was Made For Loving You'
The B-52's 'Love Shack'
Bon Jovi 'Livin' On a Prayer'
ABBA 'Dancing Queen'
Vanilla Ice 'Ice Ice Baby'
Dexy's Midnight Runners 'Come On Eileen'
The Bangles 'Walk Like an Eyptian'
Young MC 'Bust a Move'
P!nk 'Get the Party Started'
Salt N' Pepa 'Push It'
Jackson 5 'I Want You Back '88'
Prince 'Kiss'
Run DMC 'It's Like That'
A-Ha 'Take On Me'
Black Box 'Ride On Time'
Yazz & The Plastic Population 'The Only Way Is Up'
Guru Josh 'Infinity'
Technotronic 'Pump Up the Jam'
Grinspoon 'Just Ace'
Culture Club 'Karma Chameleon'
Wham! 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go'
The Go-Go's 'Our Lips Are Sealed'
Van Halen 'Jump'
Katrina & The Waves 'Walking On Sunshine'
The Buggles 'Video Killed the Radio Star'
Toni Basil 'Mickey'
Laura Branigan 'Gloria'
Madonna 'Vogue'
EMF 'Unbelievable'
Deee-Lite 'Groove Is In the Heart'
2 Unlimited 'Get Ready For This'
DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince 'Boom! Shake the Room'
Right Said Fred 'I'm Too Sexy'
Daft Punk 'Around the World'
Underworld 'Born Slippy'
The KLF '3am Eternal'.

I also have no doubt that we'll be seeing Green Jelly's 'Three Little Pigs' some time during retro month, because someone asked for it on the forum... despite it getting an airing every so often on Rage already.

and Sister Sledge with We Are Family. Could be an entry into a Mardi Gras special but it will probably get yet another spin too - that plus I Go to Rio by Peter Allen.

So true regarding the playlist. The whole thing will no doubt be a complete waste of time and I will make a special effort not to tune in whatsoever. I will not even bother to check the final playlist on the website - it will be identical to that which is predicted here anyway. The same old clips that are played thousands of times on Rage will be pulled out yet again. Thank god the true Retro season starts one week later - only 4 Januarys this year so hope it will be worth the wait - only 12 days to go now!!

Patrick
and Sister Sledge with We Are Family. Could be an entry into a Mardi Gras special but it will probably get yet another spin too - that plus I Go to Rio by Peter Allen.

I was going to put 'We Are Family' on my list, but thought it might be too Mardi Gras... but yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it appears on the playlist. And of course it will be the '93 remix, rather than the original.

Hmmmm...rage preview for Saturday night doesn't give much away, but there's no Countdown :( Glimmer of hope in that it says '80s "classics & rarities"...but it also says "lots of '90s dance and R&B"...pass me a bucket !

It’s time to ring in the New Year with rage, as we count down to midnight with a special retro party mix! For the entire month of January, rage is going retro, cracking open the vaults and dusting off all the vintage goodness we can muster. And the best part is we’re kicking things off this New Year’s Eve!

With a mix of tunes that will have you dancing the night away, make sure you have champagne on ice and party poppers at the ready, as we bring the best NYE party to YOUR living room!

It’s a night chock full of all the 80s classics and rarities you could want, as well as lots of 90s dance and R&B. With clips from acts like Big Audio Dynamite, Madness, 10cc, Janet Jackson, Big Pig, Stone Roses and loads more! This is one NYE bash you can’t miss!

abbaluke
Hmmmm...rage preview for Saturday night doesn't give much away, but there's no Countdown :( Glimmer of hope in that it says '80s "classics & rarities"...but it also says "lots of '90s dance and R&B"...pass me a bucket !

It’s time to ring in the New Year with rage, as we count down to midnight with a special retro party mix! For the entire month of January, rage is going retro, cracking open the vaults and dusting off all the vintage goodness we can muster. And the best part is we’re kicking things off this New Year’s Eve!

