Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Icehouse DVD

Hi Guys

Just checking to see if anybody has got their Icehouse:White Heat DVD as yet?

Re: Icehouse DVD

I saw it in JB today but I am waiting for my pre ordered signed copy to come. Was depressing seeing it int he shop but not having it!

I got it,though not a signed copy.The DVD tracklist is as follows...
Can't Help Myself
We Can Get Together(Australasian Version)
We Can Get Together(International Version)
Walls
Icehouse
Love In Motion(Original Single Version)
Great Southern Land
Hey,Little Girl
Street Cafe
Glam
Taking The Town
Don't Believe Anymore
Dusty Pages
No Promises(International Version)
No Promises(UK Version)
Baby,You're So Strange
Mr Big
Cross The Border
Crazy(Australasian Version)
Crazy(International Version)
Electric Blue
My Obsession
Man Of Colours
Nothing Too Serious
Touch The Fire
Big Fun
Miss Divine
Anything Is Possible
Satellite
Big Wheel
Invisible People
Love In Motion(w/Christina Amphlett)
Sister(from Countdown 1980)

I bought my copy in JB Hi-Fi today during my (rather late) 'lunch' break. Jason (and others with 4:3 aspect ratio TV's) - you'll be pleased to know that the DVD displays properly on a 4:3 TV. I tried it on my 'work' computer though before getting home, and it looked like it was all set to widescreen, therefore appearing windowboxed on a 4:3 TV. However, I just tried it in my player at home and it displays fine. And it's PAL too, thank 'God'!

ohnoitisnathan
I bought my copy in JB Hi-Fi today during my (rather late) 'lunch' break. Jason (and others with 4:3 aspect ratio TV's) - you'll be pleased to know that the DVD displays properly on a 4:3 TV. I tried it on my 'work' computer though before getting home, and it looked like it was all set to widescreen, therefore appearing windowboxed on a 4:3 TV. However, I just tried it in my player at home and it displays fine. And it's PAL too, thank 'God'!

Hey Nathan

What is the quality of the videos like and is it PCM audio or Dolby Digital?

Thanks mate

Lee, I haven't checked on my computer, but I'd hazard a guess to say the audio is LCPM. The disc is dual layer/DVD9. I've just started watching the DVD not long ago, and am up to the track 'Icehouse'. The bitrate seems to be between 8Mbps and 9Mbps.

I noticed some slight 'artifacts' on the video for 'We Can Get Together (Australasion version)' and 'Icehouse'. 'We Can Get Together (Australasian version)' looks like a VHS source cleaned up. The sound is quite good. I suspect the later videos won't have such 'artifacts'.

I have now been charged on my paypal account for the $21.99 for the signed White Heat Icehouse set, so should receive it next week. Their music is such quality, I already have the 3 cd box set released in the 90's, plus Great Southern Land best of CD - but am still excited to be getting this!! Gotta love "Taking This Town".[:)

Lee reply Part 2 - I've watched a few more clips on the DVD now. It's quite 'watchable' on the whole, but unfortunately there seems to be some minor white 'speckles' on the picture on a few of the earlier clips. 'Don't Believe Anymore', a favourite of mine, unfortunately seems to be one of the worst with this. Bright picture, great sound, but a few white speckles here and there. I was watching it fairly close to the TV though. Still, it's great to have all of their videos on an official DVD release.

The 'Measure For Measure' videos onwards don't seem to suffer this affliction.

PS - the DVD has Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound options.

Jason PS - unfortunately 'No Promises (International version)', the one beginning with the Sydney Harbour Bridge footage, is in full widescreen rather than letterboxed widescreen as it originally was. It's enlarged on a 4:3 TV like Rage's letterboxed widescreen videos from the 80s/90s are.

'Taking the Town' and 'Big Wheel' are also in full widescreen.

Lee - to properly answer your original question, the sound is Dolby Digital 5.1

Thanks heaps for all the replies Nathan.

I am surprised that there would be white speckles on the videos, because my vhs videos of certainly don't show these, I wonder if they have the masters?

A bit disappointing in regards to the widescreen videos but I suppose I can't do much about it, still sounds like a terrific DVD for sure. It would be very hard to find all the videos that is for sure.

But I must admit there is 2 versions of Great Southern Land not incuding the '89 version, I wonder why the second is not included?

Lee
I am surprised that there would be white speckles on the videos, because my vhs videos of certainly don't show these, I wonder if they have the masters?

Who knows. The white speckles are fairly small, but noticeable to the 'connoisseur' eye.

I see the 'Glam' music clip is the enhanced version of the one shown on the Countdown episode.

