Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Suzi Quatro to GP Rage

Looking forward to seeing Suzi.
She's out here in Aus just about every year so there's been quite a few requests on the Rage messageboard for her to host Rage.
It's great to finally see her on.

Can't wait to see her playlist.

Re: Suzi Quatro to GP Rage

Alice Cooper and Suzi Quatro should both be interesting, although past experience has also shown the GPs tend to pick predictable videos so it is more hoping than anything.

I am looking forward to the artist specials after the GP slot, hopefully they have some rarities.

Yes Bob, often seems to be the case that their playlist turns out to be pretty bland.
Hopefully Suzi will surprise us.

I am looking forward to the artist specials after the GP slot, hopefully they have some rarities.

Hope so - some Glam Rock rarities would definitely be in order, although don't think too many still exist in the Rage library.
They did play Sweet's "Fox on The Run" the other week though so you never know...

I did have a quick look through the GTK archives last night and there were a few Alice Cooper clips from around 1973 that I had not seen before but all four of the Suzi Quatro clips have surfaced on Rage. Hope Rage dig a little deeper.

Only four Suzi Q clips? Gee, I hope maybe Suzi can lend them some more of hers.

Yes, hope Rage aren't going to be lazy and just trundle out the same old, same old clips we've all seen a million times before.

That's only 4 GTK clips but there is other material there, just that it is from the late 70's to early 80's so not the glam era.

They showed Tear Me Apart from 1977 on Rage last year and Suzi also performed that live on the 100th episode of Countdown.

Just depends what they feel like showing.

YAY! :-)

If You Can't Give Me Love-bring it on!

Was there ever a clip for Michael?
"Badada Badadadada Mr. Vain"...

I love that song.

I don't think there was a clip to 'Micheal'. I think it was only released as a single in Australia. Her new CD 'In The Spotlight' has a great song on it called 'Whatever Love Is'(youtube link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFPP0-JnSQ&feature=related

Yes, can't recall ever seeing a clip for Michael.

That new song isn't bad but so different from the old Suzi - she has obviously mellowed with age...

I see Suzi has done a cover of the Eagles 'Desperado' and she will have been in the music industry for 50 years come 2014. Now that's an achievement!

Suzi is making her one and only instore appearance in Australia today at Songland Records, Canberra. The deal is you have to be the first 100 to buy/pre-order her new album with the music store and then you can meet her up close and personal. I think I'll be watching from a distance. . Funny though, if I did meet her I would probably only ask her about her experience on Countdown!

Suzi was great on RocKwiz last night....such a shy, retiring soul.
She looks fantastic for a 61 yr old and wow, so much energy and sass !

Hi, I have very good quality Suzi DVDs (many Pro-shot) and many very rare. I am looking for good quality copy of her performance for Ausie TV from 1977. I have a copy but middle quality only.

Well, that was dissappointingly bland and unimaginative overall!
Suzi seems like a lovely lady but I expected her playlist to be really good, including lots of her contemporaries around back in her heyday.

Enjoyed the mini Glam special afterwards though, ( which a few of us had recently asked for on their messageboard.)
Great to see that the guys at Rage do quite often listen to and take on board our requests and suggestions.

Would have preferred they play more early Roxy Music like Ladytron and lots more early Sweet (at the height of their Glam period) but I'm guessing there wouldn't be too many clips of theirs in the library.

Great to see they've FINALLY fixed/replaced the cut off clip for Ballroom Blitz after many years of persisting with the butchered one !!
Was hoping they might also play Alvin Stardust's My Coo Ca Choo instead of that other lame clip of his.

Some rare Marc Bolan clips in there and loved seeing those David Essex clips - what a pretty, pretty man!!

YES I too was hoping for a much more substancial playlist of Suzi Quatro music videos. I know for a fact there are more than that. What happened to her original and most popular song clip "Devil Gate Drive" not to mention the "Can The Can" original colour clip and "If You Can't Give Me Love" and "Stumblin In" with Chris Norman, "The Race Is On" all these songs had original music clips made by Suzi as I remember them being shown at the time of their chart success and the minor hit "Lipstick" which could have been shown from a 1981 Countdown. I'm very disappointed with last Sunday mornings collection. Even if "Rage" don't have access to all of them there were "GTK" clips that featured Suzi Quatro during an Aus tour and they didn't show them. One can only hope that when Belinda Carlisle returns to tour Australia Feb next year we see her guest programme "Rage" and we see her entire music video clip collection. "Rage" wasted "Suzi Quatro" guest programmer for me as far as I'm concerned. Nevertheless Suzi was great and entertaining and for the most part her clip selection wasn't too bad at the end of the day.