With a mix of tunes that will have you dancing the night away, make sure you have champagne on ice and party poppers at the ready, as we bring the best NYE party to YOUR living room!

It’s a night chock full of all the 80s classics and rarities you could want, as well as lots of 90s dance and R&B. With clips from acts like Big Audio Dynamite, Madness, 10cc, Janet Jackson, Big Pig, Stone Roses and loads more! This is one NYE bash you can’t miss!

abbaluke, I know you will defend rage till the bitter end BUT the fact that rage are NOT playing ANY Countdown at all is absolutely disgusting! It will 'TECHNICALLY' be January, 2012 after midnight which SHOULD mean re runs of 70s and 80s ABC programs. I just DON'T get their logic!!! Argh... rage make me SO angry sometimes!!!! Can you tell? Fair enough, have a party mix till 3 am or so and then play at least one Countdown and one Rock Arena. A waste of January time YET again!!! Thank goodness I am going to be in Sydney on NYE seeing Culture Club and Pet Shop Boys seeing rage is so depressing!!! 90s dance and r&b????? Can you save me another bucket Luke???!!!

I do agree with you 100% Jason...this decision doesn't make any sense to me either...I don't understand why there was EVER any question at all that this Sunday's rage would be a part of retro month 2012. And you're absolutely right....the NYE party mix up until about 3am then at least a couple of Countdowns would have been completely logical and appropriate

Also with Molly's recent accident it's very RUDE to not play 1 or 2 Countdown's from 3 am onwards :-( rage are So stubborn!!!

Ok everyone the playlist for the 'Party Mix' this Saturday on Rage has been put up. All I can say to this one is...zzzzzzzzzzzz...

http://www.abc.net.au/rage/archive/s3399634.htm

I hope the rest of January is better than that. I guess it is party music though. What exactly are the "rarities" that they mention?

This is the reason why I hope they only play back to back ABC music shows for when Retro month kicks off properly next week as their choice of individual clips doesn't inspire Retro in me, it just looks like a standard playlist.

Never mind, I will remain positive about the next 4 weeks and hope this is just an aberration.

Maybe REM predict Retro month for us with the last clip to be played on Saturday morning being It's The End Of The World As We Know It.

The playlist itself isn't too bad, but nothing to get too excited over either. I suppose if you were a casual Rage viewer who just happened to turn the TV on New Year's Eve, it wouldn't be too bad. Obviously the Countdown die-hards will be disappointed. There are many repeats of clips that have aired on Rage over the last couple of years.

But... I don't really get overly excited about anything on Rage since the bloomin' watermark appeared. Sure, there have been some great 'rare' clips they've aired since its inception, but the watermark always ruins the experience slightly.

Guru Bob
Maybe REM predict Retro month for us with the last clip to be played on Saturday morning being It's The End Of The World As We Know It.

I took it as a 2012 apocalypse nod

The playlist is an enormous disappointment and looks like it was thrown together with little thought. Barely any Aussie stuff and I can't see a single "rarity" there. They know what is considered rare...the whole subject of what's rare and what isn't is discussed at length and in great detail over at the rage forums. I won't be watching rage at all on Saturday...what a let down I'm really deflated after looking at that playlist. I hope it isn't a harbinger of what to expect for the rest of retro month 2012

Yes, absolutely, unimaginatively disappointing.
Good to see those 2 S'Express clips in there but that's about it.

^ The S-Express clips are good, but both have aired on Rage in the last 7 or so years. I'm guessing they don't have 'Superfly Guy' or 'Hey Music Lover' anymore (GRRRRRR @ the previous Rage library culls, yet again). I've got both, but it would have been nice to get a digital copy from rage (well, pre the watermark).

Yeah, would have liked to see either of those as well but no doubt they're gone forever, like so many other gems...