My friend told me overall the dvd is great but some of the picture on some of the videos could be better and I heard that a few clips are in widescreen.

I have copies of all the Icehouse videos in TOP NOTCH from lee and they will I think look better than the official DVD.

What I am MOST excited about witht his official DVD is 'Glam'!!!. I hear that is in 4.3 (thankfully)!!!! :-)

Won't get mine till during the week as I pre ordered the signed copy.

Why 'Taking The Town' is in widescreen is beyond me??!!!!

My fav 'No Promises' copy is the one where he is up high with the strings and I hear that is in 4.3:-)

Don't know why the Flowers clips seem to have white specs on the video as my Icehouse Masterfile and other copy that Lee made me has NONE of that!!!

So why are mine better?,,,, Weird!

I've had a proper watch of the rest of the DVD. The sound on 'Man of Colours' has that too loud/distorted noise for 's' sounds throughout, sadly - at least on my TV.

Although the DVD displays in 4:3 on my HDD/DVD recorder, when I tried it in another DVD player of mine, it displayed stretched vertically with horizontal bars each side . When I tried ripping some clips in DVD Shrink it also had this vertical stretching.

I've been able to copy the DVD in 4:3 (sans the widescreen clips) by using my Pioneer HDD's 'One Touch Copy' option.

I've uploaded the 'Don't Believe Anymore' video from the DVD to youtube here, for anyone wanting to see what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftfuStdy6xA

I've upped the audio by 6dB before uploading to youtube.

Ooooh, what's one touch copy????

Jason "The Moderator"

Oh it's just a button I have on my remote control. Basically, it's just my DVD recorder making a copy of the disc onto my HDD as it plays in real time. When I tried to copy the original Icehouse DVD using Nero or DVD Shrink, it copied it in widescreen, although with the picture appearing stretched vertically when played on my DVD player.

Here's 'Miss Divine' from the DVD I've uploaded to youtube (slowly working through the backlog of clips from my original OhNoItIsNathan channel that was suspended in late 2009):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYGVufN7df4

Some more clips I've uploaded from the DVD to youtube:

My Obsession http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-EKUVEcvNw

Nothing Too Serious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Zq0JK1PFA

Man of Colours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3g9ctwEpw

Big Fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i8kh27I8x4

I watched some of the Icehouse DVD and I am SOOOOO ****** off with what Iva has done with the 'Glam' video!... It's got all these effects on it, just VILE! :-(

ohnoitisnathan
Jason "The Moderator"

Oh it's just a button I have on my remote control. Basically, it's just my DVD recorder making a copy of the disc onto my HDD as it plays in real time. When I tried to copy the original Icehouse DVD using Nero or DVD Shrink, it copied it in widescreen, although with the picture appearing stretched vertically when played on my DVD player.

One question Nathan, how do you get around the anti-copy with your OTR button?

Jason 'The Moderator'
I watched some of the Icehouse DVD and I am SOOOOO ****** off with what Iva has done with the 'Glam' video!... It's got all these effects on it, just VILE! :-(

This version of Glam is the one have I never liked. I was so happy when ABC replayed the CountDown episode with the untouched version on it. As all other music shows in the 80's played the one that's on this DVD compilation. Countdown must have got these video clips early before they were mucked around with. As i remember a different edited version of the 'Taking The Town' video.

I agree, the video for 'Glam' on the DVD is s h i t e! Thank god for Countdown! and the video for 'No Promises' (Sydney Harbour Bridge) looks very grainy - a copy from a VHS tape?

Lee
One question Nathan, how do you get around the anti-copy with your OTR button?

The 'White Heat' DVD isn't copy-protected, as far as I can tell.

Michael
and the video for 'No Promises' (Sydney Harbour Bridge) looks very grainy - a copy from a VHS tape?

It's probably grainy because they've done the 'Rage' treatment of enlarging what was actually a letterboxed widescreen video to fill the full widescreen screen.

Oh I have waited so long for this DVD... will get it next week.

Actually I prefer the "rage" treatment to faux-widescreen 4:3 clips. The MPEG standards say that any black borders on a video should be removed when encoding because black borders contains no information. And maximising the image size on the display screen makes sense to me.

If you present a letterboxed 4:3 clip on a widescreen TV all you get is a tiny picture with a big fat border all the way around (called "windowboxing") and I think it looks really, really silly.

If a DVD is authored correctly, both widescreen and 4:3 video sources can be presented correctly on either a 4:3 or 16:9 screen. As I don't have my copy of this yet, I can't say if this is the case with this DVD.