Hi Scott & Christina

The problem is the lack of Suzi Quatro clips in the ABC archive - the GTK black & white versions of songs like Can The Can & Daytona Demon are the only versions which exist unfortunately. Promo clips in colour do exist for Can The Can, 48 Crash, Devil Gate Drive as well as later songs like If You Cant Give Me Love and the duet with Chris Norman but they seem to reside in overseas archives rather than Australia.

Having said that, there was a number of other GTK items of Suzi that could have been shown with a bit more research I am sure.

There is precious little Glam material also that the ABC can lay their hands on - the likes of The Sweet, Alvin Stardust, T Rex and so on have mountains of material but it is all located in the archives of TV stations in Europe and the UK - as Australia had absolutely no pop music show bar GTK from 1972 to 1974 - until the start of Countdown (mainly due to actors equity and musician unions action banning miming on TV music and variety shows which effectively stopped the lot at the end of 1972) the existence of any clips from the height of Glam Rock is very sporadic in this country.

Brett (2)
Hi Scott & Christina

The problem is the lack of Suzi Quatro clips in the ABC archive - the GTK black & white versions of songs like Can The Can & Daytona Demon are the only versions which exist unfortunately. Promo clips in colour do exist for Can The Can, 48 Crash, Devil Gate Drive as well as later songs like If You Cant Give Me Love and the duet with Chris Norman but they seem to reside in overseas archives rather than Australia.

Having said that, there was a number of other GTK items of Suzi that could have been shown with a bit more research I am sure.

There is precious little Glam material also that the ABC can lay their hands on - the likes of The Sweet, Alvin Stardust, T Rex and so on have mountains of material but it is all located in the archives of TV stations in Europe and the UK - as Australia had absolutely no pop music show bar GTK from 1972 to 1974 - until the start of Countdown (mainly due to actors equity and musician unions action banning miming on TV music and variety shows which effectively stopped the lot at the end of 1972) the existence of any clips from the height of Glam Rock is very sporadic in this country.

Yes indeed, rage's archives doesn't seem to have much precious Glam Rock material at all :-( I have a wonderful vhs compilation from The Sweet with dozens of TOTP performances on it. Maybe I should send rage a copy, hehehe. Pity they don't have more T-Rex or Gary Glitter :-(

There is precious little Glam material also that the ABC can lay their hands on - the likes of The Sweet, Alvin Stardust, T Rex and so on have mountains of material but it is all located in the archives of TV stations in Europe and the UK -

Yes Brett, seems Aus's Glam collection is pitifully paltry to say the least.
Lucky UK and Europe!!

Perhaps you should offer to lend Rage your TOTP Sweet collection, Jason..
That way many others can get to appreciate the Sweet in all their campest Glam glory.

As far as I'm concerned the Sweet were the absolute epitomy of everything Glam.

Why does Australian television don't have its pop music show from 1973 to 1974 after Bandstand, Happening 70s and Hit Scene were finished in 1972?

Nicholas
Why does Australian television don't have its pop music show from 1973 to 1974 after Bandstand, Happening 70s and Hit Scene were finished in 1972?

Hi Nicholas - as mentioned in my last posting, the lack of pop music shows in 1973 and 1974 were mainly due to a musician and theatrical union ban on miming which came into effect at the end of 1972. In fact it was the REASON shows like Bandstand, Hitscene and Happening 72 all finished and were never screened again in Australia. Producers/TV stations could no longer afford the cost of producing a pop music program if they had to employ a full backing band or orchestra to allow live performances - not feasible at all. For a time at the beginning Countdown also had to use live vocals and a re-recorded backing track but gradually miming did return to Countdown - as we all know - by the late 1970's.

This practice of not allowing miming was not restricted to Australia - in the UK with Top Of The Pops there was a similar ban introduced in 1966 but by the early 70's miming was again commonplace on TOTP.