It's My Party was one out of the box.Haven't seen that one in a long time

I wonder if the Petula Clark 'Downtown' clip will be the original or the 1988 remix? I'm hoping it's the latter

ohnoitisnathan
^ The S-Express clips are good, but both have aired on Rage in the last 7 or so years. I'm guessing they don't have 'Superfly Guy' or 'Hey Music Lover' anymore (GRRRRRR @ the previous Rage library culls, yet again). I've got both, but it would have been nice to get a digital copy from rage (well, pre the watermark).

Hiya Nathan

Did you get the Mixmash ones? I think the Mixmash audio is much better than Rage's?

If you don't have the Mixmash ones and want them just let me know?

Lee, I've got 'Downtown '88' from both mixmash and Video Pool. However, the mixmash version is f'ed up for some reason (jumps and misses part of the verse).

They played 'Downtown '88' (even though it wasn't a hit here until well into '89) on VH1 a couple of years ago, which I got on disc. Out of curiosity, what version did they play on rage last night?

Michael
They played 'Downtown '88' (even though it wasn't a hit here until well into '89) on VH1 a couple of years ago, which I got on disc. Out of curiosity, what version did they play on rage last night?

I am glad I made the effort to watch and tape the start of last nights show as I was originally not going to bother - Downtown was actually an original clip from 1965 from the USA TV show Shindig - never knew the ABC had a copy of this original performance at all.

That Barbara Gaskin/Dave Stewart Its My Party clip I have not seen for decades - others may know if this is the 1st time it has screened on Rage or not - although it may have been in a Wildcard special some time back.

Brett (2)
That Barbara Gaskin/Dave Stewart Its My Party clip I have not seen for decades - others may know if this is the 1st time it has screened on Rage or not - although it may have been in a Wildcard special some time back.

Searching with google, it hasn't aired on Rage since at least 1997. I'm guessing it could well be its first airing ever on Rage. I hadn't seen the clip before, and didn't even know the song (due to my 'youth' ) - though I'd heard about it before.

I like both versions of 'Downtown', so didn't mind seeing the original. Although the blooming yellow 'PG' watermark square extended into the video's first few seconds. How ridiculous - especially when the pre-show viewer advisory thing rated the show as 'MA'! I really hate that yellow 'PG' square, which has been an ever-present feature since Rage became watermarked, thanks to Media Hub.

It wasn't a bad episode of Rage... just nothing really too exciting. The handful of early 00's clips though was quite disturbing, given this is retro month. It's too soon to revisit that era! (and it is questionable why anyone would want to revisit it, ever).

Good to see a couple of them were rarities, at least as far as Rage showing them goes.

Gaskin/Stewart may be the first screening on Rage although they were on an episode of Countdown shown back in 1999. I don't recall having seen it on Rage as a stand alone clip. Patrick did suggest it for Mardi Gras about a year ago, maybe that helped them to find it.

They had shown the same Petula Clark clip when Sally Seltmann guestprogrammed in August 2010 but it may only be the second ever airing.

It wasn't a bad nights programming if it were shown in the Feb-Dec period but I was hoping for something genuine retro in it like an episode of Countdown, especially considering recent events.

Will keep hopes up that when the real thing starts next week we won't be disappointed.

The It's My Party clip is great - a classic of that era.

Fingers crossed January will be a good one for Countdowns and other gems being shown - only 4 weeks this year so hope Rage make the most of it.

I'm now hoping Countdown starts around 12.30am or later on Saturday nights. I'm working til 12am on Saturdays. I know I can record it if it starts earlier, but I like to watch it live.

ohnoitisnathan

Nathan, I have Superfly Guy and Hey Music Lover in FAB condition with no logo's or anything!

It's My Party was INDEED the first airing ever on rage as an actual promo clip on rage!

I missed it as I was in SYdney for Culture Club & Pet Shop Boys. When it came on I was so UPSET!!! Please, can anyone dvd me a copy on dvd???

Only time it has been shown on rage was on a 1981 Countdown episode repeated on rage in the late 90s...