Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sharon O'Neill

rage are playing 'Maybe' on rage tomorrow night on the Break Up special after 5:30 am on Sunday morning, YAY!!!

Re: Sharon O'Neill

Sharon O'Neill definitely the highlight of the Break Up Special and nice to see Greg Kihn, OMD, Psychedelic Furs, Motels, Quarterflash, Cyndi Lauper etc.

Some of those songs are a bit left field for classification as Break Up. I thought Lionel Richie's Hello was a get together song not a Break Up. "Hello, is it me your looking for?" doesn't sound like pack your bags and leave. At the end of the clip (which is fairly schmucky) Lionel gets together with his blind clay modeller. Doesn't look like it was a heartbreaker, unless he walked out on a wife to be with that blind student - I guess I didn't see that in the clip. Maybe I need to look deeper.

Rage said they were going to "be mining the vaults for this one". Must be a shallow vault overall but a fair bit better than some of their recent specials - Chart Toppers, Family Affair and Animals.

Guru Bob

Rage said they were going to "be mining the vaults for this one". Must be a shallow vault overall .

Yep, shallow alright or maybe they just skimmed the surface. A few interesting choices in there but overall pretty disappointing.
Oh well, at least they're playing Split Enz's Hope I Never...the perfect breakup song.

'Hello' - yes that's definitely not a break up song. Perhaps if it was called 'Goodbye' maybe? Those Gen Y'ers, they seem to think a slow/love song is a breakup song.

'The Breakup Song' - Greg Kihn Band, I thought there wasn't a video clip to it??? Mabye I haven't been looking hard enough?

Same as you Guru, highlights are 'Maybe', 'Heartbreak Beat', 'My First Night Without You', 'If You Leave', 'Total Control'.

Methinks Gen Y folk think anything and everything's a break-up song

A great song. It will be good to have this clip again.

I am excited by Cyndi Lauper as well BUT I have it logo free from when rage had their last Cyndi Lauper special. I am only recording things off rage I don't have rather than re record them with a logo. There are some GEMS in there but they are far in between, that's for sure!

Is Sharon O'Neill's Maybe single a promo video clip or Countdown performance?

It was a promo video clip.

Jason - I too have the Cyndi Lauper special from August 2004. That was a great special, as was the Kate Bush special soon after it. I had just got my DVD Recorder in early '04 and was able to record both on disc. However, this was before I realised that ABC was on Foxtel, so I recorded it through the analogue signal, but the picture still looks great and the sound is a lot louder - which is even better.

^ That's the downside of digital TV (at least using a set top box) - the audio is much quieter

I too recorded the Kate Bush special on my DVD recorder in analogue. Thankfully, I had relatively clear reception that night, so there's not soo many analogue imperfections throughout.

Even with my built in set top box the volume is quieter. In the end though, I would rather have lower volume than have to many analogue imperfections. i remember Countdowns in rage in January back in the 90s. It was HELL as every time a car would drive in my street all these dots would come up on the screen!

But I have also noticed that digital can many a times have pix elation as well which happened every Saturday in January this year :-(

It all S U X !!!

That's funny about cars driving in your street stuffing up your TV signal. (sorry). I had TV problems when recording Countdown in '93. For some reason when anyone opened the fridge or turned off the light, it stuffed up the picture. I had to make sure the few years following that I got anything I needed out of the fridge before pulling a Countdown all nighter.

I have almost the same issue on digital.

I just cannot keep my mobile anywhere near my dvd recorder (it has a built-in digital tuner). In a straight line which is about 2 or 3 metres it still is enough to pixellate the picture as I'm about to receive a text message or a call. I just end up moving the phone to another part of the room or even the next room just so it doesn't screw up the recording. Nuts...

Michael
That's funny about cars driving in your street stuffing up your TV signal. (sorry). I had TV problems when recording Countdown in '93. For some reason when anyone opened the fridge or turned off the light, it stuffed up the picture. I had to make sure the few years following that I got anything I needed out of the fridge before pulling a Countdown all nighter.

HA, HA... I was the same. Even with my built in set top box this January I couldn't turn on the fan or put on lights or open the fridge. And everything has to be done either before or when something like Recovery is on!>.. It's so ridiculous!!!

Jason 'The Moderator'

HA, HA... I was the same. Even with my built in set top box this January I couldn't turn on the fan or put on lights or open the fridge. And everything has to be done either before or when something like Recovery is on!>.. It's so ridiculous!!!

There's a use for Recovery in retro month after all...

My first set top box only lasted 6 months; my current one I've had since mid 2008. The second one is louder, and I can increase the audio input to my HDD by 6dB, but it's still quieter than analogue. Yes, the digital picture is better though... well, provided there's no pixellation or audio glitches when a light is turned on or off upstairs, or a door slams in the wind. The trouble with digital though is that it's pretty much an all or nothing thing; whereas with analogue, you could usually always at least get *some* picture, no matter how crappy it was.