Friends, you live in Australia, there is discussion about cool clips Suzi Quatro, but when I ask who has a TV show Suzi of 1977 here in Australia, it is no answer to my question. What's wrong with you? Where are the fans of Suzi Quatro? If you want rare performances by Suzi, the place to be actually, I have. See my web page resumes and let someone who has the appearance of very good quality in 1977

Jan
Friends, you live in Australia, there is discussion about cool clips Suzi Quatro, but when I ask who has a TV show Suzi of 1977 here in Australia, it is no answer to my question. What's wrong with you? Where are the fans of Suzi Quatro? If you want rare performances by Suzi, the place to be actually, I have. See my web page resumes and let someone who has the appearance of very good quality in 1977

Unfortunately no-one has it Jan which is why you received no response. In 1977 no-one had video recorders and anything from that period is extremely rare - trust me - if I don't have a copy myself then it is very very rare. If I did then I would arrange a copy for you no problems at all. I do not believe anyone in Australia has this special at all - I think you said you had a poor copy - can you please tell me which TV network screened this in Australia and I can investigate. The original master tape may well not exist either - much material from that era was wiped over here in Australia as you will be aware.

You are right by the way - there is much more material in Europe of all the glam bands and artists like Suzi Quatro than there is in Australia where we have very little. Jan - you would have one of the biggest collections of anyone in the world of this kind of material.

On another note, just saw the announcement of another discovery of a missing UK Top Of The Pops performnance from 1973 of David Bowie doing "The Jean Genie" - from all the attention this has received it looks as if clips like this are a holy grail for both David Bowie and Top Of The Pops collectors alike. I have just viewed the clip and it is very impressive!!

Man,that Jean Genie clip is AWESOME!!!Mick Ronson's guitar sound is an absolute killer and Bowie proving to be no slouch on the harmonica either.
That's probably the first clip I've seen from TOTP that was done 100% live.Wonder if there's more TOTP performances like it?
Bravo to TOTP cameraman John Henshall for unearthing such a fantastic clip.

Spot on John - it is amazing - would have to be the greatest TOTP discovery - as far as missing material goes - of all time. Live performances were uncommon at the time.

John
Man,that Jean Genie clip is AWESOME!!!Mick Ronson's guitar sound is an absolute killer and Bowie proving to be no slouch on the harmonica either.
That's probably the first clip I've seen from TOTP that was done 100% live.Wonder if there's more TOTP performances like it?
Bravo to TOTP cameraman John Henshall for unearthing such a fantastic clip.

Yes, the Bowie lost TOTP performance is wonderful. He looks stunning!

Hi Brett (2), I'll check what a logo is... The programme was titled "Suzi Q-The wild one" and it was showed (or recorded? I don't know) at 14 July 1977 in Australian TV.
About David Bowie TOTP - I have TOTP collection 1972-2002 if someone is interested.

Just I found this information on net: Suzi Q: The Wild One, Australian TV b'cast July 14, 1977, filmed at Melbourne Festival Hall. My copy is in colour but sometimes are drops and colour is missing either....

Hi Jan-could you share with us the tracklisting for that TOTP collection,and the condition its in?

Just I checked my video and on it not any logo of TV...

It was the clips on the TOTP collection I was asking about

Yes, I know what you asking but I answered to earlier question.

Here are SUZI performances on TOTP that I have on my DVD disc:
Suzi Quatro Can The Can 25th December, 1973 Noel Edmonds, Tony Blackburn Performance
Suzi Quatro Devil Gate Drive 27th December, 1974 Noel Edmonds, Dave Lee Travis Repeat Performance
Suzi Quatro Tear Me Apart 17th February, 1977 Paul Burnett Performance
Suzi Quatro Tear Me Apart 17th March, 1977 Tony Blackburn Performance
Suzi Quatro Roxy Roller 19th May, 1977 David Jensen Performance
Suzi Quatro If You Cant Give Me Love 16th March, 1978 Peter Powell Performance
Suzi Quatro If You Cant Give Me Love 30th March, 1978 David Jensen Performance
Suzi Quatro Shes In Love With You 18th October, 1979 Dave Lee Travis Performance
Suzi Quatro Shes In Love With You 15th November, 1979 David Jensen Repeat Performance
Suzi Quatro Mamas Boy 24th January, 1980 Mike Read Performance